Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

The fact that they didn't try to call it Super Tuesday 4 is the height of journalistic restraint.
They're probably saving that for Apr 26: Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Uranium Phoenix posted:

I would guess most people have no idea about that, because Americans have no idea about most of our foreign policy.

Edit: An old survey says only 17% can find Afghanistan on a map (2002), and a slightly newer one has all sorts of bad news (half can't find New York), and you can find plenty of other polls showing an atrocious lack of knowledge. The fact that the media pretty much never talks about it doesn't help, because most folks aren't going to learn more than what TV news or a favorite news site tells them.

I mean is knowing where Afghanistan really all that important? like big whoop people don't know where Afghanistan is they got more important poo poo to deal with.

The not knowing where New York is thing is more surprising but eh it's not like you absolutely need to know where it is, Geography isn't really important in a world where you can just use GPS to get everywhere

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

The fact that they didn't try to call it Super Tuesday 4 is the height of journalistic restraint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8I9pYCl9AQ&t=6s

:ohdear:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

mandatory lesbian posted:

I mean is knowing where Afghanistan really all that important? like big whoop people don't know where Afghanistan is they got more important poo poo to deal with.

The not knowing where New York is thing is more surprising but eh it's not like you absolutely need to know where it is, Geography isn't really important in a world where you can just use GPS to get everywhere

I wonder how much money we could save by abolishing math classes and issuing cheapo calculators to students.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Gravel Gravy posted:

I wonder how much money we could save by abolishing math classes and issuing cheapo calculators to students.

Auto correct for writing too.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Of course Rubio out before we can make "Go Western Tuesday, Lil' Marco" jokes.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Trump back in the day
https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/711919433200082944

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

While I'll give you Afghanistan, you absolutely should be able to locate the major cities of each state if you're an American kid. That's just sad.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

It's 3/21. That's Countdown Monday.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Stretch Marx posted:

While I'll give you Afghanistan, you absolutely should be able to locate the major cities of each state if you're an American kid. That's just sad.

okay but is it the kids fault if they didn't get educated on it? i took a geography class once way back in high school, i can see someone forgetting poo poo like that very easily if that's all they got.

i think knowing american cities is significantly more important then countries if you live here but i'm not blaming the kid if they don't know

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

US pol I have a dumb question that's been bothering me
If Clinton picks Julian Castro as her VP does Joaquin also get secret service protection due to being an identical twin?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

If Clinton picks Julian Castro as her VP does Joaquin also get secret service protection due to being an identical twin?
Why would he? He's not the same person.

He might get protection as a result of being immediate family.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

Have you recently watched Kagemusha?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

The better question is if the brothers would swap places every once in a while to mess with Hillary.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grapplejack posted:

Sadly real life is not Sister Sister

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

smg77 posted:

The better question is if the brothers would swap places every once in a while to mess with Hillary.

How could you not? :allears:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Alligator Horse posted:

Have you recently watched Kagemusha?

No but I should, it sounds like a good movie

Tatum Girlparts posted:

For security reasons, I mean. What if someone attacks him thinking he's the VP?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Tatum Girlparts posted:

http://www.chron.com/news/bizarre/article/San-Antonio-candidate-s-twin-a-parade-stand-in-1953987.php

quote:

SAN ANTONIO - Mayoral hopeful Julian Castro acknowledged Wednesday that his twin brother took his place in a parade this week, waving at onlookers who mistook the stand-in for the candidate.

Castro told the Associated Press he had a conflicting event and didn't intend to deceive anyone when state Rep. Joaquin Castro, D-San Antonio, boarded the City Council barge in the city's River Parade.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

owns

Grapplejack posted:

No but I should, it sounds like a good movie

For security reasons, I mean. What if someone attacks him thinking he's the VP?

It means you don't have to look as hard for a body double to protect the VP?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Two VP's for the price of one!

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

okay but is it the kids fault if they didn't get educated on it? i took a geography class once way back in high school, i can see someone forgetting poo poo like that very easily if that's all they got.

i think knowing american cities is significantly more important then countries if you live here but i'm not blaming the kid if they don't know
If nothing else it shows a surprising (or rather, depressingly ordinary) lack of curiousness. Even if you're completely ignorant, I'd hope that when you hear about or read a story about a state e.g. New York, part of the loving country you live in, and it occurs to you that you don't even know where the hell it is, that you would just naturally at least find out where it exists in physical space.

Schools don't teach that curiosity, either, and that might be even worse. Not to mention American culture itself hardly reinforces it. Even your response to the fact is a good example of that: kids didn't learn where New York is in school, so how can we expect them to know it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My opinion is that if someone is like "hell, I say bomb 'em all to the stone age" they should at least be able to pick out the country on a map.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

As a Buffalonian, I can sadly report that this would play well here. Zubaz are still considered acceptable attire today, though only in red and royal blue.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

dr_rat posted:

Two VP's for the price of one!

Does that mean they get two votes for a tie breaker, and the tie break threshold is 49? Sure it requires a tortured rationalization of dubious legitimacy, but that seems to be par for the course in the Senate now.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Gravel Gravy posted:

Calculators help but math is so much more complex than that.

My history professor said it best when he said memorizing dates isn't important because you can easily look up when something happened in a book.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I feel like this falls just shy of amazing.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
One or both of them need to start shadowing Biden now on how to be a proper veep

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
nor will a good math professor dock many points if you make an arithmatic error in a complex proof that is otherwise sound

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Too many people without childhoods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pOFKmk7ytU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I can say where all the countries are except when you start to get into west Africa :/

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kilroy posted:

If nothing else it shows a surprising (or rather, depressingly ordinary) lack of curiousness. Even if you're completely ignorant, I'd hope that when you hear about or read a story about a state e.g. New York, part of the loving country you live in, and it occurs to you that you don't even know where the hell it is, that you would just naturally at least find out where it exists in physical space.

Schools don't teach that curiosity, either, and that might be even worse. Not to mention American culture itself hardly reinforces it. Even your response to the fact is a good example of that: kids didn't learn where New York is in school, so how can we expect them to know it?

schools where i grew up definitely are all about learning material and not really caring about it beyond the next test, or at least they were like that 6 years ago. i doubt they've changed much in teaching approach tho. unfortunately i don't know what to say about adults who don't care to learn stuff, i'm not sure if school has always been like that or what.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

I can say where all the countries are except when you start to get into west Africa :/

racist :colbert:

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

blackguy32 posted:

My history professor said it best when he said memorizing dates isn't important because you can easily look up when something happened in a book.

Yeah you'd think, you can look up where Afghanistan is too, but apparently only 17% of the people surveyed ever did.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
for what it's worth i don't think being ignorant is good it's just when you're living paycheck to paycheck i can see where knowledge of the outside world becomes insanely less important to you

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

blackguy32 posted:

I used to think dates weren't important but then I realized that dates help immensely when trying to build a chronology of events to remember what happened in the past, and why. Causes and effects are important.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/711937287559360512

"Hello, I'm Mitt Romney and it wasn't supposed to be like this"

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

A child, no. An adult, yes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
What I wouldn't give to go back in time and tell myself in Early 2015 that Mitt Romney was going to be hard stumping for loving Ted Cruz.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/711937287559360512

"Hello, I'm Mitt Romney and it wasn't supposed to be like this"

Lol. I wonder if he has to take a break after every spot to go to the men's room and cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

We live in crazy times. An outsider Republican candidate as TV reality show star "steals" the nomination by being too popular, so establishment seek to derail the election by running as a third party against their own party. :psyduck: What a world.

If you tried to sell that story to a publisher as fiction, it'd be laughed out the door as too far-fetched.

• Locked thread