Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Counterpoint: even a $50 Vizio sound bar notably improves sound over almost every tv I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Counterpoint: even a $50 Vizio sound bar notably improves sound over almost every tv I've ever heard.

This. Speakers are installed in TVs because they have to be, but anyone that's serious about home theater is using a soundbar or surround sound setup.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Variable 5 posted:

This. Speakers are installed in TVs because they have to be, but anyone that's serious about home theater is using a soundbar or surround sound setup.

I agree for the most part except that higher end tvs can have decent speakers installed. Well... Compared to sound bars which usually don't have great speakers either to be honest. At least my vizio sound bar doesn't. Just above the quality of my TV speakers. But it does have the subwoofer.

And anyone serious about home theater sound is going to want way better than what a sound bar can offer.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

BonoMan posted:

And anyone serious about home theater sound is going to want way better than what a sound bar can offer.

Yep. If you're happy with the sound from the TV and want a real upgrade, save your pennies and get a decent reciever and some nice ELAC speakers in a 2.x/3.x/5.x setup.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The only thing people who use soundbars are serious about is their wives/partners approving how the living room looks.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

sellouts posted:

The only thing people who use soundbars are serious about is their wives/partners approving how the living room looks.

I hate how this is viewed as a ridiculous goal.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Me too, I legit love my Sonos. Would I love to have a rack of McIntosh, yeah of course, but whatever.

Also, Microcenter will do the 65EF9500 for $3500 in store only. God I wish they'd release the B6 so I could see/compare the two or at least know the price point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For the last year or two I thought I was sold on the LG OLED screen, but went to see a few in the flesh again at Best Buy and saw the Sony 75" x850 and jeeeez that's a lot of screen for not a ridiculous price right now. Time to research.

Didn't help that (hopefully) they had screwed up setting up the LG because there was a lot of weirdness going on at that top of the frame. Presumably motion interpolation crap but didn't help sell it.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I'm looking for a smaller bedroom TV and I think it's between these three:

TCL 40FS3800 40-Inch

VIZIO E40-C2 40-Inch

Samsung UN32J6300 32-Inch

Based on reputation and my experience with other Samsungs, I'm sure the UN32J6300 will be the best of the 3, but the fact that it's only 32" and $70 more than the VIZIO makes me wonder if it's worth it.

I know this thread tends to deal with 50"+ but any opinions on bargain TVs?

Also, anything I should know about wall mounting before I buy a TV or does that have more to do with the mount I select?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For anyone in the market: Vizio M-Series 50" 4k FALD 120hz $499

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

For the last year or two I thought I was sold on the LG OLED screen, but went to see a few in the flesh again at Best Buy and saw the Sony 75" x850 and jeeeez that's a lot of screen for not a ridiculous price right now. Time to research.

Didn't help that (hopefully) they had screwed up setting up the LG because there was a lot of weirdness going on at that top of the frame. Presumably motion interpolation crap but didn't help sell it.

I think everyone should decide on possible TVs based on the right size for their setup. If a 75" is what fits that's going to be a better experience than a 10" smaller OLED in my opinion. Especially when the competing TV is of good quality like the Sony 850.

That being said, the local Best Buy's setup of the 65EF9500 was a joke -- it made the TV look terrible. Bad signal, artifacts, motion issues. Terrible stuff.

Then they were selected to display the 2016 G6 signature OLED and it looked amazing. I can't believe they were selected when every other place I saw the 65EF9500 made it look amazing. It really varies that much.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it stuns me that the same bad setups of the 90s are still going on to this day. This was in the screening room area (which just seemed to be the same TVs but in a darker environment, rather than any care taken with the setup). Of course the most emphasis was on trying to get me to sign up for some service and 'book' the purchase of a TV despite them all being last years models.

I remember in the UK there was a bit of controversy when one of the bigger electronics chains had a deal with LG (I believe) at the beginning of the HD boom that essentially agreed that only their sets would be fed with a HD signal in the store, thus making them look far, far, better than essentially the same offerings from competition.

But yeah, the real decision will come when I know exactly where I'll be living and what the room will be. The LG is definitely the better quality screen, but if I've got the space the Sony/Samsung big boys will definitely be in contention. That is, unless a 65 LG comes my way at a ridiculous price, of course.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Some guy on AVSForum is reporting he got Best Buy to match a 65EF9500 for $3500 (Microcenter deal) and throw in an LG soundbar (possibly the $500 version).

If that's the case, it's a pretty sweet deal on the 65EF9500 if you flip the soundbar.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

sellouts posted:

Sound bars have their place. And that place is in your casual living room setup, when you have a dedicated HT room with much better.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
What's a solid desk-sized monitor for under $250? I'm looking at This Samsung 32", and with my dad's Rewards account it's close enough to budget to be worth it, but I don't want to miss out on a good deal otherwise. I know little about this kind of stuff other than upscaling and motion blur aren't great, and that Samsung is a reliable maker. This was posted in the Coupons & Deals subforum with a $125 gift card, but apparently that deal has expired since two days ago. :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Locke Dunnegan posted:

What's a solid desk-sized monitor for under $250? I'm looking at This Samsung 32", and with my dad's Rewards account it's close enough to budget to be worth it, but I don't want to miss out on a good deal otherwise. I know little about this kind of stuff other than upscaling and motion blur aren't great, and that Samsung is a reliable maker. This was posted in the Coupons & Deals subforum with a $125 gift card, but apparently that deal has expired since two days ago. :(

Check out the monitor thread in sh/sc; the goons there will give you options.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I

Should I consider this over the Visio E 43 inch for $350? 4K doesn't seem like something I really need, but if it can extend the life of my tv a couple years it could be worth it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DarkSun6890 posted:

Should I consider this over the Visio E 43 inch for $350? 4K doesn't seem like something I really need, but if it can extend the life of my tv a couple years it could be worth it.

I would spend an additional $150 for 7 more inches if it's in your budget, even if you don't really intend to use 4K (you probably won't notice a difference at 50").

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

EL BROMANCE posted:

The 75" 850 is awesome. I picked one up on Black Friday.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

DarkSun6890 posted:

It's not extending the life of anything.

Get the correctly sized tv for your situation. Few people ever say "man that tv is just a bit too big", many more wish they went bigger.

Unless you're like that dude who is mounting it above is fireplace angled downward, then there comes a size that just won't fit.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Doesn't anyone buy smaller TV's for bedrooms? It seems kind of nuts that there's a jump from 32" to 40".

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Doesn't anyone buy smaller TV's for bedrooms? It seems kind of nuts that there's a jump from 32" to 40".

Being in my bedroom doesn't make me want a smaller TV. I'm looking for a 50"...

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Christ we can't all have massive amounts of space

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Alternatively, I view even 32" as quite large for the bedroom. I'm not sure how one would fall asleep with something that large lighting up the room.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Alternatively, I view even 32" as quite large for the bedroom. I'm not sure how one would fall asleep with something that large lighting up the room.

Grownups don't fall asleep with the TV on. :v:

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I haven't had anything less than a 55" in my bedroom in years (I just use whatever was out in the den after upgrading). I don't think I could go any less, and I have a pretty average sized urban apartment bedroom.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

By turning it off?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Endless Mike posted:

By turning it off?

What madness is this? Kidding aside, I've never had a TV in my bedroom once I moved out of my parents house.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I do for like the first time since I moved out of my college dorms, and only because I bought a bigger living room TV and moved the old one into my bedroom. I'm still not convinced I want it there.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Endless Mike posted:

I do for like the first time since I moved out of my college dorms, and only because I bought a bigger living room TV and moved the old one into my bedroom. I'm still not convinced I want it there.

My bedroom tv is basically so I can listen to the news/traffic in the morning while getting ready for work.

And 67" is too big for the bedroom. It's my old living room tv.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Ours is going into the nursery so my wife has something to do while she's nursing.

We don't need anything crazy and it seems kind of nuts that no one talks about smallish TV's.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's a manufacturing thing. 32" is about as large as a panel you would want for a desktop monitor and people aren't buying under 40" for TVs.

So, anything in the smaller end is likely going to share a panel with a computer monitor. That weird limbo area between 32 and 40 inches is incredibly niche that doesn't have much mass market appeal. So, no one is making panels in those sizes.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yep. 37" was popular years ago but died off as 40"+ sizes became affordable. Nowadays it's either extinct or close to it.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
It's just that a decent, non-bargain bin set will start at around 400 USD. 55" is the new 40" at that price point. Anything smaller and you're paying slightly less for a lot less quality and smaller feature set.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

That sucks. I just don't have the space for anything larger than 40".

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I'm looking to mount a portrait-oriented display next to a landscape display for a commercial display. They need to be the same height/bezel design.

I can't make the math work for TVs and I'm not sure such a thing exists even in the commercial space. Anyone have any leads?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

veedubfreak posted:

The 75" 850 is awesome. I picked one up on Black Friday.

How much was it back then, out of curiosity?

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
I have a wall between my living room and kitchen areas that I'd like to mount two TVs on - a maybe 55 inch movie-night set on the living room side and a smaller news/weather/whatever watching set on the kitchen side for use when cooking dinner. Since the two sets will be mere inches away from each other, is there any way to set up a "double header" kind of thing so that they could share an airwave tuner/DVD/computer stream source? Basically, I'd love to just put all the AV equipment on the living room side but also somehow be able to swap whatever I'm watching to the kitchen side and be able to use either remote to control what's playing.

Also, a lot of what I do in the kitchen involves checking out random websites for recipes, how-to cooking videos, etc. I currently use my crusty old netbook for this, is there any way to turn the kitchen-side screen into a random web browser?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You can get HDMI splitters to feed the same signal to both TVs.

As for the web requirement, Chromecast seems like the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

KS posted:

I'm looking to mount a portrait-oriented display next to a landscape display for a commercial display. They need to be the same height/bezel design.

I can't make the math work for TVs and I'm not sure such a thing exists even in the commercial space. Anyone have any leads?

To do the math you can use http://www.displaywars.com and swap height/width between the portrait/landscape TV sizes.

e.g. a 70 inch 16x9 TV in landscape has a viewing height of 34.32 inches inches and a 40 inch 16x9 in portrait would have a height of 34.86 inches.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 22, 2016