Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Requisite "Ban Aris from commentary" post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

wait, they already ran sfv top 8? noooooo i just got home from work i really thought i'd be able to catch some of it :(

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

cams posted:

wait, they already ran sfv top 8? noooooo i just got home from work i really thought i'd be able to catch some of it :(

Unlike the Alex trailer, it's all up on Youtube now :v:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

bhsman posted:

Unlike the Alex trailer, it's all up on Youtube now :v:
people are talking about the alex reveal like it was a big joke, what happened?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

cams posted:

people are talking about the alex reveal like it was a big joke, what happened?

nothing happened. thats the joke

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Countblanc posted:

nothing happened. thats the joke
oh. that's pretty hilarious then imo.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
They told everyone to sit down because they were gonna show something, but then they just played Rashid's theme instead. It would have been kind of funny except that no one really knew what was going on and it was just awkward.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

They told everyone to sit down because they were gonna show something, but then they just played Rashid's theme instead. It would have been kind of funny except that no one really knew what was going on and it was just awkward.
oh. yeah that's WAY less funny. drat i almost gave them points.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jmcrofts posted:

yeah when I was watching I just assumed they were playing the theme as stuff got set up and then someone was like "haha trolled! what an epic troll!" and i guess there wasn't a trailer

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
look at all these cool assholes trying to pretend they didn't get epic trolled lmao

RASHIIIIDOOOOOOOOO

I want Urien trailer for NCR

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Senpai noticed:
https://twitter.com/sonicfox5000/status/711762646433865729

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

Literally a top 3 FGC commentator.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/sleepike/status/711733438328520704

Note the tongue.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

Literally a top 3 FGC commentator.

It's easy to be top 3 when your competition includes Mike Ross :smug:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

nftyw posted:

It's easy to be top 3 when your competition includes Mike Ross :smug:

poor mike only a top 4 commentator.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

mango sentinel posted:

Only if they ban Marn/Noel Brown from events first

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ventana posted:

Only if they ban Marn/Noel Brown from events first
I mean yes sure, I would like to see both of these things happen

Honestly lost a bit of respect for jwong for still associating with noel

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Aris seems like a nice guy. What he did was dumb, but I don't think he'd make the same mistake twice.

That said, he tries way too hard to be jokey on stream and it just gets grating after a while. Smart guy though. I'd like him better if he just relaxed a bit instead of trying to force a laugh every thirty seconds.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

Aris seems like a nice guy. What he did was dumb, but I don't think he'd make the same mistake twice.

That said, he tries way too hard to be jokey on stream and it just gets grating after a while. Smart guy though. I'd like him better if he just relaxed a bit instead of trying to force a laugh every thirty seconds.

His humor hits the mark more often than any other commentator I can think of. Maybe Yipes is a little more on point, but I don't really view him as a commentator.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Anyone But ZhiSonic is fine by me

like seriously, what the gently caress was up with that bit where zhi started talking about justin's 'gaijin blood' and comparing him to alucard from castlevania

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

like seriously, what the gently caress was up with that bit where zhi started talking about justin's 'gaijin blood' and comparing him to alucard from castlevania

I dunno man, Zhi is still weird, but he's reeled it in a lot compared to 2 years ago.

Shilmista
Feb 6, 2006
MAHNA MAHNA
It felt like Zhi couldn't stand to commentate the actual matches, but always wanted to tell an anecdote or make jokes. His only reactions to the matches were incredulous gasps and "WHAT WAS THAT!!"

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Cat Machine posted:

I think Aris' humor sounds a little forced, but Zhi's commentary is the most desperate, flopsweaty thing in the FGC.

Again, smart guy though. I'd enjoy his commentary if someone just sat him down and patiently explained to him that he wasn't funny.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I thought Zhi was one of the few actually providing some beneath the surface insight :shrug:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I thought Zhi was one of the few actually providing some beneath the surface insight :shrug:

He does. Dude knows the game and knows it really well. It sometimes surprises me how well he knows the games he commentates.

Then he starts making airplane noises and screaming poo poo about vampires because he's desperate for that stream monster validation. Push some numbers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Zhi seems reeled in because there wasn't a Rashid when he commentated.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
How much of a shitshow is emergency registration likely to be at NCR? Watching Final Round got me hyped up, so now I'm thinking about making the 2 hour drive up to Sacramento on Saturday to get bodied in pools and play casuals all day.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I spent yesterday watching Final Round and whenever Zhi was on I just wanted him to shut up because he's painful to listen to.

Say what you will about Ultrachen being dry or not knowing the game or whatever, but I don't get the urge to smack them. In fact, Ultradavid came to my hometown a couple weeks ago and we all played a few sets with him in SF5 and 3s and he was a really cool, chill dude.

Yipes and Chris Hu are like God-tier commentators, though. Chris Hu is like a comedy confucius and everything that comes out of his mouth is pure gold

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
#1 thing zhi does is make pained similes and never give them up

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
You missed Ultradavid commentating Master Baiter

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Sarchasm posted:

Aris seems like a nice guy.

How the gently caress do you reach this conclusion

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Brosnan posted:

How the gently caress do you reach this conclusion

Nice is the wrong word. Affable, let's say.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Provided you're not a woman or a brown person or trans or someone who cares about people who are, then yeah I'm sure he's great.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Brosnan posted:

Provided you're not a woman or a brown person or trans or someone who cares about people who are, then yeah I'm sure he's great.

Oh you just want to complain

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Oh you just want to complain

lol

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Brosnan posted:

If I missed something he did or said that was particularly horrible I'd like to know about it. I've only seen him commentate a few times in the past year and he seemed smart, if a little too jokey. I definitely don't remember him going off on minorities or trans people.

Edit: Unless you're referring to the Cross Assault thing which was, yeah, kinda rotten.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Sarchasm posted:

If I missed something he did or said that was particularly horrible I'd like to know about it. I've only seen him commentate a few times in the past year and he seemed smart, if a little too jokey. I definitely don't remember him going off on minorities or trans people.

Edit: Unless you're referring to the Cross Assault thing which was, yeah, kinda rotten.

his voice sucks and he confused battletoads with toejam and earl

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Lord Chumley posted:

he confused battletoads with toejam and earl

Ban Aris from commentary.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sarchasm posted:

Kayopolice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Sarchasm posted:

Aris has gone on record as stating that sexual harassment is an instrinsic and non-negotiable part of FGC culture, and that efforts to remove sexual harassment from the community and the culture are frankly unethical.