Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/711937287559360512

"Hello, I'm Mitt Romney and it wasn't supposed to be like this"

"I'm Mitt Romney, and I... I suppose I have to approve this message."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

Calculators help but math is so much more complex than that.

My history professor said it best when he said memorizing dates isn't important because you can easily look up when something happened in a book.

Oh wow, you don't say.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Grapplejack posted:

No but I should, it sounds like a good movie

For security reasons, I mean. What if someone attacks him thinking he's the VP?

I'm pretty sure if she picks him they will both become famous enough for that not to happen.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Lol. I wonder if he has to take a break after every spot to go to the men's room and cry.

He and Chris Christie should start a support group.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Oh wow, you don't say.

Also, philosophy is not that hard when you just state the obvious.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

UV_Catastrophe posted:

In the event that they nominate a not-Trump at the convention and Trump goes third party, there's a good chance the republican party splinters.

If Trump gets the nomination and they run an establishment republican as a third party spoiler, there is no loving way the republican party recovers from that.

I think the Republican focus on individualism and "me first" egocentric ideology at the cost of society/the greater good created a massive blind spot and inability to counteract against somebody like Trump. The candidates field seriously needed to be winnowed down early and rallied behind someone against Trump before the tidal wave of his core base and primary wins was formed and rising, but the egos of the others (especially clear hangers-on like Carson and Fiorina) prevented this. Nobody was or is willing to take one for the team, especially with assholes like Ted Cruz in the mix.

They simply couldn't react against Trump early enough for it to matter, either by dismissing him as a flash in the pan gimmick like before in 2012 or because of said blind spot (or even by ignoring the apparent need to turn away from the old white male vote as their key demographic in the aftermath of the 2012 election), and now it seems likely to mortally wound the GOP as a party.

It's almost like a Greek tragic flaw bringing low Oedipus, it's delicious. :getin:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 21, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

With Mitt Romney, you can just call them "calls" the "robo" is implied.

:mitt:

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

We live in crazy times. An outsider Republican candidate as TV reality show star "steals" the nomination by being too popular, so establishment seek to derail the election by running as a third party against their own party. :psyduck: What a world.

If you tried to sell that story to a publisher as fiction, it'd be laughed out the door as too far-fetched.

To be fair, that's sort of what happened with John Tyler, although I don't think most publishers would touch a historical fiction based on the Tyler presidency.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

blackguy32 posted:

My history professor said it best when he said memorizing dates isn't important because you can easily look up when something happened in a book.

He really said a book or is this a line you heard in an old movie?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

blackguy32 posted:

Being able to read a map and know locations is also fairly important for a variety of reasons whether practical or just for context. At the very least for the sake of the kind of people that confuse Chechnya with the Czech Republic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The Sheriff that was supporting the Bundys and whom they were on their way to meet is under criminal investigation.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...recruiter_id=17

Bundy released a statement from jail asking people to 'Stand with the Sheriff'. Which will probably go as well as people standing for Bundy did :rimshot:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Gravel Gravy posted:

Being able to read a map and know locations is also fairly important for a variety of reasons whether practical or just for context. At the very least for the sake of the kind of people that confuse Chechnya with the Czech Republic.

No it's not. The reason they don't know the difference between Chechnya and the Czech Republic is because they don't care, and it's because they don't care that they didn't care to learn where they were on a map, it's not that learning where something is on a map makes you care.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gravel Gravy posted:

Unless you're in an actual policy debate knowing where a location is doesn't really matter that much.

Like Chechnya all you really need to know is that it's somewhere near Russia. That doesn't narrow it down by much, but functionally it doesn't matter if it's in the Middle East or next to China, since all of its relations are to Russia.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

TildeATH posted:

No it's not. The reason they don't know the difference between Chechnya and the Czech Republic is because they don't care, and it's because they don't care that they didn't care to learn where they were on a map, it's not that learning where something is on a map makes you care.

I'm not sure the lesson plan should be dictated by what the kids in the back row that set fire to the toilet paper in the school's bathroom care about though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9LVRHigxiE

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zoux posted:

My opinion is that if someone is like "hell, I say bomb 'em all to the stone age" they should at least be able to pick out the country on a map.

I'd go with either Agrabah or Uz-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan. They both sound suspicious and swarthy. :clint:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

It kind of depends if this geography survey was open to any other resources or not. I mean if someone asked me point blank where Bhutan or Tuvalu are, I'd have no idea. But I do have a permanent internet connection sitting in my pocket, and I'm usually near a computer almost every hour of the day, so I can look up their location and entire history at a moment's notice. And even if you were educated and drilled in world geography in school, that's not information you're going to use very frequently, except in possibly annoying your friends with obscure knowledge. It's not surprising that sort of stuff slips away when you're busy thinking about day-to-day life. Also, here is a relevant XKCD which I mostly link to make the goons who hate XKCD fly into an irrational rage.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Unusually good goatkcd with that one.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Two VP's for the price of one!

They're always finishing each other's...

... executive orders!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Handy pic to post back at your aunts on facebook this week.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Doctor Butts posted:

I used to think dates weren't important but then I realized that dates help immensely when trying to build a chronology of events to remember what happened in the past, and why. Causes and effects are important.

His history professor is correct and it's a point just about every history professor will reiterate: Memorizing years and dates is tremendously unimportant. What is important is understanding the relativity of events and how they influence each other. Specific dates aren't necessary for that. Nice, but not important to know off the top of your head.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Captain Oblivious posted:

His history professor is correct and it's a point just about every history professor will reiterate: Memorizing years and dates is tremendously unimportant. What is important is understanding the relativity of events and how they influence each other. Specific dates aren't necessary for that. Nice, but not important to know off the top of your head.

Oddly enough, it's the History series' of Crash Course on Youtube that helped me realize that.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Gravel Gravy posted:

Honestly I think being able to point out a country on a map is less important than knowing who borders who. It's literally impossible to understand the Syrian civil war, for example, without knowing that Syria borders Iraq and Turkey. And Jordan.

I'd love to see some world maps like those ones of America some folks had a bunch of Brits fill.

Iowa

Also Iowa

Another square state

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Hot takes from the senator from Mass.

https://twitter.com/elizabethforma/status/711951221490372609

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Is there any organization that's strategically encouraging donations to the most flippable Senate races? Like planning to collect 'donate' links for the ten Dem candidates in the best position to take a currently Republican seat, and share them widely?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

"They can't even find X on a map!" is just a common trope that gets rolled out when trying to point out how dumb a certain group is and every nods their heads at "Yes, those people sure are dumb!" and no one asks why knowing where exactly someplace is on a map is supposed to be so goddamn important and how it became the baseline for how "dumb" someone is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FCKGW posted:

"They can't even find X on a map!" is just a common trope that gets rolled out when trying to point out how dumb a certain group is and every nods their heads at "Yes, those people sure are dumb!" and no one asks why knowing where exactly someplace is on a map is supposed to be so goddamn important and how it became the baseline for how "dumb" someone is.

Because it's the minimum bar for being educated. It's important because if you don't know where stuff is, you are probably an incurious person with extremely wrong foreign policy positions. Oh and your vote counts the same.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

FCKGW posted:

My favorite one of those is when Demarcus Cousins on the Basketball Olympic team(or was it FIBA) was asked that question.

https://twitter.com/poormanscommish/status/508963143197151232

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

blackguy32 posted:

And that professor was Jeb Bush

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Honestly I think being able to point out a country on a map is less important than knowing who borders who. It's literally impossible to understand the Syrian civil war, for example, without knowing that Syria borders Iraq and Turkey. And Jordan.

I'd love to see some world maps like those ones of America some folks had a bunch of Brits fill.

Iowa

Also Iowa

Another square state

You know one way to figure out who borders who?

Although I suppose that only works if you say have students who learn with visual aids or something.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

They should immediately produce a tablet with google maps open and ask "Would you be willing to learn where it is?" I'd be shocked if the percentage of people who answer no was any different than the percentage of people who werent even close.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Boon posted:

Oddly enough, it's the History series' of Crash Course on Youtube that helped me realize that.

Anybody even mildly interested in world history should watch these videos, by the way. They're very well done, John Green is a wonderful presenter, and they actually contain, like, nuance and introspection. Good series.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

smg77 posted:

The better question is if the brothers would swap places every once in a while to mess with Hillary.

This would be fun, but once you spend some time with one twin the other is easier to pick out.

Or maybe it's easy for me since my mother is a twin.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is generally a good point, and I agree with it, but holy hell it's pretty much impossible to understand the Syrian Civil War even if you follow it. I know more than I ever wanted to know about Syria/Iraq/the Kurds/the Middle East and I can still barely follow what's going on in that clusterfuck of a war.

Dexo posted:

What I wouldn't give to go back in time and tell myself in Early 2015 that Mitt Romney was going to be hard stumping for loving Ted Cruz.
We really have reached pure insanity, haven't we?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

fade5 posted:

Trump isn't president so no, no we haven't.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

fade5 posted:

This is generally a good point, and I agree with it, but holy hell it's pretty much impossible to understand the Syrian Civil War even if you follow it. I know more than I ever wanted to know about Syria/Iraq/the Kurds/the Middle East and I can still barely follow what's going on in that clusterfuck of a war.

Not yet, Pure insanity isn't until Trump is ratfucked at the convention, and decides to run third party. Or Trump gets the nomination and another republican runs third party.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Dexo posted:

Not yet, Pure insanity isn't until Trump is ratfucked at the convention, and decides to run third party. Or Trump gets the nomination and another republican runs third party.

I was talking over the potential Romney/Perry/Coburn third party run with friends this morning, and it suddenly occurred to me how amazingly bookended this election is with 1968 if that happens - the most Wallace-like candidate will have the Republican election, and the most establishment Republican will be running on a third-party ticket.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Coburn retired from Congress because he was having health issues and suddenly he's healthy enough to talk about running for President? Good loving luck. Also gently caress Tom Coburn.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh shi-

https://twitter.com/DavidJBohm/status/711953019487674368

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

zoux posted:

Because it's the minimum bar for being educated. It's important because if you don't know where stuff is, you are probably an incurious person with extremely wrong foreign policy positions. Oh and your vote counts the same.

Not really. I mean, you should probably have a rough idea of where a country is and who it's neighbors are to have a good understanding of what a country's influence is, but pointing to an unlabeled maps and pinpointing countries that really have no bearing on your everyday life is a parlor trick, not a measure of someone's intelligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

zoux posted:

Handy pic to post back at your aunts on facebook this week.

It's always sad for reaganites to remember the day he capitulated and knelt before Zod.

If only Zod hadn't arrived while the Super hero's union was on strike. All they wanted was increased workplace safety regulations in their industry. :(

• Locked thread