Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Count Bleck posted:

This, basically.

It's also a 3/2 with menace which isn't irrelevant. It's a Red Bob if I ever saw one.

So, have we heard anything about these Echoes of Innistrad? They mentioned it a while ago and I haven't seen anything about what it is.

I thought Echos were the Expedition equivalent for the set but I've heard nothing verified, just rumors from a dealer and such. Pretty much fancy reprints from the original Innistrad, presumably to reprint Snapcaster, Liliana, maybe stuff like Geist, Griselbrand and the legendary Angels, and maybe just popular/widely used cards like Lingering Souls and Delver for deck pimping. Again, not confirmed and since we've heard nothing so far it may just not happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW-Npd-bjMo

This company is a multi-million dollar company, right? Why the gently caress are they putting out videos that are made on phones with no proper audio? People with webcams in bedrooms make better videos than M:tG does what the gently caress??

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Sin Prodder is a very cool card. I assume they started it as a 2-mana 2/1 and were like "this is too good," so it's a 3/2 with menace. They've never really printed a card like this before in red, I have no idea if it will be good enough for standard or not. I'm inclined to think not simply because it doesn't do anything until you untap with it, but the new standard will be very different from the previous one, so who knows.

I like the guy that makes Clue tokens, he's like a Seer's Sundial with a good body.

deftest
May 7, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

I thought Echos were the Expedition equivalent for the set but I've heard nothing verified, just rumors from a dealer and such. Pretty much fancy reprints from the original Innistrad, presumably to reprint Snapcaster, Liliana, maybe stuff like Geist, Griselbrand and the legendary Angels, and maybe just popular/widely used cards like Lingering Souls and Delver for deck pimping. Again, not confirmed and since we've heard nothing so far it may just not happen.

hmm...

They just reprinted Geist. Most of those legendary angels were in the FTV/commander. Griselbrand promo was the last GP one, right? Also weren't snap & lili recent promos for something similar? Seems unlikely we'd get multiple alternate printings for those in such a short window.

Maybe we'll go back to... timespiral block sometime soon and get something like echos. That way they wouldnt' be pinned in to one plane.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

This red card seems like a Very Good Red Card

Cards where your opponent chooses are usually worse than they look but repeating it every turn is pretty good and a 3/2 menace body for 2R is actually a good rate.
It is worth noting that you will never draw a land off it unless your opponent doesn't want you to have a land in your graveyard for some reason (Delrium?)
And it initially feels like a card that goes in a burny aggro deck, but those decks tend to have a very low curve so it's likely only doing 0-2, maaaybe 3 damage a turn on average.
I think it actually fits better in a midrangey deck with a higher curve.

I think it will really come down to weather a 2R 3/2 menace is worth while in Standard. It might not be.

In Limited you obviously just play it in almost any red deck.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

deftest posted:

priority order is technically how these interactions are handled.

In actual practice, however- the players who stand to lose from the effect/spell being cast all confer with one another going "oh no, can't you afford to take the life loss? Please? I'll do you a solid for the next few turns" while the player controlling the effect/spell goes "hey! no canoodling, in priority order, player to my left, will you pay?"

ps: All hail Rob, the red bob!

Well sure, it almost always results in politicking and deal-making. Maybe it's just my group, but people also lie to each other and do things that hurt themselves as long as they hurt other people more. I am a terrible garbage idiot who plays Zur's Weirding in my EDH decks so I deal with this exact scenario all the time. Sometimes the first person has the most to lose, so they're forced to take the life loss, because they can't trust that the guy next to them will actually follow through on it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I think Sin Prodder, is good.

Also I want to open that green rare every draft I ever do.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

Cards where your opponent chooses are usually worse than they look but repeating it every turn is pretty good and a 3/2 menace body for 2R is actually a good rate.
It is worth noting that you will never draw a land off it unless your opponent doesn't want you to have a land in your graveyard for some reason (Delrium?)
And it initially feels like a card that goes in a burny aggro deck, but those decks tend to have a very low curve so it's likely only doing 0-2, maaaybe 3 damage a turn on average.
I think it actually fits better in a midrangey deck with a higher curve.

I think it will really come down to weather a 2R 3/2 menace is worth while in Standard. It might not be.

In Limited you obviously just play it in almost any red deck.

Yeah basically my thoughts. Punisher is bad as a one time thing, but repeatably it starts to force hard decisions. Desecration Demon is psuedo-punisher and while yeah you can keep it tapped for a while unless you're pure tokens it gets hard to deal with eventually. This dude is similar, where yeah I can take the first few bops to the face but after a while ok I guess he draws that card because hes putting a lot of pressure on me? Burning a removal spell on it also feel somewhat bad.

I also agree I dont think he goes very well in a regular burn deck honestly. Midrange is where it wants to go. It's worth noting that if the madness bolt is flipped it basically deals 3 to the face no matter what option is chosen.

E: Oh yeah also and madness lmao.
E2: I meant he's good at getting delirium derr derr derr.

He certainly could find a home. Depends.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 21, 2016

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
The basic lands in this set are gorgeous, holy cow. As a whole, best batch I've seen them do in a long time.

Edit: Sin Prodder is real good, you guys are crazy. It's red card draw that doesn't force discard and the downside is hardly a downside in a graveyard set.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Burn is where the body and the damage are the most useful, though, so I think it does actually go best in a burn deck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Balon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW-Npd-bjMo

This company is a multi-million dollar company, right? Why the gently caress are they putting out videos that are made on phones with no proper audio? People with webcams in bedrooms make better videos than M:tG does what the gently caress??

All the ads i've ever seen from WOTC, including ones from the real old days, suggest they have never actually had a budget for marketing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So there isn't any premium chase foils in this set like the Expeditions, correct?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mandatory lesbian posted:

All the ads i've ever seen from WOTC, including ones from the real old days, suggest they have never actually had a budget for marketing

Not to mention it seems they're absolutely clueless when it comes to anything that has wires.

Edit: It appears that Sin Prodder's name is now Rob.

Good.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 21, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
A little funny that Duels will now almost have better mana than standard, if not for the fact that you can only have two copies of any one rare. (Everybody gets access to all 10 checklands in Duels)

deftest
May 7, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

magic is unique in its player retention. They have a disproportionate amount of their profits coming from players who already play their game (compared with other games). I suppose it makes sense that they spend a disproportionately smaller amount on marketing.

That sort of begs the question as to whether they could be X much bigger if only they did bump their marketing. I sometimes wonder whether they've reached their saturation point though. In NYC at least, there are game stores hosting regular magic events in basically every neighborhood. I'm sure they aren't at their absolute cap, but here at least it seems sometimes as though most of the potential magic players are already magic players.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I want to see what archetypes Eerie Interlude ends up spawning, and if that's what rally morphs into.

Seems good for getting free morph transformations (are there any morphs in Dragons?) and switching back to face-up side for any flip creatures.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The entire pro tour/GP system IS WoTC's marketing budget.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Bread Set Jettison posted:

It's worth noting that if the madness bolt is flipped it basically deals 3 to the face no matter what option is chosen.
Nope.
edit: nm I'm dumb and misread.

odiv fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 21, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

deftest posted:

magic is unique in its player retention. They have a disproportionate amount of their profits coming from players who already play their game (compared with other games). I suppose it makes sense that they spend a disproportionately smaller amount on marketing.

That sort of begs the question as to whether they could be X much bigger if only they did bump their marketing. I sometimes wonder whether they've reached their saturation point though. In NYC at least, there are game stores hosting regular magic events in basically every neighborhood. I'm sure they aren't at their absolute cap, but here at least it seems sometimes as though most of the potential magic players are already magic players.

i know nothing about advertising so i can't begin to comment, it is a very niche hobby so they're probably right if it's not worth putting more money into it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Flip Fiery Temper, put it in the graveyard, Sin Prodder deals 3 damage to them.

Let them put Fiery Temper in their hand, they cast it, Fiery Temper deals 3 damage to them.

Let them put it in their hand, they manage to discard it, Fiery Temper deals 3 damage to them.

I'm not following nope?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sin Peddler doesn't trigger Madness. It happens that the madness bolt will deal 3 to the face regardless of the opponent's choice, but that's because it's a bolt with CMC 3, not because it has madness.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Sin Peddler doesn't trigger Madness. It happens that the madness bolt will deal 3 to the face regardless of the opponent's choice, but that's because it's a bolt with CMC 3, not because it has madness.

Or maybe it's being used as an identifier, akin to "that bolt that has madness".

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Pyrolocutus posted:

Or maybe it's being used as an identifier, akin to "that bolt that has madness".

I would assume so but in that case I can't imagine what "Oh yeah also and madness lmao" is meant to mean.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

I'm not following nope?
You missed the part where I'm a dumbass. Totally right.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

odiv posted:

You missed the part where I'm a dumbass. Totally right.

:buddy:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Yeah basically my thoughts. Punisher is bad as a one time thing, but repeatably it starts to force hard decisions. Desecration Demon is psuedo-punisher and while yeah you can keep it tapped for a while unless you're pure tokens it gets hard to deal with eventually. This dude is similar, where yeah I can take the first few bops to the face but after a while ok I guess he draws that card because hes putting a lot of pressure on me? Burning a removal spell on it also feel somewhat bad.

I also agree I dont think he goes very well in a regular burn deck honestly. Midrange is where it wants to go. It's worth noting that if the madness bolt is flipped it basically deals 3 to the face no matter what option is chosen.

E: Oh yeah also and madness lmao.

He certainly could find a home. Depends.

It doesn't actually work with madness because it's not discard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think this wasn't posted

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Night Danger Moose posted:

Sin Prodder is going to be very painful to play against and I want to run 4 of them. I have no idea what the shell will be but I love it and hate it already.

It will slot into REdrazi pretty nicely. Oh I don't get that a reality Smasher? Take 5.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Those should be scout tokens instead of soldier tokens :colbert:

same w/ this card:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

deftest posted:

They've probably hit the saturation point with game shops, but there's still a lot of potential in mobile gaming (see: Hearthstone, etc.,). If they ever got their poo poo together in that regard they could really expand their player base, but given how much of a disaster MTGO was I wouldn't hold my breath.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

All these loving amazing engine cards making me want to draft what is this

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It will slot into REdrazi pretty nicely. Oh I don't get that a reality Smasher? Take 5.

Is it competing with anything else for the 3 drop slot?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

In my previous post when I said madness I meant delirium. This man is good for delirium.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So umm, you can weigh packs to figure out foils?

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/4bbrof/is_it_possible_to_detect_packs_with_foils_seems/

The grey triangles are the foils.

I guess it makes sense why this particular shop in my area made such a huge haul in expeditions compared to much larger shops in our area. Seems like a bad investment in non-expedition sets.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 21, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
why are the packs numbered? are these just individual separate packs?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Sickening posted:

So umm, you can weigh packs to figure out foils?

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/4bbrof/is_it_possible_to_detect_packs_with_foils_seems/

The grey triangles are the foils.

I guess it makes sense why this particular shop in my area made such a huge haul in expeditions compared to much larger shops in our area. Seems like a bad investment in non-expedition sets.

Yeah this has been known for a while.

E: Or at least this isnt the first time I've head of this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zoness posted:

why are the packs numbered? are these just individual separate packs?

Its probably explained in the thread somewhere but it appears that in almost in every case that foil packs are always heavier by a few grams. It also appears that tokens are lighter due to worse quality paper used.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 21, 2016

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Matt Nass is on LSV's stream playing Doomsday without even having seen the decklist or having ever played the deck before and it's amazing

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rinkles posted:

So I guess I'm gonna try to make abzan aristocrats work come rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sickening posted:

Its probably explained in the thread somewhere but it appears that in almost in every case that foil packs are always heavier by a few grams. It also appears that tokens are lighter due to worse quality paper used.

I wanted to see if this was true myself and, at least to some extent, it is. I took a few packs into the lab when I had some spare time and used the scale there, accurate out to 0.0001 g. I didn't have the best sample size, but I was able to identify the packs with foils in them relatively easily. There were also some false positives that I couldn't explain, and a few false negatives as well. In general it's doable if you have the equipment, time, and motivation. But scales as accurate as the one I was using cost so much that unless you were finding expeditions it probably isn't worth it.

• Locked thread