Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Olothreutes posted:

I wanted to see if this was true myself and, at least to some extent, it is. I took a few packs into the lab when I had some spare time and used the scale there, accurate out to 0.0001 g. I didn't have the best sample size, but I was able to identify the packs with foils in them relatively easily. There were also some false positives that I couldn't explain, and a few false negatives as well. In general it's doable if you have the equipment, time, and motivation. But scales as accurate as the one I was using cost so much that unless you were finding expeditions it probably isn't worth it.

From that thread,

packs with foils are blue

Small sample, only one of the foil packs are identifiable. So you can probably catch foils, but not all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

They've probably hit the saturation point with game shops, but there's still a lot of potential in mobile gaming (see: Hearthstone, etc.,). If they ever got their poo poo together in that regard they could really expand their player base, but given how much of a disaster MTGO was I wouldn't hold my breath.

This was supposed to be what Magic Duels was. But basically it only appealed to people who already played magic, was only for iOS, and had a shitastic launch. So basically a disaster like MTGO. Also you can only play basically Magic Origins on up, and deckbuilding rules is based on rarity not actual magic rules.

Sickening posted:

So umm, you can weigh packs to figure out foils?

This has been a thing for awhile. It's not exact science or anything, but it would make logical sense that the extra stuff they put on a card to foil it would make it weigh more. Also from my understanding token and the ad cards can mess up the weight, sense they are printed on a different kind of paper (weighs less), so a distribution of tokens plus a foil might look like a normal pack?

I'm willing to bet you can pretty much guarantee if it's a double foil pack or not in Shadows or not due to the special DFC slot Shadows packs will have.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 21, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Rinkles posted:

From that thread,

packs with foils are blue

Small sample, only one of the foil packs are identifiable. So you can probably catch foils, but not all of them

I'm curious what set that is. I had packs from a few sets on me and origins packs were all 2-3 grams lighter than BFZ packs. In my limited recollection the BFZ packs were all above 30g, with a few as high as 34g. Origins had numbers much more similar to the ones in those graphs. Even with insane levels of accuracy the data is fuzzy at best and you can easily get false positives and negatives. If someone wants to drop hundreds of dollars for a good scale, and then sink a bunch of time into getting a ton of data and hoping for the best when it comes to recovering the cost of the scale more power to them. I don't have the patience for it even with access to a scale that I don't have to pay for.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 21, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

anglachel posted:

This was supposed to be what Magic Duels was. But basically it only appealed to people who already played magic, was only for iOS, and had a shitastic launch. So basically a disaster like MTGO. Also you can only play basically Magic Origins on up, and deckbuilding rules is based on rarity not actual magic rules.

No, it's on PC and xbox as well.

Anecdotally, Duels 2014 was what eventually lead me to try my first prerelase (after a 10 year old lapse playing as a kid), and now I love limtied and post daily in this dump

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I propose Wizards starts inserting randomly sized washers into each pack to circumvent this issue.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I propose Wizards starts inserting randomly sized washers into each pack to circumvent this issue.

You jest but sports cards companies have been putting bricks in packs for a decade, even down to thinner sections to simulate the Jersey patch area

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just a reminder that D14 introduced sealed to Duels. As a full price paying customer you had two non-resettable sealed pools. Full stop. You had to pay to unlock additional slots.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Olothreutes posted:

I'm curious what set that is. I had packs from a few sets on me and origins packs were all 2-3 grams lighter than BFZ packs. In my limited recollection the BFZ packs were all above 30g, with a few as high as 34g. Origins had numbers much more similar to the ones in those graphs. Even with insane levels of accuracy the data is fuzzy at best and you can easily get false positives and negatives. If someone wants to drop hundreds of dollars for a good scale, and then sink a bunch of time into getting a ton of data and hoping for the best when it comes to recovering the cost of the scale more power to them. I don't have the patience for it even with access to a scale that I don't have to pay for.

He said it was BFZ

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Can someone with premium SCG access post the Tom Ross Mono R Eldrazi list in the article with him and Todd Anderson?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

80s James Hetfield posted:

Can someone with premium SCG access post the Tom Ross Mono R Eldrazi list in the article with him and Todd Anderson?

Creatures (20)

4 Hangarback Walker
4 Reality Smasher
4 Thopter Engineer
2 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Vile Aggregate
2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
Planeswalkers (4)

4 Chandra, Flamecaller
Lands (26)

11 Mountain
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Foundry of the Consuls
2 Ruins of Oran-Rief
1 Sea Gate Wreckage
4 Shivan Reef
Spells (10)

3 Hedron Archive
3 Spatial Contortion
4 Warping Wail
Sideboard

3 Eldrazi Obligator
2 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Tears of Valakut
2 Boiling Earth
3 Crumble to Dust
3 Roast

Play Kent Ketter's list. It's better. Ross didn't even play this this weekend.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
One thing I've always wondered: Has there been any discussion about linking DCI numbers up to MtG:O? As much as I prefer playing against real people whenever possible, it seems like it would be an easy, free incentive for people who care about their planeswalker points to play more games online. I guess it would have to be linked only to the official events and make it so that casual play has no impact, and I dunno how they'd have to handle stuff like qualifying for tournaments, which I'm guessing is the reason they haven't done it yet.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Full Fathoms Five posted:

One thing I've always wondered: Has there been any discussion about linking DCI numbers up to MtG:O? As much as I prefer playing against real people whenever possible, it seems like it would be an easy, free incentive for people who care about their planeswalker points to play more games online. I guess it would have to be linked only to the official events and make it so that casual play has no impact, and I dunno how they'd have to handle stuff like qualifying for tournaments, which I'm guessing is the reason they haven't done it yet.
Given that MTGO is a piece of poo poo, it would lead to doublefeelbads for the grinders who would then feel that playing MTGO was mandatory to getting points.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Yes it has been discussed, no it isn't possible for all the reasons you might suspect (i.e. WotC is bad at computers).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Yes it has been discussed, no it isn't possible for all the reasons you might suspect (i.e. WotC is bad at computers).

It would also make it impossible for the bye system to be fair considering the amount of matches you can get in on MTGO is exponentially more than paper so it would be unfair to us paper-only players.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
So make your own Geist of St. Traft

Now if only there were things with hexproof to slap on it that weren't insanely expensive in standard. Or period outside of Sphinx of the Final Word.

EDIT: Oops, beaten.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This seems super mediocre.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

the Orb of Zot posted:

Now if only there were things with hexproof to slap on it that weren't insanely expensive in standard. Or period outside of Sphinx of the Final Word.

Bring back Invisible Stalker.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Bring back Invisible Stalker.

Insidious Mist?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

This will go great in my Geist of St. Traft EDH deck

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

It would also make it impossible for the bye system to be fair considering the amount of matches you can get in on MTGO is exponentially more than paper so it would be unfair to us paper-only players.

I, a grinder, think it would be unfair for people who grind more than I do, to earn what I earn grinding. :shepface:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

the Orb of Zot posted:

False. Hexproof is an awful mechanic and should be used sparingly if at all.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

stinkles1112 posted:

False. Hexproof is an awful mechanic and should be used sparingly if at all.

bring back shroud imo

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Yeah this has been known for a while.

E: Or at least this isnt the first time I've head of this.

Yeah I tested this myself with an analytical balance (5 decimal accuracy, 5 digit price tag :v:) when BFZ first came out, totally works although in my experiments the standard deviation is a little higher, and you need to choose a cutoff weight depending whether you care more about false positives or false negatives. It's not really profitable to do unless you have a store though because then you have to move a bunch of individual packs not in a shrink wrapped box, which is difficult for individuals. For the BFZ boxes I tested (~ 3 boxes) the standard deviation in pack weight was around 0.2 g within each box. There was one box where the average pack weight was around 0.3 g heavier than the other two for no discernible reason. Foils seemed to add 0.1-0.4 g to the pack weight. So trying to find the foils is pretty inexact, but if you set a cutoff low to catch all possible expeditions, I would guess that you could open all the expeditions in a case by opening 1 box or less worth of packs

Mince Pieface fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 21, 2016

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

80s James Hetfield posted:

This will go great in my Geist of St. Traft EDH deck

I have one on MTGO and yes it's enchantments and yes this will go on it so I can Traft my Traft

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zoness posted:

bring back shroud imo

I totally agree, but WotC doesn't so :shrug:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

No, it's on PC and xbox as well.

Anecdotally, Duels 2014 was what eventually lead me to try my first prerelase (after a 10 year old lapse playing as a kid), and now I love limtied and post daily in this dump

The first dotp is what made me start playing again, but if I had never been into mtg in the first place I am not entirely sure it would have made me pick the game up.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

En Fuego posted:

I have one on MTGO and yes it's enchantments and yes this will go on it so I can Traft my Traft

Graft a Traft to your Traft?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Zoness posted:

Graft a Traft to your Traft?

Yes, just to be daft.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
While the callback and idea itself are fine, it's super dumb for that enchantment to (a) be rare, and (b) cost the same as playing Geist itself. It should be uncommon, or also give +2/+2 (probably not hexproof), or something.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Epic troll. Card should also give +2/+2.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a weird enough effect that it's probably ok at rare. Also this will allow us to make the Uninvited Geist of Saint Traft so it's all good.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Cool effect but it still doesn't get around the usual aura issue of 2-for-1'ing yourself when the creature dies.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

This seems super mediocre.

...I mean, its about as good as Iona's Blessing from Oath. I don't know if I would say that's mediocre as opposed to "it's an aura."

Voyager I posted:

Cool effect but it still doesn't get around the usual aura issue of 2-for-1'ing yourself when the creature dies.
If it just gave you +4/+4 when it attacked it would be just as good because you could actually attack through some stuff. I don't even know its that bomby if you get a 2/2 out and then put it on the bear turn 3 because your opponent probably just has a bear to block and surprise, you can't attack without 2-for-1ing yourself.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 21, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

This is a card you put on one of your dumb rear end 2/2 for 4 common flyers in white or blue. It's not very good and it's definitely not just a card you can throw on to whatever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah the fact that it doesn't help your creature attack past things at all makes it pretty godawful in limited. In constructed I guess something like Invisible Stalker would make it decent but we aren't getting Invisible Stalker because it's terrible to play against.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

This card makes me glad that Tiny Leaders isn't a thing anymore. That would be absolutely abysmal in Geist TL.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It probably puts a game away pretty quickly in draft and it does have the upside that the enchanted creature will probably be able to attack the turn you play it so you should expect to get at least one activation out of it, but it's probably not a first-pick even then.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You have to already have a good attack for it to do anything at all though. Even bad cards like Untamed Hunger can at least give you that. I guess the spirits deck has flying and hexproof as themes so maybe it could be OK there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Original Geist wasn't particularly great in limited either.

It's a fun callback, but a fairly weak card.

I guess in limited it can also help enable Delirium, that's uh, something.

• Locked thread