Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

timn posted:

This game looks incredible with the planets. How is the progression loop/goal-setting in survival mode? Can you start with not much but the spacesuit on your back and work your way up, exploring to find new resources and inventing vehicles to help you do things better? Or is it still more of a glorified creative mode with resource constraints right now?

It hasn't really changed much from the "glorified creative mode". You still need a refinery and assembler to get anything done, and there's still no real sense of progression beyond finding all the resources except for optional ones like magnesium and uranium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
The closest thing to 'progression' that we have is the tiered tool system. The basic Welder/Grinder work very slowly, and the basic Hand Drill only makes tiny divots and produces little ore. As you find more rare ore deposits, you can craft three higher ranks of tools that are much better at their tasks.

I feel like the progression on Planets is
1) Establish a base of operations.
2) Make a vehicle that can haul more ore from mining site.
3) Make a flying vehicle that can scout for rare ore deposits.
4) Get to space.

Not much else to do...

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

timn posted:

This game looks incredible with the planets. How is the progression loop/goal-setting in survival mode? Can you start with not much but the spacesuit on your back and work your way up, exploring to find new resources and inventing vehicles to help you do things better? Or is it still more of a glorified creative mode with resource constraints right now?

Theoretically you can. The main problem with Survival is that building anything takes a loving lot of time and you'll likely get bored before you finish even a simple spaceship.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gantolandon posted:

Theoretically you can. The main problem with Survival is that building anything takes a loving lot of time and you'll likely get bored before you finish even a simple spaceship.

You're better off making a basic base/mothership and subcraft then setting the World to Survival.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If I'm playing with the gravel ore separator(thanks goon that made it) then I just play default but otherwise you've got to building yourself a big ship and a little miner.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're better off making a basic base/mothership and subcraft then setting the World to Survival.

There is very little to do then. The game doesn't currently offer much more than resource gathering and building stuff.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I still wonder if it'll ever be more than legos in space...

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I hope they overhaul the UI, survival and progression stuff. It's why I haven't gotten into the game after owning it for two years. I keep wanting minecraft++ and end up with, as you say, somewhat buggy space legos. The one time I tried to play in survival it was grueling just trying to get a small miner going.

If there was more automation and flexible construction, it might be worth it. As it stands today, survival isn't really fun at all.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I find the game infinitely more enjoyable when played with others than just solo.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Bhodi posted:

I hope they overhaul the UI, survival and progression stuff. It's why I haven't gotten into the game after owning it for two years. I keep wanting minecraft++ and end up with, as you say, somewhat buggy space legos. The one time I tried to play in survival it was grueling just trying to get a small miner going.

If there was more automation and flexible construction, it might be worth it. As it stands today, survival isn't really fun at all.

Automation is doable if you know C# or install that shorthand scripting mod that uses basic pseudo code. You can even assign drones to follow you or a target around in different formations though the exact methodology is way over my head.

Current patch priority is to slowly replace bits while completely re-writing the netcode for multiplayer. Then there was a blog about some crazy impossible AI project for the game but it would be a lot more reasonable to assume basic fleet AI is coming at some point.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, but I think it needs logic and sorting capability and an expansion / revamp of the container-conveyer model as it stands. You can sort of have things draw from cargo but you can't sort stuff and we all know the UI could use some work; it's not displayed cleanly at all. I was pretty surprised I can't actually see the name of the object I'm currently looking at; I keep going back to the way popular minecraft mods focused on construction and automation work and can't help but think stealing it wholesale is the way to go.

Adding in more/better functionality for constructors as well, storage/recall of blueprints, basically it's all very hacky and barely working especially with piston reliability. There are some mods that help but it's all very unpolished and missing a "You crash-landed on a planet / asteroid holding only a welder, now mine and build your way back to the orbiting station, complete, repair and rearm the ship mothballed there and get out of the system" sort of a story mode that I'm envisioning that touches on the basics of the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Verizian posted:

Automation is doable if you know C# or install that shorthand scripting mod that uses basic pseudo code. You can even assign drones to follow you or a target around in different formations though the exact methodology is way over my head.

Current patch priority is to slowly replace bits while completely re-writing the netcode for multiplayer. Then there was a blog about some crazy impossible AI project for the game but it would be a lot more reasonable to assume basic fleet AI is coming at some point.

The AI project is a separate team entirely, and they're working on general game AI rather that something specifically for Space or Medieval Engineers. It's even starting to see results with their current model playing some very basic games.

I think what's probably going down right now is their SE team going back and redoing ALL the halfassed coding they initially did in the very early Alphas with something more robust and stable. Once that's done we'll probably start seeing actual content in the patches again.

edit: So apparently Mexpex finally fixed the Heavy Defense Turret's lack of DX11 on the projectiles. Which means now we can get a look at what the Avarice's cannonfire actually looks like instead of a few stray black blobs over explosions. I'll leave you to guess how chuggy this got.

In this cornerrr; The Avarice-class Battlecarrier; Prim Belladonna!

In the far cornerrr;The Avalon-Class Battlecarrier; Harlequin Intent! I'm fond of the Halo-style capital ship names

Well poo poo, we can't see much from this angle (whoops) and the drat Avalon-class is shooting me away because the vulcan turrets didn't understand "don't shoot characters" (:argh:) so I Cut the ship out to stop the fight.

However, see that cloud? Those aren't Gatling bullets.

Brought it round, and a bit closer, for a better screenshot angle and it got angry.

As for a shot of the Avarice's cannons?

How's that for one? :v:

Final results;

The Avarice took a beating. The Avalon was not well.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 22, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Patch Time!

quote:

Summary
In this week's update, we're bringing you a few new features. We've prepared a new respawn ship system for you, replacement of destroyed wheels, worked on the autopilot, and added a new sound when putting the helmet visor up and down. Landers now spawn lower in the atmosphere, so players don't have to wait until the ship reaches the atmosphere. Also, ships with ion thrusters are now spawned in space instead of the atmosphere. Replacing destroyed wheels is done by clicking on the button in the terminal. When the wheel is not damaged, the button is grayed out. Lastly, autopilot should follow the points correctly and should not randomly turn on. Keep in mind that we've also got lots of optimizations going on in the background. Though they're not visible at the moment, you'll see them implemented in the coming weeks and months. Stay tuned!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ZLSYgURW8

Features

- new respawn ship system
- improved autopilot
- replacement of destroyed wheels
- new helmet visor sound
- character stats changes (modding): http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/update-01-127-character-stats-changes.7381672/

Fixes
- fixed 3D model exporter for DX11
- fixed habitable planet respawn point on incorrect place with survival mode
- fixed camera gets into characters head
- fixed the export for 3D prints from game doesn't export texture files on Directx11
- fixed some more pull requests from various blocks (oxygen generator, drills)
- fixed rotors getting detached when merging station
- fixed remote control only works with ion thrusters

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I saw the youtube title and got excited that they replaced the entire wheels system. :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Could... could it be? Actual hotfix notes in the patch notes for a change? :eyepop:

quote:

Hotfix 01.127.11
- fixed crash on parallel tasks
- fixed crash when disconnecting during an explosion
- fixed crash when sending a faction message
- fixed crash when using automatic rifle
- fixed crash when using hand drill

Guess Space Engineers didn't think walking away from an explosion was cool :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Patch time again, and they're still quietly un-loving old code.

quote:

Summary
This week brings you a new animation system and more improvements for the dedicated server console. The new animation system has synchronized animations and the added ability to easily insert transition animations. Animations throughout the game will continue to be improved in the future. One other important thing is that this new system takes work off our programmers and transfers it to our artists. The dedicated server console now supports Ctrl+A and Ctrl+Shift commands.
Please also note that as announced earlier this month, today we have stopped developing the 32-bit and DX9 version of Space Engineers. From now on we will focus exclusively on developing DirectX 11 and 64-bit Windows.

For those who want to keep playing Space Engineers on Windows XP, 32-bit Windows and the DirectX 9 configuration, you can still enjoy the game by accessing your copy on Steam. (To switch to the DX9 branch on Steam, right-click on Space Engineers on Steam, chose Properties, go to the Betas tab, and change your build to "DX9/WinXP".) You will be able to launch the game without any issues, but no new content will be added from the end of March 2016. A guide for how to do this is available here: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2016/02/space-engineers-news-full-source-code_26.html.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNj_QHgLUqE

Features
- new animation system
- DS console now supports Ctrl+A and Ctrl+Shift commands
- removed DX9 and WinXP support

Fixes
- adding wheels feature has been fixed (was not working in some cases)
- adjusted connector force
- fixed crash when switching tools in ship
- fixed crash when exiting the game
- fixed crash when disconnecting a connector
- fixed some cases of ships synchronized, DS
- fixed mods using session components not loading correctly
- fixed sounds are louder after entering control panel
- fixed sound of missile turret
- fixed volume is getting louder after exiting to menu
- fixed gyros rotate heavier ships faster

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Halle-loving-lujah, that's what they need to be doing.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You can tell the dude who is explaining the new animation system in depth has never been on camera before/doesn't do a lot of public speaking, he doesn't know what to do with his hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8PP3QU7wjI&t=32s

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

You can tell the dude who is explaining the new animation system in depth has never been on camera before/doesn't do a lot of public speaking, he doesn't know what to do with his hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8PP3QU7wjI&t=32s

Their usual guy just can't help make a pun at the end, huh? :allears: Now if only they'd give us the Hotfix notes.

Also finished my new shuttle version. Have a shuttle. Unfortunately it doesn't have any oversized rocket boosters, aside from the one already installed.

Mainly because none of the pod mounts can have a Connector.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Ooh I like how you did the A-10 mouth on one of your ships, there, Neddy! :D Incredible work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XkyRauh posted:

Ooh I like how you did the A-10 mouth on one of your ships, there, Neddy! :D Incredible work.

Well they're all the same shuttle, just with different equipment. The reinforced armor pack's basically to turn the stubby-winged shuttle into a tacticool assault dropship, so it seemed appropriate. It works pretty well against cargo ships too, but I did discover a hit in juuuust the right place will kill the armor-side merge block and forcibly eject the entire piece :v:.

edit: Gave the Caterpillar an extra projector and its own ejectable armor shell. It pops off vertically, so you may want to make sure you've got a crane or something on-hand to remove it once detached.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 3, 2016

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Just spotted this on the workshop. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=655922051

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCQnIa_u_Ng

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I started up SE for the first time in ages and my lighting is all screwed. Depending on what angle I look at lights, the light they cast seems to fade in and out of existence. I've got DX11 selected in graphical options, is there anything else I can poke?

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Holy poo poo that's really cool. That makes me more inclined to do survival, though I still probably won't.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah, that thing is amazing :allears:. I havent tried playing with one yet, but I think I'm gonna be sticking a few in the ol' battlecarrier.

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
Here's a couple things I whipped up last night:

The PixArm Manipulator:

Another concept I've been playing around with for a modular manipulator arm. You would theoretically place one of these in the middle of your station for repair and construction jobs.
Parts could be swapped out depending on the job.

Orbos 2:

Modular drone thing.

Next to my ModPod for scale.

RabidGolfCart fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 5, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RabidGolfCart posted:

Here's a couple things I whipped up last night:

The PixArm Manipulator:

Another concept I've been playing around with for a modular manipulator arm. You would theoretically place one of these in the middle of your station for repair and construction jobs.
Parts could be swapped out depending on the job.

Orbos 2:

Modular drone thing.

Next to my ModPod for scale.

That's pretty awesome :allears:. Maybe put a Connector in the center of the landing gears - land crane base on upward-facing connector and have access to all the local resources while welding/grinding.

What do the pods mount on them?

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's pretty awesome :allears:. Maybe put a Connector in the center of the landing gears - land crane base on upward-facing connector and have access to all the local resources while welding/grinding.
That was my plan, and to give it a mag lock tool rack that it could swap tools from if needed.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What do the pods mount on them?
Extra armor, extra thrust, other things I haven't made yet.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Neddy, I think you know what your next project should be.

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Sealand

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, that thing is amazing :allears:. I havent tried playing with one yet, but I think I'm gonna be sticking a few in the ol' battlecarrier.

I've played around with it, and it's just... just slow as all hell, if it doesn't outright crash the came. It sure looks cool as hell but needs some work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Capacitor posted:

Neddy, I think you know what your next project should be.

I think you'll find I already strapped rockets to a Space Winnebago, thank you :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wheels and rocket boosters you say? Alrighty then! :science:

Perfection. :allears:.

I also gave the Hummingbird multipod wheels too, incidentally. Mostly for style, and to see if I could. :rice:

Granted it can fly, barely, in atmosphere with the base thrusters, but I figure you stick the new cargo pallet on top that wasn't at all re-used from the Ant rover it'll haul more than it could lift with atmospheric thrusters. Also gonna replace the cockpit with the new Azimuth one that has LCD's in it.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Someone in this thread already made the space Winnebago from space balls

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Sealand
I've come back to SE after a long while of staying away due to a need to be productive, and with a fresh look at my ships, evaluating some of the mods I used to have and/or may no longer work (RIP Guided Missiles,) I've come to notice some problems I have with building in general and was wondering if any others have those same personal issues.

Primarily is that when it comes to making my own ships, 2 things happen:
1: Core functions come before design, resulting in large space bricks, which are scrapped
2: Appearance comes firsts, and the ship is scrapped because nothing can fit inside the hulls without turning into said bricks (I tend to stick with smaller attack frigates and destroyers.)

Bringing up the 3rd iteration of my Rail Destroyer, Rune Breaker (on the front page,) it was based on the look of a wing of a 3D model imported from EVE online, not even the whole ship. The 2nd build had a decent hangar in the rear for small drones before the oxygen update, and since the Jump Drive Update, all of that space was taken up by dual jump drives (keep one offline and fully charged, so if you jump in and can't win, immediately switch over and warp out.) I can sit there and agonize over how to use the limited space I give myself in any one hull, only to give the blueprint to Neddy who unceremoniously blows it in half because I never think of what would happen if god forbid the ship is dead in the water (it was designed to never be within 2km of anything, sniping bitches.)

What I do excel at in my mind is coming on board during the public builds of stranger's ships or those of my friends, installing half a dozen programmable blocks and some other parts to make them work, streamlining their control schemes, spending hours in a cockpit renaming blocks, adjusting settings, and testing the myriad of bells and whistles, even give them LCDs loaded with instruction manuals for the alarms, automatic LCDs, point defense systems, Radars, all that noise.

Maybe I'm just bipolar or maybe I just can't see the need for the ships that make it to the front page of the workshop with 15,000 mods to render to sewage drain pipes for the toilets that serve no purpose, or the wicked looking cockpits with a working HUD that fails when you pull a turn and all the rotors and pistons snap off, turning your bridge into a one man show about the dangers of shrapnel.

Anyone else feel that way, and keep taking breaks because of it, or is it just me?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mercutio Martino posted:

Maybe I'm just bipolar or maybe I just can't see the need for the ships that make it to the front page of the workshop with 15,000 mods to render to sewage drain pipes for the toilets that serve no purpose, or the wicked looking cockpits with a working HUD that fails when you pull a turn and all the rotors and pistons snap off, turning your bridge into a one man show about the dangers of shrapnel.

There's no need for them, they just look cool. Which is half the fun of making ships and vehicles really. The other half's blowing them up with salvos of cannonfire. Try building bigger than you think you need rather than going for the smallest space possible, you never know what might get added or changed at some point.

Speaking of, guess what got its own ejectable armor shell pack?

I'm rebuilding a bunch of stuff in the Hawk, starting with a few more gyros and the new Azimuth cockpit that has LCD's inside. I'm probably going to repaint it black though, just due to the general Stealth Bomber look the body's wound up with with the armor.

Spookydonut posted:

Someone in this thread already made the space Winnebago from space balls

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that one. That thing was amazing.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Mercutio Martino posted:

I've come back to SE after a long while of staying away due to a need to be productive, and with a fresh look at my ships, evaluating some of the mods I used to have and/or may no longer work (RIP Guided Missiles,) I've come to notice some problems I have with building in general and was wondering if any others have those same personal issues.

Primarily is that when it comes to making my own ships, 2 things happen:
1: Core functions come before design, resulting in large space bricks, which are scrapped
2: Appearance comes firsts, and the ship is scrapped because nothing can fit inside the hulls without turning into said bricks (I tend to stick with smaller attack frigates and destroyers.)

Bringing up the 3rd iteration of my Rail Destroyer, Rune Breaker (on the front page,) it was based on the look of a wing of a 3D model imported from EVE online, not even the whole ship. The 2nd build had a decent hangar in the rear for small drones before the oxygen update, and since the Jump Drive Update, all of that space was taken up by dual jump drives (keep one offline and fully charged, so if you jump in and can't win, immediately switch over and warp out.) I can sit there and agonize over how to use the limited space I give myself in any one hull, only to give the blueprint to Neddy who unceremoniously blows it in half because I never think of what would happen if god forbid the ship is dead in the water (it was designed to never be within 2km of anything, sniping bitches.)

What I do excel at in my mind is coming on board during the public builds of stranger's ships or those of my friends, installing half a dozen programmable blocks and some other parts to make them work, streamlining their control schemes, spending hours in a cockpit renaming blocks, adjusting settings, and testing the myriad of bells and whistles, even give them LCDs loaded with instruction manuals for the alarms, automatic LCDs, point defense systems, Radars, all that noise.

Anyone else feel that way, and keep taking breaks because of it, or is it just me?

Yeah I have exactly the same problems. Turns out the best shape to fit a pile of rectangular components is... A rectangle. Neddy only gets around it by making his ships huge.

The devs didn't put enough thought into making this a real engineering game, sadly. I think they just thought it'd happen on it's own, but the systems and simulations in game simply aren't complicated enough.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Splode posted:

Neddy only gets around it by making his ships huge.

:objection:

I'm perfectly capable of making small average-sized ships, thank you very much :colbert:. It'll even hover in atmosphere... until the hydrogen runs out.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
That is still a very big ship

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Patch time! There's a few minor nuisance bugs, so wait for the hotfix.

quote:

Summary
In this week's update we are bringing you a new multiplayer feature called server side character control. It basically means that client position will always be determined on a server instead of on the client itself. This should prevent unnecessary deaths due to spawning inside of a wall and jumping into objects caused by a lower server speed. We also fixed performance issues for worlds with a complex conveyor system - they should no longer be so slow. Some improvements have also been made to gyroscopes - they should not spin heavier ships more than light ones anymore. And lastly, the situation where all the sounds played at once when a player alt+tabbed is also taken care of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Onwfw673pI

Features
- character on server with client side prediction
- programmable block improvements (see details below)

Fixes
- fixed very slow worlds
- performance increase and optimization for conveyor systems
- fixed small ship missile turrets not shooting
- fixed gyro behavior (spinned heavier ships faster)
- fixed sensors detect ship out of their area of detection
- fixed sounds play all at once when window focus is regained
- fixed blocks were not ground from certain angles on DS
- fixed wheels are not attached when blueprint is welded
- fixed small ship missile turret won't reload

Community Fixes
- Programmable Block: Added runtime information to MyGridProgram via the Runtime property. [Malware]
- Programmable Block: Allows for a usable, instruction-counted constructor with all peripherals initialized, and a save method which is called by the game on demand to avoid unnecessary serialization. [Malware]
- Programmable Block: Implemented "yield return" support to programmable blocks. [Phoenix84]
- ModAPI: Implemented support for custom emissivity settings. [Phoenix84]
- ModAPI: Fixed duplicate GPS bug. [Phoenix84]
Special thanks to Malware and Phoenix84 for the programmable block and ModAPI improvements!

Splode posted:

That is still a very big ship

Right. :toughguy:

Why's there a belly door when there's a Kestrel bolted to the dorsal hull?

Because it's got a sweet set of wheels in the hangar :rice:. And no actual internal compartments in the ship yet.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The programming block bugs me a little because it's effectively a chasm that gates off interesting interactions and functions behind the intimidating and steep cliff that is actual programming. I worry they're going to lean on that crutch for a long time without ever actually adding things to allow the layman to approximate those functions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I hear there might be a plan to build in HTC Vive support.

• Locked thread