Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I made a gnome necromancer on blue, spent 10 minutes finding my way out into the steamfount mountains and 20 steps out of the front door some other gnome hanging out by a giant robot spider ran over and beat me to death. Then I made a human and died a slow death at the hands of a rat, so slow I had to force close and restart the client to get out of the unconscious - bleeding to death cycle.

Now I'm an eridite guy trying to find my way out of some grimdark skeleton city, and the map is disabled apparently? How the hell do you ever get anywhere.

e: do I need to train the sense direction skill to figure out which way I'm facing?

kecske fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

shits classic

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kecske posted:

I made a gnome necromancer on blue, spent 10 minutes finding my way out into the steamfount mountains and 20 steps out of the front door some other gnome hanging out by a giant robot spider ran over and beat me to death. Then I made a human and died a slow death at the hands of a rat, so slow I had to force close and restart the client to get out of the unconscious - bleeding to death cycle.

Now I'm an eridite guy trying to find my way out of some grimdark skeleton city, and the map is disabled apparently? How the hell do you ever get anywhere.

1999 had no map. You have to use external maps. In-game maps were added in like Luclin or later.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Zones

http://wiki.project1999.com/Erudin

You can use those and do /loc and match them up the old fashioned way, or you can install a 3rd party mapping tool like most people do.

That's all pretty standard EQ though :cheeky:

If you want I can try to get on later tonight and teleport you somewhere like gfay. But you'll have to find your way around the zones sooner or later :)

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Communist Q posted:

Can you list where you solo'd as a rogue? I'm super curious how you managed to solo before instill doubt from 10 to 21.

Relayer posted:

What are you soloing on an untwinked rogue at level 47 if you don't mind me asking?

1-8 in Steamfont from the newbie area until I maxed out on the kobold camp.

8-13 in Butcherblock various mobs, bats, lower goblins, etc.

13-14 in West Commons doing large spiders and wisps (some wisps would kick my rear end and I'd have to zone them). Did lightstone quest in SRO after killing wisps for nice exp and 9.5 plat per Giant Lightstone and +Dark Elf faction

14-27 in North Karanas killing willowwisps and doing the lightstone quest. Killing lions and beetles etc. Avoiding griffons and scary fast things. The leveling here is super fast, lightstone quest is ridiculous exp.

27-41 in South Karanas doing Aviaks of various types and I a little in LOIO for some Kunark flavor, but ended up going back to Aviaks. I used the bind wound macro from low 30s up to 37 and then stopped using it. It was making things way too easy.

41-47 started in FV, but the mob ghosting since patch was making that zone worse than it should be so I moved over to OT and had a much easier time of things by killing (Thorny Succulants, Stoneleer Chickens, Berzerkers) . I'm agnostic so I can bank in OT. Sarnak Berzerker war braids are great exp too and quickly (30 turn-ins) got my faction for the OT hammer (which I have but won't proc till 50).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I didn't play EQ so I don't have any rose tinting to help me with old graphics; looks like I really really need the higher res textures from the Luclin expansion. Does this page seem correct?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

kecske posted:

e: do I need to train the sense direction skill to figure out which way I'm facing?

Welcome to the OP.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, so I made Ulfilas, a human cleric on the blue server and I'm having a blast. I grouped with a buddy of mine who had a troll Shadowknight and the differences, the asymmetries between us, was just nuts, nothing like the theme park MMOs I've played. we were the same level but where I might hit for 3-5 damage I saw him land hits for 20, he was one shotting almost everything. I seriously thought he was a higher level character until he told me was still level 2! Otoh he died waiting for me when a guard chained aggroed from a mob onto him :v:

I'm in freeport and I'm just trying to get my bearings in the game. My friend tells me that I should mostly be buying from and selling to other players and considering a merchant in town wants several plat for a mace not much better than the cracked staff I found I'd believe it. So, tomorrow evening when I log in someone should buy my half stack of bone chips :)

Looking forward to getting a decent two handed weapon (and maybe a bag, are bags a thing? They have to be...) so I can venture away from the free port gates and see what's out there.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I reinstalled after not playing for a few years. I spent the next half hour trying to figure out how to change my resolution and what I was wearing. Good times.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I've been playing off and on for a bit now, have a wiz at 25 named Cortical that I've been slowly working up, would love a goon invite to get out of this faaaaaar too goofy Monty Python guild I've found myself in. Such a pleasure so far to just relive my teenage years would love to do it with a consistent group if possible! Also drat as a guy who got a mage to 43 in vanilla wizard is more boring than I thought.

TGG fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 22, 2016

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

TGG posted:

I've been playing off and on for a bit now, have a wiz at 25 named Cortical that I've been slowly working up, would love a goon invite to get out of this faaaaaar too goofy Monty Python guild I've found myself in. Such a pleasure so far to just relive my teenage years would love to do it with a consistent group if possible! Also drat as a guy who got a mage to 43 in vanilla wizard is more boring than I thought.
Wizards are very much the same, but look forward to the level 29 AoE snare Bonds of Force, after which you can begin quad kiting efficiently. Get the Staff of Temperate Flux and you can pull so easily while running around. Quad kiting is really fun.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Prophecy120 posted:

I'm looking for advice on how I can gear my 52 Shaman. I'm so out of the loop on this server (blue) since I quit well before Velious came out. His current gear is:

Face - Polished Mith Mask
Back - Cloak of Ice Bear (used to have Hiero cloak)
Legs - Jarsath Scale Leggings
Main - Spear of Fate
Off - Shield of Falsehood

Update! I spent a few days in the tunnel getting back on my feet and I'm pretty happy with the results so far. After checking all of my characters on all my accounts I scrounged up 8k plus a Tranix crown, which I sold for 11k. The big purchases (for me, at least) were a pair of Coldain Skin Gloves and GEBs. I figure for 4k and 2k they are good investments and will probably last until I stop playing the account. I also picked up some 5ac/55hp rings, 3 wisdom ears, Runed mithril bracers, Giant scalemail cloak, Totemic Helm, Ivory Imbued Collar and... I think that's it.

Now the question is, with my remaining 11.5k do I buy arms, shoulders, & 1 wrist and keep my Splitpaw Hide Tunic.... or do I try and spend it all on an Iksar Regen BP. I'm leaning just going all in with the BP and use rags for the last slots until I can fill them in KC or Seb groups, but that' mainly because I'm tired of EC and want to get back to playing. Thanks for the advice on the gear, it gave me a good idea where to start.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Prophecy120 posted:

Update! I spent a few days in the tunnel getting back on my feet and I'm pretty happy with the results so far. After checking all of my characters on all my accounts I scrounged up 8k plus a Tranix crown, which I sold for 11k. The big purchases (for me, at least) were a pair of Coldain Skin Gloves and GEBs. I figure for 4k and 2k they are good investments and will probably last until I stop playing the account. I also picked up some 5ac/55hp rings, 3 wisdom ears, Runed mithril bracers, Giant scalemail cloak, Totemic Helm, Ivory Imbued Collar and... I think that's it.

Now the question is, with my remaining 11.5k do I buy arms, shoulders, & 1 wrist and keep my Splitpaw Hide Tunic.... or do I try and spend it all on an Iksar Regen BP. I'm leaning just going all in with the BP and use rags for the last slots until I can fill them in KC or Seb groups, but that' mainly because I'm tired of EC and want to get back to playing. Thanks for the advice on the gear, it gave me a good idea where to start.

How much does the Thurg Shaman BP MQ run for nowadays?

Either way, if you're in your 50s you may be able to try and run a Kael group on the non-raid side. There's a few giant's near the bank that drop corroded stuff. Could help you fill out your kit.

Edit: Seb Scale Coat runs for 2k nowadays apparently

Edit 2: If you know a tailor you can get one of these made too

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 22, 2016

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Prophecy120 posted:

At this point I'd start getting exp and saving your cash. Fungis are lower than ever at like 47k. If you can gather up 15k for an Iksar BP, it shouldn't be too hard to get 47k for a Fungi with some farming and grouping in Seb. You'll also need a poo poo ton of money for spells when you hit 60, but you probably know that.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I'm actually dreading hitting 60. 150k for torpor is just depressing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok, so I made Ulfilas, a human cleric on the blue server and I'm having a blast. I grouped with a buddy of mine who had a troll Shadowknight and the differences, the asymmetries between us, was just nuts, nothing like the theme park MMOs I've played. we were the same level but where I might hit for 3-5 damage I saw him land hits for 20, he was one shotting almost everything. I seriously thought he was a higher level character until he told me was still level 2! Otoh he died waiting for me when a guard chained aggroed from a mob onto him :v:

I'm in freeport and I'm just trying to get my bearings in the game. My friend tells me that I should mostly be buying from and selling to other players and considering a merchant in town wants several plat for a mace not much better than the cracked staff I found I'd believe it. So, tomorrow evening when I log in someone should buy my half stack of bone chips :)

Looking forward to getting a decent two handed weapon (and maybe a bag, are bags a thing? They have to be...) so I can venture away from the free port gates and see what's out there.

Welcome Ulfilas, if I don't forget I'll hop online after work (honestly solid chance I'll forget, maybe post or send me a PM later tonight) and I can throw you some plat and invite you to the goon guild if you like. Also toss you some buffs.

Yes, EQ is the old dark ages, nothing like a theme park MMO. Its more like some people who didn't know what they were doing were trying to adapt pen&paper D&D to a MMO, and that's what makes it great. :cheeky:

Yeah you'll want to buy from players for better selection and prices. There's a tunnel in East Commons which is very very close to freeport where EVERYBODY does their trading.

Yes, bags are a HUGE deal since your starting inventory is so limited. Low level bags give you more room, higher level bags give you even more room and help with carry weight.

I can def buy you some bags and bone chips and stuff if I don't forget about it. The first few levels of EQ are especially painful, but its worth the investment to get familiar with the game.

TGG posted:

I can try to invite you as well later. If I don't forget.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

faulteroy posted:

At this point I'd start getting exp and saving your cash. Fungis are lower than ever at like 47k. If you can gather up 15k for an Iksar BP, it shouldn't be too hard to get 47k for a Fungi with some farming and grouping in Seb. You'll also need a poo poo ton of money for spells when you hit 60, but you probably know that.

Is it really worth springing for worn fungi vs. casted from the staff? Theoretically ikky bp and fungi staff would stack.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

shirunei posted:

Is it really worth springing for worn fungi vs. casted from the staff? Theoretically ikky bp and fungi staff would stack.

Worn Fungi stacks with the effect from the staff, which is a spell effect. The staff effect doesn't stack with Regrowth or SoW, which is what makes it annoying to use.

Iksar BP and Fungi staff will stack fine, as one is a worn effect and the other is a spell effect. Worn effects will almost always stack with spell effects.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Logging in now, I'll be trying to turn in my class note and then maybe going into Eastern Commons and looking around; maybe my buddy will log on too, he said instead of the Troll DK he's making an Enchanter, says Enchanter and Cleric can Duo well together so that's cool.

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010
Enchanter is the best class in the game, your buddy is making a great decision. :3:

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

shirunei posted:

The only thing that can replace a fungi tunic on a high level shaman is torpor. A fungi tunic is unequivocally the best thing an epic shaman can own before level 60. Torpor obviates a fungi tunic, but he might never get to the point where torpor is within his reach. And if he does, he can always sell the fungi to fund a torpor purchase.

A fungi tunic means you regen an additional 15hp a tick at all times for zero mana or time investment. Given the canni line of spells, that's equivalent to about 7 mana a tick both sitting and standing. That's like a permanent clarity. It stacks with a shaman's regen line of spells, and you can also throw a real clarity on top of it. A fungi tunic makes you substantially more efficient in everything you do as a shaman. It's way better than any amount of +mana or +wis could ever be.

The fungi staff is a weird item because the spell cast from it doesn't stack with sow, doesn't stack with other regen buffs, and only lasts a few minutes. I own one, but I only ever use it to recover from raid wipes or when raiding indoors and I'm burning through a lot of mana buffing people up. I don't see it being very useful to a shaman leveling up in his 50s.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Logging in now, I'll be trying to turn in my class note and then maybe going into Eastern Commons and looking around; maybe my buddy will log on too, he said instead of the Troll DK he's making an Enchanter, says Enchanter and Cleric can Duo well together so that's cool.

hoppin on

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
I just learned of the cultural sets and realized the Iksar set is much better than the Scaled Mystic I was saving up for. I was told Klay could hook me up with the imbued gems?

I need 13 Imbued Amber for my full set on Lagarton.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Innernette, I got your Silver Swiftblade on the cheap.

If anyone needs DE cultural chain, Thelema can now reliably craft the set.

Bring me the materials and you'll be partying in MM in no time!
And no, it doesn't require Blue Diamonds.

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
I also need 13x:
Froglok Blood - Dropped
Iksar Blood - Dropped
Sarnak Blood - Dropped

If anyone has any they don't need.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

SoUr posted:

I also need 13x:
Froglok Blood - Dropped
Iksar Blood - Dropped
Sarnak Blood - Dropped

To clarify, I have all of the mats you'll need. Just won't have time to run to Cabilis until later tonight to do the brewing. I've been keeping two stacks of this in my bank for the master race shamans that stick around.

SoUr posted:

I also need 13x:
Froglok Blood - Dropped
Iksar Blood - Dropped
Sarnak Blood - Dropped

None of that is necessary. I've got enough materials for 1.5 stacks of Scale Tempers. Keep your current banded and sell it for spell money, just let me know which pieces you want crafted.

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
Sweet, that'll save me some running around vendors looking for blood.

As far as I can tell, my main concern is AC and WIS for mana as a SHM right? If that's the case then the cultural beats the Scaled Mystic set for all slots.

Right now I have a full set of Banded that I can sell as soon as I have something better. I've been saving up for the gems for the Scaled Mystic armor, but after seeing the stats on the cultural, it seems like a waste.

So if you have the mats for it, I pretty much need the full set.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
HP gear is worth considering in balance with the other stuff as well.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Xaanka how did you get banned? I MUST KNOW

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
Thanks for the armor pillow, I don't think I've been this unencumbered since level 5.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My Cleric is level 5 now, I dinged grouped up in Befallen for the first time. I learned, from the example of others, that just because a higher level party opens a locked door you shouldn't go through because doors auto close. It turns out you can heal through doors so I kept alive the party members that were trapped like coal miners until the high level players came back and opened the door. I imagine they felt like cat owners "drat newbies, I just let you in!".

Loving the game so far; mechanics that other people would see as tedious and unforgiving I see as giving the game world meaning; distance, consequences of death, even dungeons that really don't care if you get trapped in them. I've always loved 'ambivalent world simulator rpgs' like Stalker and the Requiem mod for Skyrim and so far p1999 is the MMO most like that; and hey, maybe in 5 years when I've hit the level cap Pantheon will be out :v:

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

a real jerk posted:

Xaanka how did you get banned? I MUST KNOW

I made a thread about how isis scored more rl yellowtexts than the red server the other day & posted their 30 day leaderboard with a comparison to red's

SoUr posted:

Sweet, that'll save me some running around vendors looking for blood.

As far as I can tell, my main concern is AC and WIS for mana as a SHM right? If that's the case then the cultural beats the Scaled Mystic set for all slots.

Right now I have a full set of Banded that I can sell as soon as I have something better. I've been saving up for the gems for the Scaled Mystic armor, but after seeing the stats on the cultural, it seems like a waste.

So if you have the mats for it, I pretty much need the full set.

Much like bards, there are no definitive rules about shaman gear because your stats are situational. While soloing a hard hitting mob that summons, yeah AC adds to your theoretical mana pool by reducing the amount you need to heal yourself. While raiding or root rotting it does nothing.

WIS STA +mana and +hp are what's important to you as far as your mana pool goes. Whichever stat is most efficient depends on how much of each one you have. AC is good too, but it only adds indirectly to your mana. In general some items are just clearly better or worse than others, regardless of the exact itemization.

As far as scaled mystic vs cultural goes.. some items are just straight up better than others in each set..

Gauntlets: cultural (wouldnt bother with either tho, much better easier to get gloves out there)
Bracer: cultural
BP: cultural
legs: cultural on blue, scaled mystic on red
arms: scaled mystic on blue, cultural on red
helm: scaled mystic
boots: cultural on blue, scaled mystic on red

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 25, 2016

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
Happy to see NEW people giving classic EQ a try and liking it. Yeah, this isn't one of the modern easy MMOs. It has its ups and its downs.

edit: and like all of us the fun is remembering adventure stories of your terrible failures and awesome successes

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
oh i also found this in my mspaint folder, i was pretty drunk so i don't remember making/posting it but i think its safe to say it probably played a role in why i got banned

sorry, p99 forum mods :(

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 25, 2016

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
I haven't played for like 3 or 4 months, but i still read this thread and the p99 forums, and I have to say I'll miss your p99 forum presence.

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
What is the Bind Wound macro? I've never heard of this.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

I haven't played for like 3 or 4 months, but i still read this thread and the p99 forums, and I have to say I'll miss your p99 forum presence.

Only banned for a week ;-)

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

SoUr posted:

What is the Bind Wound macro? I've never heard of this.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222964

Basically it lets you regen at the rate of an additional 1-2 fungi tunics while in combat.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So hey. This is Innernette/Doctorsteve/Rottenatomy, I just came back because I'm bored. I twinked up a ranger to a reasonable degree with what cash I had(apparently I got drunk and gave most of my plat away to goons). Currently level 4 in Qeynos killing beetles like a champ haha. will probably get to 9-10 tomorrow

Anyone have an alt that they want to do Warrens/Stonebrunt Mountains with? I barely remember those zones, but I remember them being fun. Or if you want to roll a Qeynos based alt, my 50 Mage is logged in Qeynos and can damage shield buff you so you can catch up to my Ranger pretty quick.

*note I am terrible at this game, and you will probably die a lot grouping with me.

Edit: Anarch, You are my favorite goon fyi

Anarch posted:

Innernette, I got your Silver Swiftblade on the cheap.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 26, 2016

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Only banned for a week ;-)

Powerlevel me to 60!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Is the Clay Guardian Shield still a pretty solid choice for a poor shaman?