Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Hungryjack posted:

Is that the homeless guy in question shown in the tweet?

drat beaten. I was going to ask if how many neck tattoos he had or if he ran an artisanal mustache wax business on Etsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Hungryjack posted:

When I hear about an MLS team in San Antonio, all I hear is "three hour road trip" and that's enough for me.

MLS should make sure every team has a road trip about 3 hours away, it's a good balance between accessible and not too close.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

It was a huge contrast yesterday watching the DC game with like 1000 bored people in RFK stadium which is a loving dump and has the worst pitch I have ever seen, then watching the SKC game in a gorgeous stadium with a totally amped up sellout crowd.

Hell yeah. And Former League Pool Keeper Tim Melia actually doing good things. I still cringe when I see his name even though I know he's not as bad as he used to be. We'll never replace Jimmy Nielsen though

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

foobardog posted:

MLS should make sure every team has a road trip about 3 hours away, it's a good balance between accessible and not too close.

Over in the lower league thread there's a discussion about how Orlando is supposedly trying to block the Tampa Bay Rowdies' attempt to join MLS, on the grounds that the area is part of Orlando's television market or some ridiculous nonsense. All I could think was, "Why isn't Orlando beside themselves with glee over the thought of a proper rivalry?" It's not like anyone is driving from Brandon or St. Pete to go to City games anyway.

Until Atlanta joins (which will still be a six-hour road trip), the closest team to Orlando in a straight line is Houston (!), and the closest by car is DC United, approximately 15 hours away depending how crazy your driver is.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Over in the lower league thread there's a discussion about how Orlando is supposedly trying to block the Tampa Bay Rowdies' attempt to join MLS, on the grounds that the area is part of Orlando's television market or some ridiculous nonsense. All I could think was, "Why isn't Orlando beside themselves with glee over the thought of a proper rivalry?" It's not like anyone is driving from Brandon or St. Pete to go to City games anyway.

I suppose Orlando is assuming Miami will actually join to cover that "turnpike rivalry" gap, but frankly I'm all for a third Florida team at some indeterminate point in the future when Tampa has ownership willing and able to try harder than the Mutiny did at D1 level. I don't know why Orlando would block it; are they even really part of the same TV market?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 21, 2016

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

foobardog posted:

This is why we need more Midwest teams. Detroit and/or Indy would be perfect.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Wow! Timbers scored twice on that salt lake goalie! He looks like an rear end in a top hat but he's been so good for years, ruined several Sounders games I watched.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

Syrinxx posted:

It was a huge contrast yesterday watching the DC game with like 1000 bored people in RFK stadium which is a loving dump and has the worst pitch I have ever seen, then watching the SKC game in a gorgeous stadium with a totally amped up sellout crowd.

Well to be fair the Rapids were in town and god forbid Pablo let them play offense. That game was dire, at best.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Hungryjack posted:

When I hear about an MLS team in San Antonio, all I hear is "three hour road trip" and that's enough for me.

That's also about the distance between San Jose and Sacramento. I used to live right between those two cities in the Contra Costa area, so I have a fair idea about the time to travel between the two and I doubt much has changed in the past 20+ years; on weekends at least it would be an easy trip. Could definitely see Sacramento Republic joining MLS in a few years.

foobardog posted:

"Too close" would be two teams in the same stadium, ie, the late and unlamented Chivas USA. Anything not quite as close would be fine, IMO, even if only a few miles apart, as long as local demographics would support it.

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Until Atlanta joins (which will still be a six-hour road trip), the closest team to Orlando in a straight line is Houston (!), and the closest by car is DC United, approximately 15 hours away depending how crazy your driver is.

Orlando City SC official was just being greedy and trying to poison the well for the Rowdies. The number of people who make the road trip from the Tampa Bay area has to be a tiny percentage of their ticket sales, but Orlando City is greedy. Just ask the Austin Aztex fans about that! It's not as though this is the first time MLS officialdom has been short-sighted and greedy.

We've already seen some of the nature of the potential rivalry between Orlando and the Rowdies. Orlando has not been invited back since their "ultras" tried to light Al Lang on fire and punched a kid, and got some of their own people arrested and the rest ejected from the stadium. We could have a fantastic rivalry - but hopefully the supporters groups in question in Orlando will learn to tone things down a bit and stop acting like wannabe hooligans.

So yeah I think the Rowdies in MLS would be a great idea for all the reasons you mention. But, you know, without the lighting the stadium on fire and the kid punching. :unsmith:

Dallan Invictus posted:

I suppose Orlando is assuming Miami will actually join to cover that "turnpike rivalry" gap, but frankly I'm all for a third Florida team at some indeterminate point in the future when Tampa has ownership willing and able to try harder than the Mutiny did at D1 level. I don't know why Orlando would block it; are they even really part of the same TV market?

Tampa/St. Pete is a different TV market than Orlando. Tampa/St. Pete is a bigger TV market than Orlando. There is no reason why you could not have both markets in MLS. They are about 90 miles/90 minutes apart.

The Mutiny had no ownership. They were owned and run directly by MLS, hence the badly run nature of the team. And yet, people persist in blaming the Tampa Bay area soccer fans for the Mutiny's lack of success, rather than place the blame squarely where it belongs: on MLS itself. The original Tampa Bay Rowdies drew huge home crowds back in the 1970s/early 80s. The original Rowdies were the primary reason why MLS put a team in Tampa, in spite of lacking an owner. And yet, MLS refused to try to figure out why the original Rowdies were so successful, and try to imitate that success.

The Tampa Bay area soccer fans in the 1996-2001 era were rather spoiled by memories of the original Rowdies, so MLS had their work cut out for them as it was, and didn't even try to meet those expectations. The Tampa Bay area would have been better served if, like the Cascadia region, they had come into MLS later, with proper ownership, and under their original NASL identity, when things were on the upswing in MLS, rather than coming in with MLS in 1996 under a non-Rowdies identity (ie "we aren't like those nasty old NASL teams, we're totally different, honest!"), and without an owner, at a time when MLS was badly run (yes, much worse than now) and when MLS didn't know what it was doing (yes, even more so than now).

Bill Edwards has been a good owner so far, on the whole, and has invested in the team and the stadium. If he gets an expanded Al Lang like he wants, the Rowdies could quite easily be in MLS. Edwards has been very coy about joining MLS, but it is the logical next move - either with additional investors, or by selling the Rowdies at a profit to a new ownership group that is interested in MLS. Some of the anti-MLS people in the Mob on Facebook are adamant that they don't want to be in MLS and that NASL is the place to be without all of MLS's crazy rules, but they aren't being realistic. Edwards isn't going to tip his hand until a deal is done but he is probably planning on moving the Rowdies to MLS at some point, or selling out to an ownership group that will want to do so.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 22, 2016

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

I kind of want the Rowdies in MLS because they could get added to the Heritage Cup, and that might move Vancouver and Portland, and it'll be an interesting little mini tourney.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

My team has some strange promotions.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Hungryjack posted:

This image is breaking my brain. :psyduck:

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

foobardog posted:

I kind of want the Rowdies in MLS because they could get added to the Heritage Cup, and that might move Vancouver and Portland, and it'll be an interesting little mini tourney.

No one is ever going to care about the Heritage cup.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Hungryjack posted:

It's like one of those college football playcalling signs:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Hungryjack posted:

It looks like your gay furry mascot is daydreaming about a pulled pork sandwich, is that correct?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Yes, I believe that may well be a pulled pork sandwich.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Why does that sandwich have Cheetos on it and why is that dog humping that soccer ball

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

foobardog posted:

[Reads wiki: "Heritage Cup (MLS)".]

Meh. Needs more heritage.

We could have a Rowdies vs. Timbers cup, call it the "we have a Soccer Bowl trophy and you don't" cup. :smug:

NY Cosmos and Chicago Sting could play in that cup too if they ever join MLS.

plainswalker75 posted:

No one is ever going to care about the Heritage cup.

Which is why it is so awesome. :v:

Nostradingus posted:

It looks like your gay furry mascot is daydreaming about a pulled pork sandwich, is that correct?

Aren't we all? :confused:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Hungryjack posted:

That furry is the same color and texture as the cheetos on the sandwich and it's giving me some weird associations

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Actually, they are chicharrónes. I don't care for pork belly myself, but a respectable joint like Pappas wouldn't pull a gimmick like Cheetos on a BBQ sandwich.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

trem_two posted:

Timbers are going to finish in last place now, don't see how they can be motivated or recover from this

https://twitter.com/KATUNews/status/711707647402180609

Wait, didn't they just find this guy in that tree in Seattle?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Nice Guy and Former Toronto/USMNT striker Herc Gomez signed with Seattle

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Real Name Grover posted:

Just what Seattle needed, another old player. He can join Zach Scott when they go get the senior discount at Denny's.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Real Name Grover posted:

Congrats to Seattle for obtaining the most angular head in the league. Dude looks like he stepped out of an N64 game.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
1 sign of the apocalypse down, 3 to go: Beckham and co. acquired (most of) the land needed for their stadium

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Real Name Grover posted:

At least he's not a DP. The good news is that the Sounders know they need help; the bad news is that their answer so far has been to sign :corsair:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

I'm guessing the rest of the land won't be for sale, and Beckhan will be screwed, because that's how his fortunes with Miami have been.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Amazon's DOTD is MLS stuff. You can view each item to get a team selector. Climalite T-shirts are 15 bucks which is a good deal.

http://smile.amazon.com/Fan-Shop-Sports-Outdoors/b/ref=gbps_rlm_s-3_6522_5b758e70?ie=UTF8&node=13978989011

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

CaptainYesterday posted:

I'm guessing the rest of the land won't be for sale, and Beckhan will be screwed, because that's how his fortunes with Miami have been.

The rest is owned by the city.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

Amazon's DOTD is MLS stuff. You can view each item to get a team selector. Climalite T-shirts are 15 bucks which is a good deal.

http://smile.amazon.com/Fan-Shop-Sports-Outdoors/b/ref=gbps_rlm_s-3_6522_5b758e70?ie=UTF8&node=13978989011

MLS and Adidas produce some seriously garbage. Not even worth the sale price.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Now that my team is out of the NCAAs, I can concentrate my full attention on MLS. That may be the saddest sentence I've ever written.

I really hope the Fire can sign another attacker at some point this year. Igboananike just isn't a pure striker, Gilberto has been a step off this year, and Accam can't do it alone.

The defense, while not perfect, already looks better than last year. But we aren't going to win games without an offensive plan that's more than "hoof it up to Accam and hope he does something with it."

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Soccer is on today.

DC is apparently big on these 5:30 games now, which actually suits me fine. Go hang with the friends, yell at the foot and live your life on a Saturday night. Dallas lost seven players to international duty, so they'll be Bad.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I thought Garber promised to stop scheduling games during the international breaks.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

SeaTard posted:

I thought Garber promised to stop scheduling games during the international breaks.

He gave the teams the choice. The ones playing today opted in.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I remember reading that each team can request ~4 dates off, with most teams opting for all the international breaks.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

SeaTard posted:

Well since the national team took last night off the league figured they might as well pick up the slack.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
DC are the worst team in the east, and Ben Olsen should be fired. They're total poo poo and there's no exciting young players waiting in the wings. Except for Acosta, and Olsen is already loving that up.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
ben olsen winning coach of the year at any point in his tenure is the first thing i point to showing how embarrassing this league can truly be

also included in that list is a grown rear end dweeb dressing up like a lumberjack in front of a teeming throng of thousands of autists and the fact that oduro still convinces teams that he knows how to kick a ball

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Meanwhile, FCD may have developed another potential left back out of nowhere, even if he did deserve that PK call.

No idea what happened against Houston, but FCD look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
DC United just put on the worst display I've seen out of them in years. Worse than anything in 2013, to be quite honest. There's no Pajoy holding the ball up for no one, but he didn't need to. We have Sean Franklin making darts up the side only to make passes through tar to defenders. We have Nick DeLeon proving he's completely out of his depth away from the wing. We have 2016 Fabian Espindola looking like 2013 Dwayne DeRosario, and still not learning his lessons on how awful his penalty kicks are. We have Bobby Boswell, who's absolutely done at CB and needs to retire, except he's inexplicably our captain. Birnbaum being away for America left Kofi Opare in his place, who looked slow and rusty and completely out of his depth. Taylor Kemp's foot has become a misfire machine. The only player who gave a drat was Marcelo, and he got booted out in the most insane sequence I've ever seen. Missed penalty, make-up penalty, smothered kick, sudden red card.

The referee was atrocious on his own time, mind you, but even the cleanest called game wouldn't have saved this squad. When there's no chemistry, all that's left is coaching and tactics. And for four soul-sucking years, Ben Olsen has reminded us that his only ideas are backpassing, hold-up forwards and a complete lack of creative spirit. The spark has always come from the players, not the coaching; with age creeping up on this squad, there's no upside. Kitchen is gone, and he isn't coming back. Hamid will be back in mid-May, and all he'll be able to do is keep these 3-0 embarrassments from becoming 1-0 blood pressure spikers.

The stands were deflated. We all know what this looks like. This looks like a team with no ideas, no plan, a paralyzing fear of shots on goal, and all the luck that propelled us into the playoff places last year is gone. We don't have it. And since the front office has promised that they aren't spending more than a pot of coffee on anything that isn't 30 years old or American, there's no relief coming. The only hope is the US Open Cup, and even THAT got sparked three years ago by a similarly soul-killing game against our own farm club that went to penalty kicks.

Now, having said all that, we're gonna have some loving fun this year once we've gotten over how bad we are. We had more fun with a record-setting awful team than I've had the last two playoff years. So I'm gonna buckle up and dehumanize myself and face to Olsenball. I'm gonna look, as my best friend from high school said from afar, "like you're going to bite the heads off virtual kittens." I'm gonna get hype, stay hype, and horrify the masses, because I love my stupid rear end club and I'm gonna enjoy every second of this season, no matter how loving bad we are. Flipping off baseball mascots and calling them slave owning pieces of trash. Calling Marco Pappa a loving rapist. Chanting for Johnny Harkes. Watching Sean Franklin justify his inevitable homicide at our hands. Eat death burn bodies.

Goons I wanna kill

kill?

KILL?

code:
KILL.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread