Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Never not post.
Especially cattes.
Do you have a catte?

More importantly, does your catte have LTI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

so is CIG hurting for money right now as bad as it seems like? I feel like the only reason they even had concept ships is to sell something, not because they actually had a new unique idea for a ship

It's hard to believe just how poor the current sale is. They are selling nearly everything they don't normally sell, plus a new alien ship with LTI and just beating the space bus sale. 202 days until Citizen Con 2016.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Will Star Citizen model orbital mechanics, or will planets all remain stationary?

Does this mean ED has local physics grids? :v:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15251-Flyable-Ship-Sale

Wow, so many "limited" ships, I hadn't realised so many were on sale. (shown with VAT included, 20% on prices)

I wonder if someone is going to get fired this week.

Yeah, it's those ship sales (expires today) that are helping the numbers. I believe the Blade ship sale is abysmal.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Eldragon posted:

Only scenario where terraforming a gas giant to be breathable complete with floating cities makes sense would be for luxury recreation and residential space. Humans prefer to live under a sky and would probably pay a premium for the luxury of doing so. Basically space Dubai.
That's a lot of effort just so people can live above perpetually cloudy skies, which is the only difference from doing it above a terrestrial world and skipping the terraforming.

Never mind the implications of terraforming technology that potent. Like, air pollution would never be a thing.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Daztek posted:

Elderbean posted:

So is this game worth looking into, 'cause it sounds like everyone just hates it? Should I just play Elite Dangerous instead? Everyone seems to hate that too.

You should just play Elite Dangerous, which is a good game

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:anime: Hey could *insert absolutely anything here* be possible?

:madmax: Why, yes, with the LOCAL PHYSICS GRID

:anime: Awesome thanks for the answer!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I hope birds will have procedurally generated physics grids

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
:shrek: Hmmmf, this is broken :(

:holy: Oh yes it is THE LOACL PHYSICS GRID it is really not a big deal

:shrek: Oh right! Thanks for clearing that up!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I hope every object in the game has a physics grid, even bed lint. ~immersion~ it up to the max, or don't even bother trying.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

T-Minus posted:

Yeah so I'm T-Minus. The goonbrother. Thanks to the sponsorship of Haskell9, I'm a stupid newbie goon. First off, anyone who read that thread on the SC forum (in particular, my brother) should understand that I had to write that thread in a very specific manner, so as not to be destroyed by the hosts' autoimmune reaction. I knew it was going to get ugly but drat, you asked some good questions and I wanted answers. Regardless, as you can see, the results were chilling. The SC forums are a toxic place.

Secondly, you need not fear for me, I'm not a zealot. While I expect Star Citizen to release, with nearly all promised features, eventually; I'm not heavily vested in it - emotionally or financially - unlike some. While I said in the thread I'd spent $12k on the game (which is technically true), that's actually just the total that has passed through my account. The truth is, I'm one of the major grey marketeers, and every ship I've bought with that $12k I have sold for profit - In fact, my seed capital was only one $1000 ship (yep ONLY ONE $1000 digital potential future internet spaceship; what a pleb). I bought that when my hype was maxed and I was flush with an unexpected $15k payrise. It was not a characteristic purchase, but an extravagant treat for myself.

Smorgasbord my brother - this was my Opulent Coach.

But then I found the grey market. I could justify (barely) a $1000 ship, but the problem was, it wasn't worth $1000 anymore - it was selling for $2500. And so it begun. I bought and sold ship after ship, having a blast.. trading was why I was interested in SC, the auction house was always where you'd find me in D3, and poo poo, this was a REAL real money auction house. I bought a Javelin Destroyer for $2500, and sold it for $4000 the next day!

SC is great! Though I am moderately excited about the game, and I'm sure it will release - I really don't give a gently caress when. No ship sales after launch - supposedly - so that's the end of my gravy train.

And when it does, I have a couple ships in my pocket.. more than the $200 I told you (sorry bro but you shamed me). A $600 luxury yacht (my new, even more Opulent Coach), market value $800, and a $300 Scythe - market value $900, both which I can easily liquidate if things start looking grim.

My measure of confidence? I watch the grey markets $US to 'CIG store credit' exchange rate. When I start to see that slump, I am gone. At the moment RSI credit is worth more than my country's currency is, and stable.

Do not fear for me, my brother. My head is as screwed on as it ever was. I'm not spending money on SC. It's spending money on me.

Anyway, I came here to read this 'anti-SC thread' and learn some things. BUT THE THREAD IS 2500 PAGES LONG YOU ASSHOLES.

Welcome!! You are finally FREE! :)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Star Citizen - There is no limit to what we can't accomplish with local physics grids

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Daztek posted:

People skip pages???

:siren::siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren::siren: you heard it here first.

Not every goon is as crazy as Derek Smart, not every goon reads every post. We can't all be a shining example of a space commando.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Could someone who knows about local physics grids explain why you can't use the seats on the Starfarer?

:confused::confused::confused:

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Daztek posted:

I hope birds will have procedurally generated physics grids

Every bird has it's own individual gravity field, allowing you to build planets and even suns out of dead space birds!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
In fact, if the physics grids in this game, don't have physics grids, I will be upset. If one physics grid is lost to scope, whats next?

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
god drat last post of page ghosted me:

Sundowner posted:

seeing as I brought it up, and there doesn't seem to be a thread for it, has anyone played Evochron Legacy? What's it like? It looks like it actually offers more than Elite D currently does, and far more than Star Citizen will even by 2020... albeit with somewhat dated graphics but I don't really mind that because for one it would run on my now nearly dead PC :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

By that incoherent and confused conception of local physics, sure.
But of course, it would be utterly idiotic to create orbital dynamics with (nested) local physics grids in the regular sense. So no.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

I kind of miss Derek referencing legal and how legal is looking over things.

I hope legal is allright :ohdear:

Legal is fine. The bastards over there told me to STFU because I keep giving out ops material which helps RSI/CIG cover their tracks.

Nevertheless, something big is still in the works.

Two weeks.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Samizdata posted:

More importantly, does your catte have LTI?

My catte came with a 3 year warranty & has been insured since the day I got her.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

T-Minus posted:

You know, I can't help but contrast the reaction to pro-SC posts here to the reaction to anti-SC posts on the SC forum. You guys are not what I had imagined.

Welcome to the thread :). I'm pretty familiar with the RSI forums so I understand why you needed to couch your posts there with so much apologia. The sad thing is that you were attacked anyways and accused of a myriad of thought crimes.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The company also provides quality housing for their employees — both in planetside domes and in habitats woven into the latticework

ON THE SURFACE? OF THE GAS GIANT?

PARDON??

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus, I'd heard people say that the new film was basically A New Hope again, but I didn't realise it was that blatant. Really glad I didn't bother watching it now.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Voyager posted:

PARDON??

You wouldn't want to live in a bubble surrounded by liquid metallic hydrogen? Where is your sens of adventure?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Weekly dev update is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfXLSekCK4k

What a wonderful week in the 'Laxy! Here's some of the poo poo I did:

Yet another productive week in the 'Laxy! Nailed done some pretty choice features. Here's all the crap I did:

Systems/Tech
- EXPLOSIONS! (If you die, you a splode first!)
- DEATH! (ships now die when hull is 0%)
- Match start logic and sounds
- Match timer
- Match end logic and sounds
- Aggregated match stats tracking

- Refactored the central CameraManager to be not as lovely

Ships
- NEW SHIP! Behold, the Goonrathi BottleRocket
- This ship is bigger and heavier, and handles accordingly

UI
- Recap screen at the end of a match for stats and exit/replay
- Re-designed how cockpits are displayed. Still don't love it.
- Re-designed the stats overlay. It's aiight.

Writing/Lore
- Script work for the 'laxy continues

See you next week, commandos!

#solarplebeian #iamaplebe #goonrathi #birds #dreams #spacevapes

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Midnight Voyager posted:

PARDON??

Rammed earth floor is so last millennium. It's all about the rammed liquid helium these days. Just remember to not leave window ajar — it may look like an ideal solution to let the cat come and go, but the 500 GPa pressure outside will most likely liquify the cat, and the vet bill insurance doesn't cover that.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

A shovel won't help. Ask Sandi for a pushel.

Coffee-on-screen amounts of :laffo:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Midnight Voyager posted:

PARDON??
You can land on Jupiter in Battlecruiser :smug:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Eldragon posted:

This is rapidly descending into a war on the meaning of words. Which is stupid.

See above, like i've said, i was just being obnoxious.
You're right.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

EminusSleepus posted:

Why mention only the non Kool aid people.

Don't forget

Karl
Octopode
Etc..

These people are also the foundation of this thread lol

There's also:

Sandi's "friend," Fuzzy Modem

and the sad tale of of Sarsapariller

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

Weekly dev update is up!

Yet another productive week in the 'Laxy! Nailed done some pretty choice features. Here's all the crap I did:

Systems/Tech
- Match timer

Ships

UI

Writing/Lore

:five:

Also you're hurting me, Toops, hurting me bad

Please give all those poor braces their own lines

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, it's those ship sales (expires today) that are helping the numbers. I believe the Blade ship sale is abysmal.

It ain't expired 'til it's expired, I'll bet you :10bux: they'll conveniently forget to tell Turbulent that the sale is over

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

Also you're hurting me, Toops, hurting me bad

Please give all those poor braces their own lines

NO!

ONE LINE IF NO CARRIAGE RETURN!!!!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
except the last one that was probably my cat's fault.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

Rammed earth floor is so last millennium. It's all about the rammed liquid helium these days. Just remember to not leave window ajar — it may look like an ideal solution to let the cat come and go, but the 500 GPa pressure outside will most likely liquify the cat, and the vet bill insurance doesn't cover that.

It's actually all about metallic hydrogen these days :smuggo:

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Sundowner posted:

seeing as I brought it up, and there doesn't seem to be a thread for it, has anyone played Evochron Legacy? What's it like? It looks like it actually offers more than Elite D currently does, and far more than Star Citizen will even by 2020... albeit with somewhat dated graphics but I don't really mind that because for one it would run on my now nearly dead PC :v:

It's really good - like a super version of Evochron Mercenary which I also loved and sank a lot of time into. The dev releases improvement patches on a daily basis and actually cares about making a decent game.

I like mining in Evochron and combined with making and selling stuff it's a great earner.

I play it on my laptop when I don't have a net connection (when online I play Elite as I love exploring).

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Toops posted:

except the last one that was probably my cat's fault.

Isn't it all, in the end, the cat's fault?

Life is strange that way

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Toops posted:

Weekly dev update is up!
Weekly updates delivered as promised? Do you know nothing about game development?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

You obviously don't understand anything about catte development. Paws 'n Claws are literally the last stage of catte development. Pole scratching is coming in 2.4, 2.5, and so on - I get annoyed when people tell me pole scratching isn't coming, etc.

Yeah, well, I filed a ticket for the bladder/memory leak, and there's STILL no patch.

Also, I heard they were adding procedural catte dancing and horn playing. Any news on that? I could want to get 20 years out of my catte....

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

Weekly dev update is up!

Systems/Tech
- Match timer

Ships

UI

Writing/Lore

loving :five:!!!!!!

Toops, this thread doesn't deserve you.

• Locked thread