Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Forewarned is forearmed! Can you spot a backer at a distance? Look for these tell tale signs and save yourself from being cornered by a smelly sperg!

. Greasy ginger facial hair that looks like something from the bottom of a washing machine

. lovely cheap glasses with thin rims

. Fedora, no more explanation needed.

. They're super keen to talk about Atheism and how clever they are "I scare the bejesus out of people when they realise how clever I am"

. They have a youtube channel dedicated to how much they like can't wait for star citizen

. They mention Derek Smart and actually believe he controls this thread.

. Sandals.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

orcinus posted:

Why do they have loving SHIPYARD CRANES on a gravity defying, floating platform?

immersion

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tokamak posted:

Where do they find enough oxygen to terraform the atmosphere of a gas giant? Do they strip the water, atmosphere, and process the matter of hundred/s of rocky earth-like planets? Then come up with some way to ship this insane amount of material to a gas giant...

They're made of liquid and crystalline hydrogen and helium, possible with a core of rock or metal. So obviously, you just fuse all that H and He into gas-phase N and O — I'm sure that the impact of the change in density and energy will be negligible, and will definitely be distributed so as to produce 1 Atm @ 300°K. :science:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

just checking it to see if the game is still bad

looks like it is

carry on

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tippis posted:

They're made of liquid and crystalline hydrogen and helium, possible with a core of rock or metal. So obviously, you just fuse all that H and He into gas-phase N and O — I'm sure that the impact of the change in density and energy will be negligible, and will definitely be distributed so as to produce 1 Atm @ 300°K. :science:

I should have thought of that. Pretty 'logical' from a bad sci-fi point of view.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Space Skeleton posted:

I'm really happy that the metagame for ED is finally getting off the ground. There are now over 200 player factions (maybe like 300+ now even? there is no official list) all concerning themselves with system, station and ground base ownership. It's slowly ramping up and the first hints of player faction vs player faction conflicts are brewing and that will be pretty interesting to take part in.

A couple edge case mechanics for the system control stuff need tweaking but overall it adds a very interesting and deep new layer to the game.

I think with powerplay, some faction-pvp is forming up.
Would be nice for some support from the devs to kick it off, like dedicated zones, or missions to kill players or something.

I will fight for the Disney Princess till the bitter end! (50% hull with no shields, that is)

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Ignoring all the physics related reasons terraforming a gas giant wouldn't work, why would you loving bother anyway. If you can terraform, terraform a planet with a surface you can live on and use.

Also this is a universe where terraforming gas giants is a thing they can do, but they still use guns that fire bullets and refuel ships by sending someone to stand on a platform in space.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

alphabettitouretti posted:

Ignoring all the physics related reasons terraforming a gas giant wouldn't work, why would you loving bother anyway. If you can terraform, terraform a planet with a surface you can live on and use.

Also this is a universe where terraforming gas giants is a thing they can do, but they still use guns that fire bullets and refuel ships by sending someone to stand on a platform in space.

Because George Lucas did it in Empire. Therefore, it's there for Chris to rip off and he has no option left but to do so.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

alphabettitouretti posted:

A platform right behind the thruster.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I think with powerplay, some faction-pvp is forming up.
Would be nice for some support from the devs to kick it off, like dedicated zones, or missions to kill players or something.

I will fight for the Disney Princess till the bitter end! (50% hull with no shields, that is)

Most of the community turned away from powerplay because it's kind of terrible so now it's a skeleton crew of people actively backing each power. It does generate a little pvp yeah, but nothing like the org vs org stuff which has just started happening with player factions. And that's only just barely getting started as player factions stretch out and run into each other as they expand to new systems.

Once we have the ability to flag your group affiliation on your ship like with powerplay pledging all sorts of fun emergent PvP stuff is gonna go down.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

A platform right behind the thruster.

Stimpire Approved.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I was listening to my CROWS' Favourite Eurovision Songs playlist and this song was recommended:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApcFBZVbAPA

I think it should go in Solar Plebeian.

The original song always makes me happy, and this remix fills me with the exact opposite of grief.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Also vaguely related question for Toops and the programmers in here: I've been a Project Manager for several years and my "programming background" is mostly just knowing SQL and basic database architecture, and occasionally taking a java class or learning enough VBA to do something in Excel that I couldn't otherwise do in formulas. I feel like every time I've tried to learn a little more programming so I don't feel quite as lost at times dealing with other programmers, I start by trying to find a language (I should learn Java! orI should try C++) but eventually feel like I lose the forest for the trees. Is that how you guys learned programming from a macro-level? Just picking up a language, using it, then finding another to try when you felt good with the last or found its limitations? Or is there some learning resource you had that gave you a larger birds-eye view on how to keep up with the macro trends in programming, separate from just knowing a specific number of common languages?

Oof.
I'm going to answer a slightly different question, but one that you probably need to get a response to before we dive into what you're asking.

That question is: what is “programming”? More specifically, what is it you want to actually learn?

There are at least three distinct branches of “make computer do stuff” that are often squashed together under the term programming. One is the actual production of code — knowing a language, its core functions, types, data structures, and connected interfaces and API — probably the most immediate connotation of the term. Another is more the computer science angle of things: what does the code actually do and how does it affect how the computer behaves? This is the world of understanding pointers, recursion vs. iteration, algorithms, lambda calculus, abstraction layers and so on. The third is the architectural/design layer: how do you decide on and cobble together the objects and functions in such a way as to make the code inside those building blocks easy to use in a more complex system?

If you want to learn programming from a macro level, paradoxically, it's probably best to start at the micro level and learn a bit about the micro-level CS stuff. All languages are just different implementations of the same core concepts, and having that understanding of what is actually going on will help you understand why one language is “better” for some task than another. If you want to just make fun tools for yourself, then it's more a case of what you've already tried: pick a language, find some books on the topic (yes, books — wait with the online stuff because nothing will kill your interest as quickly as interacting with a language community), and start building. If you want to understand programmers, you probably lean more towards needing the architecture layer: you're not going to discuss the code itself, but how it is used to solve a larger problem.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Space Skeleton posted:

Most of the community turned away from powerplay because it's kind of terrible so now it's a skeleton crew of people actively backing each power. It does generate a little pvp yeah, but nothing like the org vs org stuff which has just started happening with player factions. And that's only just barely getting started as player factions stretch out and run into each other as they expand to new systems.

Once we have the ability to flag your group affiliation on your ship like with powerplay pledging all sorts of fun emergent PvP stuff is gonna go down.

Huh, interesting. Care to point to where in reddit or the forums can you read about this faction vs faction actions (i.e. not Powerplay)?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Space Skeleton posted:

One of my major gripes with Elite.
Like almost everything else, the powerplay mechanics are extremely complex and amazingly well thought and fleshed out and gives a shitton of stuff to do..... but the incentive to do so is not there because the rewards are poo poo.
Except the prismatic shield.
Hail the Disney Princess.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

He's the Prince of spirit animals. A true trail-blazer in performance art.

T-Minus
Mar 21, 2016

Belief is a state of mind
In my state, I mind.
Believe it!
Yeah so I'm T-Minus. The goonbrother. Thanks to the sponsorship of Haskell9, I'm a stupid newbie goon. First off, anyone who read that thread on the SC forum (in particular, my brother) should understand that I had to write that thread in a very specific manner, so as not to be destroyed by the hosts' autoimmune reaction. I knew it was going to get ugly but drat, you asked some good questions and I wanted answers. Regardless, as you can see, the results were chilling. The SC forums are a toxic place.

Secondly, you need not fear for me, I'm not a zealot. While I expect Star Citizen to release, with nearly all promised features, eventually; I'm not heavily vested in it - emotionally or financially - unlike some. While I said in the thread I'd spent $12k on the game (which is technically true), that's actually just the total that has passed through my account. The truth is, I'm one of the major grey marketeers, and every ship I've bought with that $12k I have sold for profit - In fact, my seed capital was only one $1000 ship (yep ONLY ONE $1000 digital potential future internet spaceship; what a pleb). I bought that when my hype was maxed and I was flush with an unexpected $15k payrise. It was not a characteristic purchase, but an extravagant treat for myself.

Smorgasbord my brother - this was my Opulent Coach.

But then I found the grey market. I could justify (barely) a $1000 ship, but the problem was, it wasn't worth $1000 anymore - it was selling for $2500. And so it begun. I bought and sold ship after ship, having a blast.. trading was why I was interested in SC, the auction house was always where you'd find me in D3, and poo poo, this was a REAL real money auction house. I bought a Javelin Destroyer for $2500, and sold it for $4000 the next day!

SC is great! Though I am moderately excited about the game, and I'm sure it will release - I really don't give a gently caress when. No ship sales after launch - supposedly - so that's the end of my gravy train.

And when it does, I have a couple ships in my pocket.. more than the $200 I told you (sorry bro but you shamed me). A $600 luxury yacht (my new, even more Opulent Coach), market value $800, and a $300 Scythe - market value $900, both which I can easily liquidate if things start looking grim.

My measure of confidence? I watch the grey markets $US to 'CIG store credit' exchange rate. When I start to see that slump, I am gone. At the moment RSI credit is worth more than my country's currency is, and stable.

Do not fear for me, my brother. My head is as screwed on as it ever was. I'm not spending money on SC. It's spending money on me.

Anyway, I came here to read this 'anti-SC thread' and learn some things. BUT THE THREAD IS 2500 PAGES LONG YOU ASSHOLES.

T-Minus fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 21, 2016

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I didn't read through all of it because I gotta go to work, but welcome

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

This looks pretty cool TBH, but yeah :lol: at this gelling with realism and/or fidelity

Another Monday, one of many - too many. The artists and developers collapse into their chairs, with a force that makes apparent none of them would trust gravity to perform the task adequately. Large mugs of coffee are quaffed, more than one filled up after the return to their desks as the functionals begin the long struggle to drink themselves sober.

As a familiar shuffling sound reaches them from the corridor, they start and make desperate attempts at looking hard at work. Guilty stares are shared all around: who will meet his eyes? Not having met consensus, they're forced to turn around all at once at the sound of the Chairman's voice.

"You guys just won't believe this cool concept I have," Roberts states, his hands dancing their hypnotizing swirl that makes their eyes follow in bewilderment. "How about we make Cloud City - but with an oil platform aesthetic, and in a gas giant's stratosphere?!"

The developers' nervous smiles freeze. Their eyes meet in resignation; "it's bad - very bad, even - but not as bad as we feared" they silently agree. Passing Roberts's sketch from hand to hand, the smiles become even more strained.

"We'll, uh, get right on that, Mr. Roberts sir", one says, forcing his face into a caricature of feigned enthusiasm that he knows Roberts can't penetrate.

As Roberts leaves, a collective sigh of relief, as usual, follows. One of the artists begins the task set before them with impressive lack of zeal. PLATFORM he spells out in capitals on the doughnut-shaped abortion. "Why bother", he wonders idly, "making a torus-shape platform in a universe with artificial gravity - never mind in an actual gravity well?" Putting down his stylus, he forces files this latest complaint in the archives far back in his mind. A glance at his watch sends his mind racing, only half-consciously calculating the number of seconds until he can clock out. Looking back at the screen, the words seem to taunt him. PLATFORM - a just portrayal of his career, his entire life in fact. In a fit of rage he clears the screen, blinking hard to force the words out of his mind. A solitary tear wanders down his cheeks, angrily brushed away by his, by now, well-polished sleeve.

His neck hairs signal Roberts's return, seconds before his ears register its sound. Another glance at his watch before forcing his eyes back to the floating toroid, another involuntary tally of seconds passed.

"It's a terraformed gas giant too," quoth the Chairman. "And the platform's a ship manufacturing plant!"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The level of cognitive dissonance engaged in by Star Citizen backers is almost immeasurably large. These are the people who claim that CIG is doing things that have never been done before, yet the PTU is concrete evidence that CIG is failing on an epic scale. These are the same people who would crucify any other gaming company for getting a single pixel out of place, but when CIG lies wholesale, even about their fundamental design goals, all that gets swept under the rug. Claims like:

You're not controlling your spaceship - you're controlling your man who's controlling your spaceship.

Claimed more than once, most recently by Disco on one of their videos, this claim is a weird one. The implication is that your FPS character is always your central point of control - that when you get in the seat of a ship, you're still really playing your FPS character, but with the added dimension of having your movement controls translate into ship inputs that allow you to fly around without ever leaving your "immersive" first-person viewpoint.

Except it's all poo poo, isn't it? Even a cursory examination of the mechanics makes it clear that when you get in the seat of your ship, you are no longer controlling your spaceman. He can't be shot or injured in any way. He feels "G-forces", while passengers do not, further clarifying that there is a world of difference between a true FPS character and the model now occupying your pilot's seat. You are now directly controlling the ship - which moves around precisely like a FPS character in a Crysis mod might, rather than how a ship would feel. G-forces are only applied to the ship itself, so only the player piloting that ship feels them. In short, this is a huge lie they've been pushing, but it's entirely overlooked. Where's that legendary gamer outrage? Where are the people who use phrases like "a slap in the face" when discussing a mechanic in a video game? They're strangely silent.

Realisting thruster modeling on ships - thrusters determine direction - realistic damage models means that if you take damage to certain components the ship will fly differently, all modeled with realistic physics.

There have been lots of excellent points about how this is a stupid idea on the face of it, since movement compensation via computer adjustment is a thing that exists today, so let's ignore that for the moment. Here too, CIG has lied about this entirely. Every ship is just a FPS character with no mass or momentum, and there is no such thing as "flight", "thrust", or anything else at all. Anyone who's played any space game between Wing Commander and now knows this after flying one of these trash heaps for more than 5 seconds. If you get a thruster blown off your ship, it "flies" the same as it ever did. There isn't just no realistic thruster modeling - there are actually no ship physics at all in this game. You're a ship model running through a Crysis map with gravity turned off. It's the most amateur cheat you could possibly pull off - something that would make a solo indie developer feel dirty for doing - and here is a $110 million company doing it in plain sight, while claiming the opposite.

It blows me away what they're getting away with. CIG is a 3-year-old child sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor, surrounded by the broken remnants of a cookie jar, with a cookie in each hand and another one hanging out of its mouth, looking up at you and saying "I didn't do it." And the backers are the parents who believe it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

T-Minus posted:

Anyway, I came here to read this 'anti-SC thread' and learn some things. BUT THE THREAD IS 2500 PAGES LONG YOU ASSHOLES.

and this is only the latest incarnation of this thread

also welcome aboard

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tippis posted:

Oof.
I'm going to answer a slightly different question, but one that you probably need to get a response to before we dive into what you're asking.

That question is: what is “programming”? More specifically, what is it you want to actually learn?

There are at least three distinct branches of “make computer do stuff” that are often squashed together under the term programming. One is the actual production of code — knowing a language, its core functions, types, data structures, and connected interfaces and API — probably the most immediate connotation of the term. Another is more the computer science angle of things: what does the code actually do and how does it affect how the computer behaves? This is the world of understanding pointers, recursion vs. iteration, algorithms, lambda calculus, abstraction layers and so on. The third is the architectural/design layer: how do you decide on and cobble together the objects and functions in such a way as to make the code inside those building blocks easy to use in a more complex system?

If you want to learn programming from a macro level, paradoxically, it's probably best to start at the micro level and learn a bit about the micro-level CS stuff. All languages are just different implementations of the same core concepts, and having that understanding of what is actually going on will help you understand why one language is “better” for some task than another. If you want to just make fun tools for yourself, then it's more a case of what you've already tried: pick a language, find some books on the topic (yes, books — wait with the online stuff because nothing will kill your interest as quickly as interacting with a language community), and start building. If you want to understand programmers, you probably lean more towards needing the architecture layer: you're not going to discuss the code itself, but how it is used to solve a larger problem.

yospos answer - The C Programming Language by K&R

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

T-Minus posted:

Welcome Commando o9

From what you write I hear much about the trading of ships but not so much of the game that said ships are supposed to be flown in. What is the game that you hope to be playing, and could you specify some make-or-break thingie by which you would consider SC to be a failure if they fail to deliver it?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

T-Minus posted:

Yeah so I'm T-Minus. The goonbrother. Thanks to the sponsorship of Haskell9, I'm a stupid newbie goon. First off, anyone who read that thread on the SC forum (in particular, my brother) should understand that I had to write that thread in a very specific manner, so as not to be destroyed by the hosts' autoimmune reaction. I knew it was going to get ugly but drat, you asked some good questions and I wanted answers. Regardless, as you can see, the results were chilling. The SC forums are a toxic place.

Welcome! The SC forums are indeed toxic - if SC releases in any capacity, that is the community that will be occupying the 'Universe, no doubt making for an incredibly pleasant gaming experience.

This thread is huge, but worth every post. Prepare yourself for the sickening and heartbreaking truths of CIG.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

T-Minus posted:

And when it does, I have a couple ships in my pocket.. more than the $200 I told you (sorry bro but you shamed me). A $600 luxury yacht (my new, even more Opulent Coach), market value $800, and a $300 Scythe - market value $900, both which I can easily liquidate if things start looking grim.

My measure of confidence? I watch the grey markets $US to 'CIG store credit' exchange rate. When I start to see that slump, I am gone. At the moment RSI credit is worth more than my country's currency is, and stable.

Things are already grim, you should get the rest of your money/profits out. I think the chances of there ever being a 890 jump in any form or game are approaching zero. You should have sold the scythe when they were going for $1400, you wait longer and you're going to lose more. I understand you don't see it as losing money as some of it was bought with profits, but even if by some miracle Star Citizen releases and is a good game there's no way paying even $300 for a scythe will have been a good decision.

They are selling a vanduul ship, plus a dozen other limited ships and the hourly is falling to normal levels. The bubble has burst and the market almost dead.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

MedicineHut posted:

Huh, interesting. Care to point to where in reddit or the forums can you read about this faction vs faction actions (i.e. not Powerplay)?

There are no (public) discussions about it so far. That will change before long. The player factions who are now finding themselves uncomfortably close to each other are in the "size them up" phase with maybe a few skirmishes. All out war has yet to happen as far as I know but it's teetering in a few areas. I expect the threads will show up when someone finally declares war on someone else.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Yeah I can see how some of those would outshine the Blade. Is the Starfarer on sale?

they plan on putting the starfarer for sale when 2.3 goes Live, which makes some sense, but I think they may have been better off capitalizing on the hype from the ship-shape tour and pad some of these awful numbers by putting it it on sale now.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

Things are already grim, you should get the rest of your money/profits out. I think the chances of there ever being a 890 jump in any form or game are approaching zero. You should have sold the scythe when they were going for $1400, you wait longer and you're going to lose more. I understand you don't see it as losing money as some of it was bought with profits, but even if by some miracle Star Citizen releases and is a good game there's no way paying even $300 for a scythe will have been a good decision.

They are selling a vanduul ship, plus a dozen other limited ships and the hourly is falling to normal levels. The bubble has burst and the market almost dead.

Also this. Your opulent coaches will lose most of their worth once CIG puts them on sale again - as they have done with almost all the other absolutely limited we promise ships.

CIG is watching the grey market as well, and any discrepancy between their sales prices and the prices on the market is just cash on the table for them. With the :flaccid: way the Blade sale's been going they'll be sure to go back to any other low hanging fruit when they need some cash injection

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
terraform the gas giant with billions of people living on it into a star

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Scruffpuff posted:

The level of cognitive dissonance engaged in by Star Citizen backers is almost immeasurably large. These are the people who claim that CIG is doing things that have never been done before, yet the PTU is concrete evidence that CIG is failing on an epic scale. These are the same people who would crucify any other gaming company for getting a single pixel out of place, but when CIG lies wholesale, even about their fundamental design goals, all that gets swept under the rug. Claims like:

You're not controlling your spaceship - you're controlling your man who's controlling your spaceship.

Claimed more than once, most recently by Disco on one of their videos, this claim is a weird one. The implication is that your FPS character is always your central point of control - that when you get in the seat of a ship, you're still really playing your FPS character, but with the added dimension of having your movement controls translate into ship inputs that allow you to fly around without ever leaving your "immersive" first-person viewpoint.

Except it's all poo poo, isn't it? Even a cursory examination of the mechanics makes it clear that when you get in the seat of your ship, you are no longer controlling your spaceman. He can't be shot or injured in any way. He feels "G-forces", while passengers do not, further clarifying that there is a world of difference between a true FPS character and the model now occupying your pilot's seat. You are now directly controlling the ship - which moves around precisely like a FPS character in a Crysis mod might, rather than how a ship would feel. G-forces are only applied to the ship itself, so only the player piloting that ship feels them. In short, this is a huge lie they've been pushing, but it's entirely overlooked. Where's that legendary gamer outrage? Where are the people who use phrases like "a slap in the face" when discussing a mechanic in a video game? They're strangely silent.

Realisting thruster modeling on ships - thrusters determine direction - realistic damage models means that if you take damage to certain components the ship will fly differently, all modeled with realistic physics.

There have been lots of excellent points about how this is a stupid idea on the face of it, since movement compensation via computer adjustment is a thing that exists today, so let's ignore that for the moment. Here too, CIG has lied about this entirely. Every ship is just a FPS character with no mass or momentum, and there is no such thing as "flight", "thrust", or anything else at all. Anyone who's played any space game between Wing Commander and now knows this after flying one of these trash heaps for more than 5 seconds. If you get a thruster blown off your ship, it "flies" the same as it ever did. There isn't just no realistic thruster modeling - there are actually no ship physics at all in this game. You're a ship model running through a Crysis map with gravity turned off. It's the most amateur cheat you could possibly pull off - something that would make a solo indie developer feel dirty for doing - and here is a $110 million company doing it in plain sight, while claiming the opposite.

It blows me away what they're getting away with. CIG is a 3-year-old child sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor, surrounded by the broken remnants of a cookie jar, with a cookie in each hand and another one hanging out of its mouth, looking up at you and saying "I didn't do it." And the backers are the parents who believe it.

:golfclap:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

T-Minus posted:

No ship sales after launch - supposedly - so that's the end of my gravy train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFv6Hoe5wE8&t=516s

Watch all that answer, ships will be sold after release, even the hornet was listed, they'll just not sell the ships individually (maybe), you'll have to buy a game package with the ship. But he's reserving the right to sell more things if needed, spoiler it will be needed, they love selling everything.

List the other major stuff you believe if you like and we'll see how close it matches.

Best outcome, game is very pay2win and really grindy.

AP fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 21, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Another Monday, one of many - too many. The artists and developers collapse into their chairs, with a force that makes apparent none of them would trust gravity to perform the task adequately. Large mugs of coffee are quaffed, more than one filled up after the return to their desks as the functionals begin the long struggle to drink themselves sober.

As a familiar shuffling sound reaches them from the corridor, they start and make desperate attempts at looking hard at work. Guilty stares are shared all around: who will meet his eyes? Not having met consensus, they're forced to turn around all at once at the sound of the Chairman's voice.

"You guys just won't believe this cool concept I have," Roberts states, his hands dancing their hypnotizing swirl that makes their eyes follow in bewilderment. "How about we make Cloud City - but with an oil platform aesthetic, and in a gas giant's stratosphere?!"

The developers' nervous smiles freeze. Their eyes meet in resignation; "it's bad - very bad, even - but not as bad as we feared" they silently agree. Passing Roberts's sketch from hand to hand, the smiles become even more strained.

"We'll, uh, get right on that, Mr. Roberts sir", one says, forcing his face into a caricature of feigned enthusiasm that he knows Roberts can't penetrate.

As Roberts leaves, a collective sigh of relief, as usual, follows. One of the artists begins the task set before them with impressive lack of zeal. PLATFORM he spells out in capitals on the doughnut-shaped abortion. "Why bother", he wonders idly, "making a torus-shape platform in a universe with artificial gravity - never mind in an actual gravity well?" Putting down his stylus, he forces files this latest complaint in the archives far back in his mind. A glance at his watch sends his mind racing, only half-consciously calculating the number of seconds until he can clock out. Looking back at the screen, the words seem to taunt him. PLATFORM - a just portrayal of his career, his entire life in fact. In a fit of rage he clears the screen, blinking hard to force the words out of his mind. A solitary tear wanders down his cheeks, angrily brushed away by his, by now, well-polished sleeve.

His neck hairs signal Roberts's return, seconds before his ears register its sound. Another glance at his watch before forcing his eyes back to the floating toroid, another involuntary tally of seconds passed.

"It's a terraformed gas giant too," quoth the Chairman. "And the platform's a ship manufacturing plant!"

fantastic

T-Minus
Mar 21, 2016

In my state, I mind.
Believe it!

AP posted:

I haven't read the thread yet, so I can't comment on the state of development, but I know my market. I can afford to let them ride a little longer yet. Scythe is as solid an investment as you can get in SC.

Welcome Commando o9

From what you write I hear much about the trading of ships but not so much of the game that said ships are supposed to be flown in. What is the game that you hope to be playing, and could you specify some make-or-break thingie by which you would consider SC to be a failure if they fail to deliver it?

All I'm looking for is an MMO successor to Freelancer, but with a bit more depth than ED. Pretty sure I'll get that much. I understand, not everyone has managed their expectations to this degree. As for make or break, the VR support was a big point for me, I'll be pretty dark if that doesn't happen. And yes, I understand that to be truly effective, VR needs to be built in natively. I also understand that this does not seem to be happening.

Hey thanks for all the welcomes. This place is actually hilarious, and I can't believe how refreshing it is to have no memes. I think I am experiencing paradigm shift.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

T-Minus posted:

Yeah so I'm T-Minus.

Welcome. While Reddit and the brown sea will paint us as rabid anti-SC zealots who shout down all dissenting voices we welcome all opinions, save for those of paedophile bitcoin millionaires. Nothing you post will be hidden from view and nobody will come along and ban you for not posting a poll.

quote:

While I expect Star Citizen to release, with nearly all promised features, eventually

This isn't going to happen. Chris Robots is an incompetent ideas man who cannot help meddling, resulting in their work being redone over and over again. Many of the features he's promised are either unfeasibly complex, stupid or completely insane. And he doesn't give a poo poo about Star Citizen because he's focused on making his movie-game Squadron 42.

quote:

Get out now. If you wait any longer you risk getting little or nothing back. The glory days are gone, there are no more fat profits to be had and even if by some miracle the game is released it is not going to be worth hundreds of dollars.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

T-Minus posted:

and I can't believe how refreshing it is to have :gary::lesnick:no memes:lesnick::yarg:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm looking forward to seeing Squadron 42 Episode One in Early Access while on a Steam summer sale for a couple bucks in a few years.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Welcome to the resistance, T-Minus.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing Squadron 42 Episode One in Early Access while on a Steam summer sale for a couple bucks in a few years.

you'll only have to wait.... 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Minus
Mar 21, 2016

In my state, I mind.
Believe it!

Also this. Your opulent coaches will lose most of their worth once CIG puts them on sale again - as they have done with almost all the other absolutely limited we promise ships.

CIG is watching the grey market as well, and any discrepancy between their sales prices and the prices on the market is just cash on the table for them. With the :flaccid: way the Blade sale's been going they'll be sure to go back to any other low hanging fruit when they need some cash injection

Oh man, I'm well aware of CIG's 'limited ships' 'policy'. They have broken their word many times about this. But every time they wriggle round a promise, they reiterate that they will never sell the Scythe or the Idris-M again. They've tied the last shreds of their integrity to it. That's my gamble.

I should note, I'm unable to decide whether I am in absolute awe or absolute disgust with CIG marketing. It's so incredible vile, yet so ruthlessly efficient.

I'm generally (pending thread reading) pro-CIG, but drat they will sell their soul for a dollar, this is truth.

• Locked thread