Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MrBling posted:

He's a firefighter now.

Imagine how many lives lost because Scotty insists on doing the Worm before connecting the hose to the hydrant every time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Did he ever actually appear on television outside of the hype videos? I remembered him as a Monster of the Week for Taker, but they decided to cancel the debut for some reason.

that was Hade Vansen who had a bunch of promos but never debuted.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spongeh posted:

that was Hade Vansen who had a bunch of promos but never debuted.

No, Mordecai was the future Kevin Thorn

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I meant the "monster of the week who disappeared before debut," sorry. Mordecai had a few matches and ended up as Kevin Thorn, Hade Vansen had a bunch of (pretty cool) promos and was intended to go up against Taker but he never had a televised match.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
There was also Nathan Jones who got a bunch of hype videos and was going to tag with Taker at Mania but that fell through and he quit within the year including months of being off TV.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Tell us how he left wwe. That's the best part of his story.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Please refer to Nathan jones as "the colossus of boggo road"

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

oldpainless posted:

Please refer to Nathan jones as "the colossus of boggo road"

lmao i havent thought about this in 13 years. why is it still in my brain

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

ICHIBAHN posted:

Tell us how he left wwe. That's the best part of his story.

Looking it up it looks like he was on tour in Australia with WWE and basically said "Welp, traveling kinda sucks, seeya!" and left.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Grozz Nuy posted:

Ricochet does 450s too, but he'll use it as a springboard move rather than a top rope move and hardly ever finishes matches with it.

Striker is full of poo poo though, and the way he constantly plays it off as puppet master crap makes him even more of a massive tool.

Yeah - Puma does 450s, but they're certainly not enough of a core and unique part of his arsenal that Fenix doing a 450 counts as stealing Ricochet's move. Fortunately, Vampiro responded to that bit of commentary by immediately listing like half a dozen puro guys who did 450s.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
For all of Vampiro's issues as a commentator, I love that he calls out Striker every time he says something excessively dumb.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Nathan Jones' pre-taped hype vignettes were pretty awesome though.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
the lone upside of not getting el-rey network was that when I did watch some of lucha underground it was striker-free on commentary on the uni-mas broadcast (last year when uni-mas still had LU)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Sean O'Haire was another great gimmick that got ruined by inept booking immediately. His "devil's advocate" hype promos were really interesting but they had no idea how to book a big muscular dude who moved like a cruiserweight. I think the only things he ended up doing were getting Brian Kendrick to streak and joining Roddy Piper for some reason. Which is a shame because he was a solid worker who could've been a lot bigger than he was.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

sticklefifer posted:

Sean O'Haire was another great gimmick that got ruined by inept booking immediately. His "devil's advocate" hype promos were really interesting but they had no idea how to book a big muscular dude who moved like a cruiserweight. I think the only things he ended up doing were getting Brian Kendrick to streak and joining Roddy Piper for some reason. Which is a shame because he was a solid worker who could've been a lot bigger than he was.

A highlight of those promo packages was coming back from one on PPV and having King flabbergasted and talking about how God would kick Sean's rear end for saying what he said about living without religion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sticklefifer posted:

He kept on corpsing and they stuck him with Piper to try to save the gimmick

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
Shinsuke Nakamura

How much is WWE paying him? Is that more than he could get in Japan?

Same question for Kana (Asuka) and Hideo Itami.

I'm interested in how much money the WWE is spending on Japanese wrestlers, since they keep hiring pretty big stars. Are the deals exclusive? Might this mean we get to see more live events filmed in Japan?

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

OldTennisCourt posted:

A highlight of those promo packages was coming back from one on PPV and having King flabbergasted and talking about how God would kick Sean's rear end for saying what he said about living without religion.

Any idea which PPV this is? This sounds hilarious.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Backlash and Judgment Day 2003 are the only PPVs he appeared at with that gimmick far as I can see, so it should be one of those.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

ThePariah posted:

Any idea which PPV this is? This sounds hilarious.

Judgement Day 2002. I don't know when in the show it happens, wanna say middle of it, but they play his hype up package and he's talking about living without religion or something like that and King's like "WELL, THE BIG MAN UPSTAIRS, HE MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY ABOUT MR. SEAN O HAIRE!"

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Scott Justice posted:

Shinsuke Nakamura

I'm interested in how much money the WWE is spending on Japanese wrestlers, since they keep hiring pretty big stars. Are the deals exclusive? Might this mean we get to see more live events filmed in Japan?

Aye probably, dunno how much, dunno why, yes they're exclusive and it's more likely than not there'll be more shows in Japan now

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I watched a really cool Thesz vs. Rogers 2/3 falls match from 1950 a few weeks ago, and it got me wondering: what would you guys say is the earliest match that still holds up?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

remusclaw posted:

I thought it was basically a big boot where the guy doing it spins his body in toward the non kicking leg.

But it does now seem to refer mostly to what I used to think of as the Kawada kick, that being the rushing corner boot. Other people just seem to do a big boot, so it isn't really very consistent
I always thought a kenka kick was just any thrusting push kick. Like a big boot and a kenka kick were different in the same way that a clothesline and a lariat are different; the former requires the guy to be running into it.

Jenny Angel posted:

I watched a really cool Thesz vs. Rogers 2/3 falls match from 1950 a few weeks ago, and it got me wondering: what would you guys say is the earliest match that still holds up?
Depending on how much you like shoot wrestling you might enjoy some Shikat matches from the 40s.

I want to say Gorgeous George, but a lot of his thing was deliberately stalling to piss off the audience to no end.

sticklefifer posted:

If pre-debut hype packages count, Mordecai comes to mind.
The worst of all was all the promos Warrior did before Wrestlemania VI. He played up his rivalry with a mysterious unseen adversary called Ho Kogan, and then the angle was just quietly dropped. I guess they decided that a champion vs. champion match was exciting enough without convoluting it, or maybe Hulk Hogan just didn't want another nemesis stealing his thunder.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Scott Justice posted:

Shinsuke Nakamura

I don't know about Asuka and Hideo, but Dave Meltzer reported on an episode of the Wrestling Observer podcast that Nakamura is getting WWE main event-level money despite being on NXT. Really, it's about the closest thing to an ideal situation a person in NXT could possibly hope for.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 21, 2016

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

I don't know about Asuka and Hideo, but Dave Meltzer reported on an episode of the Wrestling Observer podcast that Nakamura is getting WWE main event-level money despite being on NXT. Really, it's about the closest thing to an ideal situation a person in NXT could possibly hope for.

Wasn't that later clarified to be main roster money, not main event? I could be misremembering though; I get all my Meltzer reports second hand.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

main roster not main event

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

On the subject of Scotty 2 Hotty, didn't he pull off a MOTYC with Dean Malenko once?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Diabolik900 posted:

Wasn't that later clarified to be main roster money, not main event? I could be misremembering though; I get all my Meltzer reports second hand.

Super No Vacancy posted:

main roster not main event

Bah, so I was right before my edit. :argh:

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Ostentatious posted:

On the subject of Scotty 2 Hotty, didn't he pull off a MOTYC with Dean Malenko once?

EDIT - better quality version in the related videos - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3bid0s_scotty-2-hotty-vs-dean-malenko_sport

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 21, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The only reason anyone even cares about this match is the DDT at the end.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You gently caress right off with your lack of appreciation for Scotty 2 Hotty

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ostentatious posted:

I think considering who was involved it's safer to say Dean Malenko pulled off a pretty good match with Scott 2 Hotty. I don't think it'd be considered a motyc from what I remember though

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
So Stan Hansen is getting in the WWE HOF. I just finished his book, and if you can get past the "grandpa telling stories" tone of it, he actually has a lot of interesting stories about Japan in it.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

sticklefifer posted:

If pre-debut hype packages count, Mordecai comes to mind.

The worst promo-to-ring-debut transition I can think of in relatively recent memory was that Totally Not A Sub-Zero Knock-Off in WCW.

Not that the promos were all that good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DopeGhoti posted:

The worst promo-to-ring-debut transition I can think of in relatively recent memory was that Totally Not A Sub-Zero Knock-Off in WCW.

BLOOD

RUNS

COLD

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

There's some movie called Wrestlers vs Zombies that had Piper and Angle and a bunch of others in it, but I'm not sure if it ever got released.

this was definitely released and the director of the movie showed up when we watched it in synchtube to answer questions and have everybody rip on his bad movie

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DopeGhoti posted:

is that the massa movin ahs

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Would someone with an Observer sub tell me the snowflakes for Summerslam '94?

Watching this on the network now, and going from the awesome Bret and Owen cage match to this horrible Taker vs Taker match. Why they put this match on last I have no idea.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

tao of lmao posted:

Would someone with an Observer sub tell me the snowflakes for Summerslam '94?

Watching this on the network now, and going from the awesome Bret and Owen cage match to this horrible Taker vs Taker match. Why they put this match on last I have no idea.

http://www.profightdb.com/cards/wwf/summerslam-3994-36.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

tao of lmao posted:

this horrible Taker vs Taker match

take it back