Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

also if anyone who isnt toops could tell me about how the feature i asked about will definitely be in game that would satisfy me too

e- deleted the cat pic because it wasnt scaled for 4k

Happy Sisyphus fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chalks posted:

It's when they get really upset about people doubting the project, then tell them to think about it rationally without emotion that really makes me smile.

Clearly this guy has an accurate idea of the progress of a project that we've seen literally zero in gameplay footage of from all his rational thoughts about the subject that have nothing to do with being emotionally over invested and believing what he wants to believe.

Where's the gameplay, CIG? Less than 9 months till your projected release date.... not even a 5 minute clip of what we're going to be doing in this video game.

Morrow tour is 12 minutes long

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Yup. Contrary to popular belief, gas giants have solid cores.

You mean under all the liquid hydrogen?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

loving :five:!!!!!!

Toops, this thread doesn't deserve you.

No way man, I'm just a part of the Solar Plebeian goon team :)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Happy Sisyphus posted:

also if anyone who isnt toops could tell me about how the feature i asked about will definitely be in game that would satisfy me too

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

grimcreaper posted:

Thats looking pretty good! If you put it on Steam Greenlight you could probably outsell Line of Defense at this point.

:iceburn:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/712028002247426048

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Daztek posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/323094/once-the-game-launches-will-people-want-toilets-removed

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON SHOWERING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

NPC Daily Routines CONFIRMED

This thread is pretty good

This is just astonishing. I have read some crap because 'dreams' but this floored me. (and scared me) where are they pulling this poo poo from?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

There's just so much wrong about "landing" on gas giants I suggest we all drop it :sigh:

It makes about as much sense as walking on the surface of the sun.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rhubarb94 posted:

3 fifteen minute missions and a whole shitload of unskippable cut-scenes where you have to flirt with "Pusher" or fail and start over.

Not cutscenes, quick time events. You have to press X in between Pusher's blinks. Early playtesting indicates the game will be impossible.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

As a fat bastard with health problems and no idea how to make videogames, I'm prepared to be the charismatic Director of Community Engagement and Content Strategy for Solar Plebian. I'm going to see if there's a religious icon I can wear all the time from Space: Above and Beyond.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Gradis posted:

This is just astonishing. I have read some crap because 'dreams' but this floored me. (and scared me) where are they pulling this poo poo from?

Anal cavity. Where else?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
A Star Citizen made an earnest attempt to update one of those infamous charts

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Gravity_Storm posted:

It's really good - like a super version of Evochron Mercenary which I also loved and sank a lot of time into. The dev releases improvement patches on a daily basis and actually cares about making a decent game.

I like mining in Evochron and combined with making and selling stuff it's a great earner.

I play it on my laptop when I don't have a net connection (when online I play Elite as I love exploring).

ah heck I knew it looked good. I love mining in Elite and it looks like Evochron Legacy has a similar system.

I've been watching steamgifts like a hawk lately to see if it pops up though it's sort of so niche I doubt it...

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Does that still affect Warlocks who took The Great Old One as their otherworldy patron and are using Awakened Mind to interact with the NPC, since it's telepathy?

Well my warlock was afraid of bathing and routinely burrowed into piles of dismembered corpses in search of loot, so telepathy was really the only only way to interact with other people.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

grimcreaper posted:

Thats looking pretty good! If you put it on Steam Greenlight you could probably outsell Line of Defense at this point.

Thanks man!

At this point I'm mainly working towards "finding the fun" and adding/tweaking systems that I think will be cool. Basically the idea is Rocket League meets Twisted Metal in space. The real test will be implementing multiplayer and watching goons ram into each other. I estimate that task will be the most difficult one I'll have to tackle, and it's rapidly approaching.

As for Steam and/or distribution, once I can assert with data and player feedback that the game has legs, I'll start moving on the business-y side of the plan, which sounds loving tedious and awful.

As for Derek, he's made and released games basically on his own, and doesn't have to work a soulcrushing day job, so I look at his life with envy :)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Daztek posted:

In the PCGamer Weekender thing someone asked how many hours the campaign would be and they said they were still figuring that out, something about balancing the difficulty of the space battles, but it'll be long! Not 6 hours!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNuC1CGVv44&t=2244s

Balancing the difficulty of space battles equates to length of game? Erm... the only way I can imagine something being more difficult if it takes longer is if the difficulty is the fight against boredom.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Finally found it… drat internet keeps changing addresses and stuff. What's the point of browser bookmarks even?!

Tokamak posted:

yospos answer - The C Programming Language by K&R

I raise you SICP.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Yup. Contrary to popular belief, gas giants have solid cores.

Not one you'd want to land on.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

darkarchon posted:

When is your deadline for ending doubleshitposting

2 weeks

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

LOL!! "closed for rule 9"

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

There's just so much wrong about "landing" on gas giants I suggest we all drop it :sigh:

Now you've mentioned it...
*Some* hard sci-fi novel i read once had a scene where characters were quite literally walking on the surface of the sun.

The trick being it wasn't quite a sun anymore, but neutronium with a thin coating of diamond on top.
And it developed sentience.
And learned other tricks.

Was it something by Alastair Reynolds maybe?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Please accept this offering of my girlfriend's catte.

The intensity of his gaze triples every second.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/323022/we-got-research-in-sc-but-what-about-bio-hazards-suits-and-bio-scanners

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6482971/#Comment_6482971

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

T-Minus posted:

Anyway, I came here to read this 'anti-SC thread' and learn some things. BUT THE THREAD IS 2500 PAGES LONG YOU ASSHOLES.

Welcome. First, everyone in the SA forums has made an obscene money off of Star Citizen, no one was ripped off just ask them! Second, 2500 pages? That's just this iteration of the thread and it's still shorter than the list of promises broken and features undelivered in Star Citizen the game alpha

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

orcinus posted:

*Some* hard sci-fi novel i read once had a scene where characters were quite literally walking on the surface of the sun.

The trick being it wasn't quite a sun anymore, but neutronium with a thin coating of diamond on top.

:sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

Carl Sagan turns in his grave

The surface of our sun is a much, much more hospitable place than any neutron star. Those things are 1-3 solar masses in a radius of about 10 kilometer, radiating stuff that will liquefy you long before you even were able to see it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Darkpriest667 posted:

Welcome. First, everyone in the SA forums has made an obscene money off of Star Citizen, no one was ripped off just ask them! Second, 2500 pages? That's just this iteration of the thread and it's still shorter than the list of promises broken and features undelivered in Star Citizen the game alpha

I bought my summer home in the Swiss alps from Scythe reselling.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Yeah, it's themed.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

orcinus posted:

Sundiver (first book of the uplift series) had the characters diving into the sun in a special spaceship. It had something to do with sentient life in the sun's chromosphere. Not exacly walking, more like (almost) dying horribly.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lol if anyone still thinks that's a mural and not a wall wrap.

Skellybones posted:

Well my warlock was afraid of bathing and routinely burrowed into piles of dismembered corpses in search of loot, so telepathy was really the only only way to interact with other people.

We had a monk who did basically the same thing, except minus the telepathy. The group made here the party's spokeswoman :doh:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hey, for being big balls of magnetically (not entirely) contained plasma, G-stars have a surprisingly well-defined surface, if I remember correctly.

The surface of our sun is a much, much more hospitable place than any neutron star. Those things are 1-3 solar masses in a radius of about 10 kilometer, radiating stuff that will liquefy you long before you even were able to see it

Speaking of…

…neutron stars in E:D are really scary. It's just a tiny dot with some lensing around it, and there's just no way of judging how close you are to suddenly have your ship boil and explode. At least with black holes, the lensing is strong enough to give you a sense of movement, but that tiny, single, neutron-star dot is just so disconcerting. :cthulhu:

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 21, 2016

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Solvency posted:

Yeah, it's themed.

Windows 7 Turquoise Theme

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Nah nah nah nope nope no no no no nooooooooooooo nuh-uh NO! HE IS NOT SERIOUS! He can't be! Noone would be that stupid, NOONE

:cripes:

At least that's how I see it

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

D_Smart posted:

LOL!! "closed for rule 9"

Is rule 9 don't correct the really obvious lies ?.

Next they'll be telling people the flight model isn't totally hosed.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

You're missing huge chunks of information there.
The star, which was not a star anymore, straight up digitalized the characters, and ran them as a simulation on its own surface.

Not in the sense of human-shaped lumps walking over the surface.
But in the sense of them being encoded, and running as a real-time sim on the surface substrate.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Derek's Battlecruisers just laugh about liquid hydrogen. And incomprehensibly high atmospheric pressure. And metallic hydrogen. They're tough. They're magic. They're Battlecruisers

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Haha, what's rule 9. I can't even find out what their forum rules are.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6485843/#Comment_6485843

Poor Captain B'Tak

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Rhubarb94 posted:

Is rule 9 don't correct the really obvious lies ?.

Next they'll be telling people the flight model isn't totally hosed.

Ah the classic: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/142233/flight-model-is-implemented-so-well-it-s-perceived-as-bad/p1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Lots of "science fiction" stuff seem to conform to the middle age notion that the universe is made for man and that the stuff up there should be friendly and nice to us. In reality we've not found a single place outside of the Earth's troposphere that would tolerate human existence for more than seconds. If you wanna go "hard" scifi you do things like generation ships and excavated asteroids. If alien species met they would probably not have anything like the same level of technology to enable long wars of attrition

It's fine to do science fantasy stuff, really. But you have to have some internal logic to make it remotely believable - when you have things like hyperspace flight and artificial gravity you have to sacrifice the sweaty spacemen lugging steel beams and refueling their ships manually. You don't get to have both at the same time.

I'd think the Citizens would be all about this with their talk of immersion and w/e but that poo poo goes way overboard whenever Chris googles "cool sciense fiction conceps". As an actual autist that stuff's exhausting to me

• Locked thread