Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also, you should download a mod to make the portraits more anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Terper posted:

Also, you should download a mod to make the portraits more anime.

There won't be enough anime until someone mods all my RF3 wives in

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
harvest moon 64 is one of my favorite harvest moon games so i'm okay with every townsperson secretly having horrible depression, but only if i can help them overcome their issues with the power of giving free grapes to the bartender every night (except sundays)

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I played HM:BTN when I was a kid

Then I saw Stardew Valley, which is:

a) a good Harvest Moon game
b) on PC
c) not anime as gently caress

This explains its popularity, hth

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

mrpwase posted:

b) on PC

i'm sorry anime as gently caress killed your family

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's kinda funny that they managed to beat Natsume to market and completely suck all the oxygen out of the PC J-farming market for them and probably everyone else.

Oh Natsume had no chance to make something of value to compete on HM's old quality now or before Stardew, but Marvelous/XSEED could make some good ports and there's room enough for more HM likes. Or a miracle could happen and Natsume gets its head out of its rear end, goes crawling back and pays Marvelous/XSEED to port Tides of Destiny to PC seeing as PS3 games have had a good run on steam.

I'm just glad Natsume doesn't have the money to pull a Bandai with Stardew and bully them for money/semi ownership.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

mrpwase posted:

b) on PC

Stardew Valley is about as anime as most Harvest Moon games.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Lampsacus posted:

Does SV blowing up annoy anybody else? In a total 'you guys are just getting excited over HM mechanics that have been around since-' way?

In other news, RF was on special on my 3DS estore. Not sure if that was just NZ though.

It bothers me a little that it blew up because a) I had planned on streaming it thinking it wasn't going to be the hot meme game of the month and b) "IT LOOKS LIKE MINECRAFT/TERRARIA". No it loving doesn't you lovely child; it looks like harvest moon.

dmboogie posted:

Stardew Valley also doesn't timegate anything, though.

Not ENTIRELY true. There are one or two crops that don't pop up until season 2, but you can technically get them earlier with the mixed seed bags. And that's one crop opposed 70% of the game content .

Crabtree posted:

Oh Natsume had no chance to make something of value to compete on HM's old quality now or before Stardew, but Marvelous/XSEED could make some good ports and there's room enough for more HM likes. Or a miracle could happen and Natsume gets its head out of its rear end, goes crawling back and pays Marvelous/XSEED to port Tides of Destiny to PC seeing as PS3 games have had a good run on steam.

I'm just glad Natsume doesn't have the money to pull a Bandai with Stardew and bully them for money/semi ownership.

Keep dreaming, tides of destiny was bad. The combat was boring and breakable, and the magic farm stick and being unable to choose what you plant downright annoying. There wasn't nearly enough golem stuff, and what there was was all very samey.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Stardew Valley is about as anime as most Harvest Moon games.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Gibbo posted:

Keep dreaming, tides of destiny was bad. The combat was boring and breakable, and the magic farm stick and being unable to choose what you plant downright annoying. There wasn't nearly enough golem stuff, and what there was was all very samey.

It was the second and last attempt at a big console Rune Factory game. It's probably the easiest to port between Frontier having to go through Nintendo and its not Rune Factory 4 nor 3. Of course it isn't the best thing since sliced bread. But it could be something to bring to the table if the stars aligned and Natsume swallows its pride to bring the real deal HM to Steam.

But all we can hope for is for Marvelous/XSEED to try to bring the new poo poo over and for no one at Natsume to try and hire Eric Barone as their personal dev sweat shop.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I like stardew valley quite a bit but there are some little things that feel weird/bad. Like a true harvest moon. The human sprites are p ugly imo and I'm not digging how almost everyone not so secretly hates their lives. The athletic dude's first world problems are actually pretty refreshing in contrast

Well, that's my take

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Crabtree posted:

It was the second and last attempt at a big console Rune Factory game. It's probably the easiest to port between Frontier having to go through Nintendo and its not Rune Factory 4 nor 3. Of course it isn't the best thing since sliced bread. But it could be something to bring to the table if the stars aligned and Natsume swallows its pride to bring the real deal HM to Steam.

But all we can hope for is for Marvelous/XSEED to try to bring the new poo poo over and for no one at Natsume to try and hire Eric Barone as their personal dev sweat shop.

But why would you want to port a game that basically signified the beginning of the end?

Tides of Destiny had less content than Frontier and a plethora of broken systems that were dumbed down because they thought the solution to farming was "Making it not like farming". So instead of attracting more people it just turned off those who wanted to play.

I'll take Runeys over the magic farm stick and forced animal gathering any day.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Looper posted:

I like stardew valley quite a bit but there are some little things that feel weird/bad. Like a true harvest moon. The human sprites are p ugly imo and I'm not digging how almost everyone not so secretly hates their lives. The athletic dude's first world problems are actually pretty refreshing in contrast

Well, that's my take

Yeah it definitely has its flaws, but in the way that every HM game has had them. I don't mind that the conversation can turn a little dark but it feels... not right for the genre to not be able to do anything about most of it. Like, what am I supposed to do with Jodi confessing to me she regrets getting married and having kids too young, or the Mayor hiding his relationship, etc. Some of these things have events that aaaalmost point toward things getting better but then they just don't, and they suck it up, much like real life, in a bad way. Like it's possibly nostalgia goggles but I remember HM64 handling a darker tone much better narratively.

these are complaints after having put like 80 hours into it though, it's still a very fun farming RPG.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I've been playing frontier recently with the max runeys cheat on, since that mechanic was what killed my previous attempt at the game.

It's still bad even with that, or at least it is having played later games with all the QoL improvements they made.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Playing the first rune factory, I'm in summer and just was told I have to wait until winter to access the next dungeon. That's really lovely. Do the future rune factory games enforce hard time gates like that?

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 21, 2016

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Rune factory 3 does not. Rune factory 4 also doesn't, but has event gating. Might want to just skip to 3 dude, 1 and 2 are not very good games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Linnaeus posted:

Might want to just skip to 3 dude, 1 and 2 are not very good games

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

If you don't play them all in order you'll miss out on a lot of context for the story.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

If you don't play them all in order you'll miss out on a lot of context for the story.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TurnipFritter posted:

idk about rune factory 4 but rune factory 3 is barely even connected to the story at all

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Crabtree posted:

Natsume's mobile game is fine (hideous but fine) and even if the PC port is 1:1 with the mobile version it still would have sold well pre-Stardew because the PC audience was clearly hungry for something, anything, but now they've got it they won't give it a second look. They might stand a chance if they completely redo all the art but even then...

The old games getting ported or not has less to do with pride and more to do with the fact that it's expensive, difficult (more so now that the original developers for most of the games have been scattered to the winds) and requires the cooperation with rights holders in Japan who don't necessarily care enough to let it happen.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
There was an overarching story beyond "there are 4 elemental dragons and also an evil empire "?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Perhaps that comment was not meant to be taken seriously.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

TurnipFritter posted:

It seemed a pretty reasonable opinion right next to the mind boggling "frontier was good and all rf after it was bad"

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Blhue posted:

There was an overarching story beyond "there are 4 elemental dragons and also an evil empire "?

"The Sainte-Coquilles are all insane" and "Margaret is probably Daria's sister"

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I want to play them in order because it's a part of gaming that I missed out on that, as someone who loved harvest moon 64 as a kid, I would have really enjoyed if I"d played them as they came out. I know if I skipped to 4 it would be the best one, but also I'd never be able to go back and play the others and appreciate them for what they were if I did that.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

LibbyM posted:

I want to play them in order because it's a part of gaming that I missed out on that, as someone who loved harvest moon 64 as a kid, I would have really enjoyed if I"d played them as they came out. I know if I skipped to 4 it would be the best one, but also I'd never be able to go back and play the others and appreciate them for what they were if I did that.

You should definitely play 3 before 4, but idk how much there is to appreciate in 1 and 2.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think 2 might do some weird experimenting with the mechanics, but rune factory 1 is just kind of boring and lovely

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Blhue posted:

It seemed a pretty reasonable opinion right next to the mind boggling "frontier was good and all rf after it was bad"

I never said all rf, just specifically tides of destiny. Unless there's another post I'm missing and you're not referring to me.

By beginning of the end I meant more for console hm/rf being dead.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

I've never even played RF and I got it too

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Oh wow on the 4th day of fall there was a hurricane that destroyed literally every single crop in my fully planted field. That's fun design. People were probably right about Rune Factory 1. I know old harvest moon's had hurricanes or whatever but I don't remember them being quite this brutal.

VV I must have not talked to mist the day before because the last time I talked to her she was still talking the usual "Here's the last story beat you did". Regardless, I have no clue what Wetter Water is, but I can't imagine it would have protected my crops from the entire land becoming stumps and weeds and rocks again.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 22, 2016

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

LibbyM posted:

Oh wow on the 4th day of fall there was a hurricane that destroyed literally every single crop in my fully planted field. That's fun design. People were probably right about Rune Factory 1.

Should have used the wetter water or whatever the hell it's called. Mint DID tell you it was coming.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

LibbyM posted:

Oh wow on the 4th day of fall there was a hurricane that destroyed literally every single crop in my fully planted field. That's fun design. People were probably right about Rune Factory 1. I know old harvest moon's had hurricanes or whatever but I don't remember them being quite this brutal.

Yeah, unfortunately most of us who are down on 1 also did not like it when it was brand new. I don't even remember 2

vv
The game was good aside from being broken though and those moldy old characters are beloved

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 22, 2016

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I liked RF1 a lot when it came out and even then I would have told you to play FoMT or Magical Melody instead

Also, to be fair, when RF1 came out in the US the last Harvest Moon we had gotten was DS, which was a broken game full of old characters.

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 22, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And full of numbers that go up. It's the only Harvest Moon where crop levels go up to 100 and the mines go down to 65 535. I used my sprite fishing glitched money to buy up a basement and grind out turnips to something like level 53.

I didn't have many games and it was pretty good game to have running while in university lectures. Also how I level grinded in Disgaea DS. :v:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Would Natsume even have to okay the PS3 Rune Factory? I thought Marvelous had all the rights on Rune Factory cause they published those themselves? I mean it would still be a bitch to port but I didn't think there'd be legal issues there. And that'd be great on PC if it was a half decent port.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Yeah it definitely has its flaws, but in the way that every HM game has had them. I don't mind that the conversation can turn a little dark but it feels... not right for the genre to not be able to do anything about most of it. Like, what am I supposed to do with Jodi confessing to me she regrets getting married and having kids too young, or the Mayor hiding his relationship, etc. Some of these things have events that aaaalmost point toward things getting better but then they just don't, and they suck it up, much like real life, in a bad way. Like it's possibly nostalgia goggles but I remember HM64 handling a darker tone much better narratively.

these are complaints after having put like 80 hours into it though, it's still a very fun farming RPG.

I agree though I think part of this might be fixed as the dev is planning on expanding on the townsfolk with free content patches ala Terraria.

Then again one of the things he's hinted at adding is letting you play homewrecker and romance Robin so it might not actually lighten the tone... Though it will be kinda cool to finally be able to romance the bachelor/ette's much more appealing parent. I've lost track of how many times I've wanted one of the parents in Harvest Moon games.

Romancing Shane and giving him at least something beyond alcoholism, deadend Walmart labour (or unemployment and MORE alcoholism) and depression is confirmed as something he's adding though. So that's cool. Linus is also apparently being looked at.... which I am morbidly curious about.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 26, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

This stupid plant in the lava dungeon of RF4 is kicking my rear end. I guess it's because I don't have party members, but it still feels bad.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
How to destroy Rune Factory 4's difficult:

ride a monster and kill everything

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

A Sometimes Food posted:

Would Natsume even have to okay the PS3 Rune Factory? I thought Marvelous had all the rights on Rune Factory cause they published those themselves? I mean it would still be a bitch to port but I didn't think there'd be legal issues there. And that'd be great on PC if it was a half decent port.

Nope, I'm pretty sure only the first RF was localized by Natsume. Most/all the rest were Xseed.

Edit: actually yeah, for some reason Tides was localized by Natsume. weird.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
natsume did publish tides of destiny and rune factory 2, but marvelous should have the rights to rune factory 3, 4 and frontier, yeah

you can tell rune factory 3 was xseed because it has the best localization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

okkibun
Apr 5, 2011

The Colonel posted:

natsume did publish tides of destiny and rune factory 2, but marvelous should have the rights to rune factory 3, 4 and frontier, yeah

you can tell rune factory 3 was xseed because it has the best localization

Natsume published Rune Factory 3 too.

• Locked thread