Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That theme is so persistent in Dany's plot you kinda have to assume it's part of the message GRRM is trying to convey with her character, there is very little Dany has personally done or came up with that led to her success and stature. It's mostly the universe\karma\magic\dragons out of nowhere or secret instructions imparted upon her through visions and telepathy. Her crowning personal achievement was basically to gently caress Drogo when she's on top, everything else was either a coincidence or someone else doing the heavy lifting.

The way/scene that she acquired the Unsullied in was pretty great. Maybe she cashed in all her badass at once though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Armyman25 posted:

Why are people using spoiler tags in the spoiler thread?

I don't care one way or the other, but for the first five years, the "spoiler" thread was really the "I read the books" thread, so we could discuss stuff in the context of the whole series. This is the first time that there are actual spoilers that bookreaders aren't going to know about in advance, so using spoiler tags is just being considerate to the bookreaders here who may not want to know about the new season, which might be getting into unexplored territory.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

counterfeitsaint posted:

The way/scene that she acquired the Unsullied in was pretty great. Maybe she cashed in all her badass at once though.

Dany pulled some really clever maneuvers after that as well. Getting that one free company super drunk and then attacking them right after was pretty clutch.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I also like how she dealt with the emissary at yunkai or wherever that offered her gold and ships to leave.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Is there even a point to having two separate threads anymore? Even if there are bits from AFFC and ADWD included in this season, there really aren't any huge spoilers left now that Jon is "dead". Maybe Varys killing Pycelle and Kevan but who even knows if that will still happen.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Holy crap I stumbled on this thread by accident again and saw those spoilers about the upside down X.

Ive never been more excited for a season since the Mountain vs Viper

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Armyman25 posted:

I included them in my post out of courtesy? It felt like one thing to spoil a single plot detail, or post the link to the doc, but that was a summary of every plotline this season.

I think that, unless TWOW is published between this season and the next, the spoiler/nonspoiled threads will naturally evolve into show-spoiled/nonspoiled. But right now, that's still ambiguous.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

King of Foolians posted:

What is the deal with actors playing roles that they know nothing about? I totally get it's not reasonable to expect the actor to read all ASOIAF the books to get the subtle nuances of the part they are playing, but apparently all Stephen Dillane was told about Stannis (after he went out of his way to ask), was that he was a man who "had won some battles".?

Some of the actors read the books but the creators of the show advised them not to as many characters are wildly different from the books so it could interfere with their peformance. For example Barristan's actor had read the books so he was annoyed to find out he was going to be killed off early in the season without getting to do his POV chapters. I agree that I don't see why they didn't just write a short paragraph explaining the important stuff but maybe they thought making the actor confused and annoyed would help him play Stannis.

It's just a job.

King of Foolians posted:

How hard would it have been to hire a nerd sperglord to come on set for one day and just sit down with the actors and explain the characters in-depth, especially for the actors that will be expected to play these characters for several years?

"My name is Stephen Dillane and I play "Stannis Baratheon" the Lord of Dragonstone but I'm actually Rhaegar Targaryen under a glamour."

This almost happened. From the first mountain's website:

It's a shame that we missed out on Gregor trying to eat the Hound's brains.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Bryan Cogman is a nerd sperglord who was hired partly due to his ocd like knowledge of ASOIAF, d&d are also intimately familiar with the source material.

If the actors are not coached on their roles it's not due to the absence of nerds.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

meristem posted:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13m92zm2jETuKlKNj7KVMFtO-Bmwj2HQR7N6y_wBoRWM

Summary:
- it will mostly a 'dealing with outstanding stuff' season:
-- it will close multiple hanging arcs and locations. Braavos, Meereen, the Dothraki and the Boltons, among possible others.
-- it will also introduce some outstanding AFFC/ADWD material: Euron and the Kingsmoot (Victarion is out, though), Jaime at Riverrun, a combined Septon Meribald-Elder Brother figure.
-- it will also deal with the past, via Bran's visions. In particular, Tower of Joy for certain and presumably RLJ in its entirety are included.

- plot details:
-- Jon has an arc where he convinces the Wildings to fight against the Boltons. This will culminate in E9, in a battle with, at the minimum, the Boltons, the Umbers, the Karstarks, the Mormonts, the Hornwoods, the Wildings, with the Vale forces led by Littlefinger coming up late; Ramsay will lead the Bolton forces;
-- Sansa stays in the North. According to Liam Cunningham, 'she has an amazing arc this year'. She will also in some manner participate in the Snowbowl;
-- there is a CGI-heavy scene in E10 filmed at Castle Black; speculation is, the Wall may be falling this season or the White Walker forces may be amassing there;
-- Theon returns to the Iron Islands; no idea how this relates to the Kingsmoot and especially what happens later;
-- Brienne returns to the Riverlands. Speculation is, it's she who meets Ian McShane's Septon Meribald-Elder Brother. She definitely has a scene with Jaime at Riverrun at the end of the season, though;
-- Jaime at some point has a scene where he releases Margaery from Faith prison, and then leaves King's Landing for the Riverlands;
-- Cersei, who the gently caress knows, except that, per the trailer, she 'chooses violence';
-- Sam at some point gets to Oldtown and at some point meets his family in Horn Hill;
-- Arya has an arc where she's 'broken', 'at her lowest' (speculation is, she's about to join the Faceless Men). She witnesses the Stark play from the Mercy chapter at some point. At some point, she leaves back for the Riverlands;
-- Tyrion has to deal with Meereen. This includes a widespread famine, the Harpies and the ascendant Red God faith. Yunkai makes a play - Yezzan has a scene with whatever that Yunkish from Season 3 was called. Varys leaves midseason;
-- Dany gets captured, is led to Vaes Dothrak. At some point, she has a 'very special' scene with the women there. At the end of the season, she meets Tyrion again;
-- Bran will have the aforementioned visions. No idea if anything else happens for him;
-- Dorne is in the season, but not much is known about it.

That's more or less it, I think.

Thanks for the update!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

colonel_korn posted:

Is there even a point to having two separate threads anymore? Even if there are bits from AFFC and ADWD included in this season, there really aren't any huge spoilers left now that Jon is "dead". Maybe Varys killing Pycelle and Kevan but who even knows if that will still happen.

Maybe the hardcore book readers will try to make their own unsullied spoiler free thread. They're probably not that naive, but god I hope so.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
drat, these history and lore videos are great. I appreciate that Martin was trying to keep the realism going and it wouldn't be realistic to have characters tell stories everyone already knows, but it's nice to just see how it goes First Men -> Andals -> Valyrians. Or even something as simple as what the Battle of the Bells was.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Don't forget the Rhoynar. That makes four migrant waves, with some saying Dany will lead the Fifth Great Migration. Actually, it'd be the Sixth, if the settling of the free folk and new houses like the Karhold Thenns stick.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

counterfeitsaint posted:

Maybe the hardcore book readers will try to make their own unsullied spoiler free thread. They're probably not that naive, but god I hope so.

The hardcore book readers gave up a long time ago and will probably be watching the show.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Guest posted:

Alternatively they filmed a rape scene unintentionally so this could all be completely unintentional

Burning flayed man spoilers

Ramsay Bolton will be displaying at least two bodies upside down on X-crosses, burning during battle. They are known characters.

Looks like I typed a bunch o' dumb poo poo.

It's going to be Podrick Payne and the other will be Podrick's dick..

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Armyman25 posted:

Probably Ramsay will display Roose and Fat Walda before the Wildling/Bolton battle to show that he's in charge now.

I hope not. Ramsay is too stupid to outwit Roose, although 20 good men show Ramsay is the chosen one and will probably pull some bullshit

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I just finished watching this breakdown of the trailer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lHTcr3bM59o

The author also believes that Roose and Walda are the ones being burned. I'm in general agreement with most other points, so I can kinda see that happening.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If I were on the opposing army and saw that Ramsey had flayed Roose I wouldn't be intimidated, I'd be relieved that the finest military commander in the North is now dead and his retard son is now leading his army.

How is this supposed to go over exactly?

Ramsey "hehe now you see how vicious I am now that I'm in charge!"

Jon Targaryan: "ok, why should I care?"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If I were on the opposing army and saw that Ramsey had flayed Roose I wouldn't be intimidated, I'd be relieved that the finest military commander in the North is now leading his army.

FTFY

Ramsay Bolton and his Good Men are our only real hope against the White Walkers.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Frosted Flake posted:

The author also believes that Roose and Walda are the ones being burned. I'm in general agreement with most other points, so I can kinda see that happening.

I like her little gotcha about the burning man being Davos. It was meant to be clever, but it got me thinking that they might still salvage Davos' story from Dance: Davos goes to see Shireen's pyre, gets captured by one of the Bolton's bannermen (a Manderley), and they use Davos to go find Rickon. Similar to the book, they kill a look-alike and that's what ends up on the Bolton cross in the preview.

Probably not, but if they're aiming for any sort of similarity with one of the cooler parts of Dance, it wouldn't be bad to go with.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If I were on the opposing army and saw that Ramsey had flayed Roose I wouldn't be intimidated, I'd be relieved that the finest military commander in the North is now dead and his retard son is now leading his army.

How is this supposed to go over exactly?

Ramsey "hehe now you see how vicious I am now that I'm in charge!"

Jon Targaryan: "ok, why should I care?"

What makes Roose Bolton the finest military commander in the North? He's good at sending the men of other Lords on suicide missions so he weakens them while retaining his own power, but that's almost more political scheming than it is military tactics or strategy. I mean, it's clever, but to be the finest military commander in the North I think you need more on your resume than "good at losing battles on purpose".

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Frosted Flake posted:

That was a really great video, she makes some awesome points. I always enjoy when predictors use real world knowledge like "started following each other on Twitter" and just basic loving knowledge on how television is produced.

Wild speculation about ASOIAF is fantastic, but GOT has a budget and filming limitations.

Definitely bought her analysis on Yara replacing Victarion and heading to Essos. It's an interesting idea if that's what the show goes with.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Frosted Flake posted:

I tried to watch this despite it being an hour long but I had to turn it off after 5 minutes at the most because I couldn't stand her voice or how condescending she sounded. I'm also not a book reader but why would Ramsey burn his father? Like, if someone burnt your land's leader/lord that you swore fealty to wouldn't you I dunno be like what the gently caress gently caress this guy?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Boris Galerkin posted:

I tried to watch this despite it being an hour long but I had to turn it off after 5 minutes at the most because I couldn't stand her voice or how condescending she sounded. I'm also not a book reader but why would Ramsey burn his father? Like, if someone burnt your land's leader/lord that you swore fealty to wouldn't you I dunno be like what the gently caress gently caress this guy?

The writers treat Ramsay like a god and reality kind of bends around him, a lot of it doesn't make sense. I don't think it's Roose but after last season I have to consider Ramsay publicly torturing his dad/lord and not being immediately killed a thing that could actually happen.

Do we know it's the Boltons doing it? When Jon comes back he might be a more ruthless character like Stoneheart and willing to flay then burn Roose after the battle, since he killed his brother. Targaryens and the Red Priests burn their enemies so that could also be a change in his character, flaying him first for irony. Maybe so he doesn't come back as a wight. One cross for Roose and one for Ramsay.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 23, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

The writers treat Ramsay like a god and reality kind of bends around him, a lot of it doesn't make sense. I don't think it's Roose but after last season I have to consider Ramsay publicly torturing his dad/lord and not being immediately killed a thing that could actually happen.

Do we know it's the Boltons doing it? When Jon comes back he might be a more ruthless character like Stoneheart and willing to flay then burn Roose after the battle, since he killed his brother. Targaryens and the Red Priests burn their enemies so that could also be a change in his character, flaying him first for irony. Maybe so he doesn't come back as a wight.

Its almost certainly the Boltons that are flaying and burning people. Snowbowl is going to end with Ramsay standing over a once-again-dead Jon Snow and he'll become the hero against the Others we deserve.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any particular reason why we aren't assuming it's theon burning? Missing fingers, we know he runs into Bolton men again, seems legit to me

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Is there any particular reason why we aren't assuming it's theon burning? Missing fingers, we know he runs into Bolton men again, seems legit to me

Thought he was gonna be at the King's Moop. Would be pretty hilarious if he went, reclaimed his identity fully, and then marched off to get captured by Ramsay again. It's like poetry. Everything rhymes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Having Ramsay turn on Roose is not exactly crazy, and there are reasons to suspect it might happen in the books. We know that Ramsay is reckless, and grasps at any chance of advancement he gets no matter how unwise (such as his move to take Hornwood). Ramsay killed his half-brother, Domeric, and Roose expects him to kill any children Walda has to prevent a rival claim. So it seems completely believable that Ramsay will get frustrated waiting for Roose to die and give him his due and take some steps to speed things along.

As for the 'gently caress this guy' thing, well, kind of. House Bolton is a messed up house, and it's vassals follow it out of fear as much as anything else. Flaying is a house tradition, and Roose is pretty hosed up, he is just more discrete than Ramsay is about it. If Ramsay is opportunistic and finds an excuse for it (accuse Roose of planning to betray the crown, I dunno) the vassals might hesitate to move against him immediately. Feudally speaking, overthrowing your lord is a serious thing that people don't do lightly - it's not just about 'do I like this guy', its the basis for feudal society. You can see this with how people handle similar situations. Like Roose straight up betrayed the Starks, but people will still accept him as the Warden and the ones who move against him do so very carefully.

Surprise Twist answer: The burning body is actually Ramsay, but the immortal skinchanger that leads House Bolton is planning to flay him and take his skin and identity to continue its rule.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Some men just want to watch the Roose burn.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I still can't believe they thought it was a good idea to play the "I just need 20 good men" plan straight and have it succeed. The entire food supply, literal tonnes of food, for a thousands strong army. Covered and guarded and while it was snowing. No one saw them, they destroyed the food with fire.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

No leeches - not roose

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Cirofren posted:

I still can't believe they thought it was a good idea to play the "I just need 20 good men" plan straight and have it succeed. The entire food supply, literal tonnes of food, for a thousands strong army. Covered and guarded and while it was snowing. No one saw them, they destroyed the food with fire.

It was such bullshit that even the characters pointed out how ridiculous it was.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

In It For The Tank posted:

It was such bullshit that even the characters pointed out how ridiculous it was.

Stannis didn't even capture one good man for interrogation. Ramsay won in every way possible.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe Roose dies trying to defend Walda? It would be a nice redemption for the rotten gently caress to sacrifice himself for his wife and unborn kid. If I remeber right, book Roose quite likes book Walda.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Ashcans posted:

Surprise Twist answer: The burning body is actually Ramsay, but the immortal skinchanger that leads House Bolton is planning to flay him and take his skin and identity to continue its rule.

This is some serious straw grasping, but would be hilarious if they went this way.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Cirofren posted:

The part that gets me is the Golden Company is supposed to be a bunch of professional mercenaries. None of them thought to bring winter coats when they were landing North of the Wall and heading south?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Armyman25 posted:

The part that gets me is the Golden Company is supposed to be a bunch of professional mercenaries. None of them thought to bring winter coats when they were landing North of the Wall and heading south?

lovely planning is a thing IRL that has doomed or damaged many a campaign. Napoleon forgot his jacket on the way to Russia, as did Hitler; American soldiers were freezing in Bastone, in Korea or at Valley Forge. Even Hannibal forgot to plan for the cold of the Alps. Reductionistic examples, perhaps, but those were (mostly) professional armies that suffered moderate to severe cold weather attrition and mercenaries were even more of a logistical poo poo show, often living off of what they could steal. Coming from Essos, would they even own clothing appropriate for the north?

E: and yes, I know the revolutionary army and Hannibal were not true professional armies but whatever it sounds good.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 24, 2016

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think we might get to see through Melisandre's glamour in the first episode. A couple little teaser articles I read today said there's something cool and interesting for Melisandre in the first episode that ISN'T the thing everyone thinks is going to happen (Jon's resurrection).

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yudo posted:

lovely planning is a thing IRL that has doomed or damaged many

New thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kater posted:

New thread title?

Eh, my vote is still for "It's just tits and dragons"