Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I admit I haven't finished Undertale yet (I made it to the caves, and I'm going to try and play it some more this week), but can't you outright flee most random encounters right away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think there is a chance of failure, but yeah its pretty easy to just run away from enemies.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

JazzFlight posted:

The game's about 8-10 hours long if you play once on pacifist/true ending route. I wasn't ever really annoyed by the random encounters. Great game even if the fandom may be annoying. That shouldn't be a reason to hate the original source. If anything, it still leads to the creation of a lot of great fan-art and music remixes.

What is about the famdom? never heard of this game before;

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

What is about the famdom? never heard of this game before;
they like something unironically, which is extremely illegal on the internet of today.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I felt like the whole Portal cake thing was inescapable, but haven't heard heck about Undertale's fandom. But the universe Portal grew up in still had Google Reader and back then I read the internet. I don't do the Twitter so it's probably on there.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Max Wilco posted:

I admit I haven't finished Undertale yet (I made it to the caves, and I'm going to try and play it some more this week), but can't you outright flee most random encounters right away?

This is getting offtopic but that's not the reason why people complain about random encounters. Even if you can run from every Zubat the annoying part is being stopped to enter the battle screen for each Zubat.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I can't think of a way undertale would work without random encounters, other than just facing every enemy once before they're gone for good. But it's an earthbound homage so that doesn't make much sense.

Tldr the battles are easy and fun and running away takes two whole seconds

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mycot posted:

This is getting offtopic but that's not the reason why people complain about random encounters. Even if you can run from every Zubat the annoying part is being stopped to enter the battle screen for each Zubat.

It's more that Mt. Moon is a real maze than anything. Getting stopped every dozen or so steps to fight fucks with your mental mapping after a while.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Day of the Tentacle: Remastered is now up for pre-order!

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

they like something unironically, which is extremely illegal on the internet of today.

well they are creepy too sometimes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hooray! Unfortunately I got a bit soured on the game after replaying it recently, so I'll probably not grab a copy this time around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

They included Maniac Mansion :allears:.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They included Maniac Mansion :allears:.

It's apparently the in-DOTT version, not a separate executable.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Hooray! Unfortunately I got a bit soured on the game after replaying it recently, so I'll probably not grab a copy this time around.

Can I ask why? I've never played DoTT, but a lot of people describe it as one of the best adventure games ever made.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Max Wilco posted:

Can I ask why? I've never played DoTT, but a lot of people describe it as one of the best adventure games ever made.

It is. Don't listen to this person. Buy the game.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

day of the tentacle is good

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition has been added. $49.79, DRM-free but it seems like you can only play multiplayer with other Galaxy users.

https://www.gog.com/game/dying_light_the_following_enhanced_edition

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

FYI they're doing the flash sale thing again (no Jack Keane 2 so far).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Buy ten copies of Jack Keane 2 any game on sale, get a 11th game for free (it's probably another copy of Jack Keane 2).

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

These sales suck.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

With a lot of Gog games showing up on steam and vice versa, with steam having generally better sales and adopting Gog's bundle system, the only purpose of Gog in 2016 is to provide pirates with DRM free copies.

And regular people who pay money as well, but I would assume the number who buy on Gog vs Steam is a few thousand times lower. Stardew Valley's torrent probably has a few times higher downloads than Gog's legit copies.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
GOG have infinitely better support for older games than Steam.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah, if it's a game from before Steam was around (say, maybe mid-2000s), then I'd definitely get it through GOG. I feel a lot of older games are just tossed up onto Steam without any fixes for modern systems. Then you have to deal with the layer of DRM (Steam) on top of that if you want to mod it out. It's just more of a headache, I feel.

As for games that are just coming out... I'd say go Steam all the way. The update schedule and reliability on GOG is annoying compared to Steam's easy patching and developer support.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Lemon-Lime posted:

Plus, some of us want to support a non-monolith who doesn't hide their games behind a clunky, utterly mandatory DRM scheme that constantly smacks you across the face with more marketing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, GoG is for "Good old games". Its just a shame they stopped putting out a lot of old games. Especially since there are a few they haven't I'd buy in a heartbeat. Oh well.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, GoG is for "Good old games". Its just a shame they stopped putting out a lot of old games. Especially since there are a few they haven't I'd buy in a heartbeat. Oh well.

You have a point. I wonder if they simply ran out games that they could get, or if they decided to move in another direction for profitability reasons.

They have performed some absolute miracles, no doubt, but the slow of genuine gogs has really slowed down.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

There are so many old PC games that aren't on the site, though... I can't imagine they're all locked up in rights disputes, right?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Well, I played it as a kid and enjoyed it, but something about going back to it has soured me on it for some reason. It might be the puzzles that just stumped me so very absolutely, or having to backtrack so much through so many screens to reach a certain thing, or maybe the humor just isn't as awesome as I remember it being (unlike say, Monkey Island or Sam and Max). It isn't a bad game by any stretch of the imagination and I absolutely love a lot of the ideas it makes work for itself, but if I had to pick an old adventure game that wasn't on general sale, I'm not sure this would be it for me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

Plus, some of us want to support a non-monolith who doesn't hide their games behind a clunky, utterly mandatory DRM scheme that constantly smacks you across the face with more marketing.
I mean i get marketing emails from GOG all the time, so

JazzFlight posted:

There are so many old PC games that aren't on the site, though... I can't imagine they're all locked up in rights disputes, right?
that's where archive.org steps in with their fancy DMCA exemption

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean i get marketing emails from GOG all the time, so

that's where archive.org steps in with their fancy DMCA exemption

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games

I don't know what it is, but I can't ever get those games to work properly. Is there a browser that's especially suited to running those?

Edit: vvv I mostly use Firefox, but I never once got them working aside from some of the simpler games. And always horribly slow.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 21, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Firefox ran JSMESS the best from when I tried them. Chrome seemed to have all sorts of audio problems.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Really wished they'd make it possible to click the games that show up for these sales and be taken to that game's page, rather than just adding it to your cart.

Has there been any noteworthy games? Some of them look alright to me, I've seen both 66 and 80% off I think.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mortimer posted:

With a lot of Gog games showing up on steam and vice versa, with steam having generally better sales and adopting Gog's bundle system, the only purpose of Gog in 2016 is to provide pirates with DRM free copies.

And regular people who pay money as well, but I would assume the number who buy on Gog vs Steam is a few thousand times lower. Stardew Valley's torrent probably has a few times higher downloads than Gog's legit copies.

I really wonder how profitable, or how useful, GOG is for CD Projekt and developers of current or indie games. For rights holders--that is, stuffy dudes in offices who had no hand in ever developing any of the old games that GOG has given a unique platform for--I doubt GOG is more than the only cow they can milk for certain edge properties, or as a more-than-willing test bed for games they later find out sell more on Steam.

In other words, GOG came on the scene knowing it was going to cater to a fringe market, not unseat Steam. How's it going for them and the markets they serve? Is that same charter working for them? Are the benefits still satisfying for all players, when it seems like the Steam store eats everyone's lunch?

I'm definitely one of the "regular people who pay money," though. I like 'em and what they do, and though I'm far from a Steam hater, I'll avoid using it or any similar platform if I can. But I'm pretty much a dinosaur. Most folks just wanna steal a game or get it for cheap on the Steam platform. (But these are tendencies that also affect more than just what sells on GOG, they could be affecting the industry as a whole.)

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 21, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I really hate these sales. They're predicated on people not already owning the games, and they're gonna be largely the same ones from the last insomnia sale. Have they not understood the concept of diminishing returns?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Really wished they'd make it possible to click the games that show up for these sales and be taken to that game's page, rather than just adding it to your cart.

Just a speculation, but they might be doing this to avoid situations where you click on a game, get taken to the game's page, and the copy you wanted was bought by someone else and you're SOL.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think gog takes the same cut from the developer as Steam so I'd be surprised if it is useful for indies. For a dev the only benefit is vaguely supporting a Steam alternative though it doesn't benefit you in any way and the downside is you make piracy much much simpler. Players seem to get way more bent out of shape about splitting their library between services than are bothered by DRM.

Mind you gog is doing God's Work for old games I mean just in regards to current indie games.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My impression is that GOG profits aren't much compared to Steam profits. But also that day to day Steam numbers ain't poo poo compared to Steam sale or first-day-front-page numbers.

So, depending on the disposition of the developer, publishing via GOG's DRM-free platform is anything in between a statement of intent to representing a loss of potential sales to pirates.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

JustJeff88 posted:

As far as DRM goes, Steam is really inoffensive...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

jivjov posted:

As far as DRM goes, Steam is really inoffensive...

It depends. Some people still swear it fucks 'em over if their rural or eastern European internet connection hiccups. Some people just never accepted the essential facts of its existence, as a storefront, as a copy protection scheme, as the de facto center of PC gaming, etc. I think the platform has gotten a lot of its devotion just by reliably providing lots of really cheap games for one demographic, and being really reliable and useful to everyone else with community, matchmaking, patching, preloading, and other features that didn't exist a decade ago that folks can't live without.

For the most part, I regard it as something I don't use if I don't have to but there are other things more worth getting upset over. The benefits of the platform far outweigh my gripes. My friends used to basically demand one of our number (not me) to mail them DVDs with cracked games on them, along with the requisite patches, now they've gotten used to waiting for a good sale and actually parting with money for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really hate these sales. They're predicated on people not already owning the games, and they're gonna be largely the same ones from the last insomnia sale. Have they not understood the concept of diminishing returns?

Well there are some advantages, though they're pretty much only for GOG or the publishers of the games themselves. As long as you don't have another Jack Keane situation (and they seem to have learned from this by drastically reducing some of the amounts a game has available) these are basically some amount of guaranteed sales. Not that great for the consumer though. Even Steam stopped with the 8 hour flash sales, much like ones that can last less than a minute.