Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Maleketh posted:

I had Yoshihiro Shimazu get the event with the sorcerer in the forest. Instead of running away screaming, he just calmly greeted the soul of his dead nemesis, which sent the sorcerer fleeing in terror. Yoshihiro's the best.

That's fantastic :) I never played any of the Empires games. I may have to start with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Maleketh posted:

I had Yoshihiro Shimazu get the event with the sorcerer in the forest. Instead of running away screaming, he just calmly greeted the soul of his dead nemesis, which sent the sorcerer fleeing in terror. Yoshihiro's the best.

Hanzo just told the sorcerer that he has no fears, and nothing was conjured. That was also pretty good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I haven't played 4E yet but SW has a tradition of having the best Empire games.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I loved the hell out of SW2E. Sad we didn't get 3E, but it sounds like 4E is pretty decent. I'll have to buy it later though, since I got Pirate Warriors 3 off the last PSN sale and am still working through it.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Definitely going to get SW4E once it comes to PC.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Did PS3 4E come out in the west, or is it just PS4/Vita?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

KoldPT posted:

Did PS3 4E come out in the west, or is it just PS4/Vita?

I've been playing on the ps3 version in north america. I had a really hard time finding it on the PSN Store though, and I forget what I even had to do to solve that.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
A few of the Warriors games are part of a weeklong sale on Steam.

Samurai Warriors 4-II is $24.99, -50%

Dynasty 8 XL Complete is $19.99, -60%

I think that's the cheapest SW42 has been on Steam, and D8 is same price as the recent holiday sales.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
And as usual they don't put the DLC on sale.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

PureRok posted:

Are they going to do that

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

grrarg posted:

A few of the Warriors games are part of a weeklong sale on Steam.

Samurai Warriors 4-II is $24.99, -50%

Dynasty 8 XL Complete is $19.99, -60%

I think that's the cheapest SW42 has been on Steam, and D8 is same price as the recent holiday sales.

Toukiden is also half off, does anybody here know if they ever fixed that PC port so that it's uh, functional? I'm not picky about framerates and stuff, but I remember people saying it barely even worked on release

I know it's not technically a warriors game, but hell, koei-tecmo is koei-tecmo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, that spear CAW moveset is such a dumpster of burning garbage. Slow, lovely combos, and the musou is pathetic. Then they give it to 90% of all the lesser generals. I'm also not a fan of those stupid "protect person" missions since they tend to be on the other side of the map and by the time you get there you already failed.

Between games they made the horse pathing utter trash. In 4 it ran right to you and you hopped on. In Empires the stupid thing zig zags around and never gets to you unless you stop moving and wait a hour for the dumb thing to get to you.

Those are some gripes I have from playing SW4 Empires. Pretty solid so far.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 21, 2016

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

lesbian baphomet posted:

Toukiden is also half off, does anybody here know if they ever fixed that PC port so that it's uh, functional? I'm not picky about framerates and stuff, but I remember people saying it barely even worked on release

I know it's not technically a warriors game, but hell, koei-tecmo is koei-tecmo.
Recent reviews say it works in Windows 7 compatibility mode, so I guess it is better in that sense. I'm not sure if it is a Frankenstein port like SW42. That one has PS4 models but PS3 textures for some reason.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's the vita version and still runs like poo poo last time I looked.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I'm also not a fan of those stupid "protect person" missions since they tend to be on the other side of the map and by the time you get there you already failed.

If you know or suspect there's going to be one of those, you can just position those two generals near each other and then tell one of them to follow the other. I usually do that for developing friendships anyway, even if I know they're not going to have a Protect objective.

What's most annoying about the protect missions are the ones that require getting the kill on two specific enemy generals, meaning that you either have to try to prevent everybody else from fighting in that area or just swing/musou when they're low health and hope that you deal the finishing blow

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

lesbian baphomet posted:

They ported the Vita version to Steam. Don't buy it, it's a lovely port. It runs at 15 FPS if you're PC is good enough to maintain a stable framerate. In fact, at this point I think the only Koei Tecmo PC port that is better than its console counterparts is Arslan: Warriors of Legend. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I stopped paying as much attention after Bladestorm Nightmare was another loving debacle of a port.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

FanaticalMilk posted:

They ported the Vita version to Steam. Don't buy it, it's a lovely port. It runs at 15 FPS if you're PC is good enough to maintain a stable framerate. In fact, at this point I think the only Koei Tecmo PC port that is better than its console counterparts is Arslan: Warriors of Legend. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I stopped paying as much attention after Bladestorm Nightmare was another loving debacle of a port.

The game looks and runs fine for me, I don't know where you're getting 15 fps from. I don't even have that great of a computer, just an i5 and a geforce gtx 660.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

lesbian baphomet posted:

If you know or suspect there's going to be one of those, you can just position those two generals near each other and then tell one of them to follow the other. I usually do that for developing friendships anyway, even if I know they're not going to have a Protect objective.

The fact the game has an indicator for if a relationship event is about to take place is great, especially if you know the type (Sworn Ally: protect them, Rivals: Multi Musou etc.) Makes it so much easier to handle multiple officers each having their own things going on.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
So, SW Empire people, how many characters can be in a name?

In SW4 normal or Chronicles 3 I can never really seem to fit in some of the names I want to use for CAWs.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Airspace posted:

In SW4 normal or Chronicles 3 I can never really seem to fit in some of the names I want to use for CAWs.

It has the same character limit. In fact, the create-an-officer system is almost exactly the same as in base SW4.

Speaking of, I just wrapped up my first full playthrough, and this dapper fellow was one of my most important officers:

His name is Goon.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

do you have the sw4 costume dlc in empires? cause you could make a really dorky looking dude in 4 with that

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Maleketh posted:

It has the same character limit. In fact, the create-an-officer system is almost exactly the same as in base SW4.

Speaking of, I just wrapped up my first full playthrough, and this dapper fellow was one of my most important officers:

His name is Goon.

M' daimyo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

also you should pick chastity as your kanji!

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Davincie posted:

also you should pick chastity as your kanji!

gently caress, you're right.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Airspace posted:

I am pretty sure it's exactly 12. including spaces

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Huh. Sudden random update of DW8:Empires. Minor bugfixing and a new raid map.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

PureRok posted:

Last I checked they're not planning a PC port, and frankly after the mess I went through to get SW4-2 to work with a controller I don't want a PC version.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

PureRok posted:

The game looks and runs fine for me, I don't know where you're getting 15 fps from. I don't even have that great of a computer, just an i5 and a geforce gtx 660.

Huh, well I guess they must have patched it. Either the way, there's absolutely no reason to buy the PC versions of Tecmo Koei games if you have another version you could play. And even if you don't own any other systems, you shouldn't buy them as that's just supporting lovely business practices.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I didn't realize you could choose Mitsuhide Akechi as a weapon, does his hair have physics when you swing him

m'hime :colbert:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Ahaha, I just had Magoichi give the Three Arrows event to his retainers and one of them broke the bundle. Magoichi's response: "What I was trying to say is... Um... Well, if they were bullets, you couldn't break them! Nothing beats a rifle!"

This game is the best.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Touché

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In SW4 Empires how/where do you get a forge or whatever you need to actually upgrade weapon levels? I've got a shop already for adding effects.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

In SW4 Empires how/where do you get a forge or whatever you need to actually upgrade weapon levels? I've got a shop already for adding effects.

Certain provinces have swordsmith facilities (denoted by a hammer and sword icon). I'm pretty sure weapon levels upgrade automatically as you gain access to more swordsmiths. (At least, I've never had to do the upgrades myself.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, could have sworn someone mentioned a forge but thanks, I did wonder how my weapons were at lvl 2.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The forge enables a category (under the Military header) that gives you new and improved weapon attributes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They really need to tweak the advantage poo poo in Samurai Warriors 4 Empires. Slight disadvantage? Well, enemies hit you for twice as hard, have twice the defense and 10x the HP! Double that for the clear advantage and 100x that for a big advantage. If it's late game they have at least ten of each level 3 formation and an endless supply of battlefield executables. It's utterly impossible to win in anything less than equal army strength and late in the game it's impossible to get the troop count needed to get to that point for attacking because you only get exp in battles. So you have to switch around your magistrates despite them having lovely abilities.

Just a terrible grind. If it's 1570+ then quit the game delete the save then start another game because you've gotten to the point where everything falls apart.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I've been playing on hard* and the only time I run into that is during defensive battles. It's still a pain then but there you only have to survive and can knock the time down late game. Honestly I like the late game danger once the nation starts normalizing out into fewer clans. Early you can sweeps so many smaller clans earlier so you can be building up troop amounts late game. Not to mention I never keep my main army on the frontline territories so once the defensive battle ends I swap out the defenders and smack the weakened clan right back.

(*Somehow on accident that I didn't notice until a few years in)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbot posted:

They really need to tweak the advantage poo poo in Samurai Warriors 4 Empires. Slight disadvantage? Well, enemies hit you for twice as hard, have twice the defense and 10x the HP! Double that for the clear advantage and 100x that for a big advantage. If it's late game they have at least ten of each level 3 formation and an endless supply of battlefield executables. It's utterly impossible to win in anything less than equal army strength and late in the game it's impossible to get the troop count needed to get to that point for attacking because you only get exp in battles. So you have to switch around your magistrates despite them having lovely abilities.

Just a terrible grind. If it's 1570+ then quit the game delete the save then start another game because you've gotten to the point where everything falls apart.

Well I mean, they have to do something to make the strategic part of the game have any meaning. If it was like a normal DW game you could conquer all of Japan using the force of arms of a single super powerful general, and just ignore the empire building aspect.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

KT couldn't have picked a worse day to announce ROTK is coming back west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The GIG posted:

KT couldn't have picked a worse day to announce ROTK is coming back west

Why? did something happen in china or something?