Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

That card will go great in my Zur commander deck.

No it won't. The only win condition is Doomsday.

Zoness posted:

bring back shroud imo

Correct. Give me Nimble Mongoose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Original Geist was theoretically pretty good on curve on the play in limited but very hard to clear the way for. People flipping their poo poo over being lucky that you got it was always silly. If you're lucky you could toss it in the U/W deck and have like a Spectral Flight to toss on it

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

suicidesteve posted:

That card will go great in my Zur commander deck.

No it won't. The only win condition is Doomsday.

you are a good person, and I mean this unironically

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Throw it on insidious mist and just hork out angel tokens all day? Maybe some kind of sac engine to eat the angel before it vanishes, I dunno. It'll probably preorder for $10 and drop down to $2.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Shroud has a lot more space for interesting design. Hexproof really doesn't outside of making some sort of Hexproof creature that gets weaker if you target it with spells.

Calciderm was really neat design.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

Shroud has a lot more space for interesting design. Hexproof really doesn't outside of making some sort of Hexproof creature that gets weaker if you target it with spells.

and blastoderm before that :getin:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

This seems super mediocre.

That's very generous of you.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
http://imgur.com/oAiioig

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

One good plains, one good island, one good swamp, one good mountain, and two good forests. I don't know that any of these stick up to any of the historically great basics but there's some quality stuff in there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd like both to be printed (hexproof more sparingly), but remember feeling incredibly stupid when it took me a few minutes to figure out the difference the first time I encountered the abilities side by side in Duels.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Look sometimes I want to give a tree 5 extra attack and trample without any of your doom blade bullshit

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You have to already have a good attack for it to do anything at all though. Even bad cards like Untamed Hunger can at least give you that. I guess the spirits deck has flying and hexproof as themes so maybe it could be OK there.

If there is a common 1/3 with Skulk in blue it's OK, but its still not great. The fact you need a specifically good target for it makes it (and in the case of that theoretical skulk card, probably an independently bad card) worse.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Never not thinking of slivers whenever I see one of those cryptoliths or whatever they're called

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

GeneX posted:

you are a good person, and I mean this unironically

At least it's got a win condition! :v: Zur used to be my way of punishing people whose decks annoyed me because they could never win or even really interact with me but my only win condition was 21 damage from Zur.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Look sometimes I want to give a tree 5 extra attack and trample without any of your doom blade bullshit

doom blade isn't even in standard why are you worried about it

who the gently caress got the forest art backwards

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 21, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

And no efficient, universal alternative to murderous cut yet, either, for the coming standard I believe (to ignore the joke)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

And no efficient, universal alternative to murderous cut yet, either, for the coming standard I believe (to ignore the joke)

Rinkles posted:

There were two, just multicolored.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

There were two, just multicolored.

I was thinking of doomblade variants, but what are you reffering to? Unmaking (which is a tad expensive) and?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

I was thinking of doomblade variants, but what are you reffering to? Unmaking (which is a tad expensive) and?

Tad expensive? Unconditional exile at 3 isn't what I would call expensive in standard. 3 life expensive maybe? Declaration is stone, at white, and sorcery. There is also ultimate price, which is doomblade but for mono colored. It should probably be better this standard.

Murderous cut would probably be a lot worse even if it was around due to no fetch lands. If anything removal this standard is probably going to be better than last standard.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nice to see an argument rise up out of a joke

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Since we're doing an Investigation-themed set, it'd be nice if we got a good card harkening back to the last time Wizards did a murder mystery in the set

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

Tad expensive? Unconditional exile at 3 isn't what I would call expensive in standard. 3 life expensive maybe?

Not for what it does. For a doom blade.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Great callback flavor, poo poo card. Could've very easily been decent as a static enchantment with "Whenever a creature you control attacks, you may pay 2. If you do, put a 4/4 white Angel creature token with flying onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. Exile that token at end of combat."

C'est la vie.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is it competing with anything else for the 3 drop slot?

Thopter guy and vile aggregate. A draw 2 or face smash might just be better than Thopter guy.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 22, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Great callback flavor, poo poo card. Could've very easily been decent as a static enchantment with "Whenever a creature you control attacks, you may pay 2. If you do, put a 4/4 white Angel creature token with flying onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. Exile that token at end of combat."

C'est la vie.

That would have to be attacks alone. Could you image having 6 mana and tossin out a secure the wastes for 4 end of turn and swinging for 16?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

suicidesteve posted:

At least it's got a win condition! :v: Zur used to be my way of punishing people whose decks annoyed me because they could never win or even really interact with me but my only win condition was 21 damage from Zur.

But the best part of Zur is locking down the entire game for everybody while they sit there helplessly and watch Zur slowly chip them to death while tutoring out more lock pieces.

Or just have him suit up and two-shot people.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Voyager I posted:

Or just have him suit up and two-shot people.

This is too easy. The correct way to win with Zur is to attack and tutor a Spreading Seas into play, and have the trigger win you the game.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I put Arcane Labs in my Zur deck mostly because it seemed annoying and the point of it was to troll the table a little bit, but it also turns out that an enchantment that makes it harder to for everyone to play spells is pretty good with the commander who doesn't have to cast things to win.

Overloaded Cyclonic Rift > Swing with Zur > Tutor out Arcane Laboratory is a hell of a line.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That would have to be attacks alone. Could you image having 6 mana and tossin out a secure the wastes for 4 end of turn and swinging for 16?

If you have six mana and have resolved and protected an enchantment and your opponent doesn't interact with you at any stage, including when you go all-in, I don't know that I can object to you winning that game :shrug:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Having six mana and an enchantment in play isn't exactly an unusual limited state

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Is there someone that the "remember this good card? now it's bad" genre of card appeals to? I personally don't get it, but they seem to be doing them a lot.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I liked all the callbacks in origins, but that was a nostalgia set and it's not like I'm actually playing the crappier version of ichorid.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Is there someone that the "remember this good card? now it's bad" genre of card appeals to? I personally don't get it, but they seem to be doing them a lot.

The last time they designed a card with the specific intent of making it too good, it and Stoneforge Mystic got banned in Standard. They take a cautious approach with callback cards, because pushing cards too far can be a disaster.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bad callbacks to good cards is a good way to remind someone of a better time. Remember when we printed Bob? lmao. lmao. enjoy your new turd idiot card.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

but that was a nostalgia set

It was?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

One of the core sets recently had a Kird Ape callback line of cards that was pretty cool.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Most cards aren't very good. Statistically new versions of old cards are likely to be bad if they're just of an average power level.

That said Evolutionary Leap and Dark Petition from Origins are good and have been played, I think people are too quick to dismiss cards as bad because they're worse than something that's banned in Legacy or whatever.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I know, it'd almost make me try to make Enchantress again since the Zauberins could swing for 4 off of it.

Thank goodness we dodged that bullet.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

"I would play Enchantress if I could swing for over one damage a turn" you loving poser you don't deserve to play Enchantress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Surprising nobody, it turns out the cryptoliths were made by Nahiri. There's two new cards as well

cool

yawn

• Locked thread