Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Im gonna do a new gearhead game tonight and i think im gonna destroy poo poo.

This time i wont get to level 10 in performance because it was alot of xp and no dang recording contract

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

HeartNotes3 posted:

Finally picked up Dungeon of the Endless. I had an amazing game going up to level 7 then I discovered the ... surprise waiting for you if some of your team mates do not get along. Suffice to say, the run ended shortly thereafter.

Sara can be amazing in the right team comp, but I'm really struggling to find a good partner for that sword-slashy bug guy.

That only happens with those specific two teammates, and it's random as to which of the two survive. The other stories don't cause dead heroes.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

While Dream Quest is indeed a deck-building roguelike, as far as I can tell it's also literally impossible to beat it without grinding a bunch to get more perks at the start of the game. Kind of like trying to beat Rogue Legacy with the starter character except that doing that in Rogue Legacy just requires great dodging skill and willingness to deal with tedious bossfights where you die in one hit, while in Dream Quest you're just flat-out going to die the first time you run into a level-7 ghost or whatever when you're level 5 and surprise you can't even run from the encounter yet because you have to unlock the ability to flee.

Also, it's butt-ugly. I'd rather have ASCII by a long shot.

You're not really being fair to the game, I think. Some unlocks do provide bonuses, but they tend to be quite small and you'll get them all in the first hour. The rest are about providing more options. Also, you shouldn't be running around with a level 5 character on second floor to get all the pickups early and trivialise the early fights - getting killed by a ghost teaches you that in the same way as brutal deaths do in other roguelikes. If you could just flee from the ghost, it wouldn't be dangerous in the slightest. That's why fleeing is a talent you unlock (early, by dying 10 times), but even then you don't automatically get it - you'd have to choose it in lieu of other, much better options.

It is butt-ugly, but it's also up there with Hoplite as tightly focused roguelikes, and you really should check it out. It's one of the very few roguelikes where you can tell that every single gameplay decision has been made very deliberately, not because "that's how things are done".

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was just thinking how like everything in nethack can be good. Even bad things. Im sure it took decades to get it all down but is there is anything that comes close. I think theres like 6 or 9 outcomes to throwing gems at unicorns and almost everything in the game is that complicated

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Also, some quick notes about two relatively new roguelik(t)es on Steam:

Hieroglyphika's gimmic is that it's a roguelike without a text, so you have to deduce everything from pictograms or simply by trying things out. Unfortunately, it doesn't really encourage experimentation very much, as even in early floors you really want to race for the stairs avoiding unnecessary fights. I do like that each piece of equipment changes your abilities quite drastically, removing diagonal movement in lieu of two-square movement in a straight line, for instance, or attracting health-giving 'spirits' from afar. The dungeons are full of traps that periodically go off by themselves, so you have to try and keep out of their reach while also constantly moving forward as soon enough there will be strong monsters coming from behind, trying to catch up with you. I would be into it much more, if the whole thing wasn't playing out in slow motion, enemies doing their movements one after another, then one type of traps going off, then the other...

Overfall is a bit like a small-scale, procedurally generated King's Bounty. You have your tactical fights (albeit with heroes only, not stacks) with plenty of different abilities to go around, but they tend to be 2v2 to 4v4 (late in game) affairs, so sometimes all the tactical options don't have much room to play out. Also, in the first few games you play, you tend to run in fights that wreck your guys entirely as you have no idea what can you take on. The strategic layer involves you going around the map in a boat, visiting islands and doing errands for different races to gain favour with them. These errands involve either mini-CYOA adventures (think Space Rangers), which range from quite interesting to terrible attempts at referential humour, or battles. There's a Story Builder in the game with Workshop support, so the repetition eventually shouldn't be a problem. It's still Early Access, but I'm cautiously optimistic, as it's quite a good game already, especially if the idea of small-scale tactical battles sounds appealing to you.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Isaac posted:

I was just thinking how like everything in nethack can be good. Even bad things. Im sure it took decades to get it all down but is there is anything that comes close. I think theres like 6 or 9 outcomes to throwing gems at unicorns and almost everything in the game is that complicated

As far as I know all that ever does is increase your luck. You can get amounts of luck depending on things like whether you actually knew it was a valuable gem (and you can potentially lose luck from giving them worthless pieces of glass), but it's all basically one outcome.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

As far as I know all that ever does is increase your luck. You can get amounts of luck depending on things like whether you actually knew it was a valuable gem (and you can potentially lose luck from giving them worthless pieces of glass), but it's all basically one outcome.

My point was one tiny element of nethack has like 3 pages in the wiki about how many different way items and objects interact

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Does Nethack really expect you to search for hidden doors and passages everywhere to progress? I keep running into dead ends...

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

General Emergency posted:

Does Nethack really expect you to search for hidden doors and passages everywhere to progress? I keep running into dead ends...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Burning Rain posted:

You're not really being fair to the game, I think. Some unlocks do provide bonuses, but they tend to be quite small and you'll get them all in the first hour. The rest are about providing more options. Also, you shouldn't be running around with a level 5 character on second floor to get all the pickups early and trivialise the early fights - getting killed by a ghost teaches you that in the same way as brutal deaths do in other roguelikes. If you could just flee from the ghost, it wouldn't be dangerous in the slightest. That's why fleeing is a talent you unlock (early, by dying 10 times), but even then you don't automatically get it - you'd have to choose it in lieu of other, much better options.

I'm probably not being entirely fair to the game, no, but I'm also not being entirely unreasonable either. I don't think it's a remotely controversial statement that luck plays heavily into how you perform in Dream Quest. For example, regarding the section I bolded: ghosts are invisible on the map, so there's no way to tell when you're going to get into a fight with one. You just move through an apparently-empty tile, and surprise! It's time to re-enact Ghostbusters with you playing the part of Slimer's lunch. If you randomly roll the dungeon theme that has ghosts relatively early in the game, then it is entirely pure chance whether you run into one before you have the resources to deal with it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
AutoFire was a loving blast. There's the seed of something amazing in there.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Here's a brief LP from Roguelicker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OIltLObVOM

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is there any good way of keeping those monsters who attack your modules in Dungeon of the Endless from just smashing a bunch when they show up?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yeah I agree, it's novel and sliding is fun.

Needs double the grip base for increased duriftoooo

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Is there any good way of keeping those monsters who attack your modules in Dungeon of the Endless from just smashing a bunch when they show up?

Not really, it's a matter of mitigating the damage. LAN modules (a researchable major module) boost the durability of all modules on the floor, so if you have the spare production and powered rooms that can help. TESLAs will target module-smashers first, so they can save you some grief. The floating pyramid types who attack minor modules will actually prioritize dudes higher, so sticking a tank in there can save them. They will attack the closest modules first, so if you have spare module slots putting a prisoner prod or two closest to the door makes rebuilding cheaper. As for the big golem type who go after major modules, the solution there is just to not build major modules in rooms that have unopened doors if at all possible. Also you can use a guy with a taunt to keep them from smashing your valuable investments - the Arrmani Suit, the Hipster Scarf, and Gork's active ability can all do that.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

My 22mo is now able to, unassisted:
- start sproggiwood
- load the game
- select a dungeon
- kill enemies until he levels up
- pick "scarecrow" as his skill

Once he does that, he loses all interest in playing the game and just wants to cast Scarecrow all day every day.

Sproggiwood: UI so clear, even a toddler can use it.

Dunno why nobody jumped on this, that's adorable and hillarious.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Isaac posted:

Im gonna do a new gearhead game tonight and i think im gonna destroy poo poo.

This time i wont get to level 10 in performance because it was alot of xp and no dang recording contract

What does the recording contract do in Gearhead? I never bothered picking one up.

Also I checked around the files a bit more. There theoretically could be much bigger weapons than light tactical nukes. Lots bigger. Some of the potential damage states seem to be drat near Gurenn Lagann in size. And a lot of the status effects are barely used going by comparing the number of weapons that inflict them.

I know there were supposedly was going to be spaceships added in for players (NPC ones are already in, you can board and capture them in some missions, and fight them in space. But not own one.). Maybe that's what the heavier stuff was intended for instead of turning your mech into a suicide bomber IN SPAAAAACE by strapping a nuke to it? :stare:

I'm wondering if maybe counter-measures aren't possible. I know I sometimes intercept missiles. I'm guessing that's not related to piloting but that one anti-electronics skill. Not sure if i'm right though? If so it'd make for a nasty late game (and very roguelike) surprise when you run into crap like that.

Either way, I wish this game had development picked up on it again. It has so much potential.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 19, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Burning Rain posted:

Overfall is a bit like a small-scale, procedurally generated King's Bounty. You have your tactical fights (albeit with heroes only, not stacks) with plenty of different abilities to go around, but they tend to be 2v2 to 4v4 (late in game) affairs, so sometimes all the tactical options don't have much room to play out. Also, in the first few games you play, you tend to run in fights that wreck your guys entirely as you have no idea what can you take on. The strategic layer involves you going around the map in a boat, visiting islands and doing errands for different races to gain favour with them. These errands involve either mini-CYOA adventures (think Space Rangers), which range from quite interesting to terrible attempts at referential humour, or battles. There's a Story Builder in the game with Workshop support, so the repetition eventually shouldn't be a problem. It's still Early Access, but I'm cautiously optimistic, as it's quite a good game already, especially if the idea of small-scale tactical battles sounds appealing to you.

Sounds great. Thanks for the heads up.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://twitter.com/epyoncf/status/711324546356228096

Anyone here go to GDC and give the prototype a spin?

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Gotta say, that looks sexy as hell. If he manages to pull this off I'm paying however much he asks for

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rutibex posted:

The game you are after is a board game, not a computer game. What you want is Mage Knight. Lucky for you there is a Vassal module of the game, so you can play it on computer:
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Mage_Knight_Board_Game

Two people have recommended this now, and neither one of them has included the necessary caveat that it is monstrously complex to learn - as in, when you ask people the best way to learn their answer is almost invariably to point you at a two hour series of walkthrough videos. Not bringing that up when your stated previous form is games like Star Realms that are almost painfully simplistic and play out in fifteen minutes is misleading.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Jedit posted:

Two people have recommended this now, and neither one of them has included the necessary caveat that it is monstrously complex to learn - as in, when you ask people the best way to learn their answer is almost invariably to point you at a two hour series of walkthrough videos. Not bringing that up when your stated previous form is games like Star Realms that are almost painfully simplistic and play out in fifteen minutes is misleading.

I would think the five Angband-style popout windows, one of which looks to be the rulebook would imply that naturally.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Floodkiller posted:

I would think the five Angband-style popout windows, one of which looks to be the rulebook would imply that naturally.

That's how VASSAL always looks.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Archonex posted:

Either way, I wish this game had development picked up on it again. It has so much potential.

Um, it's been getting updated again for a little while now. Right now he's looking for help getting all the changes made by the Japanese community merged into his code. Apparently they added all kinds of poo poo like transforming mechs.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Emong posted:

Um, it's been getting updated again for a little while now. Right now he's looking for help getting all the changes made by the Japanese community merged into his code. Apparently they added all kinds of poo poo like transforming mechs.

Hell yeah im going to download this and play even more gearhead

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Yeah, Mage Knight has a lot of working parts and it's good and all, but our last 4p run at the mines quest (a 'short' scenario) took 5 hours. Two experienced, two newbies. So it's at least an hour a person for a short quest.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Whatever happened to the Let's Play roguelikes thread? Came back after a few months and it seems to have died off. We need another!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Espilae posted:

Whatever happened to the Let's Play roguelikes thread? Came back after a few months and it seems to have died off. We need another!

It died off, presumably due to lack of interest on the part of the people making the LPs. You want to LP some roguelikes? :justpost:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm partially to blame for that. I really did want to continue that IVAN LP, but a computer change and a massive rush at work kinda burned me out on everything for a long while. :(

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm partially to blame for that.

In my case, my chosen game (Convoy) got what I saw as mostly negative responses to the game (not the playthrough itself), which combined with me not entirely sure how to par down the videos since it was getting rather same-y discouraged me from finishing it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Espilae posted:

It breathes. The LP thread dies.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Espilae posted:

I stopped because I was a moron and deleted the remainder of my Sproggiwood recordings by accident. I tried to record some Nuclear Throne videos in January, but I disliked how they turned out (namely my commentary) so I didn't post them, then I got too busy with work to try and find something else. I assume everyone else who had an ongoing LP also had some reason or another that caused them to stop posting.

If you want to post a run, I'll keep updating the OP if you don't want to bother starting a new thread for it.

Ulvirich posted:

In my case, my chosen game (Convoy) got what I saw as mostly negative responses to the game (not the playthrough itself), which combined with me not entirely sure how to par down the videos since it was getting rather same-y discouraged me from finishing it.

Sorry if I discouraged you by bitching about a random text event, I thought the rest of the game was pretty interesting and I liked the LP as well :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Me, I just forgot about my URW Game. :shobon:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
For anyone who doesn't already have it, desktop dungeons is in the humble mobile bundle right now. Buying it should get you the account license to play it online (in a browser), etc. I think i paid 20 bucks for it and it was totally worth it. It's at the $6 tier in the bundle, so a good deal.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 22, 2016

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Me, I just forgot about my URW Game. :shobon:

Which is a shame, since I was enjoying the poo poo out of it. Made me think about playing it and I'm a giant carebear. Maybe I should start up my carebear series again.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
New The Pit update. Free class and new stuff. Also last update.

quote:

Three years after the initial release of the Sword of the Stars: The Pit, Kerberos Productions is celebrating with a sixth and final Pit DLC,
Medic!

In Medic, you will brave the perils of the Pit as Astryd Jemison - the 12th player character in the series - a SolForce Medic racing against time to save the people of Arbuda IV from a raging epidemic. Trained as both a medical doctor and an armed combatant, she has come to the Feldspar Mountains looking for the source of the deadly Xombie Plague.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit is a fun, fast, light-hearted action RPG, made in the tradition of Rogue and other old school dungeon-diving games. Set in the popular Sword of the Stars universe, it delivers a rich backdrop and modern gameplay.

“We are humbled and continually amazed by the fans of the series.” Martin Cirulis, Kerberos CEO and designer of The Pit. “As ever, we are happy to show that The Pit always has new challenges to offer players.”

“As our first Indie title, we are quite proud of The Pit and the place its earned in the Roguelike genre. We could not have done it without our fans and everyone that supported the game.” Said Kerberos COO Christopher Stewart. “The release of the Medic DLC on The Pit’s 3rd anniversary is the perfect place to wrap things up for this incarnation of the game and start looking to the future of the series.”

Besides the new playable character class, Medic includes new enemies, new items, new weapons and armor, as well as new recipes and achievements!

As much as I've been a fan of The Pit I booted it up a while ago and really thought about the mechanics.

I came to the conclusion The Pit would be a lot more fun if at least two things were changed.

First, the Fear mechanic loving sucks. Characters with the Fear status cannot attack or move in a desired direction. Instead you have to constantly press one of the move buttons until the status elapses. That's loving annoying.

I believe the Fear mechanic forces the character to constantly move towards the level's exit (even if the exit is not known). Functionally what this does is force the player to move by or into rooms you haven't discovered yet, thus waking up monsters and leaving you in a situation where a bunch of monsters have woken up, you have likely taken some damage from them, and you may be surrounded.

The lower you get in the Pit, the more likely it is a loving death sentence.

One of the enemies that was introduced in a later patch/DLC (Mindgames?) is the Arbuda Sapiens. As a design this monster is suppose to be a harasser not damager.

However it can: throw infinite terror grenades, has a move speed of 4 and makes a beeline to medical bays EVEN destroyed ones to heal infinitely. It's a pain in the rear end to kill one, while at lower pit levels one of these assholes can totally wipe your run.

Anyway.

Secondly, in my opinion the late game Pit strategy is to view every room as risk/reward. You choose a room to explore based on what you need (health, ammo, etc.) and hope you have the ammo and durability resources to spend to defeat all the monsters in the room and come out in the black resource wise.

All rooms in the pit are long rectangles or the occasional square. The corridors are uniform N by 2 (length x width) with the occasional pillar that restricts the corridor to one square. So there isn't really a way to reliably sneak by rooms you don't want to open and avoid awakening (and thus expending resources) on defeating monsters.

A better stealth system and variance in corridor size/shape would help the later stages be less of such a rng cliff.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I love URW but i think its another night of gearhead for me

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is there a good beginner's guide for Gearhead 1 or 2?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

andrew smash posted:

For anyone who doesn't already have it, desktop dungeons is in the humble mobile bundle right now. Buying it should get you the account license to play it online (in a browser), etc. I think i paid 20 bucks for it and it was totally worth it. It's at the $6 tier in the bundle, so a good deal.

Yeah, it's an awesome brainburner with a huge permanent village building part. Sort of like the castle of rogue legacy but with a lot of weirdly humorous tips sprinkled on.
And don't be put off by the accusation of grindyness, once the truly preposterous grind starts you'll have already sunk a lot of hours getting there and if you like the game it won't matter anyway. It's more of an end state than a final grind anyway; yeah, you have the goal of getting another locker room item for 30000 gold but eh, gently caress that, village building is done, the end game is breaking the vicious dungeons in increasingly gimmicky ways.

I'm still getting trounced by vicious dungeons btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
here's my risk/reward strategy for Sword Of the Stars™ The Pit™ *clicks uninstall while spinnin in chair*