Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

GSD posted:

wait what

fakeedit: this is going to be even worse than I am imagining, isn't it?

*Shao Kahn laugh*

quote:

Country (The Principality of Prussia)
Name: Fredrick Holst, Kaiser of Prussia (Head of State)
Ideology: paternal autocrat
Trait: supreme leader
Start Date: 1946
End Date: June 24, 1965

Bio: A former officer in the German army during WW2, he opposed the views of Hitler, but feared communism more than he did Fascism. He fought with great honor at the Battle of France, then at Normandy, Operation Market Garden, and finally at the battle of the Bulge. He was known for leading his men with a sense of pride that made those under him respect him. With the end of the second World War though, he ended up in East Germany, despising the Communist party, but he was a general. He had dreams of making East Germany back into Prussia, where Generals and soldiers were held in the highest of regards. In 1946, he launched a coup d'etat, overthrowing the government in a largely bloodless coup ( a garrison of NKVD officers were killed when they tried to stop the general's forces), and formed the Principality of Prussia.

His first order was to reinforce the border along communist nations, and to improve relations with parties in neighboring Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, and even Poland that approved of the coup. He began a massive arms build up, with the intent of crushing any communist invasion for the Soviet union. He focused on a theory called gepanzerten Barriere (armored barrier); the goal was to slow the soviet army with heavy armored units, with artillery and rockets to destroy the rear areas. He did this by improving infantry and tank formations to resist as much attack they could while unleashing impressive firepower, at the cost of mobility. He also had the air force focus largely on CAS and fighter interceptors.

He led Prussia through his reign, with his people respecting him, and he was acknowledged as the Kaiser of Prussia in 1950. He would be most known for uniting West Germany into Prussia, as well as Switzerland and Austria without war. He was respected by many, including US president Eisenhower, who said "A new Prussia lead by a Kaiser in my mind only meant war, that was until Fredrick Holst led the new Prussia into a new era of expansion without war", and he was known for being a major player in keeping Palestine as its own nation, by blockading the British soldiers from reaching Palestine to support the Israelis, and negotiating a peace between both parties, with Israel getting a bit of the Sinai Peninsula in exchange of Palestine keeping most of its land.

In the 1960s, he suffered a heart attack, and in 1965, he would die, but not before seeing the Soviets withdrawal forces from Poland after Prussia displayed to the world its military might in a war with Czechoslovakia, winning it despite the Soviet Forces stationed there in 3 weeks. He would be surpassed by the Supreme General of the Army, as per his wishes. By the 1990s, Prussia was a major power, all because this old General was willingly to challenge communism in German lands.

(The Kaiser in his old general's uniform)

link to find photo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministr...ast_Germany%29

Ps: Odd how I picked a member of the Ministry of National defense of East Germany to be the face of this new head of state that is paternal autocrat, but screw it, he looked the part of a general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Kavak posted:

I'm going to have to seriously disagree. IIRC a lot of critical things weren't that detailed, like diplomacy and elections, and things like asymmetrical and nuclear warfare weren't in there at all, so I think it had a lot further to go than that. You also had things that made no sense at all, like elections for leadership of NATO that could put Italy or Belgium in charge of the entire alliance.

Paradox weren't up for developing it for another year or more, and it simply wasn't finished enough to whip into shape. I don't think they should ever have let it get to that state, but they did what they had to do in the end. Keep in mind that this was a year after CK II, the first truly solid Paradox release, and they didn't want to lose their new reputation by releasing something that was going to require several expansions to reach quality.

I'm not saying it had good design decisions throughout, but a lot of what you mention is going to cause me to talk about things that happened before I came on, so take this all with a grain a salt, I wasn't involved during the formation of the game. I came in when most of the major mechanics were hammered out.

But basically, this game started more ambitious, taking a little of almost all the other paradox main titles. I remember the economy system was going to be a simplified version of Victoria's, for example. They even programmed chunks, or even entire systems, way back when, approved by Paradox Development. However, the problems occurred after getting parts completed or near complete, Paradox Development would randomly go "woah, woah, wait, this looks way too much like X Series mechanics, you can't do that. Change it." This was often after it had been implemented or worked on, forcing the programmers and leaders to scrap code and start all over with new ideas. From what I heard, they were trying to protect their series from competition. Each series has it's kind of own specialty, which is why you'll probably never see Victoria's economy in Rome, for example. Being basically HOI in the Cold War, this naturally led to a lot of conflicts over that series alone. And while it makes sense, because then you might as well just make a Victoria 3 mod for EvW, it really ruins time frames and budgets when they don't tell you before you work on things not to do it. Naturally, this also meant lots of meetings and very little actual work done in the beginning. This may have also irritated the people I heard this from, so who knows if they exaggerated parts.

But that's why you'd see some of the EvW dev's say how excited they were to have the project moved under Paradox Publishing's wing. It meant the freedom to have game mechanics the way they wanted them, within reason, without it being shot down months after being approved for it... But by then I really think it was too late. The project was way over time and it was pretty much out of money.

Ironically, I think the naval aspect was one of the few things more so untouched than others. Hence the importance of straights and personalized ship design, because no other paradox game series dealt with that kind of naval depth.

So to answer, the game was nearing beta. The mechanics were pretty shallow by that point, so there wasn't much to work on. It needed a lot of refinement, and bug fixes though. And that's why when the alpha/beta was leaked and everyone was mentioning over how crashy it was or how feature X didn't work, I was kind of confused. Not all builds crashed that bad, so you were probably looking at a build where development stopped dead, just as we were ramping up to try and finish major sections. Not all things were finished, but I know elections had worked at one time.

Again, I came in later in development. They were mostly beyond PD conflicts and just trying to get poo poo done when I came around. This is what some people said, filtered through several years, so don't take it as gospel please. I'm very likely to have gotten details wrong, and that's why I prefer to stick to ministers. I almost never talked to the event team, and generally not directly with programmers.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

*Shao Kahn laugh*

Gonna put this dude in my HoI4 mod

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

*Shao Kahn laugh*

Well, that's something.

Because a 1950s grossdeutschland makes sense. With Switzerland tossed in because why not?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

*Shao Kahn laugh*

Oh there's worse.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/first-blood-east-germany.698373/
Not sure if I'm only able to see it or not, so here...

quote:

Name: Bram Von Apfeldornen
Ideology: Communist
Trait: Extremist
Start date: 17/09/1973
End date: 17/09/1991

Bio: As the son of a rich party official, Bram has always been surrounded by wealth, and this purely beneficial side of communism he has witnessed has made him blind to the real oppression behind the DDR regime. The western media have called him a mere lapdog of the Soviets, since they do not realise that Bram's idealism does not come from greed or a desire to have power. He's a good person and with his idealist speeches he still manages to get the people's support, despite the real poverty the DDR is facing. He wants to spread his views not just to the East-germans, but also to the greater soviet authorities, but if this will make life better on the east side, only time willl tell.

:cripes:

You'd think this would have started me down a life of heavy drinking. You'd think.

Before anyone asks, I couldn't just "conveniently" leave him out in future countries with German ministers, nor could I just say "lol, no". For PR reasons we had to tip toe around the issue of entries like these. I was told to keep quiet about it and just silently remove the worst offenders later.

It was a toss up between scaring people off, or letting people have a little fun and getting some fake Maoists in Malta. I guess it wasn't that secret, but we also had the benefit of hundreds if not thousands of people with various expertise finding the holes in ministers for us. It was pretty drat handy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

*Shao Kahn laugh*

A German general re-establishing Prussia in 1946 with the approval of Poland, defeating the Soviet Union in the process. I don't see any problems with this.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

A German general re-establishing Prussia in 1946 with the approval of Poland, defeating the Soviet Union in the process. I don't see any problems with this.
Well, Poland allowing it would make sense, since it's a win for them no matter how it plays out.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, Poland allowing it would make sense, since it's a win for them no matter how it plays out.

:getin:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Bel Monte posted:

But basically, this game started more ambitious, taking a little of almost all the other paradox main titles.

[...]

But that's why you'd see some of the EvW dev's say how excited they were to have the project moved under Paradox Publishing's wing. It meant the freedom to have game mechanics the way they wanted them, within reason, without it being shot down months after being approved for it... But by then I really think it was too late. The project was way over time and it was pretty much out of money.
I don't mean to diss on the EvW crew, but "taking a little of almost all the other Paradox main titles" and tying it all together into a single game (along with new features, like the ship design) in a new setting sounds quite ambitious, even if Paradox's in-house crew had attempted it themselves. The belated nixing of components sounds like it certainly did not help the game's development, but EvW even when it was being developed sounded like it had a heaping of ambition.

The game owed a lot to HoI3 in terms of what it was built on, from what it seemed like. How would a Victoria-esque economy even have meshed with HoI3 anyways?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Bel Monte posted:

Oh there's worse.

Name: Bram Von Apfeldornen
Ideology: Communist
Trait: Extremist
Start date: 17/09/1973
End date: 17/09/1991

Bio: As the son of a rich party official, Bram has always been surrounded by wealth, and this purely beneficial side of communism he has witnessed has made him blind to the real oppression behind the DDR regime. The western media have called him a mere lapdog of the Soviets, since they do not realise that Bram's idealism does not come from greed or a desire to have power. He's a good person and with his idealist speeches he still manages to get the people's support, despite the real poverty the DDR is facing. He wants to spread his views not just to the East-germans, but also to the greater soviet authorities, but if this will make life better on the east side, only time willl tell.

Not sure if I'm only able to see it or not, so here...

:cripes:

You'd think this would have started me down a life of heavy drinking. You'd think.

Before anyone asks, I couldn't just "conveniently" leave him out in future countries with German ministers, nor could I just say "lol, no". For PR reasons we had to tip toe around the issue of entries like these. I was told to keep quiet about it and just silently remove the worst offenders later.

It was a toss up between scaring people off, or letting people have a little fun and getting some fake Maoists in Malta. I guess it wasn't that secret, but we also had the benefit of hundreds if not thousands of people with various expertise finding the holes in ministers for us. It was pretty drat handy.

The worst thing about this guy was that he really wasn't that bad. Sure he regularly wore that Soviet cap and once even ran for student government wearing the cap and running on a platform of Stalinism, but he was just a bit too interested in history and couldn't figure out everyone was laughing at him. Then again, writing such an "interesting" biography for an author-insert minister really does merit some laughing at him.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

To be honest there's quite a bit of that in Paradox' AAR forums - here let me create an LP that is 99% fictional history books and 1% gameplay - and for extra authenticity I will make my fictional history as dry and dull as your average high-school books.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bel Monte, do you know anything about the team's opinion about how guerilla warfare was handled? I recall it was just regular old-fashioned rebel stacks which made a lot of people extremely leery.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
The EvW dev team never answered my questions if there were any Avro Arrow related stuff for Canada :canada:

I still laugh at the people trying to fix the EvW leak. Apparently they got elections to stop crashing.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

I don't mean to diss on the EvW crew, but "taking a little of almost all the other Paradox main titles" and tying it all together into a single game (along with new features, like the ship design) in a new setting sounds quite ambitious, even if Paradox's in-house crew had attempted it themselves. The belated nixing of components sounds like it certainly did not help the game's development, but EvW even when it was being developed sounded like it had a heaping of ambition.

The game owed a lot to HoI3 in terms of what it was built on, from what it seemed like. How would a Victoria-esque economy even have meshed with HoI3 anyways?

Okay, not to somewhat contradict myself, but yeah. It was more like HoI3 with tacked on elements like Victoria's economy. There was going to be a world market with less resources than Victoria but more than HoI3, "pops" but way simpler (and they never elaborated how this was to work), and a proper embargo system. I distinctly remember them lamenting how they had a working system for real embargoing.

I honestly think most of their initial design was doable, because it definitely was not mashing together all the series mechanics. But they sampled from each one. I think even encroaching on the other series was the source of conflict.

Now that I think about it, paradox development probably wanted something different. Instead of having something build upon their other series, have this one be more it's own beast with something special to it. I just don't think that was communicated well. Though this is speculation.

YF-23 posted:

Bel Monte, do you know anything about the team's opinion about how guerilla warfare was handled? I recall it was just regular old-fashioned rebel stacks which made a lot of people extremely leery.

I recall people bringing up those same objections, but I think it was decided by that point. I know events were going to be used to trigger or smooth over some of the more complicated moments in history. I worked on the ministers for that rebellion in southern Morocco, if that counts for anything.

Speaking of, it's probably not surprising with the leak, but we had a number of break away countries, including ones for China, Russia, and the US. The US was actually rather fun for me. :unsmith:

Tuskin38 posted:

The EvW dev team never answered my questions if there were any Avro Arrow related stuff for Canada :canada:

I still laugh at the people trying to fix the EvW leak. Apparently they got elections to stop crashing.

I never worked on the military. There was talk of secret research stuff, but I believe that was thrown out entirely..? I know the space race was going to be a thing though.

Also, yeah. If you don't have the code, it's kinda pointless to try. There's some really deep, programming level bugs still in there.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Bel Monte posted:

Speaking of, it's probably not surprising with the leak, but we had a number of break away countries, including ones for China, Russia, and the US. The US was actually rather fun for me. :unsmith:

Now that sounds interesting. I'd like to know more about that.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm guessing some standard things like Texas, California, New England

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tuskin38 posted:

I'm guessing some standard things like Texas, California, New England

Deseret.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

There was the confederacy (yes), California, and Texas was a possible add on that never came to be. We also had Quebec!
The USSR had its normal historical break aways, but also Siberia. We honestly weren't sure what to do with them, but I wanted to find political prisoners sent there that would make good politicians. And China had probably the same ones as HOI.

It was fun finding governors and such for all those ahistorical countries.

We also had some interesting Union countries like the East African Union. You could also, if you tried hard enough, remain united as Indonesia. I think. Maybe you had to break off from France as that...

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Bel Monte posted:

We also had Quebec!

Doesn't surprise me, came pretty close over the years.

If the project had not failed, one downside I could see would be the lack of Flag changing like in HOI/V2.

That way there could have been historical flag changes, instead of like, Canada having the Maple leaf through out the whole game.

The Modern Warfare Mod for HOI3 uses the EvW map with a few provinces merged. Weird thing is, that version of the mod with the map came out shortly before the leak IIRC, so the dev must have been a tester or knew someone who was.

From the HOI FB page

quote:

As you might know, we usually overnight sessions in the office to see what the AI does without human intervention. This can result in some quite interesting scenarios.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 22, 2016

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Legionary what now?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Westminster System posted:

Legionary what now?

Belonging to the Iron Guard movement, also referred to as the Legionnaires. Seems they took either over Romania on their own and brought Bulgaria into the fold, or that's just what Axis-aligned Romania/Bulgaria turn into.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

TheMcD posted:

Belonging to the Iron Guard movement, also referred to as the Legionnaires. Seems they took either over Romania on their own and brought Bulgaria into the fold, or that's just what Axis-aligned Romania/Bulgaria turn into.

The closest thing to fascists available in Kaiserreich. This should make implementing them easier.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm confused about how much leeway is going to be allowed by the AI in HoI IV. If I play as the US and sit back and watch Europe will it follow along with how WWII went or will it go off the rails like in so many of the development diaries?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Judging by the counters, it looks as if the Soviets marched all the way to the Rhine in that test game- and yet there's a rump 'Slovak Republic', which doesn't really sound like a Communist name for Slovakia*, and Czechoslovakia itself exists and yet doesn't have any part of Slovakia itself. There's also Yugoslavia in Croatia and Bosnia while a Serbian Republic controls Serbia and Slovenia.

Just how does the AI decide who to release, how much control do they have over their puppets and can they elect to release-puppet only certain portions of a potential country rather than the whole thing? Those are some funky borders and I really want to know how that all worked out.

*e: wait gently caress that's what fascist slovakia was actually called

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 22, 2016

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The map + visual style used to look butt ugly to me, but in that screenshot it looks quite nice. Was it changed recently? I'm not following HOI that closely.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TheMcD posted:

Fun fact: the Iron Guard were so crazy that even the Nazis (and assorted puppets such as Antonescu) were like "okay dude like chill".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Funky Valentine posted:

Fun fact: the Iron Guard were so crazy that even the Nazis (and assorted puppets such as Antonescu) were like "okay dude like chill".

Jesus gently caress that's a brutal read, but worth a read. The last section on their fall is especially brutal. Also their main thing was being anti-jew and anti-communist and their last ditch attempt at relevance was working for the soviets to terrorize anti-communists and help them take over romania. What absolute shits, gently caress ups, and monsters.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Morholt posted:

I like that it's just simple enough that you can reasonably micromanage everything by yourself, and it has enough granularity that every decision becomes important. The game really starts to shine on Normal difficulty and above, since you have more scarcity leading to more interesting decisions each turn.

It's really easy to screw yourself over though. I'd suggest just starting over a few times or looking up a guide until you can reliably get positive income and enough food to feed your workers on normal difficulty, that way you learn to avoid the most common death-spirals.

Yeah I'm on my first real game on Easy (after restarting due to a food death spiral) and it's quite competitive even with all the advantages I'm getting. I think I have to unlearn a lot of my instincts from Civilization, like using my civilian units to build as much poo poo as possible. Very 90s game, in that it provides a bunch of in-game help but you can still shoot yourself in the foot completely.

I am coming to appreciate the need for careful management of critical, scarce resources (early on, lumber and cast iron) and just how fast you need to start loving up the natives. It's a pretty grim game from their perspective -- it's 100% likely that they will be conquered or absorbed "peacefully".

Overall I think the game (Imperialism II) is very much worth playing, if anyone is looking for a 4X with more than a little resemblance to EU and Vicky.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I played a lot of Imperialism 2 back when I was hyped for the original Victoria to come out, it was rather good.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

If a planet/empire has a large minority of another race, is it possible to incite unrest amongst them if certain conditions are met (unhappiness, slavery, segregationism, disenfranchisement, glass ceilings, ...)?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Odobenidae posted:

The map + visual style used to look butt ugly to me, but in that screenshot it looks quite nice. Was it changed recently? I'm not following HOI that closely.

It hass been like that for a while now, maybe a year? Would have to go find a website that has all the screenshots and check the upload date.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

So is PDS going to keep on trucking, simultaneously having teams working at producing content for four games simultaneously, or is CKII development going to be winding down soon?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

new CK2 DD

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/development-diary-2-get-sick-and-die.915089/

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DStecks posted:

So is PDS going to keep on trucking, simultaneously having teams working at producing content for four games simultaneously, or is CKII development going to be winding down soon?
Next CKII expansion will be a slug people invasion, to synergize their franchises.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Well, I'll be the first to say it: Zombie.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DStecks posted:

The people doing development for CKII and EU4 are doing radically different things for those well established games, meanwhile HoI4 and Stellaris are on a similar spot in their development cycle so they may have people moving between them as needed or whatnot. They also have another secret project they are working on, dont they?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Well, I'll be the first to say it: Zombie.

Oh this would be awful. Zombies... I seen it once in a game, once one courtier gets a taste for blood it spreads through the kingdom like wildfire. You know the thing about zombies? They got dull, lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a dolllss eyes. Don't seem like their living at all until they bite you, then those black eyes roll over white, and all you hear is the screaming and the hollaring.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

WWW on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXPP1eiy0AQ

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh yeah, why is Hitler's face covered in shadow now? Is that just for certain versions (like the German one?) or is that how it's always gonna be? It's kinda jarring and if anything draws more attention to him than if it was just another portrait in the same style as the others, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Koramei posted:

Oh yeah, why is Hitler's face covered in shadow now? Is that just for certain versions (like the German one?) or is that how it's always gonna be? It's kinda jarring and if anything draws more attention to him than if it was just another portrait in the same style as the others, I think.

I dunno, but as world tension rises his eyes should begin to glow red in the shadows.