Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mostlygray posted:

Here's Richard Feynman's Minority Report on the Challenger disaster. It's a good read.

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/missions/51-l/docs/rogers-commission/Appendix-F.txt

What Do You Care What Other People Think? by Feynman is a must read. The last third of it goes in depth for his time on the Challenger investigation. It's a fascinating read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

GotLag posted:

8 million pounds of thrust and as many posts about it

You joke, but the rocket test stands out in the desert are massive, enormous, and concrete. I was at Huntsville taking the tour, and the guide was talking about the F-1. Being inquisitive, I asked how they tested 1.5million pounds-of-thrust engines, and he said "we bolted it to 3 million pounds of concrete."

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 22, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pad lock.....no crash bar.....nice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
One of the houses in my neighborhood is getting renovated. They got halfway through putting up new vinyl siding and then stopped for a couple of months, who knows why. The siding already has cracks and a few holes punched in it, presumably from errant tools while they were working on other bits of it.

...kind of glad I decided to use fiber cement instead of vinyl for my own siding needs, now.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hardi is the new vinyl, for sure.

Vinyl makes the people in my neighborhood actively angry.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
How the gently caress...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

packetmantis posted:

How the gently caress...

I'm guessing someone ordered the wrong-length handrail for the ramp on the right, and rather than, you know, get the right length or mayve try to cut and weld that one to fit better, they said "gently caress it."

Fake edit: Actually, now that I look closer, that's not even part of the handrail for the ramp. You can see the blue handrail for the ramp there on the right and it doesn't look like it connects in any way to that...thing. I really want a picture from the other angle to see what's going on there.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I'm thinking an inspector came along and said "a wheelchair could go right down those stairs! Add a handrail"

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by
The handrails are supposed to extend beyond... but not like that. Probably exactly like DrBouvenstein said, too lazy to cut and weld it correctly or order a new one.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Looks like a gate that swings open

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One of the houses in my neighborhood is getting renovated. They got halfway through putting up new vinyl siding and then stopped for a couple of months, who knows why. The siding already has cracks and a few holes punched in it, presumably from errant tools while they were working on other bits of it.

...kind of glad I decided to use fiber cement instead of vinyl for my own siding needs, now.

This is like bizzaro world for me. I've put vinyl up on quite a few houses, and never had any problems like that, but I've handled fiber cement siding now that I'm working in a lumber yard, and that stuff is just miserable to work with. Fragile, heavy, dusty. As long as it isn't around freezing I can throw vinyl around, bend it in a circle, whatever. You just have to avoid the thinner, cheaper lines.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

One Legged Ninja posted:

This is like bizzaro world for me. I've put vinyl up on quite a few houses, and never had any problems like that, but I've handled fiber cement siding now that I'm working in a lumber yard, and that stuff is just miserable to work with. Fragile, heavy, dusty. As long as it isn't around freezing I can throw vinyl around, bend it in a circle, whatever. You just have to avoid the thinner, cheaper lines.

Maybe they just used lovely vinyl. Or maybe they get really angry at hammers, I don't know. It certainly doesn't get down to anywhere near freezing around here.

And yeah, fiber cement's a pain to move around, but once it's on the wall it's not really in any danger of cracking.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Like... Why the gently caress would you think it's ok to have your kids roughhousing right the gently caress next to windows?

Its like those damned stairs all over again

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Like... Why the gently caress would you think it's ok to have your kids roughhousing right the gently caress next to windows?

I was going to say that I didn't think there was glass in the "windows" the guy built, but then I realized that there's plenty of actual, normal windows along the outside wall right next to that rope bridge and "loft".

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I was going to say that I didn't think there was glass in the "windows" the guy built, but then I realized that there's plenty of actual, normal windows along the outside wall right next to that rope bridge and "loft".

Plenty is an understatement, there is more window than wall. Never seen that, as normally people just go for the ultra modern 10ft wide picture window instead.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

wooger posted:

Plenty is an understatement, there is more window than wall. Never seen that, as normally people just go for the ultra modern 10ft wide picture window instead.

Looks like a "sun room" or "florida room" that was enclosed later. In college I lived in a room like this. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I had more room than anyone else in the house though...

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Some people have kids that aren't complete idiots.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I doubt those eyebolts holding the rope bridge are properly designed for live loads and machine threaded with proper backing on the other side of the lumber. Let alone is the lumber adequate to hold say 3-6 kids jumping and running while on the bridge. The loving upper rope on the bridge should be heavier to hold the kids. There are multiple places where the rope looping through down through the boards on the bridge form an "X" shape, where a child could fall and slip their head into the top of the "X" shape and strangle. The loft looks like it is attached with screws with no jack stud or other method supporting the weight. The entrance on to the rope bridge needs jack studs to fully support weight. He wired in electrical work under the loft which is probably as half assed as the rest of the job. Finally, the slide area should have fall protection surrounding the slide.

E:The finish work looks nice though A++

The Gardenator fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 22, 2016

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

good heavens, i couldn't have my precious son Skyler playing next to WINDOWS!!!

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Dude, kid trips over a toy, falls through the window. Kids chase each other over the drawbridge and misjudge the turn, falls through the window. Kids get in a shoving match over who goes down the slide first, falls through the window. Kids have their friends over and decide to do some goofy rear end "ride on my shoulders in the playhouse" poo poo, kid is going through the window.

Have you ever seen kids playing? The last drat thing they're thinking about is being careful.

Also lol, goons: it's not about being next to a window, it's the fact that if a kid trips and falls sideways they've got noting in between them and a pane of goddamned glass except a 6" gap to build up speed. I mean poo poo, I sliced the gently caress out of my wrist when I was younger shutting a door with my hand on the glass instead of on the doorframe. Glass breaks.

30 Goddamned Dicks fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 22, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

What if we secured the children to a sufficiently solid object to prevent them falling out the window?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ashcans posted:

What if we secured the children to a sufficiently solid object to prevent them falling out the window?

Sounds good. Might still be some close shaves though.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dude, kid trips over a toy, falls through the window. Kids chase each other over the drawbridge and misjudge the turn, falls through the window. Kids get in a shoving match over who goes down the slide first, falls through the window. Kids have their friends over and decide to do some goofy rear end "ride on my shoulders in the playhouse" poo poo, kid is going through the window.

Have you ever seen kids playing? The last drat thing they're thinking about is being careful.

Also lol, goons: it's not about being next to a window, it's the fact that if a kid trips and falls sideways they've got noting in between them and a pane of goddamned glass except a 6" gap to build up speed. I mean poo poo, I sliced the gently caress out of my wrist when I was younger shutting a door with my hand on the glass instead of on the doorframe. Glass breaks.

There are floor to ceiling windows on the opposite wall of the room for fucks sake. Better board those up so the little ones don't run through them!!!!!

edit: how dare these parents have MURDERWINDOWS!!!!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Back in MY day we just left our children to do whatever the gently caress they wanted, and look how I turned out! I'm posting badly on Something Awful just like mama would have dreamed if she hadn't fallen through a third-story window.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sylink posted:

Some people have kids that aren't complete idiots.

:goonsay:

The point of safe playground equipment is so when kids are clumsy or exercising poor judgement (as they often do, because their brains are developing) that an accident results in a bonk or bruise, rather than being shredded to ribbons by a broken window.

The guy here is taking no reasonable precautions, and either doesn't understand or doesn't care. It's about the same as saying "you can disable the safety stop on your table saw as long as you don't hire complete idiots" :smug:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The caption on that imgur album is "pretty good for a guy that works at a bank" and I feel like that's all I needed to read to understand it.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

canyoneer posted:

:goonsay:

The point of safe playground equipment is so when kids are clumsy or exercising poor judgement (as they often do, because their brains are developing) that an accident results in a bonk or bruise, rather than being shredded to ribbons by a broken window.

The guy here is taking no reasonable precautions, and either doesn't understand or doesn't care. It's about the same as saying "you can disable the safety stop on your table saw as long as you don't hire complete idiots" :smug:

Its called Darwinism :smugdog:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

Looks like a gate that swings open

Look closer. It's welded to the handrail in the foreground.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

We need to get playhouse guy to hire handrail guy to secure the site against injury

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Something something concrete in the windows.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Quoting these just to make them not be gigantic table-breaking pictures

Slanderer posted:

There are floor to ceiling windows on the opposite wall of the room for fucks sake. Better board those up so the little ones don't run through them!!!!!

edit: how dare these parents have MURDERWINDOWS!!!!

get off your phones :argh:

e. also now that I can see it: I believe what we see here is a pre-existing staircase (center) with a later, added wheelchair ramp (top right). They extended the bar for the wheelchair ramp so that wheelchair users do not have to navigate sidways right next to the stairs. E.g., a sensible safety feature that has the minor drawback of inconveniencing staircase users.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Structurally, there is nothing wrong with this one, but it's still pretty bad...

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

There's also the Venetian blinds.
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/feds-move-protect-kids-window-blind-cord-strangulation-n222411

quote:

Almost every month, on average, another child dies from window cord strangulation, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). These cords are on the commission’s list of the top five “hidden hazards” in the home.

The industry for years has said that voluntary manufacturing standards and its own educational programs were enough to reduce the death toll.

But the government now thinks that may not be enough. The CPSC voted unanimously on Wednesday to start the rulemaking process that could eventually lead to mandatory safety standards for all new window coverings.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kid sinister posted:

Structurally, there is nothing wrong with this one, but it's still pretty bad...

best excuse for deliberate pissing on the floor I've ever seen..

Even a drain..

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

I kind of like this actually, because gently caress those slots in the back.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hey it's safe, those screws are grounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Let me tell you about bus bars