Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Unless it's a major road, most roads won't have a sidewalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Any absolutely great places people in here stayed at in Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka/Hiroshima?

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
Can I pay one of you nerds to buy me a NTSC-J 3ds bundle and some detective conan/taiko no tatsujin/lupin the third games without paying as much as i would through play-asia/the internet? basically you would be a long term import person so i'd prefer it if you lived there

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

Can I pay one of you nerds to buy me a NTSC-J 3ds bundle and some detective conan/taiko no tatsujin/lupin the third games without paying as much as i would through play-asia/the internet? basically you would be a long term import person so i'd prefer it if you lived there

no

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
well it's not like i'm trying to open a business, i just wanna see if i can get a better deal here and hook up a goon with a bit of spending cash in one of the most expensive countries. also your gay.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Busy Bee posted:

ntan1 posted:

no

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Thanks!

So regarding Kyoto - would you guys recommend doing one of the guided bike tours or just getting bikes ourselves and seeing the sites/traversing Kyoto? We're thinking of using half a day for the tour.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Any absolutely great places people in here stayed at in Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka/Hiroshima?

Kyoto: I wanted to stay at JAM sake bar & hostel but no kids allowed. We stayed at Rakuza instead.

Hiroshima: Flex for chill, Hana Hostel for baseball.

Osaka: I always stayed at Chuo business hotel which is ugly and in a drab neighborhood but is v convenient for subway and airport express access.

Tokyo idk I am inaka bumpkin

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The peninsula hotel Tokyo. Yep

DracoArgentum
May 29, 2011

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

Sure, why not.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Qwazes posted:

Is it illegal to ride on the road with a bike in Japan?

Quite the opposite. Last I heard, it's 'illegal' to ride on the sidewalk unless you are carrying a child or are a child yourself. Absolutely everyone ignores that 'rule' as and when they feel like it though, so it's 24/7 chaos.

EDIT:
Actually, looking into it, it's against the rules to ride on the sidewalk unless:
1.) There are signs/markings (e.g. a bike path) specifically indicating that you can.
2.) You are a child, have a child passenger, are over 70 years old or have certain types of physical impairment.
3.) The condition of road/traffic makes it difficult to safely ride on the road (e.g. if roadworks, parked cars, etc. are blocking the left-hand side of the road).

Source: http://www.mlit.go.jp/road/ir/ir-council/bicycle_environ/4pdf/2.pdf

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 22, 2016

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I have yet to see a cop riding on the road instead of the sidewalk in Tokyo, so yeah.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Both are wrong, both are correct. Do whatever is most logical/other people are doing. If a sidewalk is hella crowded and the road is full of parked cars and buses, walking the bike down the sidewalk is an acceptable compromise.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Just cycle on the left side of the road and stare down anyone dumb enough to come from the other direction.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Anyone got their licence converted here? Just wanna know how involved the interview is. I've heard mixed things; either it's pretty hardcore or fairly breezy. Don't need to take the tests because I come from a non poo poo country.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Shibawanko posted:

Just cycle on the left side of the road and stare down anyone dumb enough to come from the other direction.

Most roads are too narrow to accommodate bikers and cars, it's stressful and dangerous for both parties involved. Roads that are big enough to accommodate bikers are guaranteed to have cars parked on the side of the road, forcing people to dangerously weave in and out of traffic.

Bike lanes, when they do exist, are useless because they're just scattered at random and disappear after a few blocks, and are usually too narrow to use safely. Oh, and people just walk in the lanes anyway since it's just a painted part of the sidewalk, usually a part that also runs through bus stops, electricity poles, and trees..

It's a miracle that the cycling culture survives in spite of how bike-unfriendly Tokyo is and that there aren't more fatalities. Unfortunately, most of the PSAs and news reports are directed at cyclists and how dangerous they are. If they really wanted to make a difference, they'd make the PSAs tell people to not walk in the bike lanes and their "safety week" campaigns would focus on stopping and educating people walking in the lanes and aggressively ticketing cars who are parked on the side of the roads.

Or, just invest in some actual cycling infrastructure.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Original_Z posted:

Most roads are too narrow to accommodate bikers and cars, it's stressful and dangerous for both parties involved. Roads that are big enough to accommodate bikers are guaranteed to have cars parked on the side of the road, forcing people to dangerously weave in and out of traffic.

Bike lanes, when they do exist, are useless because they're just scattered at random and disappear after a few blocks, and are usually too narrow to use safely. Oh, and people just walk in the lanes anyway since it's just a painted part of the sidewalk, usually a part that also runs through bus stops, electricity poles, and trees..

It's a miracle that the cycling culture survives in spite of how bike-unfriendly Tokyo is and that there aren't more fatalities. Unfortunately, most of the PSAs and news reports are directed at cyclists and how dangerous they are. If they really wanted to make a difference, they'd make the PSAs tell people to not walk in the bike lanes and their "safety week" campaigns would focus on stopping and educating people walking in the lanes and aggressively ticketing cars who are parked on the side of the roads.

Or, just invest in some actual cycling infrastructure.

I know all of that is true, but there's also a bad habit of just riding on the wrong side. At some point I got tired of moving out of the way of old ladies driving on the right.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Anyone got their licence converted here? Just wanna know how involved the interview is. I've heard mixed things; either it's pretty hardcore or fairly breezy. Don't need to take the tests because I come from a non poo poo country.

Everything I've heard and seen is that you auto fail twice and then magically pass the third time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Phone posted:

Everything I've heard and seen is that you auto fail twice and then magically pass the third time.

That's good to know but I'm not taking any tests.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Kyoto nighttime shrine exploring was super cool and only a little spooky so thanks for that recommendation.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

No idea what interview you're talking about - I converted my license in the last 6 months and it was just: bring paperwork and get told I don't have enough. Bring more paperwork and get told again I don't have enough. Bring all the paperworks, then get my eyes checked and the license printed.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

prompt posted:

No idea what interview you're talking about - I converted my license in the last 6 months and it was just: bring paperwork and get told I don't have enough. Bring more paperwork and get told again I don't have enough. Bring all the paperworks, then get my eyes checked and the license printed.

Ok so you're the other side of the coin. I've heard what you're telling me from some people and others have said they grill you on your driving history. What was the paperwork you missed? I'm sure I've got everything I need...

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Ok so you're the other side of the coin. I've heard what you're telling me from some people and others have said they grill you on your driving history. What was the paperwork you missed? I'm sure I've got everything I need...

Make sure you can prove you lived in the country your license was issued for three months after the date you can prove you got your license. Renewed recently? Make sure you lived three months in wherever after the renewal date, have your previous license, or have some official record of your license status from the government. Being able to prove you've had it for over a year means you won't start out as a "beginner driver" and have to slap that dumb leaf on the front and back of your car.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What the other guy said - proof that I had driven for at least 3 months in the country that issued my license. Canada doesn't stamp entry and exit for citizens, so they couldn't see from my passport that I had spent that time in Canada. Brought them a scan of my diploma and that worked.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hmm...thanks. Any idea on the wait time? When you get there? Something tells me I'll be sitting here a while.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I stayed here, http://dotonbori-h.co.jp/en/ in Osaka. The rooms are small but it's well situated and really cheap. Also thy do free beer/food most nights.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ok I was missing paperwork...something called a juminhyo. I just assumed that my licence, zairyu card and passport all saying I'm from New Zealand would be enough but I guess Japan. :shrug:

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Ok I was missing paperwork...something called a juminhyo. I just assumed that my licence, zairyu card and passport all saying I'm from New Zealand would be enough but I guess Japan. :shrug:

Yeah. You can get that from city hall. I think that's basically a certificate of residence.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Already got. Just waiting on tomorrow.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
The new Hokkaido Shinkansen (Shin Aomori station to Shin Hakodate station) debuts on this Saturday March 26th and I was wondering if there is going to be an event at one of the train stations for the new opening line? I always see on the news a lot of densha otaku hanging out on the platform during events like that. I'm sure there will be one for this opening but I tried looking online but there were no results in English.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
See you goons next week! So excited

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

The new Hokkaido Shinkansen (Shin Aomori station to Shin Hakodate station) debuts on this Saturday March 26th and I was wondering if there is going to be an event at one of the train stations for the new opening line? I always see on the news a lot of densha otaku hanging out on the platform during events like that. I'm sure there will be one for this opening but I tried looking online but there were no results in English.

Just shoot for the first train leaving from Shin Aomori on that day. That station will be a zoo so you should get your fill on way or another.
http://hokkaido-shinkansen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/timetable.pdf

Looks like the first train leaves at 6:28AM. Good luck!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

caberham posted:

Can I go?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

caberham posted:

#wow #whoa

I leave tomorrow

Fuckkkkkkkk

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

#wow #whoa

I leave tomorrow

Fuckkkkkkkk

No goon Kura viewing party? No goon meet all you can eat? No goon activities? NOOOOOOOOOOO

sometimes I think I'm kind of a broken man but it's nice to meet locals and get the lowdown

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nah, I'm going on vacation until April 5th tomorrow from America.

I'm down for meeting up if we're in the same area.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Goon sakura viewing sounds like it'd be fun. Probably.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

Just shoot for the first train leaving from Shin Aomori on that day. That station will be a zoo so you should get your fill on way or another.
http://hokkaido-shinkansen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/timetable.pdf

Looks like the first train leaves at 6:28AM. Good luck!

It seems like that ad is for the Hakodate station? I wonder if I get there before the 6:28 am train there will be an event of some sort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Whoops, you're correct, it's Hakodate not Shin Aomori.

Yes if you can get there before 6:28 and get yourself a 入場券 then you should be able to see the first train depart, along with all the other densha otakus

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 25, 2016