Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
And Hard Ball has a better description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

However, it is not The Best damage spell. You will know The Best damage spell when you see it--and in a couple updates we will! (You will also know The Best buff spell when you see it. Not the most effective, because that's Speed, I'm talking the Best one.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, it's not so much that it was INTENTIONALLY unwinnable, and more that it's an interesting study for game design and chaos theory because relatively subtle changes can make it much more or less difficult to win.
Technically, someone will always win (barring a truly improbable run of die rolls combined with the time limit of life), and since the game is just dice-rolling, the only way the game can be made easier or harder for a specific player is if it changes the (dis)advantage the player has due to their place in the turn rotation. (That said, in a game like this, where players can't interfere with each other, I believe the players who move earlier always have the advantage.)

Not that this has anything to do with Secret of Evermore. I'm just a huge pedant.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FredMSloniker posted:

Technically, someone will always win (barring a truly improbable run of die rolls combined with the time limit of life), and since the game is just dice-rolling, the only way the game can be made easier or harder for a specific player is if it changes the (dis)advantage the player has due to their place in the turn rotation. (That said, in a game like this, where players can't interfere with each other, I believe the players who move earlier always have the advantage.)

Not that this has anything to do with Secret of Evermore. I'm just a huge pedant.

Fair enough. If I'd had my pedant hat on (I left it around here somewhere...) I'd have said length of game rather than difficulty.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I was telling Leave this the other night but I hated the aqueduct maze. I didn't notice the light so I spent about 20+ minutes trying to find the right hole.

Secret of Evermore: I spent about 20+ minutes trying to find the right hole.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

FredMSloniker posted:

You have a citation for that? Because Wikipedia says that (a) the original version was an Indian dice game and (b) it was never made outright unwinnable in its adaptations.

That is the origin I was thinking about, but it's been long that I think I'd conflated the fact that it had more snakes than ladders with it being designed as unwinnable - it was certainly designed to be easier to go backward than to go forward, and there was a moral dimension even with that original version.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, uh... monsters? Monsters from the id?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Rangpur posted:

However, it is not The Best damage spell. You will know The Best damage spell when you see it--and in a couple updates we will! (You will also know The Best buff spell when you see it. Not the most effective, because that's Speed, I'm talking the Best one.)
I love that attack spell. Once I got it I pretty much only used it for the rest of the game.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

It's been a long time since I played this game, but I love the second area. Just everything about it is the best. Especially the predicament you get stuck with right off the bat. It's a prime bit of assholery on the part of the programmers, and I love it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Twelve: Welcome To Crustacia, Where The Punches Are Made Up And The Rogues Don't Matter

Welcome back, everyone! Last time, on Secret of Evermore, we discovered Fire Eyes had an evil twin, who owned a pet rock, and then we beat up said pet. We were then blown out of the volcano and landed in a new place, so let's boogie down and explore.

The funny thing is, that film only featured schooners and they sailed on a lake.

And "Dandy" Don drowned after filming the final scene, so they released the film as a tribute to his memory.

Hey, that's right. Where's our dog?

Well, he's a tough son of a bitch. I'm sure he's fine.

But, he could be close.

Perhaps even in this shipwreck.

This looks like his rough and tumble style, but there's no sign of any wolf-like creatures.

Treasure, you say? I fully support finding these treasures.

...Couldn't I just keep the treasure itself and still be filthy rich? And Nobilia? Where the hell is that?

If you steal my plan, I will hunt you down, hit you with a brick, and tie your shoelaces together.

Was there ever a point in history where calling the strongest guy around Tiny wasn't tired and played out?

Aww, he has no friends. Like a weightlifting goon or something.

But, steady employment! That's good!

...Crustacia? Reminds me of a joke about the difference between a lobster with boobs and a dirty bus station.

One's a crusty bus station, and the other is a busty crustacean.

A guy at work told me that joke the other day. He also told me he's quitting, and I'm eagerly awaiting the day.

Uh, my bad.

Ah, if only all of our priorities were so well in line.

It's still a bright and sunny day, pal. Quit bein' a wuss and go.

I'm looking for my dog. Any treasure I find along the way is purely a bonus.

Yeah, I'm outta here. I don't need that kind of sass.

Also, pots are the new gourds. That one in there contained some Clay.

We heard a lot about the west bank over there. Seems like a solid place to start our search for Zach.

And to meet some new enemies!

Sand Spiders and Rogues are two of the new guys we'll be meeting around here.

Rogues are buckets of health, with 200 a piece. They also drop 100 EXP a piece and 10 Jewels, since Talons are no longer the accepted currency.

The Sand Spider has 74 HP, with 72 EXP and 18 Jewels for a drop.

These two also have pretty good magic defense, so Hard Ball isn't quite as useful as it once was. It's still nice for some quick, long-range damage, but our Horn Spear can do that, too.

And there are still blood pops.

While the Rogue just goddamn explodes. There's no doubt about if York killed a man here.

Well, can't get past that. But, I'm sure we'll be back later.

And that leads out over the water, but with no way to cross. The bridge is also broken halfway across, so we're not going to get over to the west bank proper for a little while yet.

But, maybe we just didn't go high enough to find Zach. He's a dog and they get into all sorts of shenanigans.

Not quite sure why some of the Rouges are so desperate to tear our heads off while others just want to chat, but I'm cool with it.

His items are all stuff we've seen before (Nectar, Biscuits, Pixie Dust), but the Change Money option is new.

There are a couple of other areas we'll be visiting and each has their own currency. As I said above, Jewels are what we use in this area.

Man, we had a lot of Talons. And now we've a lot of Jewels!

Nabbing this reminds me, I should be leveling up Heal. Before long, it'll be stronger than the Nectar.

Thank you, Russel.

As long as it's not the ghost dad, I'm perfectly okay with that.

So, uh, yeah, this ship got the hell wrecked out of it.

Right you are, sir!

We drop the 1,400 Jewels to kit ourselves out in the new gear, which will come in handy.

Because they are definitely hefty upgrades over our previous stuff. Holy smokes.

We jack his Water and move on.

Yeah, you guys are alright. I like the cut of your jib.

If they're anything like the Rogues I already met, I'm not worried about that.

OH MY GOD SHUT UP ABOUT THE TREASURE

AND gently caress OFF I'M FINDING IT TO SPITE ALL OF YOUR HALF-DRESSED ASSES

Yarr, I'll be declining this request, ye scurvy dog.

Twenty Jewels will get you fully topped off, though.

His other pot contains more Water, which I won't turn down.

It's never until you're taking screenshots of what people say that you realize how much they say the same poo poo.

I get the message, game, but it'll be a while before we can get over there. Out of protest, I head into the nearest cave.

For that silly poo poo, I'm taking your Clay and Nectar. I hope a badger eats your man-thong.

This elevator takes us down to the bottom; it'll stay down there, too, so if we need a quick ride back up, we can hop back on.

But for now, before we head on up to the east side, let's take a break.

Next time, we'll see a familiar face, snag a new (and very badass) formula, and do some other stuff, so stay tuned!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Hrm, I wonder if there's treasure to the west....? ;)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Psst Leave, look on the west bank of the river, there might be some treasure there.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

counterfeitsaint posted:

Psst Leave, look on the west bank of the river, there might be some treasure there.

Um, spoilers??

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Leavemywife posted:

Was there ever a point in history where calling the strongest guy around Tiny wasn't tired and played out?

quote:

"Then have I gained a right good man this day," quoth jolly Robin. "What name goest thou by, good fellow?"

"Men call me John Little whence I came," answered the stranger.

Then Will Stutely, who loved a good jest, spoke up. "Nay, fair little stranger," said he, "I like not thy name and fain would I have it otherwise. Little art thou indeed, and small of bone and sinew, therefore shalt thou be christened Little John, and I will be thy godfather."

Then Robin Hood and all his band laughed aloud until the stranger began to grow angry.

"An thou make a jest of me," quoth he to Will Stutely, "thou wilt have sore bones and little pay, and that in short season."

"Nay, good friend," said Robin Hood, "bottle thine anger, for the name fitteth thee well. Little John shall thou be called henceforth, and Little John shall it be. So come, my merry men, we will prepare a christening feast for this fair infant."

So, in other words, no.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if we're going to get an anchor weapon and use it like a zipline on that rope.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Thirteen: Secret of Evermore: Canine Drift

Welcome back! Last time, on Secret of Evermore, we washed up on the shores of Crustacia, and met some of the local Rogues. Today, we're going to explore around a little more, see an old friend, and catch back up with Zach. With that said, let's boogie.

We can't get to the treasure on the west banks, so we're forced to go easts.

Mad Monks are another new enemy; they attack by spinning their staves in front of them, which can inflict Confound, which is this game's version of confusion; it reverses your movement inputs, which is more annoying than anything else. It can also inflict Plague, which is a stronger Poison, dealing a little more than 30 damage every few seconds.

However, Mad Monks are not fans of alchemy.

They've only got 60 HP, by the way, giving 20 EXP and 75 Jewels.

We flash annoyingly when Confounded.

Despite messing with your movement, being Confounded doesn't seem to mess with anything else. You'd think it would tank your evasion or hit rate, since you can't move right.

This is another one of those odd areas that doesn't seem to have anything in it. I didn't find any hidden paths or ingredients here, so...Yeah, just a blank area. If anyone can explain it, I'd love to hear it.

Rogues can take a hell of a hit, can't they?

But, a couple of Hard Balls to the Rogue and to the Mad Monk, Hard Ball hits level 6. I think this is the highest level I've ever gotten an alchemy formula in this game.

Rogues also hit like bastards. They've the highest attack of anything we've met so far, counting the bosses we've fought.

However, using the power of style, we can not only take out both Rogues, but also snag a level up! :krakentoot:

Maybe there's someone friendly in here.

Hey, it's Blimp! And...drat, did you mount Salabog's head on your wall? That's hardcore.

Big washout? Did I miss something? I know the volcano erupted.

Oh, that was a boat. I thought it was an upside down turtle shell. I guess it could still have been. And we didn't exactly use the boat; we just kind of fell into it.

Whatever is in the Mud Peppers apparently give them some sort of floating ability when mixed with water. Which we've already seen, so I don't know why I said that.

Speaking of which, Blimp, have you seen him?

Oh, we're fading to black.

Well, that's a dog alright.

Even better, it's our dog!

I'm going to have to get Explosionface to make us a new :toot: for our new dog.

It seems that we're more in Roman times than Prehistoria. This area is called Antiqua.

: Fix this! Fix that! Never a moment's rest.

Sacred Dogs? Maybe that'll come into play later on. I wouldn't expect it, though. Just some throwaway dialog.

Also, yes, that guy is just a palette swap of a Prehistoria old guy. And Strong Heart. I didn't notice it until making that portrait, and I had the two side by side on a sprite sheet.

I like how the dog runs. Don't judge me.

: My husband complains about the all the work around here. Truth is, I do the work and he does the complaining.

We came out of a fountain; I'm sure our paws are clean.

Now, if that's not a villainous man, I don't know what is.

And he has Caesar on his side, too.

Pompolonius is far too amusing to me.

: I must have the eyes of the Diamond Dog statue.

: But, Sir. The people will not support your actions unless we receive a sign from the Sacred Dog!

: I hate to burst your bubble, Pomp, but the Sacred Dog is a myth. We can't expect for some mystic creature to simply slide into the palace!

And we

pan over

to this.

Goddammit, I love Zach.

And we fade to black again...

"Looks like I'll have to punt you in the ravine. Nice knowin' ya."

If we're finding our dog, perhaps you have something to help us?

That's...Not quite what I was thinking.

Maybe some fancy new weapon?

If nothin' else, you did build the bridge. I suppose that's enough.

Aha! My man!

Crush is going to be in use for a very, very long time.

So we equip it; I'm going to keep Hard Ball around for a little longer, just in case I need some extra alchemy oomph.

We also stock up on what ingredients we can; we've got twenty-five castings of Crush at our disposal now.

Instead of going across the bridge, we go rob Blimp of some Ash and Wax.

And save up, since we're taking a break.

But next time, we'll cross that bridge, a desert, and get a new formula. And maybe other stuff, but you'll have to stay tuned to know for sure!

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

And here it is. I'll leave you to show it off, but Crush is universally acclaimed as the attack Alchemy. 99 casts. A really cool casting animation. Fast, though not instant, so you can stack hits well. One of the cheaper spells in Antiqua. A middle power attack spell that hits hard, scales well, and you are guaranteed to get pretty early on. Unless you deliberately choose not to, you will probably use Crush for the rest of the game, so it'll level up to significantly and end up outdamaging the late game high power attack spells by the time you get them, unless you grind them up to compete. The handful of enemies a high level Hard Ball won't one shot, Crush will. It's a good idea to keep them both on your spell ring, so you can efficiently pick which one will hit hard enough for the enemy you are targeting, and have up to 198 attack Alchemy casts up your sleeve, which is a lot of ammunition in this game. As we can see with the Mad Monk, many annoying enemies are weak to Alchemy and high level Hard Balls clears them up just fine, so you can save Crush for the more resistant enemies like Rogues. Its only weakness besides discouraging players from experimenting with other attack spells is that there are a few areas of the game where Limestone can be hard to come by so you may need to ration casts until you can refill your ingredients, but Blimp is an easily accessible ingredient merchant for much of the game so keeping stocked up is easy most of the time.

As for those screens you are coming across that don't have ingredients or seem to do anything-- they serve a purpose later in the game.

Broken Box fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 24, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I should probably level up my Alchemy before I go much further.

I'd imagine that this island/dimension/continent/whatever this is has the most hosed up geography this side of [insert RPG of choice here]

MikeyLenetia
Apr 27, 2015

Smashy~?
Broken Box wound up saying what I would've about the empty areas. Otherwise, just popping in to say I love this game and am happy to see it getting some much-deserved love. ^_^

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
You didn't use crush before ending the update.

you loving tease

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

You didn't use crush before ending the update.

you loving tease

http://i.imgur.com/4Sfavvm.gifv

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, civilization has progressed far enough for people to create armies and conquer other lands! That's what progress does, right?

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Yeah, Leave, the empty areas you stumble upon from time to time will have their purposes made clear by the time you reach late game. That said, I do agree that they could have done with one or two things lying around like there are in the rest of the game.

Also, what I am looking forward to most is less Crush and more the exploration in the upcoming open-market madhouse.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Yep, Crush kind of shows that Alchemy is not that well-implemented. I love the Alchemy system, but the fact that Crush is the most viable attack formula for so long makes leveling up the other formulas into a bit of a chore.

That said, Antiqua is my favorite area in the game and greyhound!Zach rules.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I find Alchemy better implemented than the rest of the combat system.
Anyway, Crush is great, it's the first formula you get where it has enough raw power to have what seems to be exponential growth in terms of damage (really it's just growing stronger than enemies Mdef can keep up.)

Or to put it in better terms, Crush is the 5th strongest attack formula in the game and you can stock 99 casts of it. Use it, you will not regret it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You chalk up your hands so you can get a really good grip on your enemies in order to crush them?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
By the by, I am still thinking of science ways to explain Alchemy stuff, but of course there's little possibility with "giant crushing fist lol".

I've always liked this chapter's intro. Not too fond of what follows, but it's certainly...unique.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This was my favorite section of the game too. Greyhounds are sleek and awesome dogs.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

counterfeitsaint posted:

This was my favorite section of the game too. Greyhounds are sleek and awesome dogs.

Greyhounds are ok.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

By the by, I am still thinking of science ways to explain Alchemy stuff, but of course there's little possibility with "giant crushing fist lol".

I've always liked this chapter's intro. Not too fond of what follows, but it's certainly...unique.

I've got nothing. Limestone has a ton of applications, but none that even remotely seem like they could do damage to someone. Other than it being a very heavy and readily available mate... oh for fucks sake, you're dropping a stone fist on their heads.

Dunno how the wax fits into it. Beeswax and a swarm of bees are carrying the fist?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

This is another one of those odd areas that doesn't seem to have anything in it. I didn't find any hidden paths or ingredients here, so...Yeah, just a blank area. If anyone can explain it, I'd love to hear it.

When you get your own, um "personal transportation" way WAY later in the game, it drops you off here IIRC. The open space is just so that there's plenty of room to put the sprite for your transport. That said, I can't explain why they wouldn't put in like one pot or some hidden ingredients or whatever just so it doesn't feel totally abandoned.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Crush is probably the most satisfying spell to use. Nothing's more hardcore than dropping a huge rear end stone fist on your foes. :black101:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Oh yeah, here's the OST if no one has listened to it.

A lot of the soundtrack is ambience, which is kinda interesting but gets really samey in parts of the game when you're grinding or get lost or whatever. Titles can describe areas however just FYI if you want to just watch the game play out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVcr7yQ9qbY

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Fabricated posted:

Oh yeah, here's the OST if no one has listened to it.

A lot of the soundtrack is ambience, which is kinda interesting but gets really samey in parts of the game when you're grinding or get lost or whatever. Titles can describe areas however just FYI if you want to just watch the game play out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVcr7yQ9qbY
Too much of the soundtrack is ambience, and what's there is...middling, in my opinion. There's still a handful of stand-out tracks, though, and those tend to be very good. In particular, the upcoming areas. The next act has a good portion of the game's actual music, and among them is my 2nd favorite in the game. I also liked Fire Eyes' theme, and there's another major character coming up who also has a sweet tune. But above all of those, the final boss song is fantastic, setting the stage for a brutal, desperate battle. I'd consider it average at best, but it's an excellent score to kick off a career with. Plenty of experienced musicians and industry veterans have produced far worse with more resources.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Seiren posted:

Too much of the soundtrack is ambience, and what's there is...middling, in my opinion. There's still a handful of stand-out tracks, though, and those tend to be very good. In particular, the upcoming areas. The next act has a good portion of the game's actual music, and among them is my 2nd favorite in the game. I also liked Fire Eyes' theme, and there's another major character coming up who also has a sweet tune. But above all of those, the final boss song is fantastic, setting the stage for a brutal, desperate battle. I'd consider it average at best, but it's an excellent score to kick off a career with. Plenty of experienced musicians and industry veterans have produced far worse with more resources.
The ambience is really well done but yeah there's way too much of it.

The soundtrack in general is really moody/downbeat given the tone of the game.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Jeremy Soule originally had much bigger ambitions for the Evermore OST, but the limitations of the game's sound chip forced him to resort to a lot of ambience for most of the game's areas.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
Just found and blitzed the thread, nostalgia nostalgia hnnngh etc etc

When I first acquired a copy of this game way back when, it still had save data from previous owners. One of them had named the protag "Mr. Miyagi." The reference blew right by me but he was really high level so I was compelled to leave it alone.

As for the music, apparently the official soundtrack includes proper orchestral versions of select pieces, this one being my favorite.

On that note, I might as well plug my favorite remix.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Greyhounds are sleek and awesome dogs.

The sticky-up ears make me think it's meant to be an Ibizan hound or something along those lines:

a goode dogge

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

megane posted:

The sticky-up ears make me think it's meant to be an Ibizan hound or something along those lines:

a goode dogge

That is an even awesomer doggie. I think in game it's supposed to be whatever sort of dogs were in ancient Egyptians, considering the rest of the theme.

When I was a kid, my friend's dad has a miniature greyhound, and I thought it was the best dog ever. It was the size of a cat, and it acted the way my 8yo brain thought a cat should act, playful and excitable and friendly, instead of smug and diametrically opposed to being petted by small children like actual cats. He even trained it to jump up into his arms on command, which is pretty impressive for something that tiny. Ever since then I've been fond of greyhounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I'd do an update today, but my wedding reception is today, so don't expect it. Maybe tomorrow, even though it's Easter.

In any case, Happy Easter, everyone!

• Locked thread