Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

the trump tutelage posted:

Are there any good sci-fi books that take place at a time when humans have colonized the solar system but haven't yet spread beyond it?

The Expanse series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Are there any good sci-fi books that take place at a time when humans have colonized the solar system but haven't yet spread beyond it?

Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312 (and he sort of gets there with the Mars Trilogy, I guess). Also seconding The Expanse series, as mentioned above

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

against a dark background, with the caveat that it's a fictional solar system.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Solitair posted:

Butler herself kept Survivor from being reprinted with the other Patternmaster books because she became ashamed of its basic premise. Here's a review with more details. You can probably make up your mind about it with that.

Cool, thanks. I just finished Patternmaster and will probably leave it there. It's almost a shame I found Wild Seed the best in the series, because it made every other one a bit of a let down.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Expanse, although some goons will fight you to prove how much they hate having Holden Cauffield as the ship captain because someone being a knee-jerk idealist goonlord really, really upsets them.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

"The Quiet War" by Paul McCauley fits that description. It starts a bit slow and has a bit to much biology infodumping but it really picks up about 1/4 way in.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

the quantum thief and its sequels by hannu rajaniemi

the golden age series by john c wright

both are very dense with cool sci-fi ideas and flights of imagination and imagery. cool stuff. they're quite far in the future, if that makes a difference.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Friends don't let friends read John C. Wright.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

Friends don't let friends read John C. Wright.

He's crazy, but his books ain't bad. And The Golden Age was written before he went really crazy.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

He's always been crazy, The Golden Age is Randian ubermench "A is A" bullshit written during his militant atheism phase, he made a 180° turn to militant Catholicism almost immediately after the trilogy was published

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
*shrug*

Still a decent read, though.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

johnsonrod posted:

"The Quiet War" by Paul McCauley fits that description. It starts a bit slow and has a bit to much biology infodumping but it really picks up about 1/4 way in.

I remember this now. This is the one where the one PoV woman terraforms a place, then has to flee because of a military 'intervention' by 'her' side and falls in with the (now former) locals. Then she helps terraform the colony they land at, before they have to flee from another invasion, at which point she and her new cast of rejects go on to terraform yet another new home. Then in the sequel, she terraforms like five more goddamn habitats, each time because she had to flee from the last one before someone came and shot them.

Highly recommended if you can't get enough of someone terraforming yet another hollowed-out comet because, hey, it's Tuesday, time to throw everything back in the space pod, move to an even more isolated rear end-end corner of the solar system than before, and slather vacuum organism cultures all over everything then spend twenty pages watching them grow.

(It fits the criteria, sure, but by the sixth repetition of the same basic plot element i really wished he would just get the hell on with it. :v:)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

He's always been crazy, The Golden Age is Randian ubermench "A is A" bullshit written during his militant atheism phase, he made a 180° turn to militant Catholicism almost immediately after the trilogy was published

Militant Catholicism is chill and much more interesting than whatever most sc fi writers believe in all day long

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
John c wright is the opposite of chill and his books are flaming poo poo heaps to boot

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Neurosis posted:

the quantum thief and its sequels by hannu rajaniemi

I was going to recommend this one as well.

Really, I'll take any chance to recommend The Quantum Thief.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Solitair posted:

Butler herself kept Survivor from being reprinted with the other Patternmaster books because she became ashamed of its basic premise. Here's a review with more details. You can probably make up your mind about it with that.

That is poor. I guess it just reinforces the fact that even the great authors can still lay a wet one from time to time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

andrew smash posted:

John c wright is the opposite of chill and his books are flaming poo poo heaps to boot
He's a total rear end in a top hat but I did really enjoy the Golden Age trilogy. Would never touch the rest of his stuff and wouldn't recommend it without reservations, but parts of it - like the AIs and Marshal Atkins - were a very good settnig.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

XBenedict posted:

That is poor. I guess it just reinforces the fact that even the great authors can still lay a wet one from time to time.

In Octavia Butler's case, the Patternist series is her earliest long-form work, and they were also published out of order. Patternmaster was the first, and the most by-the-numbers SFF story of the bunch, almost like she was working to get approval by the establishment before bringing in her own POV. Mind of my Mind was the second, and it's kind of weak. Survivor was the third. Then she took a break from it to write Kindred, where she definitely found her stride, and wrote Wild Seed directly after—and you can tell. It's amazing. Clay's Ark, being the last, seems like she'd grown sick of the series by then, but wanted to humanize the Clayarks, for the record. It's makes reading them in order jarring though, because they're treated like beasts in Patternmaster, ruthlesly slaughtered with little thought by the main characters, retrocactively making the characters you're supposed to sympathize with even more monstrous. The whole series suffers from that, such as Emma/Anyanwu being carelessly cast aside in Mind of my Mind after being such a beautifully fleshed out character in Wild Seed.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

A human heart posted:

Militant Catholicism is chill and much more interesting than whatever most sc fi writers believe in all day long

You might expect that, but Wright is somehow more obnoxious now than he was as an Objectivist.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Silver2195 posted:

You might expect that, but Wright is somehow more obnoxious now than he was as an Objectivist.

Really high quality Catholic writing wrestles with the meaning of faith and doubt in an intellectually tough way -- see The Swallow for an example in SF, or Graham Greene for a more literary take.

From what I've seen of Wright he just had a religious vision after a seizure and now is as militantly obnoxious as any Internet athiest, just with religion. There's no doubt or complexity, just Faith Or Else.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

John Varley's Eight Worlds series.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Rabid Puppies 4's slate is out: http://file770.com/?p=28115

quote:

BEST SHORT STORY

Asymmetrical Warfare, S. R. Algernon, Nature Nr. 519
Seven Kill Tiger, Charles Shao, There Will Be War Vol. X, Castalia House
The Commuter, Thomas Mays, Amazon Digital Services
If You Were an Award, My Love, Juan Tabo and S. Harris, Vox Popoli
Space Raptor Butt Invasion, Chuck Tingle, Amazon Digital Services

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I remember "Bloom" by Wil McCarthy as being pretty good, at least by the standards of "hard sf".

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

quote:

Space Raptor Butt Invasion, Chuck Tingle, Amazon Digital Services

That's it, I'm done. *flips table*

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He's a total rear end in a top hat but I did really enjoy the Golden Age trilogy. Would never touch the rest of his stuff and wouldn't recommend it without reservations, but parts of it - like the AIs and Marshal Atkins - were a very good settnig.

While I agree with you on what Wright is like as a person, I'd strongly recommend his Count to a Trillion series, if you enjoyed The Golden Age. It's more ludicrously imaginative sci-fi with some really cool imagery. Humans discover some big dumb object in space which has scientific knowledge on it. Decrypting it signals to some alien hegemony that a civilisation has achieved a sufficient amount of complexity to warrant being enslaved. The protagonist wants to fight the hegemony, while the rest of the crew want to serve as honoured slaves. They return to Earth and take over. The next several thousand years is the crew, now posthuman, warring over which image of humanity should prevail in anticipation of the arrival of the aliens, with them remaking humanity into utterly fantastic new versions century by century. Really fun stuff. Has some eye-rolling Catholic bullshit here and there but it doesn't overwhelm the work.

City on the Edge of Forever, about a society made up of time travellers, is a decent read as well - 4 or maybe 5 short stories in there, I think. His Awake in the Night Land collection is also really good if you've read William Hope Hodgson's Night Land book, or the James Stoddard rewrite, except for maybe the last story which arguably is too distinctly Christian (although ironically it was written when he was an atheist), and requires you to have read or at least be familiar with House on the Borderlands.

I wouldn't touch any of his fantasy stuff, though. The War of the Dreaming is tolerable and kind of funny at times but Orphans of Chaos is shiiiiiiiit.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

A human heart posted:

Go read his essay on Terry Pratchett and assisted suicide and report back to us with your thoughts.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Rendezvous with Rama?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

fritz posted:

I remember "Bloom" by Wil McCarthy as being pretty good, at least by the standards of "hard sf".

Now that you mention McCarthy, To Crush the Moon and The Collapsium are both intrasolar hard SF.

Also CJ Cherryh, Heavy Time

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hello sir, have you read Schismatrix?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

occamsnailfile posted:

Heavy Time (and its immediate sequel Hellburner; these days they're often sold as an omnibus called Devil to the Belt) are both set entirely in the solar system, but well after humanity has colonized other systems; Hellburner in particular is about the weapons development program as the Earth government gears up for the imminent war with the distant colonies that reject its authority.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

occamsnailfile posted:

Now that you mention McCarthy, To Crush the Moon and The Collapsium are both intrasolar hard SF.

That's true, but I didn't mention them because I didn't think they were very good.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

The Owner series by Asher :can:

coyo7e posted:

The Expanse, although some goons will fight you to prove how much they hate having Holden Cauffield as the ship captain because someone being a knee-jerk idealist goonlord really, really upsets them.

More that he is boring as gently caress.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

Heavy Time (and its immediate sequel Hellburner; these days they're often sold as an omnibus called Devil to the Belt) are both set entirely in the solar system, but well after humanity has colonized other systems; Hellburner in particular is about the weapons development program as the Earth government gears up for the imminent war with the distant colonies that reject its authority.

I never read Hellburner, but I had forgotten entirely about the extrasolar colonization things. It's been quite a while since I read it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Too much like looking in a mirror

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

More that he is boring as gently caress.
That and he very rarely gets called out on how stupid he's acting. When it happens it's great though.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Go read his essay on Terry Pratchett and assisted suicide and report back to us with your thoughts.

Why would I want to do that

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

occamsnailfile posted:

Yup, but the society depicted in Heavy Time is interstellar. It belongs to the Alliance-Union universe, and it is probably the firts story in cronological order.

Also the immediate sequel, Hellburner, will give a boner to any hard space SF nerd.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There's one or two Revelation Space short stories that are pre-interstellar travel and are pretty great. They're both in Galactic North.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A human heart posted:

Why would I want to do that

Because you're the one saying he's chill as gently caress and it's all cool.