Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

germskr posted:

Not sure if they do this for dependents but doesn't ID office require biometric scanning to confirm? It's better than a photo.

The did biometric scans on my wife and son when we showed up here in Japan. I've not ever been on a navy base before so this was the first time they'd been to RAPIDs or whatever it's called.

If the biometric thing is standard at all bases, they should be able to take a fingerprint or something to prove she is who she says she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They've done it at the four bases I've had to do ID card poo poo at since 2004.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

My battalions policy is e8 and below and o3 and below require libbo buddies. So that's like eight people who can go out on their own. Makes sense

Man even when I got here in 2013 it was only E4 and below need it after 9pm, which sometime in 2014 changed to no buddy period if you're permanently stationed here and extending the curfew an hour. But that's just the big USFJ policy.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
One week into deployment and my battalion already has an ARI on Okinawa. Bravo Zulu Seabees

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

maffew buildings posted:

One week into deployment and my battalion already has an ARI on Okinawa. Bravo Zulu Seabees

o7

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Ran into an actual human at the id card office that bent some rules enough that they allowed her documents already scanned into deers validate identification.

Even though her social security card was still technically in her maiden name.

Weird when you find competent people with some common sense working in government offices.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Laranzu posted:

Ran into an actual human at the id card office that bent some rules enough that they allowed her documents already scanned into deers validate identification.

Weird when you find competent people with some common sense working in government offices.

Pics or it didn't happen.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Laranzu posted:

Except that your wife will probably get arrested at the airport trying to go home. She's on the no-fly list now.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

poopkitty posted:

Except that your wife will probably get arrested at the airport trying to go home. She's on the no-fly list now.

Nah not brown enough =P

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Laranzu posted:

Nah not brown enough =P

PSD will find a way, they always find a way.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

loving PSD giving you PTSD over them losing/misfiling your poo poo.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

From a few years back

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Oops!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What is up with that superstructure/wind sail? Is that some sort of concealment for coming into port or actually just made that way?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Kinda looks like the Tyvek they wrap around everything when you're doing shipyard work.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hogmartin posted:

Kinda looks like the Tyvek they wrap around everything when you're doing shipyard work.

Kinda makes it look like a giant wang poised proudly in the wind. Not such a bad look I guess.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

What is up with that superstructure/wind sail? Is that some sort of concealment for coming into port or actually just made that way?

That ship has scaffolding and wrapping just like if they were in the shipyard or similar.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LingcodKilla posted:

That's a ship that's in the yards. It's completely OOC and is wrapped up because they're doing work on the superstructure. Someone hosed up with securing the ship and it's helpless out there without tugs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Those are gonna be some unhappy OOD/CDOs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's a few years old from what he said, so everything has already sorted itself out.

I wonder how much poo poo people got from outside. How many phone calls/fun jabs do you think the skipper/cmc/xo etc got that "hey, heard you got underway last night"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm just a stoopid boot especially with dockyard stuff (and always hope to be).

Thanks for some info.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm just a stoopid boot especially with dockyard stuff (and always hope to be).

Thanks for some info.

Head down to your nearest naval base and head over to the shipyard area and you'll surely see a ship or two bundled up in a similar fashion.

The difference is they'll be better secured to the pier. If there's a potential for break away like happened in the pictures above, they'll usually have some sort of heavier duty lines or even some wire rope to keep from moving.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
In my experience they're usually secured by more than one line. Also that poo poo looks thinner than the stuff we used in bootcamp linehandling and also literally every ship I've seen.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Head down to your nearest naval base and head over to the shipyard area and you'll surely see a ship or two bundled up in a similar fashion.

The difference is they'll be better secured to the pier. If there's a potential for break away like happened in the pictures above, they'll usually have some sort of heavier duty lines or even some wire rope to keep from moving.

I'm currently half way between Bremerton and San Diego so ...

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm currently half way between Bremerton and San Diego so ...

Come to San Diego. We have nice weather.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just got informed I got AT in Hawaii this may.

:confuoot:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

Just got informed I got AT in Hawaii this may.

:confuoot:

You can be a mahoo too

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Is that Hawaiian for stupid loving tourist? Because I should have one free weekend and totally plan to do that.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Yes. Ask around base for the best place for mahoos to go.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

ded posted:

Yes. Ask around base the friendly dragon ladies at the NEX or Commissary for the best place for mahoos to go.

They may even have a cousin or something for you to marry.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm old as dirt. All I want to do is go get stamps for my national parks passport book and perhaps an off shore fishing trip.

If I just wanted to get drunk and shag a whore I'd just stay back in the states with your guys moms.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Don't even think Oahu has a national park.

So go find more mahoo to hang with.

I would show you around the place but I'm tad forever

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Filipinos are like basically Hawaiians right?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Laranzu posted:

Don't even think Oahu has a national park.

So go find more mahoo to hang with.

I would show you around the place but I'm tad forever

Arizona memorial is a national monument.

Also yes, you should definitely ask around for the mahu hangouts.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

Arizona memorial is a national monument.

Also yes, you should definitely ask around for the mahu hangouts.

Welp that's the one. Now I feel stupid

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I've been there before but I didn't get a stamp. Maybe I'll go visit the air field my wife's grandfather was at on the attack.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

They pretend they are

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

I've been there before but I didn't get a stamp. Maybe I'll go visit the air field my wife's grandfather was at on the attack.

If it was Dillingham Air Base / Mokuleia Airstrip then visit it by going skydiving or get a ride in a glider. Also great windsurfing across the street and a hike right behind the control tower.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I've heard the reference "Mexicans of the Pacific"

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Laranzu posted:

If it was Dillingham Air Base / Mokuleia Airstrip then visit it by going skydiving or get a ride in a glider. Also great windsurfing across the street and a hike right behind the control tower.

I've heard the reference "Mexicans of the Pacific"

Have done skydiving at Dillingham, and it was epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

They pretend they are

lol yeah it's pretty hilarious

"Hey bruh slow down this ain't the mainland get off my island"

"...aren't you like Filipino and 10% Japanese?"

• Locked thread