Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
The basic question one has to ask is this: did austerity do nothing, or did it make things worse (since the general consensus is that it didn't do much good at all).

And yeah, it did make things worse for the sake of politicians pretending that they're doing something about Greece. It'd, honestly, probably be better if they just did nothing and rethought the Eurozone instead, to try and keep this from happening again in the future. As it is, another Greece is more than possible since they didn't do that and instead chanted 'austerity'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CrazyLoon posted:

The basic question one has to ask is this: did austerity do nothing, or did it make things worse (since the general consensus is that it didn't do much good at all).

And yeah, it did make things worse for the sake of politicians pretending that they're doing something about Greece. It'd, honestly, probably be better if they just did nothing.

Pretty much this. We already know austerity will do zilch to actually resolve the situation. Doing nothing will do about the same. Might as well do nothing that make it obvious there's nothing to do by doing something that is probably even less effective than nothing.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Not again...

https://twitter.com/Muschelschloss/status/712178420613062656

"only" injured reported so far, hopefully that won't change.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Muslim bombing?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://twitter.com/LaurieHanna/status/712183238916218880

There goes the hope no one died. RIP.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 22, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

shrike82 posted:

Muslim bombing?
Definitely Flemish separatists.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
well that's hosed up.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Hopefully this will spur needed changes with the refugees

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011

I'm seeing at least 11 dead on Twitter, NBC saying "several."

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
:nsfw: https://twitter.com/AAhronheim/status/712179940788195328 :nsfw:

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 22, 2016

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
There are reports of another explosion in downtown Brussels, near governmental buildings

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 22, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Well, given what we learned about Molenbeek something like this was probably to be expected, with all cells connected to Abdusalam springing into action asap because they fear that their cover is going to get blown.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Fragrag posted:

There are reports of another explosion in downtown Brussels, near governmental buildings

Dutch news is saying metrostation.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

They've shut down the entire metro network

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/martinmichelot/status/712193673526644736

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

gently caress thats my metrostop. Hope my colleaugues are all fine.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so
Whole country has been put on the highest alert level, metro is being shut down (and looks like the trains are coming to a halt too)

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Hopefully all Brusselsgoons are safe.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Interesting fact I just learned: Belgium has an agreement with Saudi Arabia since over 30 years to allow Wahhabist preachers to be active in Belgium to get cheaper oil.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

Interesting fact I just learned: Belgium has an agreement with Saudi Arabia since over 30 years to allow Wahhabist preachers to be active in Belgium to get cheaper oil.

Got a source on this?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

shrike82 posted:

Got a source on this?

http://www.dw.com/en/brussels-great-mosque-and-ties-with-salafism/a-18866998

quote:

Belgium's pact with the Saudi king
Critical media reports, however, stand in stark contrast to the positive self-representation of the Islamic Center. Just days before the Paris attacks, the French daily newspaper "Libération" wrote, "For thirty years, the Great Mosque of Brussels has been an active Salafist refuge, offering fertile soil for their networks to grow."
The paper quoted Islam expert Michel Privot of the European Network Against Racism: "Salafist sentiments are solidly anchored in the minds of Muslims in the Belgian capital." The phenomenon, he says, can be traced back to Saudi Arabia's missionary zeal in Brussels. "Belgian authorities have been playing with fire (regarding this issue) for 30 years."
The Great Mosque of Brussels is financed by the Muslim World League, which receives most of its money from the Saudi Arabian government. The story of the mosque began in 1967, when Belgium's state coffers were empty and the nation was looking for access to cheap oil.

This motivated Belgium's King Baudoin to cut a deal with Saudi Arabia's King Faisal Ibn Abd al-Aziz al-Saud: In exchange for cheap oil, Baudoin gave the Saudis a 99-year lease on the former Oriental Pavilion from the 1880 National Exhibition in Brussels, situated in Cinquantenaire Park.
At the same time, the Belgians allowed their Saudi friends to train Muslim Imams to preach to the growing numbers of African and Maghrebi immigrants coming into the country. It gave the House of Saud carte blanche to spread the message of Salafism.Belgium's pact with the Saudi king
Critical media reports, however, stand in stark contrast to the positive self-representation of the Islamic Center. Just days before the Paris attacks, the French daily newspaper "Libération" wrote, "For thirty years, the Great Mosque of Brussels has been an active Salafist refuge, offering fertile soil for their networks to grow."
The paper quoted Islam expert Michel Privot of the European Network Against Racism: "Salafist sentiments are solidly anchored in the minds of Muslims in the Belgian capital." The phenomenon, he says, can be traced back to Saudi Arabia's missionary zeal in Brussels. "Belgian authorities have been playing with fire (regarding this issue) for 30 years."

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 22, 2016

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
"For years, the official representative body of Belgian mosques, the Muslim Executive in Belgium, has felt that it has been forced to go on the offensive because of the Great Mosque of Brussels. The council intends to reorganize itself by the end of the year in order to counter the Saudi Arabia-controlled mosque."

Did this happen?

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Awesome, news saying that a kalashnikov rifle has been found. This will give the EU gun ban new steam to gently caress over legal hobbyists, even though the terrorists in Europe have had pretty much illegal weapons only.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

punakone posted:

Awesome, news saying that a kalashnikov rifle has been found. This will give the EU gun ban new steam to gently caress over legal hobbyists, even though the terrorists in Europe have had pretty much illegal weapons only.

......glad you found your source of displeasure from all this.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

......glad you found your source of displeasure from all this.

My source of displeasure is that this type of thing happening is even possible in Europe, let alone in the capital of EU. We need to do more back here and abroad that radicalized muslims dont attack people and muslims dont become radicalized. I also dont like that this will be utilized to curb my freedom and restrict my country's ability to conduct self-defense, it must be nice to be rich enough and far away enough from the Russian border to be able to run down your military but Finnish reservists training use mostly self-owned semi-automatic guns and keeping a capable reserve is in the best interest of Finnish defense.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

punakone posted:

My source of displeasure is that this type of thing happening is even possible in Europe, let alone in the capital of EU. We need to do more back here and abroad that radicalized muslims dont attack people and muslims dont become radicalized. I also dont like that this will be utilized to curb my freedom and restrict my country's ability to conduct self-defense, it must be nice to be rich enough and far away enough from the Russian border to be able to run down your military but Finnish reservists training use mostly self-owned semi-automatic guns and keeping a capable reserve is in the best interest of Finnish defense.

Do you have any reason to believe that would happen or are you just nitpicking a national tragedy to bemoan your gun rights, let alone that you think a small militia with self provided weapons would even cause the Russians to flinch.

I don't think you are going to get a chance to relive the Winter War.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Do you have any reason to believe that would happen or are you just nitpicking a national tragedy to bemoan your gun rights, let alone that you think a small militia with self provided weapons would even cause the Russians to flinch.

I don't think you are going to get a chance to relive the Winter War.

Following the EU gun ban process, yes, absolutely this will be used, just like the arrests days before we're used. The whole process has been locked due to opposition by countries like Finland and others, and the compromise suggested by the chairman country Netherlands was to ban something, anything, just decide on what to ban, nothing that is based on facts or actual research, just fear and feelings. Besides that, the Finnish constitutional court has already declared earlier when we had our school shootings which led to tightening of gun laws here, that there is no need to tighten them further. And I am just going to laugh at your remark of a small militia, maybe do some research first, or do you consider an army of 230 000 active reservists plus non-active and second tier conscripts to be small? I do not look for a chance to relive Winter War, it is about deterring it, hth.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

punakone posted:

Following the EU gun ban process, yes, absolutely this will be used, just like the arrests days before we're used. The whole process has been locked due to opposition by countries like Finland and others, and the compromise suggested by the chairman country Netherlands was to ban something, anything, just decide on what to ban, nothing that is based on facts or actual research, just fear and feelings. Besides that, the Finnish constitutional court has already declared earlier when we had our school shootings which led to tightening of gun laws here, that there is no need to tighten them further. And I am just going to laugh at your remark of a small militia, maybe do some research first, or do you consider an army of 230 000 active reservists plus non-active and second tier conscripts to be small? I do not look for a chance to relive Winter War, it is about deterring it, hth.

230,000 active reservists versus 740k active Russian military and 2 million reservists.

Small potatoes dude. And they come armed with actual military weapons, not whatever AK they could scrounge up.

But at the end of the day: They are not coming, and here you are whining about your loss of gun rights over a terrorist attack. Its not the time, and its not appropriate.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GaussianCopula posted:

Brussels, international capital of good ideas.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

230,000 active reservists versus 740k active Russian military and 2 million reservists.

Small potatoes dude. And they come armed with actual military weapons, not whatever AK they could scrounge up.

But at the end of the day: They are not coming, and here you are whining about your loss of gun rights over a terrorist attack. Its not the time, and its not appropriate.

You are right, they are not coming, you are almost there understanding my point, why they are not coming, yet you miss, I will give you a hint: it is something to do with the defense forces and their training. But it is alright. And true, in the end bemoaning the gun rights is probably useless, as the ban, even though they will use these attacks, that used illegal guns, as a fuel against legal gun owners, will probably not go through, as it seems most countries are against it and the next EU chair country is also opposing it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

punakone posted:

And here I thought NRA-style idiots who stand on top of the dead to cry about gun control was a distinctive american phenomenon, and this is not even after a mass shooting. Please take this poo poo to either another place, or another time, not here and now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

punakone posted:

You are right, they are not coming, you are almost there understanding my point, why they are not coming, yet you miss, I will give you a hint: it is something to do with the defense forces and their training. But it is alright. And true, in the end bemoaning the gun rights is probably useless, as the ban, even though they will use these attacks, that used illegal guns, as a fuel against legal gun owners, will probably not go through, as it seems most countries are against it and the next EU chair country is also opposing it.

HAHA. Got it. Finland is key to holding back the Ruskies. Thank goodness your gun rights stop the hun.

Please, stop. You're :qq:'ing over your gun right while other people have lost their lives is petty and disturbing. Give it a couple days before you choose focusing on them finding an AK before you throw your hands in the air and declare all is lost for your precious gun rights.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

HAHA. Got it. Finland is key to holding back the Ruskies. Thank goodness your gun rights stop the hun.

Please, stop. You're :qq:'ing over your gun right while other people have lost their lives is petty and disturbing. Give it a couple days before you choose focusing on them finding an AK before you throw your hands in the air and declare all is lost for your precious gun rights.

You still dont understand, it is okay, I see it is rather useless to try to explain it to you either.

YF-23 posted:

And here I thought NRA-style idiots who stand on top of the dead to cry about gun control was a distinctive american phenomenon, and this is not even after a mass shooting. Please take this poo poo to either another place, or another time, not here and now.

I am sorry, I thought it was okay when inside the EU parliament the speakers were telling the MEPs that those EVIL KALASHNIKOVS are used right at this moment, but I guess standing on top of the dead is okay if it is for your team :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

punakone posted:

I am sorry, I thought it was okay when inside the EU parliament the speakers were telling the MEPs that those EVIL KALASHNIKOVS are used right at this moment, but I guess standing on top of the dead is okay if it is for your team :)

Find another time, jackass. Now is not the time.

punakone posted:

You still dont understand, it is okay, I see it is rather useless to try to explain it to you either.

Hey, smug rear end in a top hat. People died and are dying right now. FIND ANOTHER TIME TO BEMOAN YOUR GUN RIGHTS, rear end in a top hat.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Find another time, jackass. Now is not the time.

Hey, smug rear end in a top hat. People died and are dying right now. FIND ANOTHER TIME TO BEMOAN YOUR GUN RIGHTS, rear end in a top hat.

Absolutely, just hoping the ban advocates do the same in Brussels.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

punakone posted:

Absolutely, just hoping the ban advocates do the same in Brussels.

And they should. But here you are.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

And they should. But here you are.

Just bringing up the tertiary non-issues they are tackling instead of the real problems at hand, what can we do with radicalized muslims and help muslims not become radicalized.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

punakone posted:

Just bringing up the tertiary non-issues they are tackling instead of the real problems at hand, what can we do with radicalized muslims and help muslims not become radicalized.

Hey, I know exactly where you're coming from. If a personal freedom you have gets removed due to some lovely terrorist attack and in no way a fault of your own, it's always lovely (that kind of poo poo is what makes terrorists actually win, if you ask me), but holy poo poo is your excuse for wanting to have a gun dumb, and possibly more importantly, can you at least wait until such a proposal even exists in the first place? I don't have much faith in this world but even I think nothing is going to happen to your lovely gun collection.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Isn't the Finnish containment zone thread pretty much meant for this? Take your awful poo poo there.

I mean Jesus loving Christ dude, how you manage to take a terrorist attack in Belguim and make it about militias in Finland is beyond me. I'm happy Finland doesn't have a latent terror problem, but it sure as gently caress isn't because the islamists are afraid of a bunch of hillbillies with AKs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

punakone posted:

Its not the time. Wait until those politicians actually open their mouth.