Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Didn't the TSA fail to discover like 90% of guns/bombs sent through them in internal testing last year?

e: Apparently 95%, definitely money well spent though :jerkbag:

Dubstep Jesus fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FAUXTON posted:

Wasn't Brussels a sort of crossroads for a bunch of the Paris attackers, either as someone there acting as a coordinator or it being where they were prior to being in Paris?

There's a neighborhood in Brussels that is teaming with radicalized Muslims called Molenbeek. Belgium has done very little to address it, even after Paris.

I imagine that will change.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Didn't the TSA fail to discover like 90% of guns/bombs sent through them in internal testing last year?

Yes, and there was a study about it. Working on a link.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

CommieGIR posted:

Unfortunately, with out the TSA is setup, the only way to really reform it is to completely dismantle it and build it back up. Yes, there needs to be an interim, solution, but right now they are just one big false sense of security.

Seems pretty simple to fix though. Changing practices isn't that difficult.

Get rid of the Full body spectrum scanners. Stop with the shoe poo poo.

Go back to simple metal detectors and bag scans. Add bomb dogs to walk up and down the lines. This would make the process much faster and simpler.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

E: /\ this is America we're talking about, people would be up in arms about their autistic kids loving with the bomb dogs, jokers coating poo poo in bacon fat to drive the dogs nuts, and basically people messing with the dogs when they shouldn't.

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I don't know but there was a time where I totally forgot a ~2" pocket knife (it was a little Gerber skeleton thing that I have long since lost) in a breast pocket of a fleece jacket, and wore it through the metal detector without setting it off.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Obama is expected to address the terrorist attacks in his remarks in Havana. Link is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhWOjj1Q9hU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Talmonis posted:

Seems pretty simple to fix though. Changing practices isn't that difficult.

Get rid of the Full body spectrum scanners. Stop with the shoe poo poo.

Go back to simple metal detectors and bag scans. Add bomb dogs to walk up and down the lines. This would make the process much faster and simpler.

Do you know how much tax payer/Airline CEO money that could cost? We can't do that, especially not in an election year. Its much easier to just set up even more types of screenings to make it look like we're stopping things.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 22, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

CommieGIR posted:

True, obviously checked bags still need to be scanned, but most actual threats to flight safety are either inside threats (baggage loaders/pilots/etc.) or passengers. Marshals and locked doors go a long way to combating that.

Locked doors are pretty awesome, having more than one person in the cockpit helps too.

The Marshals, however, need some help.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Crabtree posted:

Do you know how much tax payer/Airline CEO money that could cost? We can't do that, especially not in an election year. Its much easier to just set up even more types of screenings to make it look like we're stopping things.

Less than it costs now. Those backscatter machines are ridiculous.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I mean, 99.999999% of flights aren't going to have a terrorist on them and most aren't going to have any kind of disturbance that requires intervention, they're mostly there as a deterrent.

Nice work if you can get it tho

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Talmonis posted:

Less than it costs now. Those backscatter machines are ridiculous.

Well, good thing they're not used then.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
My unintentional TSA Shenanigans:

Years ago (still post 2001) I had one of those bulky 12 pound laptops (17", two drive bays, the whole nine yards) that I bought before I was traveling regularly but was too stubborn/cheap to sell and buy something smaller afterwards. Anyways I don't remember the exact number but I went through TSA with it more than 30 times between coming and going from my home on trips over the course of a year or two. Why is all this relevant? I eventually got stopped one day by the person running the xray machine and after a few minutes got shuttled off to a corner with a armed guard and my laptop. Come to find out the heat sink on my laptop looked exactly like a gun. I mean a perfect, clear as day (they let me run it through the machine and see it after we were all done), image of a handgun. The only thing even remotely questionable about the form is it didn't appear to have a hammer and the trigger looked more like it was part of the curve between the handle and the barrel rather than separate piece.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Arkane posted:

There's a neighborhood in Brussels that is teaming with radicalized Muslims called Molenbeek. Belgium has done very little to address it, even after Paris.

I imagine that will change.

You forget that Belgium is the only country in the world that's recently had worse gridlock than the United States right now.

Although I guess Venezuela's trying to give it a run for its money.

It is, in some respects, the closest Europe has to a failed state.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

zoux posted:

I imagine internet atheists are feeling a lot of swagger today.

What in the gently caress does someone's personal beliefs or lack thereof have to do with anything? Why would someone who doesn't go to church be happy at the deaths of civilians?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

What in the gently caress does someone's personal beliefs or lack thereof have to do with anything? Why would someone who doesn't go to church be happy at the deaths of civilians?

Because it shows that all religions are bad :smug:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Solkanar512 posted:

Oh I see you are new to the internet.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Solkanar512 posted:

you can't be this naive man. there are plenty of sociopathic internet hot-takers who only care about whether a world event makes their ideology look correct

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

FCKGW posted:

Actually just don't read Reddit.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

I think Zoux is referring to the Sam Harris School of Internet Atheism and its raging Islamophobia.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

He's not referring to "I don't believe in God " atheists, he's referring to the "Islam is a plague and I'm a superior being for not having a religion " Dawkinsesque crowd that frequents Reddit

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

There is this particular subset of "Internet atheist" that are virulently islamophobic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Because it shows that all religions are bad :smug:

It also shows Islam is bad, which I imagine is a direct, not side-, benefit for a lot of internet atheists when taking up that set of beliefs.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

reddit dot com is dog poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alligator Horse posted:

I think Zoux is referring to the Sam Harris School of Internet Atheism and its raging Islamophobia.

Literally the top post on r/atheism right now.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Hot take: le Reddit is le bad

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Has there been any studies conducted on the TSA's impact as a deterrent? As discussed above, the agency has a shockingly high failure rate, but I imagine that the security line is a strong disincentive for potential security threats.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

zoux posted:

Literally the top post on r/atheism right now.

Why in the gently caress are you taking Reddit as the authority on people who aren't religious?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Solkanar512 posted:

Why in the gently caress are you taking Reddit as the authority on people who aren't religious?

how is pretending to be this dumb even fun for you?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

yikes

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/712268473376837632

CNN: No one's been caught, we have no suspects, but should we torture them?

This is why letting Trump into politics unquestioned to move the Overton window is a bad thing, guys.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Solkanar512 posted:

Oh I see you are new to words and language and everything.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Solkanar512 posted:

you seem to be taking it personally. recommended: stop

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Someone's salty

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Well this isn't going very well for you, is it?

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Solkanar512 posted:

Haha, just relax my friend.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ
                        /

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

TheQat posted:

you seem to be taking it personally. recommended: stop

No, it's just in this thread we have the "atheists are like this" and in the breaking news thread we have the "all Muslims are that" and it just feels gross, that's all.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This is why letting Trump into politics unquestioned to move the Overton window is a bad thing, guys.

I think you overvalue Trump's influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

#notallatheists

• Locked thread