Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was using Google Now, but then the memory card problem happened which caused apps to not appear on the screen which made me think Google Now was the problem. I switched to Nova Launcher. To be honest I'm not sure what the differences between the two are besides Google Now having a screen that had a lot of stuff on it that I didn't find useful.

Edit: I forgot a sentence!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

RandomPauI posted:

I think the problem may be with the SD card. Yeah, I can read from it and write to it but when I connected it to my laptop it didn't recognize it as having any memory at all. And when I tried to reformat it in different programs it'd cause them to crash.

It's certainly possible, there are many crappy and counterfeit SD cards out there.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

RandomPauI posted:

I was using Google Now, but then the memory card problem happened which caused apps to not appear on the screen which made me think Google Now was the problem. I switched to Nova Launcher. To be honest I'm not sure what the differences between the two are besides Google Now having a screen that had a lot of stuff on it that I didn't find useful.

Edit: I forgot a sentence!

Nova lets you customize nearly every aspect of it (app drawer, home screen grid size, swipe gestures), but GNL has the Google Now screen that people seem to love so much, though it sounds like you do not.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
And if you're anything like me you're constantly making tiny little tweaks to your goddamn grid sizes and icons in Nova and I gotta have 5x6 on my home screen but 6x5 in my app drawer and icons need to be 115% here but not there because I'm a loving moron and now I live in Nova's settings screen instead of in the real world where there is joy and pizza

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

For what it's worth, the majority of the information Google Now shows me isn't that useful either. The only thing i really liked were package notifications. The "where you parked" notification is probably too inaccurate to be of any real use. I can give it another try now that I'm part of the Nexus-Fi Master Race.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Valicious posted:

any suggestions for cases for the Nexus 5X? Screen protector?

How much am I going to regret going with the 16GB over the 32GB?

Buy these:

http://www.xtremeguard.com

The tempered glass are fantastic, and they usually have a 85-99% coupon code. I have them for my N5X, iPad Mini, and iPhone6 and they look fantastic and cost nothing. I've referred a ton of people there and everyone loves them.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Nova lets you customize nearly every aspect of it (app drawer, home screen grid size, swipe gestures), but GNL has the Google Now screen that people seem to love so much, though it sounds like you do not.

Every so often I install Nova or that other popular launcher, I forget which, and I start customizing it, but I always get tired of it and go back to GNL.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I used Nova until I realized that I was playing interior decorator with my goddamn phone homescreen and I said no, no I will not do this. Went back to GNL and just got down to barebones. It's easy enough to just launch stuff from the app drawer if needed.

Google Now I find incredibly useful; it serves up cards reliably for me, for weather and the day's agenda and packages and news and everything. It's Google Now on Tap that I wish worked better; I almost never remember that it's there and it's about 50/50 on finding what I want on the screen when I do. But when it does work it's really great.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Buy these:

The tempered glass are fantastic, and they usually have a 85-99% coupon code. I have them for my N5X, iPad Mini, and iPhone6 and they look fantastic and cost nothing. I've referred a ton of people there and everyone loves them.

Does anyone use tempered glass protectors without a case? It seems like feeling the edge all the time would annoy me pretty quickly, especially since I use SwipePad, so I swipe in from the edge of the screen a lot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

Google Now I find incredibly useful; it serves up cards reliably for me, for weather and the day's agenda and packages and news and everything. It's Google Now on Tap that I wish worked better; I almost never remember that it's there and it's about 50/50 on finding what I want on the screen when I do. But when it does work it's really great.

This is the truth. Now on Tap is terrible in its current incarnation.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

azurite posted:

The "where you parked" notification is probably too inaccurate to be of any real use.

LastInLine posted:

Two true things.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hooah posted:

Does anyone use tempered glass protectors without a case? It seems like feeling the edge all the time would annoy me pretty quickly, especially since I use SwipePad, so I swipe in from the edge of the screen a lot.

I use them all the time with an with out a case and it's fine. They aren't super thick, so it's not a big deal.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LastInLine posted:

True.

And as a google apps user (I've had a custom domain for more than a decade now) I don't get package tracking or a lot of the deeper stuff. :(

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Re: SD card problems:
Hopefully you can now see why they're advocated against. They just don't work well enough. It's just one more way something can screw up.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only useful things Google Now has are the package tracker, trending stories like 25% of the time and that it shows me the Google Doodle of the day without having to go to the Google homepage.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I'm on vacation and it showed me flight and hotel information.

It also showed me a trending(?) article about the flydubai jet, which appeared in my feed the day of my flight :(

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

My news feed in it is great, and seems to get better the more I use it

After finally being able to get rid of the daily loving mail as a news source its almost perfect

I use it for a load of recurring reminders too, once month kind of things

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Merkinman posted:

I'm on vacation and it showed me flight and hotel information.

Yes, Now is quite great when I go on a trip. Again, how great it is depends on how much of your life goes through Google...all my trip plans and whatever end up in my gmail inbox so google knows all about where I'm going, where I'm staying, where I'm getting a car, what time my car is getting returned, what gas stations are between my hotel and car drop off, etc.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Trips really are the standout feature of now. Very handy to not have to dig through emails to find confirmation numbers and such.

I use the weather feature every morning to see which hours it will rain. It let me put a weather icon on my home screen this morning so I can jump straight to it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Once I figured out how to make Google Now stop spoiling soccer scores in its widget, it became a lot more useful. I use Bing on the desktop so the news articles aren't that relevant to my interests but they are getting better over time and the weather and other stuff works just fine.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
One time I got a notification from Now that just said "expect rain on Saturday" it was not loving kidding.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey guys, guess what popped up on my Google Now feed just now:

quote:

Engadget - 1 day ago
Google Now can block publishers you don't read
You've shown interest in Google Now

:aaa:

Desk Lamp posted:

One time I got a notification from Now that just said "expect rain on Saturday" it was not loving kidding.

I get a daily notification from Google Now around 8 p.m. that tells me what the weather is going to be like tomorrow.

It'll say something like "56 degrees tomorrow, 2 degrees more than yesterday" and if I click on it I get a more complete picture.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 22, 2016

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
When I grow up I want to be like Google Now

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've been using an iPhone for the past couple years and I have a Moto X Pure on the way. I can't wait to be back in the loving arms of Google.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Tsyni posted:

I've been using an iPhone for the past couple years and I have a Moto X Pure on the way. I can't wait to be back in the loving arms of Google.

The first thing it's going to do is hit you. Welcome back.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Tsyni posted:

Why did you switch?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Butts posted:

Why did you switch?

I got my first iPhone for free from a friend and I actually liked it more than I thought I would, but I vastly prefer Android to iOS. Price is also a pretty big factor.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Tsyni posted:

The pure is really good. Congratulations.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Buy these:

Every so often I install Nova or that other popular launcher, I forget which, and I start customizing it, but I always get tired of it and go back to GNL.

Found an 88% off coupon, cool. Would you suggest their cases as well, or just the Spartan tempered glass?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Valicious posted:

Found an 88% off coupon, cool. Would you suggest their cases as well, or just the Spartan tempered glass?

I don't have any of the cases, so I don't know. I've used about a hundred of the glass protectors. My kids are always grabbing my phones and running off with them and spiking them, so I've been through a bunch of the screens, with nary an issue on the phone itself.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The phone screen is designed to be scratch resistant, there's no need for a screen protector. Moreover, the outside of the phone is the case - cosmetic damage won't have any bearing on the operation of the device. The outside of the phone is the case, much like how the outside of a laptop is the case - it protects the delicate internal components.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

RZA Encryption posted:

Re: SD card problems:
Hopefully you can now see why they're advocated against. They just don't work well enough. It's just one more way something can screw up.

It's a trade-off. My phone only has about 8 gigs of free space after you take the OS and whatnot into account. That's plenty of space for a lot of small apps, but not so much space for bulky game/podcast/etc apps, videos, music, etc.

This phone has a big battery, the quad-processor is strong enough for what I'll do with it, it has more gigs of memory and more ram than the phones available from AT&T or T-mobile at this price point. Having to spend money on an SD card for extra storage verses spending a lot more to buy a more advanced phone isn't a deal-breaker.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Doctor Butts posted:

Hey guys, guess what popped up on my Google Now feed just now:

:aaa:
Google Now has become self-aware, skynet is imminent

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

azurite posted:

For what it's worth, the majority of the information Google Now shows me isn't that useful either. The only thing i really liked were package notifications. The "where you parked" notification is probably too inaccurate to be of any real use. I can give it another try now that I'm part of the Nexus-Fi Master Race.

I've never been done wrong by the "where you parked" card. It's come in handy quite a few times.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

XIII posted:

I've never been done wrong by the "where you parked" card. It's come in handy quite a few times.

It always fucks up for me because I use a variety of transportation options, so it marks my parking spot as where I debarked the train rather than where I parked to get on the train, for example.

The other good one is it'll have my old parking spot but not the current one, like it'd say I'm parked at portillos when I'm already home.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 23, 2016

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

broken clock opsec posted:

It always fucks up for me because I use a variety of transportation options, so it marks my parking spot as where I debarked the train rather than where I parked to get on the train, for example.

The other good one is it'll have my old parking spot but not the current one, l hoursike it'd say I'm parked at portillos when I'm already home.

Same. If I stop at the supermarket on the way home it'll let me know at 10pm that I parked there 4 hours ago. Despite the fact that I was there for ten minutes and then drove home.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm not sure I see the issue there though. It's not like you really need to know where you parked when you took the train. The only time I pay attention to the parking card is when I drove somewhere and don't remember the exact block I parked on.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

XIII posted:

I'm not sure I see the issue there though. It's not like you really need to know where you parked when you took the train. The only time I pay attention to the parking card is when I drove somewhere and don't remember the exact block I parked on.

It would be nice. Commuter train lots are mega huge here.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Just ordered the 32BG Nexus 5x in Charcoal, a Xtreme Guard Spartan TGSP, and now I'm trying to decide on a case. I've been told Driztonic is good. Are there any battery cases out there?
I hope I don't regret getting the 5X over the 6P. I've been reading about poor battery life, yellowish screen tint, and slow downs due to lack of RAM...

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Motorola just pushed forward updates for their Moto G line that brings them up to Marshmallow. This also fixes the new critical Stagefright vulnerability on Android phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Valicious posted:

Just ordered the 32BG Nexus 5x in Charcoal, a Xtreme Guard Spartan TGSP, and now I'm trying to decide on a case. I've been told Driztonic is good. Are there any battery cases out there?
I hope I don't regret getting the 5X over the 6P. I've been reading about poor battery life, yellowish screen tint, and slow downs due to lack of RAM...

The 5x is a good phone, and better now that it got that update earlier this month that fixed a lot of issues for people that were experiencing them (I wasn't one so I can't comment on that). The battery gets me until bed but no further with about 2 and a half to 3 hours of SoT. I've never run into slow downs on it, but I don't do a ton of stuff on it either. I basically use it for SMS, photos, music and life-organization. I don't even use Facebook.

With that said it's a inexpensive (especially now), mid-level phone so if you expect 6P (a more expensive, flagship phone) performance out of it, you may be disappointed.

There aren't any battery cases that I've encountered and Diztronic is a great brand and it's what I have on my 5x right now. If I had to list a complaint about the case it's that the black model kind of gets fingerprint-y and scuffed easily, but hey that's what the case it there for, to take that abuse instead of the phone itself.