Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Captain Magic posted:

Guys, I'm pretty sure the answer to all these assholes with a collective persecution complex is more oppression.

The word oppression has become meaningless. Their religion is being oppressed... by allowing mosques and even importing preachers from foreign countries and giving them constitutional protection and being very lenient on immigration policy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

So the proxy war in Yemen between Saudi Arabia and Iran is a consequence of Western oppression ? Ideology has no role at all ?

That particular conflict is way more political than ideological. Iran for instance, armed the Sunni Taliban when it suited their political goals, so it's not like they're staunchly sectarian. KSA and Iran certainly use sectarian rhetoric when it benefits them, but that's not the driver. The bigger issue is that the power structures in the middle east are changing and Iran and KSA are the two biggest countries with the potential to capitalize on it. That's what Yemen, Syria, Iraq, and Lebanon are about.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Spangly A posted:

I'd like the presumably-Americans in this thread calling out "violent radicals" to remember that Islamic fundamentalists have, worldwide, killed less people than you get through in random gun violence a year. Without singling out Americans in general, I would like this specific community of you to drop the hilarious hypocrisy if you plan to actually communicate with people who aren't complete loving idiots.

This is nowhere close to reality.

Approximately 33,000 people died due to Islamic terrorism in 2014. In the US, there were approximately 5,000 non-suicide deaths as a result of gun violence (about 60% of gun deaths are suicides).

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Arkane posted:

Approximately 33,000 people died due to Islamic terrorism in 2014. In the US, there were ~5,000 non-suicide deaths as a result of gun violence (about 60% of gun deaths are suicides)..

drat, so instead of more, it's actually half. Thanks, I feel much better with your argument that only muslims are violent.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

so, who are we bombing/invading next? impotent, spastic rage fit is coming and we'll get some nasty blueballs if we don't bomb someone soon.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Lotka Volterra posted:

What events led up to the creation of the current Iranian regime? And no, I'm not saying ideology has no role, but such divisions don't just appear out of nothing. There are contributing factors.

Read Middle East medieval history and the atrocities Ottoman Sultans inflicted on Shia minorities in the empire. Totally motivated by ideology. The Prophet not naming a successor was a big mistake, in my humble opinion

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i like how i know he's going to ignore this cause it proves he's a dumbass

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

waitwhatno posted:

so, who are we bombing/invading next? impotent, spastic rage fit is coming and we'll get some nasty blueballs if we don't bomb someone soon.

I nominate Molenbeek. Raid every single flat in that community and everyone who actively or passively supported the terrorists/ISIS gets punished. Do the same in all other boroughs that have similar problems.

Sorry but I only understand German, English and Latin, so these links are of no use to me.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GaussianCopula posted:

I nominate Molenbeek. Raid every single flat in that community and everyone who actively or passively supported the terrorists/ISIS gets punished. Do the same in all other boroughs that have similar problems.

Collective punishment with the goal of spreading fear of the government among would-be radicals is workin really well for Egypt, let me tell you.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Spangly A posted:

drat, so instead of more, it's actually half. Thanks, I feel much better with your argument that only muslims are violent.

This isn't my argument, but instead what you want my argument to be.

Seems like most of your posting is just making random poo poo up and then running with it. Very Trumpian.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Very nice McCarthyist arguments here.
Yeah lets go on nationwide witchhunts, remember only jihadists sink.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 22, 2016

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Arkane posted:

Approximately 33,000 people died due to Islamic terrorism in 2014. In the US, there were approximately 5,000 non-suicide deaths as a result of gun violence (about 60% of gun deaths are suicides).

You get into murky territory when you start counting a Hausa proxy army as terrorism. Civilian slaughter, sure.

Anyway per capita still a really bad number for the US.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Sorry but I only understand German, English and Latin, so these links are of no use to me.
They're all reliable sources on discrimination in Belgium. statbel.fgov is the government's statistics site, werk.be is also run by the government I think, UGent is one of the two most respected universities in Belgium, De Standaard is one of its most respected papers and hln is, well, one of the other papers.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Arkane posted:

This isn't my argument, but instead what you want my argument to be.

Seems like most of your posting is just making random poo poo up and then running with it. Very Trumpian.

Arkane posted:

There's a lot of inequality in the world, but very little violent radicalization outside of Muslim communities.

I'll just leave that here

GaussianCopula posted:

Those three languages combined should give you a fairly solid start with both Flemish and French tbh

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

R. Mute posted:

They're all reliable sources on discrimination in Belgium. statbel.fgov is the government's statistics site, werk.be is also run by the government I think, UGent is one of the two most respected universities in Belgium, De Standaard is one of its most respected papers and hln is, well, one of the other papers.

Ah, but you see, gaussiancopula doesn't speak dutch so to him they might as well not exist

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mandatory lesbian posted:

i like how i know he's going to ignore this cause it proves he's a dumbass

GaussianCopula posted:

lol nice call

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Fear and hatred towards Muslims is exactly what the terrorists want, you idiots. You're collaborating with them.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Rollofthedice posted:

Ah, but you see, gaussiancopula doesn't speak dutch so to him they might as well not exist

If only we lived in an age where web pages could be instantly translated at will...

Someone should get a major tech company on this! Maybe a search engine, they got smart people there.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Welp,
https://twitter.com/Raqqa_SL/status/712297381786550273

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, you also speak fluent ignorance.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Evacuations seem to be rolling out

what's a decent national or local news source? Everything English is just running off twitter and AP right now.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

An Angry Bug posted:

Fear and hatred towards Muslims is exactly what the terrorists want, you idiots. You're collaborating with them.

So... what exactly should be done? Quietly accept bombings from immigrants and radicalized citizens as the cost of doing business?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GaussianCopula posted:

So do you think raiding every single home in a Muslim community will improve relations between Muslims and non-Muslims, or do you think it would make things worse? It seems like this is more anger-signaling than a well thought-out proposal, to be honest.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Maybe snickering at people freaking out at ISIS leaking in with all the migrants might have been a silly thing to do.

Oh well #refugeswelcome

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sharkie posted:

So do you think raiding every single home in a Muslim community will improve relations between Muslims and non-Muslims, or do you think it would make things worse? It seems like this is more anger-signaling than a well thought-out proposal, to be honest.

FYI: GaussianCopula was the same guy who advocated rejecting refugees and working with an up and coming Turkish dictator as a solution to the refugee crisis.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Spangly A posted:

The root cause of radicalisation is inequalty, good luck on that.

This is quite simply not true and you'd know that if you did any research on the subject. Jihadists are disproportionately well off our educated middle class.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
This seemed inevitable

This is just going to make things even worse for refugees fleeing ISIS and Syria :smith:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

AllanGordon posted:

Maybe snickering at people freaking out at ISIS leaking in with all the migrants might have been a silly thing to do.

Oh well #refugeswelcome

/r/european is that way ----->

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

menino posted:

Anyway per capita still a really bad number for the US.

Now add up all the murders in those countries to the terrorism and armed conflict figures.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I would like to come out and say I think, all other possibilities aside, I think GaussianCopula's proposition of an anti-Muslim pogrom is a very poor idea and it shouldn't be done.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

menino posted:

You get into murky territory when you start counting a Hausa proxy army as terrorism. Civilian slaughter, sure.

Even if you exclude it, still a staggering number of deaths.

2015 was almost equally terrible and more geographically widespread; there was Islamic terrorism on every continent save for South America.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
also what's wrong with muslims bringing over all their cultural practices. I mean child brides, FGM, and loving little boys are already here to stay. Might as well bring the regular suicide bombings too. Now we in the west can know what's it's like in random muslim shithole #53. You can't call yourself part of the diverse experience till you take some shrapnel in the leg.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

tsa posted:

This is quite simply not true and you'd know that if you did any research on the subject. Jihadists are disproportionately well off our educated middle class.

tsa, you and everyone else don't have the same definition of 'research'

Arkane posted:

Even if you exclude it, still a staggering number of deaths.

2015 was almost equally terrible and more geographically widespread; there was Islamic terrorism on every continent save for South America.

And more people were killed in car accidents, aircraft accidents, and accidental shootings combined than was every killed by a terrorist in the west. So shutup.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

AllanGordon posted:

Oh well #refugeswelcome

The Paris attacks weren't carried out by refugees and I bet these ones weren't either. But I guess you can't pass up an opportunity to be ignorant.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Frosted Flake posted:

So... what exactly should be done? Quietly accept bombings from immigrants and radicalized citizens as the cost of doing business?

Do something that will actually fix this problem instead of exacerbating it with a witchhunt? I think that is what is being suggested here.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

AllanGordon posted:

Oh well #refugeswelcome

nobody's said they're migrants

tsa posted:

you're right, there's no such thing as cultural or religious inequality. It's a simplification, as is yours.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

What exactly is passively supporting a terrorist

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Lotka Volterra posted:

You do know that American ghettos are not havens of peace and prosperity, either, right? Violence due to isolation from society at-large and oppression is not exactly contained to Islam. And it can take a lot of forms.

Yes, it shows that inequity is a very poor predictor of terrorism, like you just pointed out.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Per Reuters, ISIS has claimed responsibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
We all know they're migrants lol.

• Locked thread