Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Paying rent sucks. It's my largest expense every month and all I have to show for it at the end of the month is a nice, safe, and comfortable place to live.

Have we all been trolled since day 1?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

So, what happened with all this? Did op freeze to death with ol yeller?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

BloodBag posted:

So, what happened with all this? Did op freeze to death with ol yeller?

He couldn't pay up for the left shark bet, so the mob burned the houseboat with OP still on board.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Alright so I figured I would give an update on the houseboat situation.

I dont live in a houseboat yet and that sucks. I also have been scrambling to find a place to live short term in the interim as well thats fairly cheap. Having a dog makes finding an apartment complicated.

Now for the good news. I had enough deductions that even after paying my tax preparer I got a refund! I owed about $100 to the state and got $600 back from the feds. Next year I shouldn't have this issue. I also got my bonus at work. I wasted about $500 of it on dumb poo poo, put a chunk towards my car loan, and then saved the rest. I also got a good deal on some bubbler motors at the flea market recently. Even if I dont get a houseboat soon I should be able to flip them for some money at a later date.

Since my savings has crept up it has me thinking about just buying a house. As I see it I could save for another year or two and have enough to buy a cheap houseboat outright and still have about a months of wages in savings as an emergency fund. Or I could save for another 3-4 years and have enough for a down payment on mid level house. Realistically if I got the houseboat and did that for 4-5 years I could have enough to probably put like %50 down on a house and really set myself up well in future.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Have you read the house buying thread? Buying a house will not make your savings go up, it will make it go below zero. I would stick with the house boat.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You're just trolling us at this point, right? Because you were making sense until that last sentence where you started predicting how much you'll save long term living on water.

Flea market bubblers. That sounds like another word for Truck Stop Lizards.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

You're just trolling us at this point, right? Because you were making sense until that last sentence where you started predicting how much you'll save long term living on water.

Flea market bubblers. That sounds like another word for Truck Stop Lizards.

No the idea is if my savings keep going at this rate, I could buy a houseboat outright and then just have maintenance and dock costs. Lets say at the extreme end that ends up being $600 a month. I'm still saving $5-600 a month then that can go into a house fund. So if I buy the boat outright and live on it cheap for 4-5 years I could put something like %50 down on a house, leading to way cheaper payments.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BaseballPCHiker posted:

No the idea is if my savings keep going at this rate, I could buy a houseboat outright and then just have maintenance and dock costs. Lets say at the extreme end that ends up being $600 a month. I'm still saving $5-600 a month then that can go into a house fund. So if I buy the boat outright and live on it cheap for 4-5 years I could put something like %50 down on a house, leading to way cheaper payments.

Saving $500 a month means you can pack away $6000 a year. In five years of cheap living you'll have saved a whopping $30,000, and all it will have cost you is $30,000 to buy a boat. Sounds like an airtight plan.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Just rent a room or a crappy hood apartment :cripes:

Or get a freaking roommate and try not to get yourself black listed from every rental in town, dumbass.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Don't wuss out now, your houseboat dreams are within reach

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Hope Floats dude it doesn't house remember that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
buy the houseboat

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
When the next huge biblical flood comes who's gonna be laughing at all the rent paying nerds; you will be up on your houseboat.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

SarutosZero posted:

When the next huge biblical flood comes who's gonna be laughing at all the rent paying nerds; you will be up on your houseboat.

Houseboat tied to dock does not rise when tide comes in. (bastardization of a rising tide lifts all boats or something)

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

r0ck0 posted:

Houseboat tied to dock does not rise when tide comes in. (bastardization of a rising tide lifts all boats or something)
Some docks lift off the pilings and then all the houseboats and the docks get to drift away together. It happened in PDX during the flood of 96, it was comical to those of us not in the houseboats.

OP, get to buyin' your ship man.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Would you considering compromising and living in a tiny house by a lake? Friend of mine just built a tiny house with salvaged and secondhand building materials and it cost him barely anything

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Hocus Pocus posted:

Would you considering compromising and living in a tiny house by a lake? Friend of mine just built a tiny house with salvaged and secondhand building materials and it cost him barely anything

Your friend is either unemployed, independently wealthy, or took a decade to do it. Having helped some friends build homes from scratch, let me assure you that a home with modern amenities is still 6 figures, even if you consider own labor costs worthless.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Nitrox posted:

Your friend is either unemployed, independently wealthy, or took a decade to do it. Having helped some friends build homes from scratch, let me assure you that a home with modern amenities is still 6 figures, even if you consider own labor costs worthless.

TINY house.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I am still deeply perturbed by the lack of houseboat

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nitrox posted:

Maybe you should google tiny house.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

If you buy a house and the real estate market tanks, you risk bring left with an underwater investment.

Compare that to a houseboat and, well...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

AKA a rigid tent, on wheels.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Barry posted:

Maybe you should google tiny house.
Some results show people living in goddamn shipping containers, jesus gently caress.

Also, maybe you should Google how much a lakeside land actually costs. Then getting it rezoned for residential construction. And then running municipal water and electricity to it. Then price out a septic tank installation. Because that's what makes it a house and not an isolated cabin, where you poo poo in the woods outside.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 22, 2016

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Let he who ties himself to the rents of the land sink underwater with their mortgages while he who trusts in his houseboat float on the frozen lakes of his dreams.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

FrozenVent posted:

AKA a rigid tent, on wheels.

They're not all like that. http://www.countryliving.com/home-design/g1887/tiny-house/

Obviously the nicer ones are more expensive, but being 1/10th to 1/4th the size of a typical house, with needing less land, means it does cost a lot less. And it won't sink into the frozen sea, leaving only bubbles from the bubblers in its wake.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

They're not all like that. http://www.countryliving.com/home-design/g1887/tiny-house/

Obviously the nicer ones are more expensive, but being 1/10th to 1/4th the size of a typical house, with needing less land, means it does cost a lot less. And it won't sink into the frozen sea, leaving only bubbles from the bubblers in its wake.
http://clv.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/09/480x552/54eb9878d89d9_-_tiny-houses-relaxshacks-0215-xln-64680392.jpg
Are you for real

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm more talking the first couple on the page, which are very nice

http://clv.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/10/640x480/gallery_54f0d9d889efa_-_01-millertinyhouse-048-edit1-lgn.jpg
http://clv.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/09/480x552/54eb987844570_-_tiny-houses-shelter-0215-xln-70320518.jpg

The one you picked is really bad yeah.

edit: Hey, relevant!

http://clv.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/09/54eb987d398a1_-_small-of-fame10-0215-xln-24080125.jpg

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 22, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yeah just build a floating house. Buy a shipping container and attach some steel barrel to one side of it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Perhaps you could get some brave like-minded souls to lash their ship to yours, creating a flotilla of freedom outside the tired and simplistic laws of men.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

That's a vacation cabin. Nobody is living there full time.

It's not really my thing (and obviously not yours) but hey, if you want to reduce your footprint (literally and figuratively), why not?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Barry posted:

if you want to reduce your footprint (literally and figuratively)
Literally? Like, amputation or what?

And most of those stupid things are cabins, not houses. Which means no utilities are hooked up. The people who live in those things full time, sure. But it's not a standard of living, even in some 3rd world countries.

Edit: just saw an actual storage shed on that list, ha

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 22, 2016

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
We get it, you need your McMansion. That's fine.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

BFC: Indoor plumbing and electricity are wasteful luxuries.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I don't know about plumbing (I'm sure the one that seems to be built on a city lot does), but most of those clearly have electricity, unless a wizard is powering the lights.

...but why do you need water when you're living on running water? Think of all the savings if you just take a bath in the river and drink river water (just boil it, it's fine)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

I don't know about plumbing (I'm sure the one that seems to be built on a city lot does), but most of those clearly have electricity, unless a wizard is powering the lights.

...but why do you need water when you're living on running water? Think of all the savings if you just take a bath in the river and drink river water (just boil it, it's fine)
They have electricity because they're either houses on a grid with a public utility hookup or are cabins with a generator. What's the confusion here? Did a start an argument? Because my initial point was that you're not building a legal and permanent structure on a lake front land under 6 figures, as someone had suggested to the OP. Not building a house, to be specific.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Nail Rat posted:

Ya no worries about whats been dumped upstream the EPA is totally on the peoples side and not bought out by large corporations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've seen tiny houses use a refillable water tank. Sewage could be a septic tank.

There are plenty of reasons not to like tiny homes. "OMG NO POWER NO WATER!!!" isn't one of them.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
I'm surprised no one has mentioned portable tiny houses. Those are the ones I hear about the most. Hitch it to your truck or w/e and chill at an RV park I guess. This company is well-known and probably more on the expensive end.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

It's not my thing so I don't know the details, but it's nothing to rage over imo.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned portable tiny houses. Those are the ones I hear about the most. Hitch it to your truck or w/e and chill at an RV park I guess. This company is well-known and probably more on the expensive end.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

It's not my thing so I don't know the details, but it's nothing to rage over imo.

I'm intrigued

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/products/ella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

quote:

It took about 30 minutes from discovering that something such as Tumbleweed existed to being completely and utterly sold. I called everyone in my family at 2:00am their time to share the moments-old news that I was going to build my own house. I was going to build it, it was going to be marvellous, and I was going to move to the coast so I could play music, be a beach bum and let my perfect airy-fairy lifestyle get me by.

Yep, sounds like BaseballPCHiker will fit in fine.

• Locked thread