Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

What exactly is passively supporting a terrorist

Being muslim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

What exactly is passively supporting a terrorist

People in Molenbeek helped to hide one of the Paris perpetrators.

Good NYTimes piece on this: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/22/world/europe/arrest-salah-abdeslam-paris-suspect.html

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Sharkie posted:

So do you think raiding every single home in a Muslim community will improve relations between Muslims and non-Muslims, or do you think it would make things worse? It seems like this is more anger-signaling than a well thought-out proposal, to be honest.

I think there is probable cause that they are aiding and abetting terrorists, therefore police should conduct the necessary investigations to gather more proof.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AllanGordon posted:

We all know they're migrants lol.

How? The Paris attackers weren't, why would these be? How do you know this so certainly?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Paris attacks weren't carried out by refugees and I bet these ones weren't either. But I guess you can't pass up an opportunity to be ignorant.

otoh people keep saying that the real threat are the second generation immigrants. so if the current refugees are here to stay, does it mean another generation of violent, anti-social offsprings in the future?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Failure to report that your neighbour looks a bit shifty. Punishment: get on the boat

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

AllanGordon posted:

no we don't

they almost certainly aren't, actually

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Arkane posted:

That would be active support

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GaussianCopula posted:

I think there is probable cause that they are aiding and abetting terrorists, therefore police should conduct the necessary investigations to gather more proof.

Break all their poo poo while we're in there too. And rough em up a little bit. Let em know who's boss.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

An Angry Bug posted:

Fear and hatred towards Muslims is exactly what the terrorists want, you idiots. You're collaborating with them.
The funny thing is that fear and hatred towards Muslims population is exactly what the far right wants too. And they probably think it's so nice that some some member of that their targeted population are actively helping them by resorting to blind violence.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Failure to report that your neighbour looks a bit shifty. Punishment: get on the boat

Failing to report that the most wanted man in Europe is being hidden by your neighbour should be punishable, yes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PT6A posted:

I would like to come out and say I think, all other possibilities aside, I think GaussianCopula's proposition of an anti-Muslim pogrom is a very poor idea and it shouldn't be done.

Well now you're just being unreasonable.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Providing material comfort to a wanted terrorist knowing the charges against them wouldn't be considered a passive act anywhere I think

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

AllanGordon posted:

also what's wrong with muslims bringing over all their cultural practices. I mean child brides, FGM, and loving little boys are already here to stay. Might as well bring the regular suicide bombings too. Now we in the west can know what's it's like in random muslim shithole #53. You can't call yourself part of the diverse experience till you take some shrapnel in the leg.

hahaha you are actually a complete moron

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Spangly A posted:

nobody's said they're migrants

you're right, there's no such thing as cultural or religious inequality. It's a simplification, as is yours.

It's quite obvious you have no idea what the actual causes are and are just spinning your wheels.

Just look at the 9 11 attackers, none of the things you are talking about held true there so there's obviously more issues at play here.

It's ok to be wrong, but you need to do done more research in this area friend.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

That would be active support

I edited in a link to a NY Times story from earlier today (that was written before the Brussel attack, ironically). There's more than active support, there's passive support where people who know something will say nothing. One of the people the NYT talked to compared it to Omerta in Italian communities.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Arkane posted:

Good NYTimes piece on this: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/22/world/europe/arrest-salah-abdeslam-paris-suspect.html

So get rid of them all, right Arkane? :allears:

Arkane posted:

I edited in a link to a NY Times story from earlier today (that was written before the Brussel attack, ironically). There's more than active support, there's passive support where people who know something will say nothing. One of the people the NYT talked to compared it to Omerta in Italian communities.

Oooo! Oooo! I want to know your disgusting solution to organized crime, its probably something like 'Banish all Italian people' or some reprehensible Right wing poo poo.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Wouldn't it be worse for your narrative if they were native born like the Paris attackers? Really shows how incompatible muslims are with the West if even the sons and daughters raised here are off doing just normal terrorist things.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

AllanGordon posted:

AllanGordon posted:

also what's wrong with muslims bringing over all their cultural practices. I mean child brides, FGM, and loving little boys are already here to stay. Might as well bring the regular suicide bombings too. Now we in the west can know what's it's like in random muslim shithole #53. You can't call yourself part of the diverse experience till you take some shrapnel in the leg.

1/10 on the trolling. Yeah you showed up but you basically just ctrl+c/ctrl+v'd some reddit posts, and even then you played your hand too soon.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

GaussianCopula posted:

Failing to report that the most wanted man in Europe is being hidden by your neighbour should be punishable, yes.

Yeah, I can't really argue with this.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Break all their poo poo while we're in there too. And rough em up a little bit. Let em know who's boss.

Of course not, the searches should be conducted with the utmost professionalism, although I'd argue that we can lift the ban on raids between 9pm and 5am in this case.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Maybe it's not trolling when it's come to the point that Europe is having terrorist attacks every few months and have to raid hundreds of houses to collect weapons and bombs from muslims.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

tsa posted:

It's quite obvious you have no idea what the actual causes are and are just spinning your wheels.

Just look at the 9 11 attackers, none of the things you are talking about held true there so there's obviously more issues at play here.

What would you say the most important issue here is, exactly?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

steinrokkan posted:

otoh people keep saying that the real threat are the second generation immigrants. so if the current refugees are here to stay, does it mean another generation of violent, anti-social offsprings in the future?

So how about we don't treat the new immigrants like poo poo by socially, economically, and politically isolating them inadvertently ensuring that their decedents to be more prone to extremism?

Or we can be racist xenophobic shits like you are suggesting I suppose.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

steinrokkan posted:

If rabid Islamophobia continues to oppress them? Yeah.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GaussianCopula posted:

Of course not, the searches should be conducted with the utmost professionalism, although I'd argue that we can lift the ban on raids between 9pm and 5am in this case.

Door to door like a vacuum salesman, I'm sure.

Lotka Volterra posted:

What would you say the most important issue here is, exactly?

tsa and arkane: Muslims.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

AllanGordon posted:

Maybe it's not trolling when it's come to the point that Europe is having terrorist attacks every few months and have to raid hundreds of houses to collect weapons and bombs from muslims.

AllanGordon posted:

We all know they're migrants you're trolling lol.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GaussianCopula posted:

Oh for real? And what probable cause is that?

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If rabid Islamophobia continues to oppress them? Yeah.

Sounds like the solution is for them to go back to their cultural homes where they won't face oppression like not being spoken to in arabic or having to deal with women who aren't veiled and lead by a male relative.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sharkie posted:

I suspect GaussianCopula, tsa, and Arkane support Inquisition style investigations to garner more proof.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Arkane posted:

How do you figure out who should have known something but said nothing. Proving that some had reasonable knowledge that someone was sheltering a wanted terrorist is not going to be easiest thing to prove barring some specific evidence against individuals (which would by no means cover everyone who kept their head down and ignored what was going on)

What are you going to do - prosecute everyone within a square mile cause they might have seen him?

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

AllanGordon posted:

Sounds like the solution is for them to go back to their cultural homes where they won't face oppression like not being spoken to in arabic or having to deal with women who aren't veiled and lead by a male relative.

But where's the drama in that ?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

tsa posted:

put bluntly, your arguments don't hold. I'm confident in my reading of sociology, inequality is an indicator of violence, and attempts to deny this are just a nicer-framed argument that's still on the level of gaussian's nonsense. You can cite 9/11 as if anecdotes are of value to the world, I can respond with the entire history of Ireland.

GaussianCopula posted:

The correct method and paperwork of riot squads breaking into your house at 3am is probably not what people would feel concerned about

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

AllanGordon posted:

Wouldn't it be worse for your narrative if they were native born like the Paris attackers? Really shows how incompatible muslims are with the West if even the sons and daughters raised here are off doing just normal terrorist things.

This would be a lot more cogent of an argument if non-white minorities weren't frequently treated like second-class citizens in a lot of Western Europe. That sort of poo poo makes recruitment by terrorist groups a lot easier.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So how about we don't treat the new immigrants like poo poo by socially, economically, and politically isolating them inadvertently ensuring that their decedents to be more prone to extremism?

Or we can be racist xenophobic shits like you are suggesting I suppose.

i don't think the entirety europe has been uniformly 100% anti-muslim for the entirety of the past 30 years or whatever, which would be the only way to satisfactorily explain this as a pure socio economic phenomenon

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Sharkie posted:

Let's start with the fact that the most wanted man in Europe lived among them for over 100 days and freely walked on the street without anyone reporting him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

i don't think the entirety europe has been uniformly 100% anti-muslim for the entirety of the past 30 years or whatever, which would be the only way to satisfactorily explain this.

Doesn't seem to be stopping them now! Let's hate them harder!

GaussianCopula posted:

Let's start with the fact that the most wanted man in Europe lived among them for over 100 days and freely walked on the street without anyone reporting him.

Yeah, because they all knew he was a wanted terrorist. C'mon now.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Codes of silence exist in all manner of communities and trying to break them through aggressive prosecution is just not going to work

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

steinrokkan posted:

i don't think the entirety europe has been uniformly 100% anti-muslim for the entirety of the past 30 years or whatever, which would be the only way to satisfactorily explain this.

you're arguing that the correlation between increased anti-muslim violence and increased muslim violence are a coincidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

If you have the hair and orange face for it, you should run for Eurotrump.

Make Europe great again/Am deutschen Wesen soll Europa genesen!

• Locked thread