Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Toast Museum posted:

Does staking out territory with lone power poles still keep biters from setting up shop in the vicinity?

Yep. Victory poles! Biters are restricted from settling within a certain range of any of your buildings or each other. Boxes work great if you're out of poles and near some trees. There's a debug view that will show you exactly what chunks are valid for biter expansion but its a little cheaty. Press f4 to see the whole options menu. It modifies what data comes up when you press f5-7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

zedprime posted:

Don't ignore that eating pollution is a constant tick once you aggravate a spawner. Its a far less magnitude because its constantly ticking over on eating pollution. If the spawner destroying evolution punishes anything, its striking way out beyond your smog cloud to kill bases that aren't aggravated yet. If you have the time and inclination, trimming down bases inside the smog cloud isn't the worst idea in the world.
Evolution is driven by gross global pollution production; spawners eating pollution doesn't. What it does do is trigger attacks. The only reason to clear spawners in your cloud is to reduce attacks, which may or may not matter to your particular base.

Ambaire posted:

Can't you just mod the train to do zero damage to players?

Yes, and it's really simple.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u09fs7g2eds6k2c/train-immunity_0.1.0.zip?dl=0

Will also provide immunity to tanks and cars or any other source of collision ("impact" type) damage.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

gently caress, big spitters are absolutely straining my defenses. I've had to shut down my oil outposts because the big spitters were eating through my laser turrets + construction bots attempting to repair them. I've fallen back to my main base and fortified it with more laser turrets.

Currently working on outfitting my top tier power armour so I can plow through the biter nests and give my outposts room to breathe.

So many logistical things I need to correct now that I'm ready to properly expand: my metal production is sorely underdeveloped for the outputs my factory demands, and I've been meaning to redesign the entire area but since it's right in the middle of my base, I always put it off for "later". Red circuit production is pathetic, though my green circuit production is great (constant stock of 2k).

That's what I love about this game: there's always something to better perfect.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

How in the hell am I supposed to pull fluid out of these rail-tanker carts? I'm using the Flow Control pumps from GotLag and the latest version of the rail tank cart mod (1.1.3) but they just don't pull fluid out, or put fluid in, unless I manually remove/place the pumps every time, which goes against the whole spirit of the game.

How else am I supposed to get crude oil back to my factory without running tons of pipes everywhere?

What other mods do you have, eg Sneak Through, etc? Can you post a screenshot of the stations that aren't working?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm still a bit confused about best practices for oil drilling and refining.

How many pumpjacks should I have going into each refinery?

Do I need inline pumps if I'm running a very long pipeline to my refinery and/or chem plants?

It seems like I need a lot more Petroleum Gas (Plastic and Sulfur) than Heavy Oil (Lubricant) or Light Oil (umm... solid fuel?), at least at the moment. I never seem to produce gas quickly enough, and I end up with storage tanks full of refined oil and lubricant that I can't use. What should I be doing with all this stuff?

You can happily have all your pumpjacks going into one pipeline that goes to all your refineries. Small pumps are only needed if you're pumping obscene distances by pipe, like 700 units of pipe (and by quirk underground pipes only count their aboveground parts so literally thousands of actual squares) will still have the flow rate to feed like 15 refineries. If you see pipes that are both totally full near the pumpjacks but basically empty at your refinery you'll know you need small pumps but that probably won't ever happen. You should try to research advanced oil processing ASAP, it lets you change your refineries to produce more gasoline and lets you use chemical plants to turn heavy oil into light oil and light oil into petroleum. Until then, just keep storing it.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

My wife also likes watching Factorio, and it's one of the only games she's ever showed interest in :iiam:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

God drat setting up rails for the first time takes soooo much metal it's insane, first thing I do once I have the fat stacks rolling in is to automate the gently caress out of infrastructure like the fast goodbelts and rails and everything

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

lazorexplosion posted:

My wife also likes watching Factorio, and it's one of the only games she's ever showed interest in :iiam:

sorry, your children will be autistic

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Baloogan posted:

sorry, your children will be autistic

At least now I know to buy them Star Citizen packages in advance.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Indecisive posted:

God drat setting up rails for the first time takes soooo much metal it's insane, first thing I do once I have the fat stacks rolling in is to automate the gently caress out of infrastructure like the fast goodbelts and rails and everything

I automate making rails too.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Indecisive posted:

Check out the stamina mod. It basically drains life if you assemble something personally. Therefore if you have something decently big to output(belts, rails, etc) you are basically forced to come up with a way of automating it. It gives to Factorio much more flavor.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Indecisive posted:

Normally I never bother since stock has everything in belt range. The RSO game I've got is eating steel like crazy, a new spur off the main line to pick up a discovered resource costs 400 to 600 straight rails which just gets worse the further out I move to find more stuff. I can't afford the iron for red belts yet, everything goes into rail expansion or science for now.

Loopoo posted:

That's what I love about this game: there's always something to better perfect.

Or as said, just walk in laser turrets and win every time. The personal defence lasers are actually bad for you IMO. They attack automatically, drawing aggro onto you but they don't do enough damage to kill things. If you plop down a laser turret in front of you so it gets aggro, nothing will even look at you while it stays alive.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Pretty sure the only way to play this game correctly is with breakfast machine on repeat

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yeah I'm using RSO too actually, I like it so far. I also turned down enemy base spawns, and the map actually feels like something I can EXPLORE instead of being surrounded on all sides by loving neverending walls of aliens, it's nice. I actually just got in my car and drove a huge distance around for fun for once.

I won't bother with the stamina mod though, standing around crafting hundreds of red belts is punishment enough, i don't need to worry about dying while I do it. Now that my failing copper lines are being supported by rail, its time to turn my new massive iron expo into PURE INDUSTRY

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 22, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The health gauge comes up so little I'd imagine I'd just end up ignoring it if not committing suicide every half hour. What I really need is a mod with a peripheral that hits me on the nose with a newspaper every time I manually craft something my factory is already tooled to make automatically and I just haven't place the assembler yet.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Indecisive posted:

Yeah I'm using RSO too actually, I like it so far. I also turned down enemy base spawns, and the map actually feels like something I can EXPLORE instead of being surrounded on all sides by loving neverending walls of aliens, it's nice. I actually just got in my car and drove a huge distance around for fun for once.

I won't bother with the stamina mod though, standing around crafting hundreds of red belts is punishment enough, i don't need to worry about dying while I do it.

Quite. If I wanted to limit hand crafting I'd use the No hand crafting mod (which I started a game with but haven't gotten around to finishing). I'm not using FARL though, a handful of blueprints and a pocketful of rails.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

lazorexplosion posted:

That's three. Now it's a pattern.
This merits further study.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Maybe it only works on wives, because my girlfriend looked at Factorio and told me her head hurt and that she would rather play smite again.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there a way to break things down into their components?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

zedprime posted:

Combat gets a little weird by the time your factory is set up. The tank isn't a tank, its a battering ram. You can run it through as many mobile enemies as you'd like and about half a dozen spawners or worms before needing a repair. But by the time you have mk2 armor that's getting a little old and crusty for methods because you or your bots need to get out and repair it more often than you probably want to at that stage of the game.

So you load up with a comfortable amount of exoskeletons and shield with 2-3 reactors. Take a combat shotgun with a load of AP shells. And get some poison capsules and distractor capsules cranking out at the least, destroyer capsules only if you already have the research that allows extra combat followers. Kite horde around while you rain shotgun fire into whatever is in range and use poison to soften up worms. Combat shotgun is amazing, but there's no such thing as enough shield for large+ spitters and large worms so you need to kite and get some indirect stuff like poison and distractors going.

e. alternately you go full weirdest and just use large power poles and laser turrets. A little more planning, some WWI style battle lines moving forward, but you can just leave the junk there as forward batteries that stop things from spawning so near in the future.

Ok I'll give that a shot. I haven't used robots much.

One other thing. I ran a test to see how much power a single solar panel produced. In one day it filled 4 accumulators (20MJ?). The wiki says you need 0.84 Accumulators per solar panel. Even with the panel powering the base and charging accumulators it seems like you'd need more than that.

PS I did make sure the test bed was not connected to my main power grid.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Pretty sure the only way to play this game correctly is with breakfast machine on repeat

nah, the how it's made theme song.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Travic posted:

Ok I'll give that a shot. I haven't used robots much.

One other thing. I ran a test to see how much power a single solar panel produced. In one day it filled 4 accumulators (20MJ?). The wiki says you need 0.84 Accumulators per solar panel. Even with the panel powering the base and charging accumulators it seems like you'd need more than that.

PS I did make sure the test bed was not connected to my main power grid.
Under a real load, the solar panel needs to multitask. You can think of the power accounting as it is supplying the day time power to consumers simultaneously with the night time power to accumulators for those same consumers.

Depending on the laser stress on your power grid you can float more accumulators per panel, but just adding more of both in the nearest ratio to the ideal is just as easy since accumulators are usually the limiting component if you have anywhere near the same love/hate relationship with oil as I do.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The mod I'd like to see is a change to the research bar:

pre:
Researching Teledildonics
█████████░░░░░░░░░░░░
Labs: 30
Sci: 30/30/12/30
"Oh, looks like I need more Blue Science I guess :yayclod:"

Qubee
May 31, 2013

zedprime posted:

Under a real load, the solar panel needs to multitask. You can think of the power accounting as it is supplying the day time power to consumers simultaneously with the night time power to accumulators for those same consumers.

Depending on the laser stress on your power grid you can float more accumulators per panel, but just adding more of both in the nearest ratio to the ideal is just as easy since accumulators are usually the limiting component if you have anywhere near the same love/hate relationship with oil as I do.

I don't understand accumulators. How can I accurately determine if my stored up energy is enough to keep laser turrets firing at peak performance for 20 seconds? They're both in different units. Watts and Joules.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
A joule is a watt second.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Loopoo posted:

I don't understand accumulators. How can I accurately determine if my stored up energy is enough to keep laser turrets firing at peak performance for 20 seconds? They're both in different units. Watts and Joules.

wikipedia posted:

The watt (symbol: W) is a derived unit of power in the International System of Units (SI), named after the Scottish engineer James Watt (1736–1819). The unit is defined as joule per second[1] and can be used to express the rate of energy conversion or transfer with respect to time. It has dimensions of L2MT−3.

Watts are joules per second. Solar panels are measured in the one because it's a rate of generation, laser turrets in another cuz that's per-shot rather than over a set period of time like a second.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Loopoo posted:

Watt is defined as Joule/second so you could ideally math it, however I'm not sure the turret interface is always accurate. The way it works is that each shot costs 800 kJ in addition to the 6 kW idling cost, so consumption starts at 2.4 MJ/second extra while firing 3 shots/second and increases to 6.24 MJ/s at maximum research and 7.8 shots/second.

Estimate: 1 full accumulator feeds 1-2 seconds of continuous fire for 1 laser turret.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is solid fuel any less polluting than coal per joule output?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Loopoo posted:

Beside the cornerstone everybody mentioned, if you're looking at accumulators to soak laser shots:

An unupgraded laser turrets can shoot 3 times per second at 800kJ, or a power draw of 2.4 MW

An accumulator can provide energy at a rate of 300kW, up to a total of 5.0MJ

To keep up with the power draw without touching standard generation, you need 8 (300kW*8=2.4 MW) accumulators per turret. This gives you 40MJ of resevoir, or 50 shots, or 16 seconds of uninterrupted firing.

Upgrading to 20 seconds, then you need a bigger resevoir. So 2.4MW*20s=48MJ. 48MJ/5MJ=9 or 10 accumulators per turret.

This all changes when you change the firing speed. So you can do the math for the new firing speed, or just slam down solar fields everywhere because space is cheap at default biter settings.

e. Strict power accounting is neat but flying by the seat of your pants is really fun, because when you end up shorting power for laser turrets at night the game turns into a horror movie. The lights start flickering with each laser shot, assemblers grind to a hault, and inserters get all herky jerky and that's when you know the bugs are coming

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 22, 2016

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

peepsalot posted:

Is solid fuel any less polluting than coal per joule output?

No. Its main benefit is that it is denser, meaning more storage/buffer and less inserter movement, and as an oil product is infinite (though coal is plentiful). Fuel type doesn't affect pollution at all.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is there a good mod that adds an energy system for late game? Placing dozens of solar and accumulator blueprints gets tedious fast.

Also is there a mod that manages blueprints? I have so many and they take up so much room.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

oh my god I need SO MANY CIRCUITS NOW

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My life cycles between having too much oil, and producing enough plastic and sulfuric acid to keep my circuit + science assemblies going, to having no oil and everything grinding to a halt. It's so frustrating.

I've started maybe 4 oil outposts, and they all get drained in no time and then I have to disassemble it because the biters are too big and strong for me to leave outposts around, otherwise I just lose laser turrets, pumpjacks and roboports needlessly.

I'm happy though because with my new armour I can wade through biter nests and kill them all.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 22, 2016

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
If you just leave it as pumps and underground pipes I don't think I have ever seen those attacked by themselves

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

zedprime posted:

Ok. I'm trying to plan how many solar panels I need to run my base. My laser turrets aren't used much since I've been very aggressive about removing nests that are affected by my pollution so attacks are rare and small.

So a solar panel produces about 20MJ during daylight hours.

A day lasts 417 seconds.

I add up all the kW in my base and that's how much power I need per second?

My secondary resource base: 12 electric miners. 12*90*417=450,360kW per day. 450,360/20,000=22.5(round up to 23) solar panels to power them all day and night? With 20 accumulators?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

ianmacdo posted:

If you just leave it as pumps and underground pipes I don't think I have ever seen those attacked by themselves

Pumpjacks produce pollution though, and that causes biters to attack it. Esepcially if it's way out in the middle of nowhere, it'll be the only pollution producing agent nearby and all the biters will flock to it.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Travic posted:

Ok. I'm trying to plan how many solar panels I need to run my base. My laser turrets aren't used much since I've been very aggressive about removing nests that are affected by my pollution so attacks are rare and small.

A day lasts 417 seconds.

My secondary resource base: 12 electric miners. 12*90*417=450,360kW per day. 450,360/20,000=22.5(round up to 23) solar panels to power them all day and night? With 20 accumulators?

You need more solar panels. That's always how many solar panels you need. More.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Travic posted:

A day lasts 417 seconds.

Working off the math cited for the accumulator ratio which should still apply since day/night hasn't been changed apparently. There's an even easier rule of thumb, and it puts 23 solar panels as kind of lowballing (it puts a theoretical day closer to 15MJ per panel so not sure where the discrepancy was vs your practical test, but whatever, the engineering bottom line is use what works even if the math is against it): for a totally solar operation, you want solar generation = 1.67 1.42 * average consumption, with accumulators ratioed to 0.84/panel from there. So for the miner example closer to 30-31 25-26 panels and 26-27 21-22 accumulators.

Or else just

mastermind2004 posted:

e. fixed way after the fact for fat fingering the calculator

zedprime fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 22, 2016

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Travic posted:

A day lasts 417 seconds.

Don't forget that solar panels don't work at 100% efficiency all the time. They start low as the sun comes up and decrease production as it goes down, giving only 100% production for a percentage of the day cycle.

Also:

mastermind2004 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And always more iron and copper and holy poo poo so many circuits...