Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hauki
May 11, 2010

fickle poofterist posted:

I don't normally but this one is machine washable :shrug:

Also I am pretty sure the only reason knife manufacturers reccomend against dishwahers is because the blade edge may be struck by other objects and cause damage more then anything else.

Edit: I wash my $5 Victorinox fruit and veg knife in the dishwasher too, I'm bad at looking after my knives I guess

There are also abrasives in most/all(?) dishwasher detergents that help gently caress up the blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Fair enough, that makes sense.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've never understood why you'd want to put a knife into the dishwasher anyway. Steak/butter knives, sure...they're regular silverware and a pain to clean in any quantity. But a chef knife is just a long, wide piece of metal that takes literally 15 seconds to wash, rinse, and dry.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I didn't mean to spark dishwasher chat. I literally only do it with one (now two )knives that aren't part of my cutlery.

I probaly wont put the boner knife in the dishwasher going forward because its a bit long anyway.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I think the reason they tell you not to put your fancy sharp knife in the dishwasher is actually so that the knife doesn't damage the dishwasher.

I've found through personal experience that the agitation will make them cut holes in the basket. Some baskets have a special slot for sharp knives but that's usually so awkwardly placed that it's obviously not actually intended for use. Also if a sharp knife were to fall from the top basket it could probably penetrate the thin aluminum at the bottom or damage the spinner, although this is just a guess.

I'm not sure I believe a lot of the other reasons put forward. Don't want dings? Don't but the knife next to other hard objects. Don't want rust? Don't leave it in there wet.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I always put mine in blade-up in the upper rack however, someone replied to my same line of questioning a while back and said that the buildup of minerals etc from the dishwasher cycle goes toward blunting the edge, iirc? So I quit putting them into the machine unless I'm just feeling super lazy and want to re-wash and sharpen them again in a day or two.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011
I need to buy a knife for my brother as a wedding present. He wants: ~8", stainless (carbon core would be okay, just not entirely carbon), Western handle, and it can't be plain steel - he wants Damascus or dimples or something unique. Do any of you have suggestions?

Under $200 would be ideal, but I can push that a bit.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
SubG GrAviTy84 (I think it was him I checked, it's Gravity, click the link for his posts about them in this thread) is more familiar with them but GEKKO makes knives that hit all your requirements and are good quality. Ebay is a decent source. You want either the VG10 or 19c27 knives.

deimos fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 5, 2016

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Bought one of these for 15 bucks.

I always wanted something that can chop a small piece of boned meat in half, it opens up a lot more cuts of meat to me.

Is the honing & sharping process any different to a knife that doesnt chop bones?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Just got my Tojiro DP gyuto. It's everything I wanted and some more! If I had to do it again I'd get the santoku or nakiri though since I already have an alright chef's knife and would have enjoyed something with a slightly larger blade. Probably going to get a honesuki in a few months and might cave in for a nakiri at some point if I like how it sharpens.

OOTB it is by far the sharpest knife I've handled. The knife back does dig in my index finger (where I pinch grip) a bit when using it though. Was thinking of rounding out slightly on the sharpening stone. Anything I should know before proceding?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 5, 2016

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

KingColliwog posted:

OOTB it is by far the sharpest knife I've handled. The knife back does dig in my index finger (where I pinch grip) a bit when using it though. Was thinking of rounding out slightly on the sharpening stone. Anything I should know before proceding?

Put it in a vice if you have one, and round out the edge with sandpaper.

That said, knives digging into the base of your index finger is just a Thing That Happens. Lots of us have knife callouses right there.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Put it in a vice if you have one, and round out the edge with sandpaper.

That said, knives digging into the base of your index finger is just a Thing That Happens. Lots of us have knife callouses right there.

Yeah I know, but my other chef knife does not do it (or not as much). It's just a bit too sharp and I'm sure it'll be fine if I round it a little bit.

Thanks for the tip about using a vice. I'll do that for sure

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
If you just want to ease the edges I don't think I'd bother doing the shoeshine method with sandpaper. I just knocked the crisp edges off mine with a DiaFold.

If you do want to full on crown the spine or choil then I would put it in a vice and then use sandpaper (you can back the sandpaper with some tape to add some strength/tear resistance) in a shoeshine motion.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Hey knife thread,

I am in the market for a decent meat cleaver for <$50 or so. It'd be mostly used for meat and large hard squashes and such, and not terribly frequently. I'd absolutely love to get an old-school cleaver with the classic murder weapon aesthetic, and since none of the new options in my price range really fit the bill (or were bad quality), I went to eBay and found a lot of old Foster Bros. cleavers. Some of them look to be pretty good deals. From what I've found on the company, they made pretty good cutlery in the first half of the 20th century, and for the cleavers I've seen for sale, I figured that as long as the handle was in good shape, it'd be a better deal for the money than a new one, and more awesome-looking.

I showed my boyfriend some of the Foster Bros. cleavers I was looking at, and he got all freaked out at the idea of a 100-year-old cleaver with a dark patina on it being used for cooking. I was all :confused: and pointed out my parents' 19th century Griswold skillets they use every day and my 80-year-old toaster and 120-year-old china set. Is there any reason at all I shouldn't buy an antique cleaver for regular use as long as I make sure it's cleaned up?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Authentic You posted:

Hey knife thread,

I am in the market for a decent meat cleaver for <$50 or so. It'd be mostly used for meat and large hard squashes and such, and not terribly frequently. I'd absolutely love to get an old-school cleaver with the classic murder weapon aesthetic, and since none of the new options in my price range really fit the bill (or were bad quality), I went to eBay and found a lot of old Foster Bros. cleavers. Some of them look to be pretty good deals. From what I've found on the company, they made pretty good cutlery in the first half of the 20th century, and for the cleavers I've seen for sale, I figured that as long as the handle was in good shape, it'd be a better deal for the money than a new one, and more awesome-looking.

I showed my boyfriend some of the Foster Bros. cleavers I was looking at, and he got all freaked out at the idea of a 100-year-old cleaver with a dark patina on it being used for cooking. I was all :confused: and pointed out my parents' 19th century Griswold skillets they use every day and my 80-year-old toaster and 120-year-old china set. Is there any reason at all I shouldn't buy an antique cleaver for regular use as long as I make sure it's cleaned up?

The patina is unlikely to be a source of contamination, but an old handle may. Handle condition, and it having been sharpened so many times that it no longer holds a good edge are the things to look out for IMO

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hey one of my knives has a crack in the handle. Is there something I can use to seal it up and keep water/food particles out of it?

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

TheQuietWilds posted:

The patina is unlikely to be a source of contamination, but an old handle may. Handle condition, and it having been sharpened so many times that it no longer holds a good edge are the things to look out for IMO

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not worried about patina - I know it's just what the steel does and I guess I could buff it off if the bf really doesn't like it. The main thing I've been looking at is handle quality - there are plenty of idiots trying to sell these things with crusty disintegrating handles for way too much money, so I'm steering clear of those. Also, I most of these have plenty of blade and look like they've been maintained/sharpened appropriately, but there have been a couple that are so ground down they don't even look like cleavers anymore, also steering clear of those.

I have some cutting board oil I can use to maintain the handles, so I'll be able to keep the wood in good shape.

edit: found a nice c. 1920's one with minimal patina (because according to bf, patina = rust) and a really nice-looking handle and picked it up via Buy Now. It is enormous.

Authentic You fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 7, 2016

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Hey one of my knives has a crack in the handle. Is there something I can use to seal it up and keep water/food particles out of it?

Maybe black silicone, then wipe away everything that does not go into the crack, problem is it wont do anything to stop the crack from expanding.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

CA glue or epoxy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, so apply superglue, rub it into the crack and over and around the crack.. is it something I'll have to sand smooth after?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
You'll want to push whatever glue you use down into the crack as much as possible. "Over" won't actually do anything to help. Once you have the glue in the crack, clamp the crack shut again with a vice or c-clamp of some kind. Glue alone doesn't really hold stuff together.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 8, 2016

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Be a man. Slap some gaffer tape on it and call it a day.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

If you have the money there is nothing wrong with a nice knife. If you want to know what plenty of people use in a kitchen that want a good knife but don't want to go broke = go with Victorinox or Forschner. (I think that is the older brand that went away according to my knife guy)

I don't know why they gave you a hard time though. Those high end knives are great if you have the cash and also if you work all loving day prepping food it makes your life easier.

I have a bread knife that is bad rear end and it was cheap. It is called Pure Komachi and they used to be made in Japan. Npw they are made in China and the quality is lovely. But that pure Komachi bread knife is awesome and I got it from a sharper image GOING OUT OF BUSINESS for eleven bucks and it kicks rear end.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Captain Log posted:

If you have the money there is nothing wrong with a nice knife. If you want to know what plenty of people use in a kitchen that want a good knife but don't want to go broke = go with Victorinox or Forschner. (I think that is the older brand that went away according to my knife guy)

I don't know why they gave you a hard time though. Those high end knives are great if you have the cash and also if you work all loving day prepping food it makes your life easier.

I have a bread knife that is bad rear end and it was cheap. It is called Pure Komachi and they used to be made in Japan. Npw they are made in China and the quality is lovely. But that pure Komachi bread knife is awesome and I got it from a sharper image GOING OUT OF BUSINESS for eleven bucks and it kicks rear end.

Forschner = Victorinox, same knives, different name. And yeah, the Victorinox knives are fine, high end stuff is much better but the Victorinox Fibrox line is very good for the price and well made for what it is. The benefits of the expensive knives are that they can move through lots of product quickly because they cut so well and they hold their edge much better so you don't have to worry much about the drat thing getting blunt on you while making your way through three cases of onions or whatever.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I've missed about 1000 posts in this thread, so sorry if it's already been addressed, but does anyone have an opinion on this knife set? I've never bought anything from this vendor, but the knives claim to be made from VG10 and the price is pretty good.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Don't buy a set would be feedback #1, right along with you get what you pay for, that's an unknown knife for the price similar to that of a Tojiro DP which if you get from a less than reputable source will have not insignificant flaws.

e: correction, they're not significant flaws, they're better described as "not insignificant"

deimos fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 18, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So for some reason the price of Victorinox knives has skyrocketed. Would Tramontina restaurant kitchen knives (the ones with the white handles) be a good substitute?

http://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-Co...tina+chef+knife

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

So for some reason the price of Victorinox knives has skyrocketed. Would Tramontina restaurant kitchen knives (the ones with the white handles) be a good substitute?

They look to be roughly the same construction style. Various searches on Google places their steel at around 55hrc which is "good enough" but not great. As long as you're careful about maintaining the edge or regularly sharpening they should be fine.

Or you could get one of these

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

I have what I am 99.9% sure are the same knives, but they used to be sold under the Sam's Club house brand at Sam's. The Sam's ones are now made in China, but used to be made in Brazil when I bought mine. For the money ($15 or less for the pack) they are outstanding. If you have a Costco that carries them (Tramontina Pro Line), they are also available at under $15.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hey using the steel really works

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Tramontina is a good Brazilian steelworks company. They have a pretty stupid naming convention for their kitchen knife lines, like naming their basic setup "Professional" and the stuff that you really want with no indication whatsoever of their quality. Look for "Century" knives made by them, which is the suggested line for cooks who have a higher standard for their cutlery - don't know if they are exported, though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just ran into this on Amazon. Anyone have one/can comment? I trust the brand.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015ZQSOQ

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just ran into this on Amazon. Anyone have one/can comment? I trust the brand.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015ZQSOQ

Mainly I'm curious what the thickness is

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Picked up a Masakage Sujihiki last week since chef knives to go is running a sale and I'd been thinking of getting one (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mash270su.html)

Holy poo poo is this thing reactive, its already got more of a patina on it then any other knife in my collection from just sitting open air on a mag block, I've only even used it once so far.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So, knifeophiles,

What brand is the knife pictured below? It's the best loving knife I ever had and it has, despite almost daily use, worked perfectly fine for 5-6 years without sharpening, while still being sharp enough to easily cut myself with. Thus I'm looking to buy a new one for a friend.

I know it looks almost exactly like the Satake No Vac knife (pictured below) which has been mocked in this thread before, but the text+logo on my knife does not match the Satake brand, so I'm not sure if it is another brand or simply an older Satake model, and I wouldn't want to buy another brand that might be shite.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
That knife isn't sharp dude. It's practically serrated.

No idea on the maker, looks like cheap stamped metal.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

That knife isn't sharp dude. It's practically serrated.

No idea on the maker, looks like cheap stamped metal.

Well, my non professional definition of sharp is "cuts food/things pretty effortlessly even into thin slices" and it fits that v:shobon:v

It has been much much better in that regard compared to my old knives which have all turned dull within a year or two, to the point where you basically mashed a tomato instead of cutting it if you tried to use them.

Also, that ridge + holes actually do work pretty nicely to prevent slices of vegetables to stick onto the blade when chopping.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

You should try a recently sharpened knife. You maybe just forgot what using one of those is like? No knife holds a good edge for 5 years.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You can see how bad the edge is on that knife from a low res picture. Is your other knife a book or maybe a tennis ball glued to a handle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Most home cooks use knives that are 10 years old and never have been sharpened. May be the accidental "serrations" on this one make it cut ok. I know my girlfriends prefers our horrible "serrated" knives which are the thinnest pieces of metal with some sort of cheap saw like serration on them over my good well sharpened knives...

• Locked thread