Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Huh? I could activate the sundown to sunrise scheduling on my Air 2 no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zwille posted:

Huh? I could activate the sundown to sunrise scheduling on my Air 2 no problem.

Welp I'm an idiot and apparently the setting was there all along.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
So I've been planning on getting my girlfriend and iPad for her birthday in a few days. We're going to Costa Rica in a couple of weeks and I'd love to use it to watch some movies or shows on the flight. I'm caught between the 16gb air 2 and the 64gb mini 4. The air 2 seems like a much better choice all around, but would we be able to stick say ~5-6 hours of tv and movies in there?

E: We're flying Delta and it looks like they have some sort of in flight streaming service too? Which could mitigate storage issues.

flosofl posted:

Always go for the most storage you can afford. If those are your only choices economically, the mini 4 is the better buy.

That seems to be the prevailing attitude in this thread, can I ask why? I'm genuinely asking, not trying to be a dink. Both my gf and I have 16gb iPhones and don't run into any real problems with storage. I imagine it won't see any real use aside from Facebook, YouTube, Prime, Spotify and Netflix.

martinlutherbling fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 21, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don't get a 16GB iPad; you will hate it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

martinlutherbling posted:

So I've been planning on getting my girlfriend and iPad for her birthday in a few days. We're going to Costa Rica in a couple of weeks and I'd love to use it to watch some movies or shows on the flight. I'm caught between the 16gb air 2 and the 64gb mini 4. The air 2 seems like a much better choice all around, but would we be able to stick say ~5-6 hours of tv and movies in there?

Always go for the most storage you can afford. If those are your only choices economically, the mini 4 is the better buy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
A couple years ago I could have bought a 16GB iPad Air for $500, but bought the Nexus 10 for $400. Then Google killed official updates support for the thing while the Air 1 is still pretty far from going into the night. I got pretty mad I didn't spend that extra $100.

I thought today was going to be the day where I fixed that mistake, but now I'm looking at Surface Pro 3 instead of this poo poo because why not. An extra $100 is one thing, an extra $250 is another.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I disagree that high amounts of storage is essential and feel that it comes down to your specific uses. Personally I have a 32gb 13 inch Pro and it is totally, 100% fine with no issues at all. My music and video usage is all in the cloud, though.

The only things that are going to balloon your storage needs are:

-storing multiple movies in high quality
-storing your huge music library (because it's 2008 apparently).
-having tons of games
-storing tons of files for work

That covers the vast majority of use cases, I would say.

Anyways, I find the new 10 inch Pro to be a weird device. It's expensive... I got my 13 inch Pro 32gb for $700 new @ retail. It's a Pro device, and has enough size for people to actually work on things easily.

There are stock images floating around of people doing architect work on their 10 inch Pro tablet, it looks so tiny, I don't see how Apple thought those shots would be persuasive. One of my best friends is a civil engineer and his firm loves the Pro, but good luck getting them to give a poo poo about the 10 inch version.

Craptacular! posted:

A couple years ago I could have bought a 16GB iPad Air for $500, but bought the Nexus 10 for $400. Then Google killed official updates support for the thing while the Air 1 is still pretty far from going into the night. I got pretty mad I didn't spend that extra $100.

I thought today was going to be the day where I fixed that mistake, but now I'm looking at Surface Pro 3 instead of this poo poo because why not. An extra $100 is one thing, an extra $250 is another.

The 13 inch Pro is freaking good. Don't discount it based on size unless you're absolutely sure it won't work for you. I thought it looked big, but can't live without it now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Taima posted:

The 13 inch Pro is freaking good. Don't discount it based on size unless you're absolutely sure it won't work for you. I thought it looked big, but can't live without it now.

Can't afford a 13" Pro. Was looking at the 10" but I'm in the same boat of everyone else seeing that Apple has decided to yet again sell models featuring Not Enough Space and Too Much Space. And while I went ahead and gave them their profits for more space than I actually need on a phone, I can't do that again.

Maybe the Air 2 will be discounted further by retailers over the summer. The sound quality is poo poo, but 64GB for $400 would be my trigger point.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I bought a 128gb ipad pro last month, which is completely full of media. Would have bought the gently caress out of a 256gb model had I known the big pros were being updated today. drat you, apple.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Craptacular! posted:

I don't really understand this. A couple years ago you could have bought a 16GB iPad Air for $500, and a 32GB for $600. Next week you can order a 32 GB 10" iPad Pro for $600.

Since you later mention "too little space" I assume you aren't interested in a 16GB model, right? In that case, old would have been $700 for 64GB and new is $750 for 128, isn't it?

I understand fifty bucks is fifty bucks, but I'm not really seeing a strong reason for anger here.

Unless you're under the impression the base 10" Pro is only 16 GB?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Apple are cunts about storage space, doesnt matter the device.

You cant spec up the SSD on any of the base model Macbook Airs or MBPrs - you have to go up from the base model to the next tier before you can do so.

The 16GB iphone 6 is a joke, and the next size up being 64GB is just to push you to spend more. the base should have been 32GB.

the iPad range, every single device is missing a logical tier of storage that is a happy middle ground specifically to push you up a bracket.

Also, I dont get why people think wanting to have 'your' music stored on the phone is a bad thing. I have 160GB of music, and I dont need it all with me at all times, but its still music I have collected and appreciate, and I like to have a good collection of my favorite albums on my phone. Im not about to start paying $12/mo to Spotify to listen to music I have already paid for just so I can buy a smaller capacity phone or tablet. It is always cheaper to buy the storage and use it than not have and pay a subscription over the life of the device (2 years phone, 3-4 years tablet) not to mention additional burden on your monthly data allowance.

EDIT: you cant even upgrade storage on the 13" MBPr until you buy the top tier model. the base 15" can be spec'd up though. iMacs you cant spec above 256GB until you're in top tier for the 21".

The storage limitations on all their base products are to make you opt for the more expensive model every time as its a super easy push for any sales rep. "ooh, do you think that 16GB will be enough to store all your photos from your trip, or all the movies you want to watch on the flights? better go up a tier to.....4 times the amount of the previous model you were going to buy?"

Laserface fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 22, 2016

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Craptacular! posted:

Why not? The Surface Pro 3 is a compromise device. It's not as good at doing tablet stuff as an iPad (or Android), and it's not as good at PC stuff as a "real" laptop or desktop. I own one and I like it when I want to travel with a single device, but I use my iPad way more than my Surface.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Laserface posted:

You cant spec up the SSD on any of the base model Macbook Airs or MBPrs - you have to go up from the base model to the next tier before you can do so.

EDIT: you cant even upgrade storage on the 13" MBPr until you buy the top tier model. the base 15" can be spec'd up though. iMacs you cant spec above 256GB until you're in top tier for the 21".
This is a spurious claim. For both MBA sizes and the 13" MBPr, the "next tier" is literally the base model with more storage. I guess you can complain that you can't get a 2.7 GHz 13" MBPr with more than 256 GB, but given Apple's pricing model, the $300 jump from 2.7/256 to 2.9/512 isn't terribly out of line with what they would charge for just the storage upgrade on a 2.7. In fact, the jump from 256 to 512 GB on the 15" is $300, so really you're getting a free processor upgrade with the added storage on a 13" model.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 22, 2016

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah, I see that now. Though it does make you wonder why the option to put the highest available storage isn't present in the build page. Why not just make it like the iPad purchase screen?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Laserface posted:

Yeah, I see that now. Though it does make you wonder why the option to put the highest available storage isn't present in the build page. Why not just make it like the iPad purchase screen?
I'd bet it's because only certain configurations are available for immediate pickup at Apple Stores (likely models without any upgrades), while others are only available built to order.

EDIT: It's this. Base models are all available in store but as soon as you upgrade processor or RAM, it becomes ship to store/delivery.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 22, 2016

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

martinlutherbling posted:

E: We're flying Delta and it looks like they have some sort of in flight streaming service too? Which could mitigate storage issues.

That seems to be the prevailing attitude in this thread, can I ask why? I'm genuinely asking, not trying to be a dink. Both my gf and I have 16gb iPhones and don't run into any real problems with storage. I imagine it won't see any real use aside from Facebook, YouTube, Prime, Spotify and Netflix.

Isn't the air 2 and mini 4 at the same price point now? It's really just a screen size decision at this point I think and a slightly better CPU in the air 2.

I'd personally recommend a 64 GB if you plan on doing much offline stuff and/or games with the iPad. For reference assume a well done game is around 500 MB-1 GB and 22 minutes of TV is 850 MB. 90 minutes of movie is 2.5-3.5GB on my iPad right now.

If it'll never leave quality wifi, then a 16 GB can do reasonably well leaning on the cloud and streaming video.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Soo I returned the mini 4 instead of getting the bigger storage. The day and a half I spent with it made me realize that it was too much money for how often I'd be using it. It was a pretty cool piece of technology though but I'd rather put that money towards a MacBook this summer. If the Mini 2/4 doesn't suck a year from now maybe I'll grab a refurb just to have on hand. I definitely won't do the 16GB this time though.

I think for someone like me who has a gaming PC, decent phone and still reads paper books it's more of a plus than a necessity at home. I see it more as a travel device. Like I'd rather carry a tablet through plane journies and hotel rooms than a pricier laptop.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Social Animal posted:

I think for someone like me who has a gaming PC, decent phone and still reads paper books it's more of a plus than a necessity at home. I see it more as a travel device. Like I'd rather carry a tablet through plane journies and hotel rooms than a pricier laptop.

I'd say if you only see something as a travel device, then it's definitely not worth it. Just make do with a smartphone and keep the laptop in a carry-on.

Yeah, I think in general that if you're more comfortable using your laptop or any PC as a consumption device then a tablet makes a lot less sense as a secondary device. I used to use a gaming desktop for watching movies, browsing the web, etc but now find myself a lot more comfortable using a tablet for general digital housekeeping and time-wasting. That's probably why the iPad Pro line is so important, honestly, because I don't find myself ever using a tablet for anything other than those two tasks.

With that said, I'm still finding myself eyeing this new 10 inch iPad Pro. I haven't owned an iPad since my 2nd-gen New iPad (iPad 4?) bit the dust pretty disgustingly a year and a half ago. I'm generally not bad with devices but I think I'll spring for the Applecare if I ever do get another one.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I actually find the iPad amazing as a travel device. Way thinner and lighter than my laptop, especially after power bricks, and pretty much just as capable. It's just a little deficient in overall storage as it tops out at 128GB but I think that's totally worth it and I no longer bring a laptop around on trips. YMMV of course.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Welp I'm an idiot and apparently the setting was there all along.

You weren't imagining things, the option wasn't on my iPad after the update last night, but then it was there this morning.

wooly
Jun 5, 2005

For night shift, why would you use sunrise/sunset though? It's not like you need less sleep in the summer, more in the winter is it?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

wooly posted:

For night shift, why would you use sunrise/sunset though? It's not like you need less sleep in the summer, more in the winter is it?

Huh? I thought the setting just meant when the sun sets, it will enable night shift mode and when the sun rises, it will disable it. Presumably because the sun is set when most people go to bed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

wooly posted:

Theoretically the color correction is supposed to be a function of the ambient light, which changes color starting around sunset if you are outdoors or near a window (this is what f.lux did/does). Apple has marketed it as a thing that helps you sleep though, which depends more on the clock than on the sun.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Kids, the Surface and IPad are not competing devices. They're not even in the same category. You're going to use Windows as a touch/pen OS maybe 5% of the time.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Looks like 9.3 fixed the smart cover volume display bug. :dance:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

arbybaconator posted:

I bought a 128gb ipad pro last month, which is completely full of media. Would have bought the gently caress out of a 256gb model had I known the big pros were being updated today. drat you, apple.

Same here. That's the only thing I'm bummed about on yesterday's news. :sigh:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Looks like reports are coming out that the smaller Pro has half the memory of the 13 inch, and a lower-clocked version of the A9X. Doesn't look like the underclock is that bad, but the memory being halved is not cool and continues the years-long narrative of Apple being shitheads about RAM and storage space.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

Taima posted:

Looks like reports are coming out that the smaller Pro has half the memory of the 13 inch, and a lower-clocked version of the A9X. Doesn't look like the underclock is that bad, but the memory being halved is not cool and continues the years-long narrative of Apple being shitheads about RAM and storage space.

Disappointing to be sure. I haven't bought an apple device in a long time, but I'm thinking of grabbing the iPad Air 2 now mainly because I want a tablet and the one I currently have (Lenovo Yoga) is a total piece. Now that the IPA2 is $100 cheaper would it be worth it to just get one and call it a day?

wooly
Jun 5, 2005

Biodome posted:

Huh? I thought the setting just meant when the sun sets, it will enable night shift mode and when the sun rises, it will disable it. Presumably because the sun is set when most people go to bed.

Depends where in the world you are, I'm in the UK, so not exactly a polar region of everlasting night, but in winter the sun sets before the working day finishes and my bosses get pissy if I go to sleep in the office.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Amish Ninja posted:

Disappointing to be sure. I haven't bought an apple device in a long time, but I'm thinking of grabbing the iPad Air 2 now mainly because I want a tablet and the one I currently have (Lenovo Yoga) is a total piece. Now that the IPA2 is $100 cheaper would it be worth it to just get one and call it a day?

Go for it! I'm a PC/Windows guy when it comes to computers, but I find the iPad Air design to be nearly perfect. They are just wonderful to hold, to operate, and they generally do everything you want a tablet to do with minimal fuss. Nothing comes close, in my opinion.

Unless money is no object, in which case, get the 13 inch Pro, because goddamn it is so good. But yeah, most people would be best served to get the Air 2 at this time.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Taima posted:

Are you also mad that they're selling a dual-core tablet when Samsung has 8 cores?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

withak posted:

Theoretically the color correction is supposed to be a function of the ambient light, which changes color starting around sunset if you are outdoors or near a window (this is what f.lux did/does). Apple has marketed it as a thing that helps you sleep though, which depends more on the clock than on the sun.

Yeah, I've always used f.lux desktop to keep from getting headaches from bright lights in the dark hours, the fact that warmer light also helps maintain your sleep cycle is just kinda bonus.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

fordan posted:

Why not? The Surface Pro 3 is a compromise device. It's not as good at doing tablet stuff as an iPad (or Android), and it's not as good at PC stuff as a "real" laptop or desktop. I own one and I like it when I want to travel with a single device, but I use my iPad way more than my Surface.

Having owned a netbook once, I know the laptop form factor isn't for me and I just want to take my desktop downstairs when my bedroom turns into a sweatbox in mid afternoons. I love my iPhone, but not enough to reach the price point of the 128GB Pro, which would be the one I would want.

I would take a Surface over an equivalent Android tablet any day. Microsoft at least is picking their own hardware, whereas Android devices die young deaths when it turns out a CPU is a dead end or a manufacturer and a vendor don't get along. In addition to that, I can use uBlock and extensions with Chrome instead of the crappy mobile OS version of Chrome.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 23, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

caiman posted:

How does Apple justify keeping the prices the same?

The only justification required is that the product sells so that a profit is made. I hope you don't actually think that any company owes you some fair tiering of services. The answer is just that people keep buying the thing, whether it's a smaller tablet or lovely cable.

Like, why do women's clothes cost so much despite being just like relatively tiny strips of fabric?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

carry on then posted:

Are you also mad that they're selling a dual-core tablet when Samsung has 8 cores?

I have the 13 inch Pro so I am not mad at all. I love my tablet. I am somewhat contemptuous of the way that Apple plans out its memory allocations, but that doesn't mean I'm mad about it.

Also why would I possibly care about the number of cores... as if the number of cores ever mattered... the Pro is exceedingly fast and there is absolutely no need for improvement in that area anytime soon. Caring about the number of cores in TYOOL 2016 is like caring about Megahertz of the processor (which is to say, it's ridiculous).

EDIT: Also, gently caress Android tablets. Look, like I said, I'm no Apple evangelist. But the iPad in particular is one of the best examples of modern technology ever made IMO. It's pretty much glorious. The metal construction, the angles, the speed of the processor, the incredible pencil which has almost perfect palm rejection. The quality of the screen. Everything just works, sorry but it does.

Look. I'm a spoiled programmer rear end in a top hat, so I have plenty of really nice technology. But seriously, there are only three things in my house which still blow my mind on a regular basis, in no particular order:

1) The Herman Miller Embody chair, the best and most perfect chair of all time
2) The Dell U3415W monitor
3) My loving iPad Pro 13 inch. At work, it's my laptop with no compromises (for my uses). At home, it's something that I just think about how awesome it is all the time, like probably twice a week I'm just like "holy poo poo this is so good".

Sorry to ride Apple's dick, and yes they make some stupid poo poo, but the iPad, they got spot on.

Taima fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 23, 2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Amish Ninja posted:

Two main reasons to go for the Pro would be that the A9 is significantly faster, and the Pencil, if you ever plan on using a stylus (course that's another $100 to blow if/when you get that).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

not to continue the derail but core count is one of those things that PC master race retards tend to flock to because its a quantitative measure of how something is better than something else. For whatever reason, those people cannot fathom how something like an iPhone can be better with worse specs (hint, UX is more important than hardware, and they have zero understanding of how someone could possibly want something other than what they have)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

not to continue the derail but core count is one of those things that PC master race retards tend to flock to because its a quantitative measure of how something is better than something else. For whatever reason, those people cannot fathom how something like an iPhone can be better with worse specs (hint, UX is more important than hardware, and they have zero understanding of how someone could possibly want something other than what they have)

If you're gaming and using Windows, specs often do improve UX, so the whole apple thing is a bit of a mind shift. It doesn't really make much sense to me either how my two year old MBA boots faster, runs more smoothly, lets me get to work on photoshop or excel faster, and has longer battery life than any Windows machine I've used costing 2-3x more, but now I no longer get very excited about specs at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Laserface posted:

(hint, UX is more important than hardware, and they have zero understanding of how someone could possibly want something other than what they have)
Even ignoring this, Apple has a two-generation headstart on hardware over Android suppliers (Qualcomm, in particular), so despite having lower numbers they're still much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Amish Ninja posted:

Sure thing- but if you think you'd want high-performance stylus compatibility in the future, it might be worth spending the extra money for the new 9.7" Pro. At $599 for 32gb, it more-or-less costs the same as the Air used to at that storage level, even if the stylus is another $100 on top of that.

I'm one of the seemingly rare unicorns that actually does work stuff and even makes things using an iPad and the Apple Pencil is by far the nicest, most capable stylus you can get.

It easily rivals the Surface Pen, minus the annoyingly bendy tip.