Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What's the unique stuff that the Fire and Sky creed give you? I haven't been able to complete the pixel perfect jumping puzzle to get to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ The disciple seems to sell largely magic stuff.

What the everloving jesus am I supposed to do to get past these Spindlebeasts?

EDIT: ANd hey, I found this covenant after these poo poo sucking platform sections and there's a bit of hardlight walls up above that are almost close enough for me to jump to, but just out of reach. Am I really expected to air-dash there or...gently caress, I dunno, this is like that tower in GUacamelee but less fun.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 22, 2016

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Whats in the chest across from the Betrayer guy after you drop down the really long pit? I can't seem to make the jump off the dropping platforms (haven't tried dropping directly onto the chest platform but it seems pretty far)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This Witch is a bitch.

The gently caress do I do.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

The Duke posted:

Whats in the chest across from the Betrayer guy after you drop down the really long pit? I can't seem to make the jump off the dropping platforms (haven't tried dropping directly onto the chest platform but it seems pretty far)

The only Drowned Tome (final upgrade material for some weapons) in the game unless you beat Unspeakable Deep in the prologue

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This Witch is a bitch.

The gently caress do I do.

I went greatsword buffed with holy damage (after running out of fire buffs lol). did my best to pay close attention to when she hoses you with lightning, because that was the only attack that consistently killed me. Of course, it still took me about forty thousand in gold losses and a bunch of yelling, so YMMV. Her spinning red magic attack can be reliably jumped over, and her melee attack can be rolled through. It really sucked.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NotAnArtist posted:

I went greatsword buffed with holy damage (after running out of fire buffs lol). did my best to pay close attention to when she hoses you with lightning, because that was the only attack that consistently killed me. Of course, it still took me about forty thousand in gold losses and a bunch of yelling, so YMMV. Her spinning red magic attack can be reliably jumped over, and her melee attack can be rolled through. It really sucked.

oh gently caress me I did it, gently caress her, gently caress this.

Went with my axe, poison for DoT, just learned the pattern. It comes down to this--if I can run across the arena, I can dodge her homing attack, if I can't, I'm dead. Twenty times or so, throwing my head right at her, I just got loving good and dodged every other attack perfectly. I almost beat her without using a single healing item, then she sucker punched me right at the end. What an awful fight, god drat. Is there any way to dodge that homing poo poo besides just getting out of its range or drawing it out and dashing? Because both of those require a lot of space and this fight likes to box you in.

EDIT: Gotta go light roll, armor gives you NO benefits against her attacks and you can't afford to be slow.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 22, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The lack of a map is starting to make me lose interest. I'm not sure where to go and not in a fun way. No map doesn't work in 2d at all imo.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Witch is just, stay close, stay slightly behind her.

NESguerilla posted:

The lack of a map is starting to make me lose interest. I'm not sure where to go and not in a fun way. No map doesn't work in 2d at all imo.

http://saltandsanctuary.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route

Hopefully this is new and I don't seem like a punk, this helped a ton.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pladdicus posted:

http://saltandsanctuary.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route

Hopefully this is new and I don't seem like a punk, this helped a ton.

Cool thanks. I have zero qualms with using this after running around for an hour and finding nothing.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well I just got to what I assume is the last location. I just got asked a choice that I feel ties into the ending, so I better not have picked the bullshit ending route.

Anyone having trouble with The Unskinned should just use the unholy elemental weapon buff. Tears through the spellcaster like hot knife through butter.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
God, please tell me there's a loving inventory sort that I'm just not noticing.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

NESguerilla posted:

Cool thanks. I have zero qualms with using this after running around for an hour and finding nothing.

there's also this:

(I grabbed it from the fextralife site, not sure how accurate it is)

minya fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 22, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

minya posted:

there's also this:

Maybe stick that behind something so as to not spoil people?

EDIT: Last boss is kicking my rear end. I don't think you can parry him.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 22, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Holy crap the Flask of Defilement from the Betrayers covenant is amazing. Lowers defense/resistances of enemies and bosses by ALOT and they melt like butter.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lakbay posted:

What's the unique stuff that the Fire and Sky creed give you? I haven't been able to complete the pixel perfect jumping puzzle to get to them

They sell some weapons that scale with magic (that you can also get through transmutation) and one of their devotion items buffs your magic for a decent amount of time. They sell high level magic but it sounds like splendor/betrayer do that too.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

minya posted:

there's also this:

I think that's developer provided since it seems to be a 1:1 accurate view of the game world. Maybe from a time when the game used to have an ingame map? (On the LobosJr stream the devs talked about giving fextralife a huge infodump of internal game data to get them started on the wiki)

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Falcon2001 posted:

God, please tell me there's a loving inventory sort that I'm just not noticing.

share our pain, friend

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ymgve posted:

I think that's developer provided since it seems to be a 1:1 accurate view of the game world. Maybe from a time when the game used to have an ingame map? (On the LobosJr stream the devs talked about giving fextralife a huge infodump of internal game data to get them started on the wiki)

There is no excuse not to patch that map back into the game then. Honestly, though, this game needs a SOTN or Metroid style map, that shows me where I've been, so I can tell which paths that I went down three hours ago ended in lock doors, or where they were when I find a key. It's not going to break the game's difficulty in the slightest to offer that.

EDIT: Is there anything I should make sure I do before finishing the game? I'm at the final boss now. I got the Fire and Sky Creed already, but magic's useless to me.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 22, 2016

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I'm trying to follow along with the Solaire-buddy quests. I found the questing knight several times (he always seems to be right in the path) and the thief twice (she was kind of hidden the second time) but have yet to see the sorcerer at all. I just beat tree of men. Does he show up later of have I missed him?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

I'm trying to follow along with the Solaire-buddy quests. I found the questing knight several times (he always seems to be right in the path) and the thief twice (she was kind of hidden the second time) but have yet to see the sorcerer at all. I just beat tree of men. Does he show up later of have I missed him?

The sorcerer shows up way late. All the locations are in the wiki, which I recommend looking up (I've already missed the thief).

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

There is no excuse not to patch that map back into the game then. Honestly, though, this game needs a SOTN or Metroid style map, that shows me where I've been, so I can tell which paths that I went down three hours ago ended in lock doors, or where they were when I find a key. It's not going to break the game's difficulty in the slightest to offer that.

EDIT: Is there anything I should make sure I do before finishing the game? I'm at the final boss now. I got the Fire and Sky Creed already, but magic's useless to me.

They left it out intentionally, wandering lost of part of the experience I'm thinking, much like a Souls game. It comes with quest markers/maps making exploration a lot more mindless filling in check boxes verses.

hell of a lot more of a pain though.

Kill the Forgotten King is the only thing I think you should do, if you've got that go ham, everything'll be available to pick up on another run. Otherwise check the wiki for items you may want to nab like charms or rings?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Agreed on the map thing. If there was a map and a sort functionality I'd basically never stop playing this game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Two questions. Does your starting class really matter and how many chances do you get to respec?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Two questions. Does your starting class really matter and how many chances do you get to respec?

Starting class affects your beginning equipment set, and with the way the game doles out equipment that can count for a lot early on (pick a STR-based class like Paladin or Knight for an easier time, I went Hunter and regretted it). You get items that allow you to cancel certain nodes on the skill tree for respeccing, but they're few and far between. If you dump all your points into STR instead of DEX then don't expect to be able to reverse that partway through.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I unironically like the game better without a map, but then again I'm the type of person who doesn't really ever get lost in games, I always knew the possible routes to go I hadn't done, had a general sense of how areas connected etc. It takes away from that experience to mindlessly go down gray map areas like a checklist rather than having organic exploration and a sense you are actually in a dangerous unexplored world and not playing a video game. Alternatively, a map could just be a (expensive) buyable item or something, which would be fine I guess.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

So It Goes posted:

I unironically like the game better without a map, but then again I'm the type of person who doesn't really ever get lost in games, I always knew the possible routes to go I hadn't done, had a general sense of how areas connected etc. It takes away from that experience to mindlessly go down gray map areas like a checklist rather than having organic exploration and a sense you are actually in a dangerous unexplored world and not playing a video game. Alternatively, a map could just be a (expensive) buyable item or something, which would be fine I guess.

This as well. But I absolutely understand that this is not the norm. I don't want a purchasable item because I am a weak sod, and like following vague poorly worded instructions off a wiki. Dark Souls had maps too, but due to the 3d space were near indecipherable which also deep down pleased me.

Basically masochism for the sake of it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

As above, class picks are for equipment and SOME early speccing, it's easy to jump to the other side of the tree from any starting point really, but respeccing isn't much of a thing. You can correct mistakes, that's about it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Absolutely needs a map, 2D is much less intuitive than 3D. Wandering around endlessly trying to find the one hallway you haven't been down or a place to activate your new traversal skill that you passed 20 minutes ago is Not Fun.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Only thing in this game I am not enjoying (other than a map-wish) is not getting an Amber Idol. Having to farm-run the Gaoler thing in Red Cage is the easiest but has still taken me over an hour.

[ed] So far... with no drop yet.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Feenix posted:

Only thing in this game I am not enjoying (other than a map-wish) is not getting an Amber Idol. Having to farm-run the Gaoler thing in Red Cage is the easiest but has still taken me over an hour.

If you're able to get to Red Cages you can also get to the Dome and pick up the guaranteed one in there

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Feenix posted:

Shortly after this you should be at the point in the game where you have enough faction rank to just buy Amber idols from your faction merchant for 2.5k gold. No need at all to farm them.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

There's a merchant in the Red Cages that wants an ear from one of the scythe wielding guys. It seems like they never, ever drop though? Are her wares worth a drat?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fuligin posted:

There's a merchant in the Red Cages that wants an ear from one of the scythe wielding guys. It seems like they never, ever drop though? Are her wares worth a drat?

She sells the first and second tier of upgrade materials for some transmuted weapons, so yes, it's worth it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Been using the Queen of Smiles' sword to go with my magic character. What boss do I need to upgrade it further if at all? It's still Class 2.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

poptart_fairy posted:

Been using the Queen of Smiles' sword to go with my magic character. What boss do I need to upgrade it further if at all? It's still Class 2.

The Bloodless Prince will let you turn it into a class 3 scissors with S magic scaling.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Re: map. A general area map (like the one on this page) would be helpful but a block by block Castlevania map would make it lose something imo. I felt pretty lost at the start, but once I figured out how that first forest + the village of smiles connected, I sort of "got" how the game fit together. I don't think you're supposed to remember every single spot that you could use the brands before you get them, but be more like "poo poo, I've seen these obelisks before".

My bigger gripe is having to farm to increase my faction. You either have to farm junk or die a lot going through areas to get enough items. Even in the red cage area, where I died more than normal when going through a new area, I still had to go back and farm my 3rd torturer ear. It seems like you'll never get 3/3 naturally. I didn't like that part of Demons Souls.

Game is great though.

Oxxidation posted:

The sorcerer shows up way late. All the locations are in the wiki, which I recommend looking up (I've already missed the thief).

Thanks. I was having trouble utilizing the wiki but I just found the location lists. Good thing too because I think I'm at the part where they start getting harder to find.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Friend posted:

The Bloodless Prince will let you turn it into a class 3 scissors with S magic scaling.

Note that this is not necessarily worth it. Overall I found I was doing less damage than I was with the magic greatsword. Guess more late-game enemies are resistant to lightning than they are arcane.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

haveblue posted:

Absolutely needs a map, 2D is much less intuitive than 3D. Wandering around endlessly trying to find the one hallway you haven't been down or a place to activate your new traversal skill that you passed 20 minutes ago is Not Fun.

What if you never actually wandered around trying to find a hallway and remembered where the traversal gates were? A map really would've dampened the experience, but as long as it would be a purchasable item and not a default thing like in Metroid, then I would've refrained from purchasing it and it would be fine. A default map though would've taken me out of the game as I just systematically went through the black areas or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Another thing the map would kind of ruin is that first experience where you realize just how big this game actually is. That was a pretty cool moment for me and I'm glad I went in as blind as I did.

• Locked thread