Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Bedshaped posted:

I'm gonna keep enjoying the TV show for however long it airs.

Grant probably isn't goofy enough to bring the levity that Sneiderverse desperately needs.

If anything, the articles I read yesterday implied that Gustin would be *too* goofy for a Flash movie that would mesh with the rest of the somber DCCU. Weren't Lord/Miller originally on board to direct this? Was there ever indication why they left the project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Basebf555 posted:

In this case its not anything as stupid as the usual nerd complaints, I think people just really enjoy Gustin's portrayal of the character and would like to see him get a shot.

I mean he has a successful television show. I just don't know why they'd want to make the movies beholden to that history and characterization.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I thought Lord and Miller left because of scheduling issues.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Holy crap. I had no idea that any human being could not like The Lego Movie.

Bad children's humor and ugly, jittery animation the bulk of which was built around not characters but brands? Yeah, I would be shocked if any hoi polloi didn't like it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They were only attached as writers. They left because they are making the Han Solo movie. Their friend Seth Graham Smith is the new writer working on the script.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Scyantific posted:

I thought Lord and Miller left because of scheduling issues.

Also George Miller is still producing, last I checked.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

GonSmithe posted:

He's just being nice, the real reason is "lovely TV actors who no one has ever heard of can not be the stars of multi-million dollar franchise movies."

Yeah because Ben Affleck has such range and Henry Cavill had such name recognition

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
We can't have TV actors no one's ever heard of holding up our big comic book movies. Quick, get me Jason Momoa

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Hey man, Jason Momoa was in that lovely, awful, terrible Conan remake.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

soapgish posted:

Bad children's humor and ugly, jittery animation the bulk of which was built around not characters but brands? Yeah, I would be shocked if any hoi polloi didn't like it.
You never actually saw Lego Movie did you.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

soapgish posted:

This is a devastating own on Foodfight, as the lego movie is none of these things

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
There's a blu-ray rerelease of Lego Movie with Film Crit Hulk commentary, does anyone know if it's any good? I hate double dipping but I like good commentaries. I'm not sure how much the community here likes his articles, I think they're generally good if sometimes too long and in all caps.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Hey man, Jason Momoa was in that lovely, awful, terrible Conan remake.

Luckily for Momoa all people remember is how good he was as Drogo.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

TetsuoTW posted:

I did see it, with the animation that makes bad claymation look smooth and nice, toy cameos being wrongly called cast of characters because Batman is Batman is Batman and you know Batman, and the no laughs.

Plenty of stupid in me but I am lacking whatever makes bad children's media good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Basebf555 posted:

Yea because Ezra Miller is such a household name.

He may not be but he's a drat fine movie actor. Not television. He's moved on from his tv stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

soapgish posted:

I did see it, with the animation that makes bad claymation look smooth and nice, toy cameos being wrongly called cast of characters because Batman is Batman is Batman and you know Batman, and the no laughs.

Plenty of stupid in me but I am lacking whatever makes bad children's media good.

What are your thoughts on Wonder Woman (tm), Flash (tm), and Aquaman (tm) appearing in DC(c)'s Batman (tm) v Superman (tm): Dawn of Justice (tm)?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

What are your thoughts on Wonder Woman (tm), Flash (tm), and Aquaman (tm) appearing in DC(c)'s Batman (tm) v Superman (tm): Dawn of Justice (tm)?

You didn't ask me, but it looks very bad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just want to see Batman and Superman kill people because no one is truly innocent and everyone is deserving of justice.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope Affleck uses the phrase "hammers of justice" in the movie at least once.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I said come in! posted:

I just want to see Batman and Superman kill people because no one is truly innocent and everyone is deserving of justice.

You're coming with me rookie, I like it.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Not good if their mere appearance and our previous knowledge of them is all we're given to work with, but it actually seems like they may be the new Amber, Rocket, and Blondie to our Sweet Pea vs Baby Doll, which is to say far more artistic than given credit for.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

soapgish posted:

What makes your argument so bad is that the animation was good, so you just look like a nut.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

soapgish posted:

Not good if their mere appearance and our previous knowledge of them is all we're given to work with, but it actually seems like they may be the new Amber, Rocket, and Blondie to our Sweet Pea vs Baby Doll, which is to say far more artistic than given credit for.

I have no idea what that means but for the first part fair enough then.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Wendell posted:

What makes your argument so bad is that the animation was good, so you just look like a nut.
It made me feel like I was incessantly blinking, or the filmmakers were maliciously trying to induce seizures in people. Get it?! The blocks are blocky and so the animation is too!! Not good. By that logic the movie should have been five hours long because the people making the decisions are slow.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

I have no idea what that means

Oh, thank God I'm not the only one. I thought I'd had a stroke or something for a moment there.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sucker Punch?
Edit: Sucker Punch :shrug:
Edit 2: Just to be clear it's from Zack Snyder's Sucker Punch, not Jeff & Josh Crook's Sucker Punch.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 22, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

He may not be but he's a drat fine movie actor. Not television. He's moved on from his tv stuff.

If you think he's a better actor than Gustin, fair enough. But it was suggested that Gustin was never going to be cast simply because he's a t.v. actor that nobody has ever heard of. Audiences don't give a poo poo who's a t.v. actor and who's a movie actor, it means nothing in the context of casting and marketing a movie. People want to see good actors, that's it.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

Sucker Punch?
Edit: Sucker Punch :shrug:

Likening the team-up to the director's previous team-up via pairing characters, and stating a positive opinion about that.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

soapgish posted:

Batman is Batman is Batman and you know Batman
Except that Lego Movie Batman was very obviously poking fun at Batman Batman. Like so obviously that literal children got it. Tiny little actual manlets barely past understanding that things that are behind them still exist were able to catch that.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

TetsuoTW posted:

Except that Lego Movie Batman was very obviously poking fun at Batman Batman. Like so obviously that literal children got it. Tiny little actual manlets barely past understanding that things that are behind them still exist were able to catch that.

Yes, because it was a comedy for children so Batman fit that. And the joke of Batman was still that Batman has to be Batman for the jokes to work, making him the exact character I'm claiming. You may see the forest of idiot children quite clearly but you can't quite escape it yourself, huh? You liked the movie a whole heck of a lot, apparently, where I thought it poo poo. What a great world we live in!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

TetsuoTW posted:

My wife and I both extremely disliked the Lego movie. I think it might just be that Lord and Miller's humor just doesn't land for us. It was the only movie where I've ever actually considered walking out of the theater. I didn't because I thought my wife was enjoying the film but when we discussed it after it was over, she said she had the same thoughts as me.

I guess I just have very limited tastes when it comes to comedies and that didn't do anything for me. The whole movie felt like every joke was LOOK OUT WACKY WE ARE! ISNT IT FUNNY THAT WE ARE SO WACKY!? WOW!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i also thought the lego movie was kinda lame although the animation was indeed good.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

My wife and I both extremely disliked the Lego movie. I think it might just be that Lord and Miller's humor just doesn't land for us. It was the only movie where I've ever actually considered walking out of the theater. I didn't because I thought my wife was enjoying the film but when we discussed it after it was over, she said she had the same thoughts as me.

I guess I just have very limited tastes when it comes to comedies and that didn't do anything for me. The whole movie felt like every joke was LOOK OUT WACKY WE ARE! ISNT IT FUNNY THAT WE ARE SO WACKY!? WOW!
Yeah that sounds totally fine, tastes are tastes. Soapgish's arguments sound like they're aimed at a completely different movie though. Like I think they accidentally bought the Brazilian CGI knockoff from the supermarket.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I realized I fundamentally could never be best friends with my college roommate after he sat in the living room while GF and I laughed at an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, and when it was over he sneered and said "this was the stupidest show I've ever seen. I can't believe anyone would ever find this funny." then walked upstairs to put on his South Park DVDs.

Disclaimer: I also laughed at several bits of Lego movie (like Morgan Freeman dying mid-sentence) and also dumb and dumber, deadpool, portlandia, broad city, pee-wee's big adventure, party down, and Dr. Strangelove. Those are other shows/movies I've seen people get into heated arguments about hilarious vs. offensively stupid.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah that sounds totally fine, tastes are tastes. Soapgish's arguments sound like they're aimed at a completely different movie though. Like I think they accidentally bought the Brazilian CGI knockoff from the supermarket.

Threshold, the studio that made Foodfight, now makes low-budget straight-to-video lego movies.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

What was life like growing up with entirely handmade, homemade toys?

If u think I had any idea what brands the various thrift store bags full of toys & hand-me-down off-model dinosaurs were, u r assuming a level of wealth way beyond me.

e: Anyways the point isn't, like, "Anything with a brand is inherently bad" or something insane like that, just that it's sooo goofy 2 think The Lego Movie is like, pure, when the entire thing is built around what a dope toy it is for playing wtih the #fam. Get these drat Legos!! they will allow u to feel a connection with ur dad/son!! u will finally experience Family Happiness(Tolstoy) thru these sick fuckin semi-transparent fire pieces.

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 22, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Electromax posted:

I realized I fundamentally could never be best friends with my college roommate after he sat in the living room while GF and I laughed at an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, and when it was over he sneered and said "this was the stupidest show I've ever seen. I can't believe anyone would ever find this funny." then walked upstairs to put on his South Park DVDs.

I'm sorry neither of you like both funny shows and have become mortal enemies because of it.

I think the first SpongeBob movie is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm sorry neither of you like both funny shows and have become mortal enemies because of it.

I think the first SpongeBob movie is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

I like South Park just fine. He ended up asking me to be best man at his wedding, so apparently he doesn't put "sense of humor calibration" up there on the compatibility scale like I would.

I DO think that if someone really hated Seinfeld, that we wouldn't get along well. I think it's too emblematic of the kind of things I'm comfortable laughing at or whatever. Can understand not liking Lego's humor though, it's more frenetic and zany than even other Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks comedies of the same ilk. I think Deadpool shared some of that zaniness, it just draped it with swear words and violence.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

soapgish posted:

Get it?! The blocks are blocky and so the animation is too!!

Yeah, that was clever and fun. They could've put in regular particle and water effects, but then the lego aesthetic is just kinda pointless, and it would detract from the movie's aesthetic distinction between real world and lego world objects, like the glue, or when Vitruvius shows up as a ghost being held by a string, and his animation is way more fluid than the rest of the movie.

The Lego Movie is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Electromax posted:

I like South Park just fine. He ended up asking me to be best man at his wedding, so apparently he doesn't put "sense of humor calibration" up there on the compatibility scale like I would.

If you didn't scream "you didn't like Curb!" while beating him with a DVD box set before sleeping with his fiancée then you have no integrity :colbert:

• Locked thread