Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
For less than $100 you can get a used Canon 100-300 4.5-5.6 pretty much anywhere. If you want a cheap tele that you won't get too attached to if it gets stolen. I inherited one and it's not blazingly fast but fine if you need some cheap range and the autofocus is rapid enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I realize you might have just been using penguins as an example, but in case you weren't, be aware that penguins only come in to land around sunset, and trying to take pictures of penguins in the near-dark with that lens is going to be a bit of a challenge.

I have the 7-200 f/4 and definitely only had about a 10-15 minute window to shoot in before it got way too dark in New Zealand, and the shots taken in those last few minutes were definitely on the "ehhhh that's gonna have to get fixed in post" side of things.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

HookShot posted:

I realize you might have just been using penguins as an example, but in case you weren't, be aware that penguins only come in to land around sunset, and trying to take pictures of penguins in the near-dark with that lens is going to be a bit of a challenge.

I have the 7-200 f/4 and definitely only had about a 10-15 minute window to shoot in before it got way too dark in New Zealand, and the shots taken in those last few minutes were definitely on the "ehhhh that's gonna have to get fixed in post" side of things.

Use a flashbang on the penguins and arrange them in pretty poses while they recover. Best photo op ever.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Here are some pictures of animals that I took with the 55-250 IS II and a Rebel XSi (450D) (12MP), for your consideration. It's fine at 5.6 IMO... at least on a 12MP camera.

Red-shouldered Hawk 1 by S M, on Flickr

Green Heron 1 by S M, on Flickr

Great Blue Heron 1 by S M, on Flickr

E: but yeah if you're doing low light stuff you're going to want to get something that's as fast as you can afford. But that costs money. Anything in the telephoto department f/4 or faster is $$$$. Unless you go for adapted manual focus lenses; one of the benefits of mirrorless IMO.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 21, 2016

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

5.6 is fine at twilight IMO if things aren't moving and you have a stabilized lens or tripod. I have the 55-250 STM and it has very good IQ- except for more chromatic aberration, I think it's as sharp as my 300/4L. The ii seems pretty similar optically.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Any pics of the 6D side by side with any of the 5D variants? I'm interested in the small details.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Odette posted:

Any pics of the 6D side by side with any of the 5D variants? I'm interested in the small details.
I've always used this site to compare camera sizes

http://camerasize.com/compact/#380,312,192,328,ha,f

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks everyone. I might actually be legitimately shooting penguins as I'll be in South Africa, hence also the paranoia :v:

I had no idea about their habits, but in any case I don't want to drag around several grand and kilos of equipment - if it's too dark for 5.6 (which TBH felt slow even on the kit 18-55mm) then so be it, it's just vacation, not a paid gig.

But these samples look good enough for the price an my purposes, and really 5.6 isn't that much worse than 4.0 anyway which is the best I could realistically get. I did get to shoot with a 70-200 f/2.8 IS in a zoo once and that was pretty badass.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
When i went to see the penguins in South Africa they were out on the beach in the middle of the day so I wouldn't worry about light levels.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Odette posted:

I have a 5D3 and a 6D -- what in particular are you looking for?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

dakana posted:

I have a 5D3 and a 6D -- what in particular are you looking for?

Basically just side-by-side pictures of the two, wondering why the 6D is something like ~200g lighter than the 5D3. Thought it may have been a reduction in body size, but I'm pleased to see that it isn't.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Odette posted:

Basically just side-by-side pictures of the two, wondering why the 6D is something like ~200g lighter than the 5D3. Thought it may have been a reduction in body size, but I'm pleased to see that it isn't.

5D3 has a full magnesium alloy body, 6D doesn't

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

astr0man posted:

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that bit. Wifi wouldn't work otherwise.

I'll probably chuck some money at a 6D later this year. Kind of want to throw money at lenses first.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Odette posted:

Basically just side-by-side pictures of the two
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-Back-Comparison.aspx
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-Top-Comparison.aspx
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-Side-Comparison.aspx

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I'm trying to decide what lens I want to get for use on the wide end of things. I currently have a Sigma 35 1.4 Art, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100L Macro, and a 70-200 F/2.8L IS II. I previously owned a 24-70 2.8L and 17-40L at different times. The 35, 50, and 70-200 are my most used lenses. Looking through my LR catalog, Ive' shot about 8% of my photos at or under 24mm, so I'm considering the following three lenses:

16-35 F/4L IS
24-70 F/4L IS
Sigma 24mm F/1.4 Art

The 24-70 F/2.8L II would be amazing, I'm sure but it would be a stretch financially.

Any thoughts, goons?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

pseudonordic posted:

I'm trying to decide what lens I want to get for use on the wide end of things.

Any thoughts, goons?

I have the Sigma 24mm Art, which is a great lens, but I bought it before the 20mm Art was announced, which I would consider instead, now.

Between Sigma primes vs L zooms, question is: How much do you shoot in low light?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
There's also the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 which is a great lens, especially for the price.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
thats for crop sensors only

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

pseudonordic posted:

I'm trying to decide what lens I want to get for use on the wide end of things. I currently have a Sigma 35 1.4 Art, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100L Macro, and a 70-200 F/2.8L IS II. I previously owned a 24-70 2.8L and 17-40L at different times. The 35, 50, and 70-200 are my most used lenses. Looking through my LR catalog, Ive' shot about 8% of my photos at or under 24mm, so I'm considering the following three lenses:

16-35 F/4L IS
24-70 F/4L IS
Sigma 24mm F/1.4 Art

The 24-70 F/2.8L II would be amazing, I'm sure but it would be a stretch financially.

Any thoughts, goons?

Consider the 24-105 over the 24-70. Lighter, sharp, and the f/4 is a non-factor for wide, really.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Don't forget the 24 and 17mm TS-E lenses, they're really fun.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

astr0man posted:

Odette posted:

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that bit. Wifi wouldn't work otherwise.

I'll probably chuck some money at a 6D later this year. Kind of want to throw money at lenses first.

It's just a scootch smaller, too. Somewhat noticeable in the hand, but not really in a bad way.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

torgeaux posted:

Consider the 24-105 over the 24-70. Lighter, sharp, and the f/4 is a non-factor for wide, really.

The 24-70 F/4L IS is lighter than the 24-105 F/4L IS. :confused:

windex posted:

I have the Sigma 24mm Art, which is a great lens, but I bought it before the 20mm Art was announced, which I would consider instead, now.

Between Sigma primes vs L zooms, question is: How much do you shoot in low light?

The 35 Art and 50 1.4 are my go-to low-light lenses at the moment. I think I really just want to have coverage wider than 35.

Sounds like the 16-35 F/4L IS is the winner!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

pseudonordic posted:

The 24-70 F/4L IS is lighter than the 24-105 F/4L IS. :confused:

The 35 Art and 50 1.4 are my go-to low-light lenses at the moment. I think I really just want to have coverage wider than 35.

Sounds like the 16-35 F/4L IS is the winner!

Sorry, I was just referring to your reverential desire for the 24-70 f/2.8II. As for the 24-70 f/4, unless the IQ is much better, I'd still go for the extra reach of the 24-105.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'm shooting a concert tonight and all of my long and fast lenses are in storage. None of the local camera shops can rent me anything useful so i asked at work if anyone had a lens that they could lend me that was 135mm or longer and F4 or faster. I ended up with this beast. Solid steel, m42 mount (with an EF adapter) and it weighs about 6kg. I really hope I can be close enough to the stage that I don't need to use it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Upside is if a fight breaks out you'll have a club to defend yourself with.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
That thing looks awesome but incredibly difficult to use

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I'm sorry, I have to ask. What the gently caress is that thing? Looks like a goddamned thermos.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the lens

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I'm pretty curious about the final image quality that thing produces.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I'm pretty curious about what the hell it was originally designed to go on.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

rolleyes posted:

I'm pretty curious about what the hell it was originally designed to go on.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M42_lens_mount

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
What are the holes for? Some kind of mount? Or are those speed holes??

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Tripod mount ring plate, probably.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's a TAIR-33 300mm f4.5. It's actually a medium format lens but my colleague has stuck a Kiev - M42 adapter on it and then an M42 - Eos adapter on that. Even the lenscap is made of metal (and threaded)

The holes are for the photo sniper package (which is missing from this particular one).

Note, this image shows the slightly smaller TAIR-3

Here's a Flickr search of TAIR-33 images. They are not terrible but you couldn't comfortably use it for birds or anything that moves because it's so drat unwieldy.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 28, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Looks more like a cannon to me

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Khablam posted:

Looks more like a cannon to me

take it through the airport in assembled form

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
After trying to use that thing (and failing because there's no tripod mount and I'm not able to hold it steady enough for sharp photos), I know how the USSR managed to clean up in Olympic weightlifting all those years - they just threw vests on their photopool and sent them out to compete.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

pseudonordic posted:

Any thoughts, goons?

I have the 24-70 F/2.8L II and it's legit worth the money, it stays on my camera 90% of the time even though I love my 35mm 1.4 Art.

If you can get the funds together I'd highly recommend it, still sharp as a tack at 2.8

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Bang3r posted:

I have the 24-70 F/2.8L II and it's legit worth the money, it stays on my camera 90% of the time even though I love my 35mm 1.4 Art.

If you can get the funds together I'd highly recommend it, still sharp as a tack at 2.8

I bought one back in September and I hardly ever swap it out. Probably 95% of my shots are with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ML users, keep in mind that your camera will be "bricked" tomorrow.

It's AF here now, had a pretty bad panic attack when this happened.