Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That Chinese New Year segment was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I also think Ronnie is great. His deadpan humor is pretty good.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Bernie still has a better shot at the nomination than John "I only won my home state" Kasich. So yeah... here's one specific example of a media blackout on Sanders that isn't his supporters crying wolf.

Asians hating Asians in comedy has been a long standing tradition. I like Ronnie. I guess I'm not good enough of an Asian.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I think Ronnie has gotten a lot better. It usually takes several segments by a correspondent before I come to like them anyway. The first few Desi Lydic bits I thought were pretty weak, but I've come around on her too.

Ronnie's segment on that interfaith center was pretty funny and memorable to me.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

I hate to play the "People who complain about X are just as obnoxious as X" card... but that's the vibe I get. The thing is I don't watch the reality shows or the celebrity gossip directly. I go out of my way to avoid HuffPo. All the KimK stuff on my radar are people on my Facebook who wants everyone to know how they're above her. And I almost appreciate people trolling them, precisely because I've seen this high horse stuff from everyone who thinks they're Will McAvoy.

I would agree, were it not for the fact that now I'm seeing stolid defenses of her on The Daily Show. I mean, I know it's a joke fake news show and it doesn't always lampoon "hard news," but come on. This is just obnoxious.

And I don't care if it's a joke, don't compare her to the Mona Lisa. The fact that the woman in the painting is just known for her looks is not a good reflection of 16th century Italian social mores.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 18, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, they refuse to do anything about getting a judge until the next president is elected, is there anything stopping them from just continuing to not elect anyone after that if they don't like who the next democrat picks?

... Is there anything at all in place to get them to ever do their jobs on anything if they say just "naw"?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, they refuse to do anything about getting a judge until the next president is elected, is there anything stopping them from just continuing to not elect anyone after that if they don't like who the next democrat picks?

... Is there anything at all in place to get them to ever do their jobs on anything if they say just "naw"?

Well, I guess elections are supposed to be the thing in place, but lol at that idea when today's voters would gladly cut off their nose to spite their face when it comes to voting across party lines, even with Congress's abysmal approval rating. Just peep some public Facebook comment sections sometime and realize that nothing is ever going to change.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Nightly has a new segment called 2Chainz Explainz which is exactly what it sounds like.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't disagree that the media certainly helped Trump a lot, but that doesn't explain his staying power.

I blame three decades of Reaganomics for laying the groundwork for Trump.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Echo Chamber posted:

I don't disagree that the media certainly helped Trump a lot, but that doesn't explain his staying power.

I blame three decades of Reaganomics for laying the groundwork for Trump.

I agree. I'm sure they helped him snowball a bit, but I'm skeptical that they are entirely to blame, even if their motives are greedy (which they clearly are). My sense is that TV ratings reflect what large swaths of the American public wants to see, so it's hard to say the media is to blame for the public's obsession with Drumpf.

FELD1 posted:

I think Ronnie has gotten a lot better. It usually takes several segments by a correspondent before I come to like them anyway. The first few Desi Lydic bits I thought were pretty weak, but I've come around on her too.

Ronnie's segment on that interfaith center was pretty funny and memorable to me.

I agree. He can be hit or miss for me, but I liked the interfaith segment quite a bit actually. Early on, I was worried he was going to get stuck making daddy doesn't love me jokes, so I'm relieved to see him doing other stuff.

Also re KK talk, I ask this honestly: Where do you people see her so much? I'm not on Facebook, but I mean I'm not living under a rock. I watch TV, use Instagram, etc. I probably hear something about KK once every week? Are there some comparable men whom people love to hate for ostensibly being famous for no reason and lacking any talent, or is it limited to women like KK, Paris Hilton, etc.? (Not a rhetorical question.)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Pretty much anyone who gets a show on TLC comes to mind, most notably the Duggars. Moreso now since, y'know, one of them is a child molester.
Most of the others never stick around or get popular enough for people to have get a good hate-on for them. Others, like Charlie Sheen, while totally lovely people that get way too much media exposure, don't really fit your criteria since they were previously known for things other than being a piece of poo poo.

Echo Chamber posted:

I don't disagree that the media certainly helped Drumpf a lot, but that doesn't explain his staying power.

I blame three decades of Reaganomics for laying the groundwork for Drumpf.

I don't think he would have nearly the momentum he does if the media didn't whore out for him at every opportunity.
But the fact that he had a chance at all is definitely a result of the buildup of right-wing rhetoric and fear-mongering over the last 8-16 years finally coming to fruition.
They stitched Frankenstein together, hooked up the wires, and flipped the switch, and now they're shocked and surprised that he's alive.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 22, 2016

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Pillow Hat posted:

Also re KK talk, I ask this honestly: Where do you people see her so much? I'm not on Facebook, but I mean I'm not living under a rock. I watch TV, use Instagram, etc. I probably hear something about KK once every week? Are there some comparable men whom people love to hate for ostensibly being famous for no reason and lacking any talent, or is it limited to women like KK, Paris Hilton, etc.? (Not a rhetorical question.)

I'd say no because no other reality star has come close to her level of success and saturation but if say Spencer Pratt or Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino had managed to become that famous and ubiquitous I don't think it'd be too different.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Pretty much anyone who gets a show on TLC comes to mind, most notably the Duggars. Moreso now since, y'know, one of them is a child molester.

Don't forget that rear end in a top hat dwarf that got DUIs so much his family joked about it on their lovely reality show.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

I'd say no because no other reality star has come close to her level of success and saturation but if say Spencer Pratt or Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino had managed to become that famous and ubiquitous I don't think it'd be too different.

That's pretty much it, yeah.

Pillow Hat posted:

Also re KK talk, I ask this honestly: Where do you people see her so much?

She pops up at least once a day for me in my news sources. Maybe down to just once a day now that I've sworn off Salon permanently.

tbh, I think I wouldn't even mind her oversaturation that much if she wasn't being shoehorned into thinkpieces about feminism and body positivity all the drat time. There's something incredibly cynical and hollow about the way that her celebrity has been fabricated, and the fact that she's also about as empty-headed as it gets just underlines it. Bottom line: she's a lovely role model, and people should stop treating her like one.

Slate has a good piece on this too.

This has been my hot take of the night.:patriot:

e: Oh, plus there was this poo poo. Okay, now I'm done.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 23, 2016

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Lindsey Graham on daily tonight: the Republican Party is imploding.

Also not even an uneasy chuckle from the audience about Obama being a bad president. I almost feel bad for the senator but he's really killing it in the best ways.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Lindsey Graham would own so much... if he wasn't a republican

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Lindsey Graham has been all out of fucks to give for quite a while now, and it's a lot more fun to watch him now.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
But... What is a republican these days? Graham was great on Last week tonight too, his quote to the NY attorney general about how "I was all with you until I actually started getting briefed by the people in the Intel Community,”

E; also the nightly show has made me laugh tonight. What's going on. The world is burning.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 24, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

Lindsey Graham has been all out of fucks to give for quite a while now, and it's a lot more fun to watch him now.

The interview was straight up amazing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Okay, so Trevor is going to be very thorough with "How Did We Get Here?". Good. I hope he'll try to tackle the long term effects Reaganomics ironically had on the GOP's blue collar base; which has a lot to do with why they're now turning to the candidate who postures himself as the charismatic strongman.

Yikes, I knew Lindsey was likable on a personal level; but I wasn't expecting him to totally charm TDS. Just remember he's a huge neocon.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

All it really goes to show is that he's totally aware of how big a piece of poo poo he's been over the last decade, and that he's aware that he helped set the charges for the GOP's implosion.

I loved watching the quiet suffering behind his snark though, the crickets at his "bad president" joke was fantastic as was that line about the Middle East that Trevor got on him.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

M_Gargantua posted:

also the nightly show has made me laugh tonight. What's going on. The world is burning.

'Nightly Show' is actually pretty decent most of the time these days. Especially when the discussion topic is more pop-culture related, and not about racism or feminism.

I also get a kick at Larry getting tea bags chucked at him at the end of every episode.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Winkie01 posted:

Lindsey Graham would own so much... if he wasn't a republican

Lindsey Graham's problem is that he's down to bomb any and everything. It it weren't for that he'd be a Susan Collins/Olympia Snow Republican, which are downright refreshing.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah lovely people can be and often are charming. Just look at Chris Christie. He's downright entertaining in interviews, despite the fact that he's a vengeful slime ball. In fact, I went out to dinner with someone last week whom I found quite likeable until politics came up and he told me I didn't know how hard it was to be a white man. :psyduck: I am a white man. :psyboom:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pillow Hat posted:

Yeah lovely people can be and often are charming. Just look at Chris Christie. He's downright entertaining in interviews, despite the fact that he's a vengeful slime ball. In fact, I went out to dinner with someone last week whom I found quite likeable until politics came up and he told me I didn't know how hard it was to be a white man. :psyduck: I am a white man. :psyboom:

You just think you're white because society has been trying to destroy the concept of whiteness ever since America decided the filthy Irish were suddenly white. If you ain't Teutonic, you ain't white. Quit trying to appropriate our heavy cultural burden.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Graham interview was hilarious, especially the part where he tried a burn on Obama and it went over like a lead balloon. In the end you have to give credit to Lindsay for having a sense of humor about himself and being able to laugh something like that off without getting offended or snarky at the crowd like so many politicians would have or do. I mean, just the fact that Graham was willing to come on after all the years of Stewart giving him poo poo is a credit to the guy being fairly human.

I like that Noah's Daily Show tries to do something weird when they land one of these big guys. With Rand Paul they did that drinking game and now the pool thing with Lindsay. Trevor doesn't have the gravitas or chops to ask some kind of grilling questions so they're doing these little games so its at least memorable and interesting. And to their credit both Paul and Graham were game for it.

On the Kardashian thing I never meant to say that she/they weren't saturating pop culture. I'm not blind, I know who they are and how would I since I've never seen the show? Yet I know there's a Kylie and a Kendal and whoever else. My thing is, who cares? Sure, I encounter headlines and stuff when I'm on the internet but I don't have to click them. Its like going grocery shopping and being stuck on line with the tabloids. Sure, I'm standing there so I'm going to glance over the headlines but I don't pick up the magazine because I don't care. I'll absorb a certain amount of information just through that kind of cultural osmosis but in order for me to actually know anything about Kim Kardashian I'd have to actually make the choice to invest some energy in following a few clicks and reading a few things. And I just don't (usually, I have my days where something piques my curiosity that normally doesn't).

I guess that's what I took from the Daily Show segment. Yeah, I agree that Kim Kardashian got famous for doing nothing and that's kind of stupid and an ugly part of our pop culture. And I agree that the whole gossip/celebutant/paparazzi/reality show thing is pervasive and lovely. But its really not hard at all for me to avoid 99% of it. I'll catch bits and pieces on CNN and internet headlines and passing conversation but the only times I actually have to think about it is when (a) I actually get my curiosity piqued and choose to dive in or (b) someone brings it up to me, usually to complain about it. And when that happens I kind of just want to say "then lets just talk about anything else" because I really don't get why we care.

I have no ACTUAL opinion about Kim Kardashian. I know she's hot and I guess its pretty cool that she's considered so even though she doesn't fit that runway model look. I know she got rich because her dad was a high powered Hollywood attorney and she got famous because of a sex tape with Brandy's brother and doesn't seem to have actually done anything worthy of praise (at least by my standards). I know she's married to Kanye and they're kind of insane. I know one time she bought a dress that might have been white or might have been blue. Beyond that I just really don't care.

I guess I just don't get why we can't all not care. And odds are that would start to gradually make her go away because the whole gossip world would move onto whatever new person was doing something crazy or scandalous. After all, I don't know what the gently caress Lindsay Lohan's doing these days.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 24, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Pillow Hat posted:

Chris Christie is an rear end in a top hat, period. There's nothing likable about him. His whole gimmick was he was a so-called straight talker that the beltway found acceptable. The nicest thing you can so about him is some toothless joke about his weight.

And as for as charm goes, he's just a colossal dick and nothing more. Okay, sorry. Just can't let a halfway compliment for CC stand. Carry on.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

What? No that wasn't her dress. Right?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Chris Christie essentially suicide bombing Rubio before dropping out was really funny.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

On the Kardashian thing I never meant to say that she/they weren't saturating pop culture. I'm not blind, I know who they are and how would I since I've never seen the show? Yet I know there's a Kylie and a Kendal and whoever else. My thing is, who cares? Sure, I encounter headlines and stuff when I'm on the internet but I don't have to click them. Its like going grocery shopping and being stuck on line with the tabloids. Sure, I'm standing there so I'm going to glance over the headlines but I don't pick up the magazine because I don't care. I'll absorb a certain amount of information just through that kind of cultural osmosis but in order for me to actually know anything about Kim Kardashian I'd have to actually make the choice to invest some energy in following a few clicks and reading a few things. And I just don't (usually, I have my days where something piques my curiosity that normally doesn't).

I guess that's what I took from the Daily Show segment. Yeah, I agree that Kim Kardashian got famous for doing nothing and that's kind of stupid and an ugly part of our pop culture. And I agree that the whole gossip/celebutant/paparazzi/reality show thing is pervasive and lovely. But its really not hard at all for me to avoid 99% of it. I'll catch bits and pieces on CNN and internet headlines and passing conversation but the only times I actually have to think about it is when (a) I actually get my curiosity piqued and choose to dive in or (b) someone brings it up to me, usually to complain about it. And when that happens I kind of just want to say "then lets just talk about anything else" because I really don't get why we care.

I have no ACTUAL opinion about Kim Kardashian. I know she's hot and I guess its pretty cool that she's considered so even though she doesn't fit that runway model look. I know she got rich because her dad was a high powered Hollywood attorney and she got famous because of a sex tape with Brandy's brother and doesn't seem to have actually done anything worthy of praise (at least by my standards). I know she's married to Kanye and they're kind of insane. I know one time she bought a dress that might have been white or might have been blue. Beyond that I just really don't care.

I guess I just don't get why we can't all not care. And odds are that would start to gradually make her go away because the whole gossip world would move onto whatever new person was doing something crazy or scandalous. After all, I don't know what the gently caress Lindsay Lohan's doing these days.

I don't care, and the only time I hear about Kardashians is here in this thread, and on the OJ Simpson show where Ross from Friends is a Kardashian trying to suck OJ's dick. It's very, very easy to not hear about them, as I'm not even trying not to. Can we stop talking about it? Her rear end was on a magazine or something I guess, who the gently caress buys magazines? Stop furiously F5ing TMZ or whatever.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
alrighty lindsey and noah have chemistry. :)

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

Chris Christie is an rear end in a top hat, period. There's nothing likable about him. His whole gimmick was he was a so-called straight talker that the beltway found acceptable. The nicest thing you can so about him is some toothless joke about his weight.

And as for as charm goes, he's just a colossal dick and nothing more. Okay, sorry. Just can't let a halfway compliment for CC stand. Carry on.

Assholes can be entertaining. Charming was overstating the case, though, you're right.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

If there's a more tired and overused old-rear end-man-complaining-about-the-kids talking point than "PARTICIPATION TROPHIES," I sure haven't ever heard it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

raditts posted:

If there's a more tired and overused old-rear end-man-complaining-about-the-kids talking point than "PARTICIPATION TROPHIES," I sure haven't ever heard it.

Not even looking at timestamps, this just feels like it was on TNS

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oh Snapple! posted:

Not even looking at timestamps, this just feels like it was on TNS

Bingo. It came up while talking about the Emory students losing their poo poo over Trump graffiti.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Gotta say that if Lindsey Graham had showed up to play pool and talk poo poo w/ Trevor six month ago, he might have gotten my vote.

It was odd that they were playing on a snooker table though

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've been very hard on Trevor Noah, harder than I honestly thought I'd be.

But everything about the Graham interview and pool table segment was great.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

coyo7e posted:

Gotta say that if Lindsey Graham had showed up to play pool and talk poo poo w/ Trevor six month ago, he might have gotten my vote.

It was odd that they were playing on a snooker table though

It was probably a table that was already in the building that they dusted off and drug into the studio.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That Scandal bit on Nightly was pretty cool though.

This second act was garbage. An overreaction to an overreaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, last night was the first episode in a long time where I've actually made it all the way through the first segment. So of course I pushed my luck with the second segment and it was the same awful poo poo that usually makes me switch away in the first segment, but Colbert wasn't on so I left it on long enough to hear crying about participation trophies during the panel before I just turned off the TV altogether.

• Locked thread