Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Naramyth posted:

My new office doesn't have windows that open or a in office coworker to talk paper airplane optimization with. :(

Same :( Why the paper airplane shaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Do you have A/C, though? When I worked on a windowless and coworkerless office, we I couldn't leave the door closed because it was sweltering in there, even in the winter*. That the (fireproof) door was both the only ventilation for the room and that it only unlocked from the outside was another argument to keeping it open.

* Granted, I'm in the tropics, but still.

Edit: Sorry for the paper airplane shaming. :(

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I don't really get how mixing up the disks would break the array. I mean, they have unique identifiers, right?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Jeoh posted:

I don't really get how mixing up the disks would break the array. I mean, they have unique identifiers, right?

lovely controller going "THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT DISK! FORMAT?" you don't want to shuffle drives around until you find the correct order.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
The MSDN page for downloading Windows debugging symbols is a lovely .aspx page that doesn't work in Chrome, Edge, or Internet Explorer in any regard. What is so loving hard about offering direct download links that don't try to route you through 40 of Microsoft's proprietary redirects again? Seems to work fine for literally every other download MS has available in the support center.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

HardDisk posted:

A coworker just threw a paper airplane out of the window. :cripes:

Fake edit: He's now discussing how to build a better one with another coworker. kill me

Jealous that you're not invited much?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Turdsdown Tom posted:

The MSDN page for downloading Windows debugging symbols is a lovely .aspx page that doesn't work in Chrome, Edge, or Internet Explorer in any regard. What is so loving hard about offering direct download links that don't try to route you through 40 of Microsoft's proprietary redirects again? Seems to work fine for literally every other download MS has available in the support center.
It's in some dark corner of an office in Redmond, running on some Compaq server with NT 4.0 and nobody knows the login credentials for it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Turdsdown Tom posted:

It works for me in Chrome on Windows 8.1 :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jeoh posted:

I never actually tried it myself, but I was warned back in the SCSI and PATA days that raid controllers could not stripe a unit across interfaces. The person that informed me of this was way more senior so I just accepted it as truth and never tried to explore it myself.

Either way, it's a non-issue now as controllers are better featured and more powerful. Though now you have the problem with extremely large servers carrying more than one controller, so you at least need to make sure the disk is attached to the same controller it used to be.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Microsoft Volume Licensing Service page just loops when I click login in Chrome. Tried logging out and back in, clearing cookies, etc. Just have to use IE to view it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

bobmarleysghost posted:

Jealous that you're not invited much?

I don't even know how to fold paper aiplanes.

Yes

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

There was a scheduled outage during the gap.

Oh....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Always, always have something checking disk space on servers. Saved my rear end so many times.

ALERT!! DISK 3 ON WEB1 IS 86% FULL! HAS INCREASED BY 3% IN THE LAST 20 MINUTES! ANOMALY DETECTED!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks annoying sales guy for replying to my email in light blue text. Are you trying to give me a headache!

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

level 3, fix your poo poo please

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Alighieri posted:

level 3, fix your poo poo please

That will never happen.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

HR requires new software. that's fine.

Two work days in a row, when trying to configure automated emails in Kronos, their dumbshit outside support people spam our e-mail server with thousands of messages.

Our e-mail server is fairly robust for what we do, however - 4500 emails in 5 minutes is 4 times the amount we receive in two hours.

So we fix it, and then HR has the audacity to say "it wasn't the fault of the software" and that it was IT's fault.

Getting thrown under the bus because some outside fuckwit was testing during business hours and didn't let us know is bullshit. If you're going to test, let us know so we can blackhole whatever the gently caress you're doing in case it breaks horribly.

:fuckoff:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Arsten posted:

That's not the half of it. I constantly hear that someone performing their duties shouldn't be using a computer, because using a computer is "Wasting Time." Once, someone told me, no joke, that taking "14 clicks" to create a CRM document is "outrageous" and "impossible for our sales people to learn."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
If there's one thing which could set me off is complaining about too many clicks, too many things to type, too much "admin". Bitch you have no idea how much I bust my balls to build automation into everything along with behind the scenes running around to keep things running smoothly, but no you go ahead and moan about those two picklists and three mandatory text fields consisting of too much work.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Super Slash posted:

If there's one thing which could set me off is complaining about too many clicks, too many things to type, too much "admin". Bitch you have no idea how much I bust my balls to build automation into everything along with behind the scenes running around to keep things running smoothly, but no you go ahead and moan about those two picklists and three mandatory text fields consisting of too much work.

Once they start counting in clicks, I tell them that they are right and we should take the mice away so they can use the keyboard for every single task - even logging into Windows. After all, if the mouse takes too much time, we shouldn't have them for anything! Then they get really uppity about how mice are invaluable (just not for what they don't want to do, which is what it always eventually boils down to).

Then again, I can say that the complexity of a menu system is a hard thing for most of them. I have seen multiple sales guys' computers with icons plastered all the way across their screen(s) when they have come to complain to me that they can't find some incredibly important file that's 12 rows off the desktop's display area. Clicking on "My Documents" and looking through a window with the same sized icons as on the desktop wastes precious time, guys! :suicide:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Super Slash posted:

and then they complain because the automation is doing something "wrong" in an "edge case"

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Manslaughter posted:

and then they complain because the automation is doing something "wrong" in an "edge case"

It's not an "edge case"! It has happened like six times in the last five years!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arsten posted:

It's not an "edge case"! It has happened like six times in the last five years!

I had a manager who always told us automation was good, as long as you were careful to make sure it only worked 80% of the time. More than that and admins start losing their jobs because they have nothing to do, and less than that and people have to work too hard to get poo poo done. Write it well enough to work 80% of the time, and there is enough to do to justify headcount, but not so much that everyone is stressed out and killing themselves.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I had a manager who always told us automation was good, as long as you were careful to make sure it only worked 80% of the time. More than that and admins start losing their jobs because they have nothing to do, and less than that and people have to work too hard to get poo poo done. Write it well enough to work 80% of the time, and there is enough to do to justify headcount, but not so much that everyone is stressed out and killing themselves.

I would agree with that sentiment in general. Unfortunately, most of the time I find myself in situations where if the solution doesn't do the work for 100% involved people, 100% of the time with 100% accuracy at the requirements building sessions 12 months before it's actually built, it's not worth the time to even start. :smith:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arsten posted:

I would agree with that sentiment in general. Unfortunately, most of the time I find myself in situations where if the solution doesn't do the work for 100% involved people, 100% of the time with 100% accuracy at the requirements building sessions 12 months before it's actually built, it's not worth the time to even start. :smith:

Sounds like expectations are not being properly set.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

RFC2324 posted:

I get the intent, but that is pretty dumb advice.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Oh, very much so. But they haven't listened to my pitches with rational targets and have so far bought into three large flops.

They'll learn, or I'll get some neat furniture when the company dissolves. Win-win!

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

poo poo that pissed me off tonight: my coworker was given a task to investigate an issue going down at a remote site that was causing constant internet outages. He farted around for two hours getting nowhere, and then handed it off to me and skipped out the door.

I had to stop what I was doing and deal with it (because of course it was an EMERGENCY), which means I didn't get my scheduled work done before the end of my shift.

He's pulled this poo poo before. The worst one was when he skipped town after getting practically nothing done on a major (read: CEO directly involved) project that he was "working" on all week, and two of my coworkers (including my boss) had to pull an all-nighter to cover for him. This was after the VP of our department pulled him aside, gave him his cell number, and told him to keep him updated on any developments, regardless of time of day. Fuckwit was out the door and unreachable less than 30 minutes later, without actually handing anything off to the people who ended up finally resolving the issue. Note that not only did he not get fired for this crap, he was actually re-hired after he left the company to move to England to chase some chick he met on the internet.

All my poo poo is documented, and I don't expect any backlash to come down on me for not getting my tasks done for the day, but I am livid right now.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lookin over some eCommerce jobs, one is for a pot dispensary.

"REQUIRED: CANNABIS, 1 year"

I want to apply for it just so I can say "I don't really have 1 year of experience with CANNABIS but have been doing HASH in my spare time for 2 years"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Arsten posted:

You only have to pay if it wasn't withheld from your check. If it was your company's share of taxes, or if they withheld the proper amount but did not pay that withholding to the government, it is on your company and not you. I cannot stress enough how important it is to look at what was actually withheld from your paychecks and what your W2 reports when the government comes after you for taxes due in these situations.
It probably wasn't withheld. Since I'm working hourly, I don't really pay attention if my net pay shifts a few hundred euro up or down. It's not going to wreck my economy, it's just annoying because if it's correct it's going to take a bite out of savings I had intended for other things.

But I'm going to go over every paper I have with a fine toothed comb to see if I was actually paid more than I should, if my employer withheld the money but failed to pay it or if there are some other shenanigans. I'm pretty sure my company isn't deliberately trying to screw me though. Most likely something just got messed up in the restructuring and either money wasn't paid or I was paid too much.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

Lookin over some eCommerce jobs, one is for a pot dispensary.

"REQUIRED: CANNABIS, 1 year"

I want to apply for it just so I can say "I don't really have 1 year of experience with CANNABIS but have been doing HASH in my spare time for 2 years"
If this is for Washington State, they're looking for people to give them priority in the recreational retailer licensing; if you were working at a medical seller and they hire you, they get priority.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

RFC2324 posted:

I've been in Artsen's situation. You can set all the expectations you want, but if the executives are determined to keep doing poo poo wrong sometimes all you can do is walk away.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Always, always have something checking disk space on servers. Saved my rear end so many times.

ALERT!! DISK 3 ON WEB1 IS 86% FULL! HAS INCREASED BY 3% IN THE LAST 20 MINUTES! ANOMALY DETECTED!

This is awesome until you inherit a new environment with a SAN that is basically full and it doesn't sound like the company has any intentions of buying another shelf. I just get these alerts, shrug, wonder why I still can't get into said SAN, and keep swinging wrenches.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ynglaur posted:

all you can do is walk away.

This sets an expectation :colbert:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

GoatShaver posted:

This is awesome until you inherit a new environment with a SAN that is basically full and it doesn't sound like the company has any intentions of buying another shelf. I just get these alerts, shrug, wonder why I still can't get into said SAN, and keep swinging wrenches.

Do you have a nice graph? Can you get an estimated time for it to be completely full? If you don't have graphs do an install of PRTG, you can get 100 sensors for free. If you don't have login credentials but say the SAN is shared with a host, you could pull it from there. Giving an estimated date of when everything comes to a grinding halt usually helps with budget. Why yes, the database drive will be full in 14 months. Here is what I want to replace it with. It's easier with a virtual environment and a SAN like you have since it's for everyone. Sometimes you get "What can we delete" instead though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

RFC2324 posted:

This sets an expectation :colbert:

Better that than the expectation that you'll meet their demands for free.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ynglaur posted:

Better that than the expectation that you'll meet their demands for free.

I agree.It sets the expectation that if they make unreasonable demands, they will be replacing IT guys on the reg.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

anthonypants posted:

It works for me in Chrome on Windows 8.1 :shrug:

I would totally believe it if it only worked on 8.1 and under. ASP.NET pages need to die

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pissing me off, purchasing waiting until the last minute for things. "It says it expires on the 24th of March we'll pay in in March" this is in January when I got the budget approved and the quote from vendor for renewing AV through our Sonic Wall.

Vendor gets paid sends it off to dell last week, I get the keys today. Well we are decreasing seat count because you can stack licenses and the last time we just bought a stupid amount of seats going to the closest count. I now have an open case with Dell for it to not prorate my licenses. Why yes I'd love to have AV for only 4 months instead of 2 years at an even larger seat count! Dell was quick to take responsibility for it but part of me thinks it would have been quicker to just let it expire and add the keys Thursday.

My other keys worked fine, probably because they were already expired services. Why yes everyone can access the internet, you said you didn't want to pay early I had the order ready 2 months ago.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Pissing me off right now is me, for failing to adequately document my own pet project. Now I'm locked out of my own vsphere environment because I thought "boy how hard is it to remember a dumb password hurf durf"

Way to not write important details down you dolt :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

People may remember me bitching about marketing changing my job title to DevOps Tech despite me not doing anything related to that. Guess what is apparently? SHAREPOINT!!!!

#1 I've never administered or setup a sharepoint environment in my life. I've worked at places that have lovely setups but I know nothing about it. I'm pretty much just starting from scratch knowledge wise here.
#2 Work is refusing to pay for any training on it. They would "let me" expense a book from Amazon to learn.
#3 We need Sharepoint up and running for some lovely sales app by the middle of the year.

All of that combined with some other recent bullshit, like no longer letting me come in 10 minutes early and leave 10 minutes early so I dont have to wait 20 minutes for a bus, and some other petty poo poo has me looking for jobs now.

I think I want to go the MSP route or as contract employee somewhere just to broaden my experience a bit.