Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You should probably put a section on pink gear/agony infusion etc. into the OP.

Just in case, so no one will read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

SlothBear posted:

What the gently caress happened to this game.

It technically only takes 1 or 2 weeks of raiding to get a guaranteed ascended upgrade.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The fact that there are two different kinds of infusion slots with very similar naming conventions is dumb as hell. Agony is a dumb mechanic.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
To all you unfortunates that did not buy them years ago: bunny ears are back on the gem store.

Aviators? Someday, maybe

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

SlothBear posted:

What the gently caress happened to this game.

Running a raid for gold is a silly idea it'd take ages. I think it was a joke. To make gold ya gotta run around harvesting or do silverwastes/fractals.

Also patch is oot, I think the patch after this one is the big un. They fixed your dumb harvesting whistle arus

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

orcane posted:

You should probably put a section on pink gear/agony infusion etc. into the OP.

Just in case, so no one will read it.

:smith:

AnacondaHL posted:

It technically only takes 1 or 2 weeks of raiding to get a guaranteed ascended upgrade.

Haha gently caress raiding and gently caress the very presence of raiding in this game

Generic Octopus posted:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infused_equipment
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attuned_equipment (you can only attune rings, and only when you have tier 2 of the mastery).

Basically they add slots for those pink Agony Infusions to your rings/back-piece. If you've ever done a fractal you've had these dumped into your inventory; the +5/7 Versatile infusions are bought from vendors in the fractal lab area (HoT added one only accessible after you have tier 1 of the fractal mastery). The +1's are combined either via Artificer or the new merchant to make the numbers bigger.

So for maximum numbers you put a +7 everywhere, then use three +11's and two +10's that you either combined a shitton of +1's to get or bought off the tp. This gets your AR total to 150, enough to take minimum damage from fractal 100.

I think that makes sense, so I get the +7 infusions from the fractal vendor? I never saw those on it, weird. And ugh, I have to level the masteries? My playtime is so limited, that's going to take forever. I hate how HoT gated poo poo like this behind masteries, which are so slow to level for a casual player, I'm never going to get some of the HoT ones. I just want to play fractals with buddies :(

whydirt posted:

Agony is a dumb mechanic.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
It wasn't clear from my post but the +7 Versatiles are bought from the new HoT vendor. You buy a +5 for 75 relics from the regular guy, then trade that and 75 more relics for a +7. And yea you can only get to the new vendor with t1 of fractal mastery, he's off on his own little island that you can get to by talking to one of the golems and without the mastery the robot tells you to gently caress off basically.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 22, 2016

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
The raids are actually good and fun but they severely over-estimated how much people care about the RNG drops (especially considering the apparent droprate).

The token system is mostly there because unlike some developers, they're not time-traveling backwards in the world of MMO design. But then, I do always forget that WoW: Warlords of Draenor was not a time travel story.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I'm hoping the april patch does something about the retarded mastery system but who knows.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Are the aviators back yet?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bunny ears coming back.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Generic Octopus posted:

It wasn't clear from my post but the +7 Versatiles are bought from the new HoT vendor. You buy a +5 for 75 relics from the regular guy, then trade that and 75 more relics for a +7. And yea you can only get to the new vendor with t1 of fractal mastery, he's off on his own little island that you can get to by talking to one of the golems and without the mastery the robot tells you to gently caress off basically.

Oh geez, that's why I had never seen them before. Ugh, masteries, ugggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Probably the next thing, they brought the wizard hat back too a week or so ago.

If you use the airship pass on the airship you can kill all the crafting npcs and miyani

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

Probably the next thing, they brought the wizard hat back too a week or so ago.

If you use the airship pass on the airship you can kill all the crafting npcs and miyani

This is gonna be one of those things they patch by the time I get home, right?

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Arus stay safe, don't let the terror of liposarcoma take you like it took your Prime Minister, Robert Ford.

Raiding is fun and all but 9-12 is rough

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

RIP Rob Ford, he had plenty to eat at home.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah I was just teasing/mocking Arus about doing raids for ascended items. The raids wings have been pretty fun and I actually hope they fix lfg/add easy mode so that more people can try them.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thank you so much but I don't understand a lot of this :( How do I infuse or attune something? What does that do? What are these shards that grawl give me? There are +11 infusions? I've only ever seen the +5 ones from the vendor. How do I get those?

I don't have the time or patience or desire to min/max this, I just want to be able to do higher levels ones when friends ask rather than bowing out or dying constantly from loving agony, the objectively worst mechanic in the game.

Yeah, Americans don't realize how annoying this is. $20 in gems, 1600 of them, cost me $20 CAD when the game came out. Today, it's fluctuating, but it would've cost me $35+ a month ago. That's not fair :(

Here is the process starting from never even doing 1 Fractal to farming champ level. Just jump in at whatever step you are at.

0) Fill out Fractal Mastery 2, either during this process or before it. Do baby fractal dailies (2, 10, and whatever the under 20 daily is).

1) Get an Ascended Amulet - Purchase from a WvW laurel vendor is preferred, get the version with the stats you want and a Utility Infusion Slot if this is your first ever. Usually this is Distinguished Circle of Logic.

2) Get 2 unique Ascended Accessories - 12 Guild commendations each, found in that weird Guild instance in Lion's Arch. Usually this is Althea's Ashes and Magister's Field Journal.

3) Get 2 Ascended Rings - Purchase from WvW laurel vendor or farm baby fractals enough for 10 Pristine relics or get them as drops. Usually this is Ring of Red Death and Crystalline Band.

4) Attune both Rings - Talk to the robot in the fractals area that teleports you to the far island. This is where you need the Mastery level unlocked. The vendor on that island will sell what you need. Follow the Mystic Forge recipe to Attune your rings:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attuned_equipment

5) Buy five +5 Versatile Simple Infusions - from the fractals robot vendor

6) Travel back to the far island to upgrade them to +7 Versatile Simple Infusions

7) Plop them into your Ascended trinket Offensive/Defensive Infusion slots

8) Hopefully you've been collecting a bunch of +1 Agony Infusions while doing this

9) Upgrade and combine these +1 Agony Infusions either with Artificing or at the far island. Many Thermocatalytic Reagents will be bought and consumed. Make like two +6 Agony Infusions.

10) Plop two of them into your Attuned Rings' Agony Infusion slots (the slots we created when Attuning them)

11) Grats, you now have 43 Agony Resistance and can farm Veteran Fractals/Fractal 40 farm.

11.5) You probably want Fractal Mastery 3, to get better loot.

12) Get lucky and get 2 Infused Rings to drop. Any stats, as long as it has "(Infused)" at the end of the item's name.

13) Attune these two Rings, then extract the Infusions from your old rings (buy extractor at the far island)

14) Using all the +1 Agony Infusions you've been farming, keep upgrading them until you get 4 high level ones, such as four +9 Agony Infusions. Plop these and your existing +7 Versatile Simple Infusions into your rings (so each ring is giving +'7, +9, and +9).

15) Farm baby and veteran fractal dailies until you start getting Ascended Armor/Weapons to drop, or make enough gold to just craft them (weapons first).

16) Keep putting +7 Versatile Simple Infusions into these Ascended gear slots until you get 75 Agony Resistence, congratulations you can now farm low level Champ fractals for the daily (51 56 58)

17) Farm Farm Farm, get more Ascended slots and +7s, and/or upgrade your four +9 Agony Infusions in your rings into two +10s and two +11s, getting to 109 AR. Now you can run the full Mossman Swamp farm (56 67 77).

18) Alternatively, get and Ascended Backpiece and Attune it for a hefty price, then put a +7 and +10 into it.

19) BTW, you only average one NOT guaranteed ascended piece about every 2 weeks doing this, assuming you grind the dailies every single day. Have fun!

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 22, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, my eyes glazed over a quarter of the way into that. I don't want to follow a loving process like work, holy poo poo that sounds awful, this is supposed to be a fun "game". I'll just die with Cletus until I get ascended drops rather than all that.

Might get this instead actually :smug:

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
That armor reminds me of space marines

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Sprite141 posted:

... Also, I used to be poo poo at mesmer and had no clue how to play chronomancer. While running through the entirety of hot's story I kinda got the hang of both. I'm way better at staying alive, blinking and shattering clones now. Though I need to get used to hitting F5 and F4. I might pickup a dorky gamer's mouse so I can bind the F keys on it. Anyway, I mostly only use the greatsword. I need to start forcing myself to use 1h sword more.

My first GW2 character was a mesmer, since I loved them so much in GW1. For the longest time, I just thought everything in GW2 was just meant to be a really hard fight until I tried Elementalist and Guardian and realized that mesmers just kinda suck at PvE. I really *want* to like my mesmer, as I am quite good at platforming and a number of my RL friends I play with, including the GF, suck at them, and portals really make it easy to play together. But drat, elementalist is so much better I just can't go back. I'd even play scepter ele before mesmer. Maybe chrono will change that? I dunno. I don't really have the patience to go back and unlock it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Yea that was the point, its not fun unless you love numbers, which is why it was curious that you were asking for advice on Fractals but are so vehemently against Raids, when its all the same numbers bullshit.

edit, disclaimer: I really loving love numbers.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 22, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

Yea that was the point, its not fun unless you love numbers, which is why it was curious that you were asking for advice on Fractals but are so vehemently against Raids, when its all the same numbers bullshit.

Like I said repeatedly, I want to be able to run the higher level fractals without dying every 3 seconds, because that's what my friends want to do and I want to play with them and not be left out or force them to drop to the mega easy levels. My original question was about easy ways to get ascended armour. You're absolutely right, I can't stand the min max numbers bullshit that's why I glazed over when it devolved into that, so I'll just get by without worrying about those numbers then and hope for armour drops in between deaths. Thanks anyways for the info for real, even though I'm too ~*~casual~*~ to care :hfive:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the real numbers game is putting those digits into the gem store to receive the next piping hot load of glider skins and outfits

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
The real numbers game is how many weeks arus can keep toying with lazy's heart and how many gta steam events will go out before everyone leaves the sfd steam group.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
There is a bug where if you die you cannot teleport to a waypoint to respawn. You still just lie there and don't go anywhere or come back to life. Don't worry, it still takes your money though!!!!

There isn't a :bravo: big enough for anet.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
This new outfit looks just hideous on women, wow.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes

orcane posted:

This new outfit looks just hideous on women, wow.

Funny how the fit is radically different on the female model. Power armor vs. heavy plated catsuit

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Remember when endgame in GW2 was all about mixing and matching tons of cool armor skins/dyes that you found out in the world or worked towards by doing dungeons? I liked that more than this whole "buy full, unmodifiable, hideous outfits with gems because that's all Anet makes anymore" thing.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Vargs posted:

Remember when endgame in GW2 was all about mixing and matching tons of cool armor skins/dyes that you found out in the world or worked towards by doing dungeons? I liked that more than this whole "buy full, unmodifiable, hideous outfits with gems because that's all Anet makes anymore" thing.

It really blows. I really miss getting a new set every month or so to mess around with.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

holy poo poo that outfit is awful on multiple fronts

also yeah, it's stupid as poo poo that they say they don't make new armor sets anymore because it 'takes a lot more effort on their part' but if they can't scrounge together the people to make new armor sets then what the hell does that say about the rest of the game. it's an mmo.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
if instead of releasing the last 15 outfits they just released like, three armor sets, that would have been amazing

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Vargs posted:

Doubly so because every other outfit or so will have one part that I think to myself 'I'd totally use those shoulders or those gloves in a look'. But we can't have that now, even with the ones we used to be able to with, like the first winter one.

Edit: For a company who says making armors are too hard they sure go out of their way to make a second, shittier version of a lot of outfits.

Pesterchum fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 22, 2016

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ahahahahahahh this cannot be real

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

'fallout 4 was a Popular Game, right'

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
At this point I'm not sure I'd even complain if they just went the Radiant/Hellfire route and only differentiated the chest and legs between heavy/medium/light versions of a new set.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

I'm dying.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
One part fat suit, one part Bulgarian tank

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

"You guys wanted depressed, low budget Iron Man rip off, right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Johnny Joestar posted:

... it's stupid as poo poo that they say they don't make new armor sets anymore because it 'takes a lot more effort on their part' but if they can't scrounge together the people to make new armor sets then what the hell does that say about the rest of the game. it's an mmo.

If the ANet folks in this thread take away any one thing, it should be this. The end game is entirely pretty princess dress-up. I've run out of interesting new outfit pieces to work towards and have been playing much, much less because of it.

I've always found the effort/reward divide for skins in this game to have a really odd rift. Am I the only one? Let me explain:

There's equipment and skins that are whites/blues/greens. You get all of these as a matter of course while leveling. You will have them all. That's great as a basis for not having a naked character.
We'll call this the Zero Effort Tier.

Then, there's the ones you can only get through karma or WvW vendors. They might take some currency, but you'll reasonably acquire karma and WvW tokens as you play casually. In this tier there's also the rare drops. Things that are exotic and only drop rarely, but you can generally get them for between 3 and 50 gold on the auction house. They're nearly always available and you can save up the gold over time doing whatever you like.
We'll call this the Casual Tier.

So far, we've got two fairly reasonable tiers that seem to offer a difficulty/time progression. After this, though, everything goes to poo poo exponentially fast.

Next we've got the dungeon sets. To get these sets, you're gonna need tokens that only drop in a deprecated, group-content game-mode that no one plays anymore. For even one piece of one of these sets, you need an average of 200 dungeon-specific tokens, requiring between 4 and 10 successful runs to acquire, depending on if you want to do it over multiple days or all at once. That means, to get a full set of just one weight class of this armor, you might need to find a group to run the same instance a minimum of 18 times over 18 days, or else 60 times in one day.
We'll call this the Overachiever Tier.

Next, we've got the Ascended Armor and Event Skins. Ascended armor is the best stat-wise in the game, so it makes sense that it should take some time to make it. Except that the amount of work required is utterly insane. First, you've got to grind one of your crafting skills to 500. Getting to 400 skill isn't so bad, it's even kinda fun and a good way to level. But from 400 to 500, there's basically nothing worthwhile to craft that doesn't cost about 10-gold per and also have a time-gate of 1/day on it. Then, you need to spend between 100 and 150 gold per piece on top of that.
Event Skins are similar in investment except better/worse depending on your desired kind of investment. Most of these, are based around running a seasonal event. They typically require complete devotion to the event for the entirety of the week or two that it's available to aquire. We're talking devoting over 4 hours per day for limited days or weeks to get these. Remember the rotating Mordrem event before HoT release? It didn't even give you XP, but it was the only way to get those shoulders, gloves and those halo/horns tonics! If you wanted those, I hope you spent about 18 hours over the three or so days it was active!
We'll call this the Bored Out Of Our Mind Tier.

Finally, there's the Gemstore/Black Lion skins. This stuff, if you want it without dropping actual cash monies on it, is going to take you forever to get. Converting Gold to Gems is one of the shittiest exchange rates I've ever seen for time invested to outcome. And even if you want to drop real money, the Black Lion skins don't even give you a guaranteed return rate. You have to get lucky on opening chests--basically pulling a slot machine handle. According to the drop rates on the GW2 wiki, assuming average odds, and using some napkin math, you get about ~5 tickets per 10,000 chests. If you get a skin when it's first available, and worth the rare 1 ticket (rather than the 2, 3, 4 or more tickets, otherwise) it will cost you about $312 US to acquire one of these.
Also in this tier are Legendary Skins. These things, according to the new collection achievement quests available, take about 10-times the time and materials of crafting an Ascended item of the same slot.
We'll call this the Are You loving Kidding Me Tier.

I don't know if I'm the only one to wonder why there's such a huge gulf in between the Casual Tier and the Overachiever Tier, but it seems like some seriously underused design space. There's a bunch of people you could be catering to that would love more challenges in that range. And the existing players that already go above that range would have their play experience extended by also seeking out stuff in that range.

I can't be the only one wondering, "What's the deal with not having more offerings in that investment range?" Even adding more stuff in the Overachiever Tier would be good, assuming it's not deprecated and under-rewarded, which makes what does exist in that tier even less useful.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 22, 2016

• Locked thread