Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Eikre posted:

High-five him for us.

High five him once he proves the backups are viable and can be restored. Having 3 hour old backups with a broken chain or missing data is still a full possibility.

Test your backups everybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sirotan posted:

KnowBe4 is a pretty cool service, I got approval for a year subscription just by mentioning the free test to my boss' boss. Now I have to come up with a way to force all my users to spend the time doing the training.

If they fail, their access to email is removed until they take training.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Arsten posted:

We had a huge backstock of toner for a printer that was no longer made and our new printer didn't have a good supply of toner in, so we ran out. A user walked in to me gingerly transferring toner from a backstock cartridge into an empty cartridge for the current printer. I fix his problem and go on about my business.

Three months later, I get called and find the user in the utility room with the printer, and what looks like the after-effects of a toner bomb in four colors on every surface. :smith:

This makes me want to crack open the left over Xerox carts we have and toss them into our HVAC registers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Merijn posted:

Welp, too late - apparently the whole office was getting these and someone clicked it. Started encrypting the network drives. Emergency shutdowns and full system scans ensued. :doh:

Sysadmin says we have clean backups that aren't even three hours old though, so no ransom will be paid by us.

That admin better be lauded as the hero he is. And public shaming for the person that started it all off.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
The whole television station got cryptowalled.

Every computer.

Every server.

Every.

Thing.

Is encrypted.

There are no backups.

CE ignored his phone ringing all morning and had no clue. He walked into a shitstorm.

The station is crippled and it's all his fault.

He's apparently blaming me.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

larchesdanrew posted:

Every computer.

Every server.

Every.

Thing.

Is encrypted.

There are no backups.

CE ignored his phone ringing all morning. From the Newsroom. From the GM. From the CEO.

:lol:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

How did it nail every desktop, are they mounted as network drives? That sounds pretty intentional since I don't think crypto spreads it just locks up what it can as the payload to something else.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This makes me want to crack open the left over Xerox carts we have and toss them into our HVAC registers.

Change all the bulbs to UV before you do!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Every computer.

Every server.

Every.

Thing.

Is encrypted.

There are no backups.

CE ignored his phone ringing all morning and had no clue. He walked into a shitstorm.

Yesssssssssssss. The guy is delusional if he is blaming you. He needs mental help lol.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

pixaal posted:

How did it nail every desktop, are they mounted as network drives? That sounds pretty intentional since I don't think crypto spreads it just locks up what it can as the payload to something else.

Best I can figure is that every computer has a central file server net shared to them. But the stupidest loving part is that nearly every computer is also net shared to the file server for some godforsaken reason.

I'm going off of reports from my insider, but he says that every computer they've tried has something encrypted.

I really want to see this in person. They called me and I could hear the GM raging in the background about "that worthless motherfucker" and I"m equally amused for that to be referring to the CE or me.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

larchesdanrew posted:

Every computer.

Every server.

Every.

Thing.

Is encrypted.

There are no backups.

Sweet, sexy schadenfreude.

Surely his precious Buffalo nas will save him!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Raerlynn posted:

Sweet, sexy schadenfreude.

Surely his precious Buffalo nas will save him!

Bonus schadenfreude: After I left, no one was left to babysit them.

They're all dead, Jim. All of them.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

That was just the awesome bit of news I needed to hear today for a late work pick me up.

Did you hear him screaming about an Etherblast in the background? How many old IDE drives is he trying to dig out of his trash heap to replace everything with?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

Bonus schadenfreude: After I left, no one was left to babysit them.

They're all dead, Jim. All of them.

The fools! They filled them!

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

larchesdanrew posted:

Every computer.

Every server.

Every.

Thing.

Is encrypted.

There are no backups.

I wonder who clicked on the suspicious link.

I bet it was the CE

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

pr0digal posted:

I wonder who clicked on the suspicious link.

I bet it was the CE

It was one of the reporters. She opened an email that said she had missed a court date.

She literally just anchored a story about fake emails two days ago.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

larchesdanrew posted:

There are no backups.

So I think I missed this part of your saga, why are there no backups? Or did it simply not concern you?

pixaal posted:

The fools! They filled them!
:laffo:

One more edit: Does this mean the station is down? Surely they would have nearly 0 systems functional besides cameras and lights if none of the computers worked. Are there just reporters sitting in front of a green screen reading from cue cards?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

So I think I missed this part of your saga, why are there no backups? Or did it simply not concern you?

CE wanted me to image every computer and server in the station on a single 1TB external. I told him I needed something larger and he never budged on buying anything.

The graphics system is 17TB.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

larchesdanrew posted:

CE wanted me to image every computer and server in the station on a single 1TB external. I told him I needed something larger and he never budged on buying anything.

The graphics system is 17TB.
:stare:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I really want to watch their news broadcast tonight.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

KillHour posted:

It's very likely that the stress from booting killed the power supply, which can kill other components when it goes.

The thing is old enough to have a floppy drive. Who gives a gently caress?

Me, because, again, university setting. This thing is still running XP, and that's because the scientific hardware connected to it (by serial or parallel port, I don't remember) doesn't work right with 7/8/10. If I hadn't gotten this one running, I'd have had to hook up one of the 2003 laptops that we have a pile of. And probably cycle those out every six months as their hard drives died.

I may have ranted about this before, but scientific hardware support is seriously the worst because:

- Everything was built to industrial standards and thus lasted to the point that it's old-as-balls before it gives out.
- Professors have gotten used to using the same hardware for thirty years, they are often unwilling to replace it without expending weeks of effort replacing bearings and ordering circuit boards off ebay.
- The company that made the thing has probably been bought out three times by now, so good luck finding a manual or a tech support person who has even heard of your product.
- Getting any manufacturer in-person support is in the $1000/hour range.

On the plus side, I have actually gotten a machine running by digging down to the bottom of it and finding where a wire fell / vibrated out of a hole. Never expected to experience that cliche in real life.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Yeeeesss :kheldragar: I love happy endings.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

:siren:CE is systematically restoring all the newsroom computers with the same two year old image:siren:

Countdown to counterfeit Windows errors in 3... 2..

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

larchesdanrew posted:

:siren:CE is systematically restoring all the newsroom computers with the same two year old image:siren:

I'm guessing said image is being deployed via external USB drive, one at a time?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm guessing said image is being deployed via external USB drive, one at a time?

using a pirated version of Acronis TrueImage.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I hope the drive fails mid way through the first reimage.

Send in a EULA violation to acronis, see if they do anything.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Hey man, he's doing his best lol

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

I really want to see this in person.
I wouldn't go anywhere near it, personally. But I guess that's less fun.

edit: hm that sounded way less surly in my head, I need to step away from my queue for a while maybe. :P

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I hope the drive fails mid way through the first reimage.

Send in a EULA violation to acronis, see if they do anything.

Let's not spoil this too early. Play it cool

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

KoRMaK posted:

Hey man, he's doing his best lol

That's the problem! :v:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Don't go unless they invite you and the invitation takes the form of boat money.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Larches this is amazing. Keep the details coming.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Tell them you'll only come in if you're the one that gets to tell the CE he's fired. Along with an obscene amount of money.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Meanwhile we also had a crypto attack coming in today. Everything was quickly contained, warnings were sent to all users, and backups were restored. No significant damage, just some extra support burden on reimaging any desktops infected.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tell them you'll only come in if you're the one that gets to tell the CE he's fired. Along with an obscene amount of money.

At this point if there's no backups, is there anything he can even do? Other than buying bitcoins, that is.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At this rate, the CE won't be fired, he'll just be out of a job
on account of there being no station anymore

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

larchesdanrew posted:

They called me and I could hear the GM raging in the background about "that worthless motherfucker" and I"m equally amused for that to be referring to the CE or me.

I assume you told them to gently caress off.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Brut posted:

At this point if there's no backups, is there anything he can even do? Other than buying bitcoins, that is.

Build a new, non-lovely infrastructure from the ground up?
Assuming the station can even afford the losses and doesn't have to close up business.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

nielsm posted:

Build a new, non-lovely infrastructure from the ground up?
Assuming the station can even afford the losses and doesn't have to close up business.

Oh at this point it looks like the chances of him being brought in even for some kind of emergency triage/damage control are pretty low due to their stubbornness, I just figured the money for him to actually rebuild everything just doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm honestly amazed that paying the ransom wasn't the first choice of action.

• Locked thread