Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

philadelphia you rat how could you give your own brother the old spicy utility truck

I was twenty feet up and thought he left the interior light on but then it got brighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i funded his kickstarter and got some cool posters and stuff that are currently hanging next to my desk :3:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Moist von Lipwig posted:

it's been posted umpteen billion times but I read the whole thing every drat time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

philadelphia you rat how could you give your own brother the old spicy utility truck

I knew this joke was coming, but well executed

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Jonny 290 posted:

cmon we had sr71 chat and nobody posted the best story (or i missed it) ?

i fuckin' love this story

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Moist von Lipwig posted:

it's been posted umpteen billion times but I read the whole thing every drat time
same. so good

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Captain Foo posted:

I knew this joke was coming, but well executed

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

i at least think my programming makes the world worse off rather than believe it's akin to like, master carpentry or whatever :colbert:

poetry. you compose poetry understood by the machine.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

heeeee

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

That other story where they jet blast some British cadets is better imo

it's this one

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-sr-71-blackbirds-most-spectacular-flyover-was-also-1719654907

also v. good.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anybody see that mythbusters where they said that "the u2 is a freakin cool plane" was a myth so they could go test it by taking a ride

i wonder how bad it hurt jamie to let adam take the ride just cuz he'd be more entertaining on camera

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GameCube posted:

anybody see that mythbusters where they said that "the u2 is a freakin cool plane" was a myth so they could go test it by taking a ride

i wonder how bad it hurt jamie to let adam take the ride just cuz he'd be more entertaining on camera

the science channel was stuck in some weird loop where they'd play that same loving episode every single night at like 11 PM every day of every week for over a month, i have no idea why

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

to bring it back to the thread's topic that was also the episode where they drove a drone into a ballistics gel neck and sliced clear through to the jugular :allears:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Last spring, as Beckett Delaney was hoverboarding to his office in SoHo, his man bun flailing behind him in the wind, he came to an abrupt halt.

“I realized I just couldn’t work that day,” Delaney recalled recently, in between puffs of an e-cigarette outside the Bushwick Sweetgreen. “Because I hadn’t finished binge-watching Master of None.”

Delaney’s attitude is typical of his youthful cohort. Millennials—the demographic group also known as Generation Y, Generation Me, and Daesh—have found it difficult to balance dueling priorities as they exit their parents’ basements and enter the real world.

They have stacked up record student loan debt, and yet spend thousands on frivolous items like Beyoncé concert tickets and groceries; they yearn for more than just a paycheck, and yet continue to be employed in jobs that provide them with paychecks in return for their labor; and they enjoy watching television and movies, but also Vine.

“For me, the most important thing is expressing myself,” said Jewel Packard, 24, during an interview conducted via reaction GIFs in the communication app Slack. “Sometimes that means tattoos, and sometimes that means podcasts.”

Packard, who co-works at a bespoke underwear startup, and whose hobbies include 7 a.m. dance parties and sexting, said that she values her ability to express herself almost as much as she values her parents’ Netflix account.

“When it comes down to it, life is really all about finding a hashtag for yourself and sending hilarious emoji on Venmo,” Packard said, and then, after a moment of reflection, added: “Lena Dunham.”

Beckett Delaney agrees. Delaney lives in the Empire State Building, which his parents bought for him; he often invites fellow millennials, whom he meets on relationship apps, to his bedroom, so that they can kiss. (Occasionally, they copulate.)

Not that Delaney is looking to settle down. On the subject of marriage, Delaney, who practices yoga but is also an atheist, echoed an idea that the DJ/Model/Ecoterrorist Callista Larson often repeats to her hundreds of thousands of devoted Instagram followers.

“You’ve gotta ask yourself: Would you downvote the Yik Yak of your own life?” Delaney mused. His mood quickly soured. “Broad City is on,” he explained, removing a selfie stick from his man-purse.

This devotion to personal expression has presented itself in several outlets for the cosmopolitan millennial, including the $435 “Hamilton”-themed SoulCycle class in Red Hook, and the increasing popularity of Dr. Vanessa Sullivan, a hypnotherapist in Murray Hill who speaks only in references to the 1999 film She’s All That.

Whether millennials can sustain this rosy outlook as they assume corporate leadership roles and settle down with their Tinder wives is less certain.

“Millennials haven’t proven anything,” said Farley Cornmuncher, the 87-year-old Johns Hopkins professor and expert on millennial behavior. “Whether it’s their laziness, or their hookup culture, or their insistence on living with roommates, it’s clear that millennials have different values than those of us who are seventy years older than they are.”

Perhaps no one embodies this difference better than Davis Parkworth. The CEO of venture-backed shoelace marketplace Eyelet, Parkworth, 23, oversees an office where employees must give “trigger warnings” before entering the cafeteria, and where the office speaker system plays hits from Adele just as often as new tunes from 13-year-old YouTube a cappella sensation Kurtiz Blorch.

“If we’re not helping the environment, we’re not a successful company,” Parkworth enthused, wiping a kale stem from his handlebar mustache.

“Feel the Bern!” one of Parkworth’s employees shouted, generating a roar of approval from the kombucha-sipping creative team, many of whom had never applied for a mortgage or car loan. Just then Fillmore, the office rooster, strutted by. This was not your father’s shoelace company.

But then, emulating the previous generation doesn’t interest millennials like Parkworth, Packard, or Beckett Delaney.

“When I look back at my life, I want to know that I slayed,” Delaney said, using a slang term for “succeeded.” He spun in circles on his hoverboard, listening to pirated rap music and canceling his cable subscription.

“If that makes me a selfish millennial,” Delaney concluded, re-adjusting his Warby Parker monocle, “well, at least I’m keeping it 100.”

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

Last spring, as Beckett Delaney was hoverboarding to his office in SoHo, his man bun flailing behind him in the wind, he came to an abrupt halt.

I realized I just couldnt work that day, Delaney recalled recently, in between puffs of an e-cigarette outside the Bushwick Sweetgreen. Because I hadnt finished binge-watching Master of None.

Delaneys attitude is typical of his youthful cohort. Millennialsthe demographic group also known as Generation Y, Generation Me, and Daeshhave found it difficult to balance dueling priorities as they exit their parents basements and enter the real world.

They have stacked up record student loan debt, and yet spend thousands on frivolous items like Beyonc concert tickets and groceries; they yearn for more than just a paycheck, and yet continue to be employed in jobs that provide them with paychecks in return for their labor; and they enjoy watching television and movies, but also Vine.

For me, the most important thing is expressing myself, said Jewel Packard, 24, during an interview conducted via reaction GIFs in the communication app Slack. Sometimes that means tattoos, and sometimes that means podcasts.

Packard, who co-works at a bespoke underwear startup, and whose hobbies include 7 a.m. dance parties and sexting, said that she values her ability to express herself almost as much as she values her parents Netflix account.

When it comes down to it, life is really all about finding a hashtag for yourself and sending hilarious emoji on Venmo, Packard said, and then, after a moment of reflection, added: Lena Dunham.

Beckett Delaney agrees. Delaney lives in the Empire State Building, which his parents bought for him; he often invites fellow millennials, whom he meets on relationship apps, to his bedroom, so that they can kiss. (Occasionally, they copulate.)

Not that Delaney is looking to settle down. On the subject of marriage, Delaney, who practices yoga but is also an atheist, echoed an idea that the DJ/Model/Ecoterrorist Callista Larson often repeats to her hundreds of thousands of devoted Instagram followers.

Youve gotta ask yourself: Would you downvote the Yik Yak of your own life? Delaney mused. His mood quickly soured. Broad City is on, he explained, removing a selfie stick from his man-purse.

This devotion to personal expression has presented itself in several outlets for the cosmopolitan millennial, including the $435 Hamilton-themed SoulCycle class in Red Hook, and the increasing popularity of Dr. Vanessa Sullivan, a hypnotherapist in Murray Hill who speaks only in references to the 1999 film Shes All That.

Whether millennials can sustain this rosy outlook as they assume corporate leadership roles and settle down with their Tinder wives is less certain.

Millennials havent proven anything, said Farley Cornmuncher, the 87-year-old Johns Hopkins professor and expert on millennial behavior. Whether its their laziness, or their hookup culture, or their insistence on living with roommates, its clear that millennials have different values than those of us who are seventy years older than they are.

Perhaps no one embodies this difference better than Davis Parkworth. The CEO of venture-backed shoelace marketplace Eyelet, Parkworth, 23, oversees an office where employees must give trigger warnings before entering the cafeteria, and where the office speaker system plays hits from Adele just as often as new tunes from 13-year-old YouTube a cappella sensation Kurtiz Blorch.

If were not helping the environment, were not a successful company, Parkworth enthused, wiping a kale stem from his handlebar mustache.

Feel the Bern! one of Parkworths employees shouted, generating a roar of approval from the kombucha-sipping creative team, many of whom had never applied for a mortgage or car loan. Just then Fillmore, the office rooster, strutted by. This was not your fathers shoelace company.

But then, emulating the previous generation doesnt interest millennials like Parkworth, Packard, or Beckett Delaney.

When I look back at my life, I want to know that I slayed, Delaney said, using a slang term for succeeded. He spun in circles on his hoverboard, listening to pirated rap music and canceling his cable subscription.

If that makes me a selfish millennial, Delaney concluded, re-adjusting his Warby Parker monocle, well, at least Im keeping it 100.

hehe

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
which one is you smythe

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

which one is you smythe

dont think im featured in this artcile, im afraid. not a new yorker

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
that's fake right

Apr 7, 2003

overdesigned posted:

that's fake right

No, look it up, Beckett Delaney really does own the Empire State Building.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
smythe is a jew corker. loves the wine but can never finish a bottle in one sitting

Apr 7, 2003

born on a buy you posted:

smythe is a jew corker. loves the wine but can never finish a bottle in one sitting

This guy is Beckett Delaney IRL

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and the increasing popularity of Dr. Vanessa Sullivan, a hypnotherapist in Murray Hill who speaks only in references to the 1999 film Shes All That.

dead

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Citizen Tayne posted:

This guy is Beckett Delaney IRL

i wish my name was as upper middle class white guy as that.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

and the increasing popularity of Dr. Vanessa Sullivan, a hypnotherapist in Murray Hill who speaks only in references to the 1999 film Shes All That.

dead

this part actually sounds way better than a normal therapist

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

kwinkles posted:

this part actually sounds way better than a normal therapist
or even an analyst/therapist

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FMguru posted:

or even an analyst/therapist

really need to go back and re-watch all of those :allears:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
im mostly surprised Hamilton-themed SoulCycle isn't already a thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

uncurable mlady posted:

im mostly surprised Hamilton-themed SoulCycle isn't already a thing

soulcycles already come and gone its orangetheory now

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

soulcycles already come and gone its orangetheory now

i know someone who does this

she is a management consultant
she is on adderall all the time
she wakes up at 5 am every god drat morning

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Jonny 290 posted:

orangetheory

Dare I ask ?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

kwinkles posted:

i know someone who does this

she is a management consultant
she is on adderall all the time
she wakes up at 5 am every god drat morning

I wake up at 5 every morning

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

jre posted:

Dare I ask ?

everyone gets a heart rate monitor and your heart rate is displayed on a giant board in the front of the room along with everyone else's, and you get to compete to see who has the better heart rate / fitness level as defined by their weird "orange zone" which is basically just "not really your maximum heart rate but close" and whoever does the best job of staying in their orange zone..... wins i guess? idk

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

keyboard vomit posted:

I wake up at 5 every morning

you also post consistently some of the most boring and bad posts on this forum.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Smythe posted:

you also post consistently some of the most boring and bad posts on this forum.

What else am I gonna do at work

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

keyboard vomit posted:

Anything else.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Smythe posted:

Anything else.

:thurman:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

keyboard vomit posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Smythe posted:

Anything else.

welp

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

Anything else.
flawless technique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU