Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Here's my mod progress for the night, the end of mission loot is based on the amount of bodies I carried out via Evac:

Chucked it on Github while I'm at it, probably gonna ignore the issue of carry animations for now, someone else with better knowledge of that aspect of UDK dev would be of great help there, as it stands I'm gonna start working through all the missions to set them up with the same win conditions and figure out a good setup to start tuning the balance of the reinforcements.

https://github.com/MalucoMarinero/XCOM2GuerillaWarfare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SynthOrange posted:

ITS HAPPENING

Would it be possible to swap it for the old Skyranger somehow? I love that design so much.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Carcer posted:

You made a liquid metal dropship?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that first. :haw:

Maluco Marinero posted:

Here's my mod progress for the night, the end of mission loot is based on the amount of bodies I carried out via Evac:

... Would it even be remotely possible to add a equip item (with a few charges) that lets you "Fulton recovery" a body? :aaa:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 22, 2016

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
That would be interesting, if I could make the code stack the corpse into the loot system I could make the mechanics work, but then we'd need an animation to go with it too.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, Sectoids are safe unless it's mind control at the absolute worst time. I think people would take Sectoids much more seriously if their AI was much more vindictive, they can really mess up a fight if they open up with mind control.

The improved Sectoid AI mod does, in fact, make them significantly more annoying.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I actually like current sectoid AI, it makes sense for them with their place as tier 1 enemies to be kinda dumb and mostly use an ability that discourages rushing but is otherwise pretty harmless.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So besides Unconventional Warfare, Trooper, and Lucubrations Infantry Class are there any other good new workshop classes?

The Guerilla Class looks like of fun but was wondering if any one has tried it out yet.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Was thinking of something fun on the drive home today.

This mod lets you 'buy' missions, right? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=646124583 You spend some money and research time, can prevent a dark event or whatever.

And this mod lets you do survival mode, 10 rounds in the ring with a new wave of enemy reinforcements every round. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=647242867

What if .... you combined the two? :D Call it 'frontal assault', make it cost 200 of each material. Every round you survive you get +25 of each material, another pod of reinforcements, and +2 soldiers randomly done from your list. It would be a crazy all-in move where you injure 3/4 of your list, but you get hundreds of alien alloys/intel/supplies :D

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

BexGu posted:

So besides Unconventional Warfare, Trooper, and Lucubrations Infantry Class are there any other good new workshop classes?

The Guerilla Class looks like of fun but was wondering if any one has tried it out yet.

I've tried them all and have been unimpressed with everything except for Lubrications Infantry.

The rogue class is OK but not great. I think I'm going to play with starting squad size 5 and just the Infantry class add-on.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

BexGu posted:

I'm not sure i like the idea of a "defensive" class, having someone who can actually take hits would completely change the dynamic of the game.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

LowellDND posted:

It would be a crazy all-in move where you injure 3/4 of your list, but you get hundreds of alien alloys/intel/supplies :D

I might like to see a one-time high-risk/high-reward mission as a means of arresting the sort of slow, crushing death spiral the game tends to devolve into when things are going badly--a way when you realize you're probably not going to win to just bet it all on red and either revive your flagging resistance or just lose outright.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, Sectoids are safe unless it's mind control at the absolute worst time. I think people would take Sectoids much more seriously if their AI was much more vindictive, they can really mess up a fight if they open up with mind control.

they're mind controlling like loving mad on this playthrough when I've only ever had them do it once on my last playthrough. it's really making me begin to actually care about targeting them now

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I generally target sectoids as kill-on-sight so that I don't end up with an ironman mexican standoff with two mind controlled soldiers doing overwatch react fire on each other until one is dead and the other has one block of health left. Again.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
It's not that sectoids aren't dangerous, because they are. They're just the least dangerous thing on the field in the early game. I've seen way too many pods of captain, stunlancer and sectoid when I'm still at squad size 4 or 5 with T1 guns and frags. There simply isn't enough damage-per-turn in my squad to take out all three at once, so the only sound choice is to pour everything into taking out the captain and then the lancer, then deal with the sectoid on the following turn. An enemy that nearly always takes two turns to damage the squad is an enemy I'm okay with leaving alone for one. Especially when you can remove most of their turn 2 badness with a tactically-cheap flashbang.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sectoids are also 1-shotable by Rangers, which makes them easy to kill once you're ready to.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

SeaTard posted:

Sectoids are also 1-shotable by Rangers, which makes them easy to kill once you're ready to.

Look at this scrub who's not even playing on legend, sectoids have 10 health there.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I have a (modded to gently caress) campaign on Legend, and I'm still iffy on it. when this one fails, I will be trying the enemy squad size mod. Still debating on Legend or one notch down. It's not that the pods on Legend are so hosed, so much as that one borked RNG uncontrolled activation and that's it.

Currently think the game would probably be better off with half the pods and twice the size. Combat isn't so much the issue as "oh and this patrol rolled the wrong number, or the wrong thing burned down and opened up LoS, grats". I am wondering if something could be worked out where every time you kill a pod and clear all your activations, your squad gets Concealed again... there would need to be changes to concealment, clearly, but still. LoS is goddamn far for every pod that wouldn't even see you to activate off you seeing them.

Then again, I'm not that amazing at XCOM, but still. Controlling activations can be fun, it just often isn't.

e: Curious about enemy AI mods, other ways to make the game challenging in a fun way instead of "welp, youre hosed". I've only been looking on the nexus, I guess I can fish my steam password out and log into the website to see if I can just flat download the mods themselves from the workshop or what.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Maluco Marinero posted:

Chucked it on Github while I'm at it, probably gonna ignore the issue of carry animations for now, someone else with better knowledge of that aspect of UDK dev would be of great help there, as it stands I'm gonna start working through all the missions to set them up with the same win conditions and figure out a good setup to start tuning the balance of the reinforcements.

https://github.com/MalucoMarinero/XCOM2GuerillaWarfare

... Are you touching vanilla loot at all with this mod?

Keep posting your progress though, I will play the poo poo out of this. gently caress hard timers, I want swarms of ADVENT coming at me as I evac.

Melanion posted:

It's not that sectoids aren't dangerous, because they are. They're just the least dangerous thing on the field in the early game. I've seen way too many pods of captain, stunlancer and sectoid when I'm still at squad size 4 or 5 with T1 guns and frags. There simply isn't enough damage-per-turn in my squad to take out all three at once, so the only sound choice is to pour everything into taking out the captain and then the lancer, then deal with the sectoid on the following turn. An enemy that nearly always takes two turns to damage the squad is an enemy I'm okay with leaving alone for one. Especially when you can remove most of their turn 2 badness with a tactically-cheap flashbang.

I would think you would want to prioritize the stun lancer?

Captains are basically just Troopers who can mark targets and have grenades, right? If you don't bunch up they don't toss nades, and their AI seems to always prioritize moving if they start a turn flanked - so often all they do is move and then mark or overwatch.

Meanwhile the lancer can one-shot KO anyone from a full move. Those fuckers have to die ASAP.

Sectoids you can kind of gently caress with their AI in the same way as Troopers/Captains - they will always move if they start a turn flanked, then they prefer making zombies. If on the second turn you still can't take them out for whatever reason and the zombie is in a spot to threaten one of your guys, toss a flashbang at the swoltoid to instantly kill it.

(NB: I play on Veteran so if the AI gets better on harder difficulties I haven't had the pleasure of getting reamed by it yet)

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 22, 2016

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Finally finished a campaign, the finale was way better then the last game. That last rush where you're trying to take out the avatars while keeping wave after wave of enemies off you was amazing. It also looks like the terror from the deep dudes aren't allied with the elders from what they say during the last DBZ battle. Now I'm sad because it's going to be at least 2 years before the next main xcom

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Are the stats shown at the end across all difficulties, or does it only compare Lengendary to Legendary/Commander to Commader? According to the stats when I wrapped up my Legendary game, I was slower than average to research weapons and armor. Just wondering if my game was being compared to other Legendary games, or Commander games where research/construction times are faster.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

WarLocke posted:

... Are you touching vanilla loot at all with this mod?

Keep posting your progress though, I will play the poo poo out of this. gently caress hard timers, I want swarms of ADVENT coming at me as I evac.

Nothing will really be safe here, I'm looking at this as a mod with hopefully a balanced end result, so rather than expecting players to mix and match I'll be trying to balance the lot.

A few things I think I'll need is ways to train up your roster better, so the Guerilla training school should be able to train up higher ranks if combined with minimum combat experience.

Either way I'll probably package the mod up as a preview soon, just so people can see where it's going, but that said I could probably get a lot done by smashing through all the maps and just getting them ready.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

WarLocke posted:

I would think you would want to prioritize the stun lancer?

Captains are basically just Troopers who can mark targets and have grenades, right? If you don't bunch up they don't toss nades, and their AI seems to always prioritize moving if they start a turn flanked - so often all they do is move and then mark or overwatch.

Meanwhile the lancer can one-shot KO anyone from a full move. Those fuckers have to die ASAP.

Sectoids you can kind of gently caress with their AI in the same way as Troopers/Captains - they will always move if they start a turn flanked, then they prefer making zombies. If on the second turn you still can't take them out for whatever reason and the zombie is in a spot to threaten one of your guys, toss a flashbang at the swoltoid to instantly kill it.

(NB: I play on Veteran so if the AI gets better on harder difficulties I haven't had the pleasure of getting reamed by it yet)

I'll be honest with you, I chose my words poorly. My goal is to have everything that isn't a sectoid die on reveal in those Advent/sectoid packs. However, I typically have a much higher chance to have two soldiers (or even one If I can get a Ranger into flanking position) kill the officer and then throw everyone else at the stunlancer. The absurd wound timers on legend mean that risking less damage is almost always better. I would rather risk a 2-4 damage stun with 65 aim that leaves the enemy in terrible position instead of a 3-4 shot with 75+ aim and a higher crit chance. Even though there is a chance of additional status affects with the lancer, in practice I end up with shorter medbay times overall when I prioritize the officers.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, officers are public enemy number one with Mark and the higher aim, stun lancers can have some of the risk removed with a flashbang, and by the time you're consistently getting pods with officer + lancer + other you should have enough killing power to strip cover and kill both of them most of the time.

That said though, people should use suppression because -50 aim is nothing to sneeze at and works even better when the enemy is restricted and has no other cover options.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Book plot point spoiler

So what was up with the contagion zone in the xcom book? The aliens were scared as gently caress of them in the book but it never showed up in xcom 2.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Maluco Marinero posted:

That said though, people should use suppression because -50 aim is nothing to sneeze at and works even better when the enemy is restricted and has no other cover options.

I haven't tested it myself but according to one dude on the 2K forums, the Aim penalty on Suppression only applies if they don't move.

If they move and trigger the OW shot then the Aim penalty goes poof.

I guess I should get that Perfect Information mod so I can test it myself instead of probably spewing secondhand bullshit here though :saddowns:

Maluco Marinero posted:

Nothing will really be safe here, I'm looking at this as a mod with hopefully a balanced end result, so rather than expecting players to mix and match I'll be trying to balance the lot.

Any chance of a 'lite' version for people who might be using other mods that would conflict (like other changes to the GTS or whatever)?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You guys should tune into Beagle's stream for a very special session.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DrManiac posted:

Book plot point spoiler

So what was up with the contagion zone in the xcom book? The aliens were scared as gently caress of them in the book but it never showed up in xcom 2.
Hopefully they come up in the next two DLCs, because there's nothing about them now.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

WarLocke posted:

I haven't tested it myself but according to one dude on the 2K forums, the Aim penalty on Suppression only applies if they don't move.

If they move and trigger the OW shot then the Aim penalty goes poof.
It does, but that doesn't mean it's not useful. Sometimes it's the best option available if you can't kill the officer, they don't always move because that may open up a flank opportunity or put them out of shooting range.

WarLocke posted:

Any chance of a 'lite' version for people who might be using other mods that would conflict (like other changes to the GTS or whatever)?

Possibly, the problem is the mod will completely change the balance for all sorts of stuff because of forced errors, lower numbers of recovered corpses, etc etc.

That said, I could structure the mod such that we have the Base and then the Balance Tune, but the fact is it won't play nice with any map mods, so true concealment won't work as every map with reinforcements with have an ExponentialRNF map (which manages the spawning rules) and an override of the mission map to change the goals from killing everything to achieving the objective and evacuating.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Maluco Marinero posted:

It does, but that doesn't mean it's not useful. Sometimes it's the best option available if you can't kill the officer, they don't always move because that may open up a flank opportunity or put them out of shooting range.

You could Demolition their cover and give the rest of your squad free flank shots and/or force the Captain to move on his turn (since moving if flanked seems to be right at the top of their priority listing).

Honestly, the more I think about those two abilities the more I find myself warming to Demolition (now that it's fixed).

quote:

Possibly, the problem is the mod will completely change the balance for all sorts of stuff because of forced errors, lower numbers of recovered corpses, etc etc.

That said, I could structure the mod such that we have the Base and then the Balance Tune, but the fact is it won't play nice with any map mods, so true concealment won't work as every map with reinforcements with have an ExponentialRNF map (which manages the spawning rules) and an override of the mission map to change the goals from killing everything to achieving the objective and evacuating.

Ah, point. Well, I reserve judgment until I can see the mod in action. If the core effect is as awesome as it sounds, I could deal with a rather large overhaul.

Ravenfood posted:

Hopefully they come up in the next two DLCs, because there's nothing about them now.

They would make sense for the Vahlen 'bounty hunter' type DLC, I think. Send your dudes in their to find/extract Weird poo poo (maybe re-introduce MELD?)

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 22, 2016

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Does anyone recall who posted the tips for Exquisite Timing? I can't remember their name and it was many many pages ago. Beat the game on Legendary Ironman and looking to knock out that achievement next.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

DrManiac posted:

Book plot point spoiler

Probably something that got dropped from the rough sketch they gave the author, maybe something we'll see in DLC/Sequel.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

dyzzy posted:

Probably something that got dropped from the rough sketch they gave the author, maybe something we'll see in DLC/Sequel.

It actually gets mentioned in passing on at least one of the Strategic Layer Events, at least it appeared to be a reference to it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its pretty obviously a setup for either an expansion or sequel with TFTD/Apocalypse elements. There are actually references to areas like those zones in the campaign when you get certain map events, and the teaser ending screams "weird poo poo is going down".

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

wuffles posted:

Does anyone recall who posted the tips for Exquisite Timing? I can't remember their name and it was many many pages ago. Beat the game on Legendary Ironman and looking to knock out that achievement next.

Bring a full team of Psi-Ops. Except a grenadier with holo-targeting will help a lot. Scopes, stocks and repeaters are your best friends.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Would it be possible to bring a corpse to the evac zone and have it... evaced, without having to lose the trooper for the map? It'd be cool to be able to ferry corpses as long as you can last killing the enemies, instead of just bugging out as soon as you have 4-6 corpses and the mission objective complete.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

One thing I didn't like about the end game was that they introduced a cool way to spend your excess Intel on a super easy mission and dropped it for the marathon you had to run after. I didn't even use any consumables because I thought there was going to be a twist or something.

Zokalwe
Jul 27, 2013

Jon Do posted:

I am wondering if something could be worked out where every time you kill a pod and clear all your activations, your squad gets Concealed again... there would need to be changes to concealment, clearly, but still. LoS is goddamn far for every pod that wouldn't even see you to activate off you seeing them.

There's a mod that does that. I think it's called squad concealment (Can't check now, lovely internet)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WarLocke posted:

Honestly, the more I think about those two abilities the more I find myself warming to Demolition (now that it's fixed).

Does it still have a chance to not blow up the cover at all?

Zokalwe
Jul 27, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Does it still have a chance to not blow up the cover at all?

Still has a chance to miss, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

GodFish posted:

Would it be possible to bring a corpse to the evac zone and have it... evaced, without having to lose the trooper for the map? It'd be cool to be able to ferry corpses as long as you can last killing the enemies, instead of just bugging out as soon as you have 4-6 corpses and the mission objective complete.

I would probably make an ability with charges for that (as sort of asked for earlier), something where maybe you're carrying a harness set or something :D

I'm definitely aiming to make it impossible to survive the reinforcements if you wait too long, two reinforcements per turn is the rate it will eventually get to.