Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Thermopyle posted:

If it helps any I don't feel any sort of upgrade envy when looking at current gen wear devices even though I'm using a 360/1.

I mean, yeah they're smoother and have better screens but it's not like I spend more than a few minutes a day actually interacting with the thing.

After a year and a half I've only just now started thinking about replacing my OG 360. The LCD is starting to show some 'wear' where the date and most of my appointments show up along the ring. Even then, I only notice it as a slight purple tint when something with a white background shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Thermopyle posted:

If it helps any I don't feel any sort of upgrade envy when looking at current gen wear devices even though I'm using a 360/1.

I mean, yeah they're smoother and have better screens but it's not like I spend more than a few minutes a day actually interacting with the thing.

I'd like a watch with lugs for better compatibility with bands and I dislike the flat tire but other than that the 360-1 is fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One thing the lugs do unfortunately is break compatibility with universal wireless chargers since the lugs don't allow it to lay flat anymore.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I don't know about the 360v2, but my Fossil Q Founder is able to charge off a flat qi charge pad. It does get significantly warmer than when on the dedicated charger though, so I do not plan to do this often.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I don't know about the 360v2, but my Fossil Q Founder is able to charge off a flat qi charge pad. It does get significantly warmer than when on the dedicated charger though, so I do not plan to do this often.

How's your experience with the q founder? My wife commandeered my zenwatch2 and I'm deciding between waiting for the next gen chipset vs buying the q.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

bull3964 posted:

One thing the lugs do unfortunately is break compatibility with universal wireless chargers since the lugs don't allow it to lay flat anymore.

I'd probably actually prefer something I can plugin, QI charging is a nightmare when you're traveling.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I've found that the 360 will recognize the charger, but won't actually get any charge into it. There is a visible airgap under it when laying on the lugs. You need a charger with a diameter smaller than the ends of the lugs.

uPen posted:

I'd probably actually prefer something I can plugin, QI charging is a nightmare when you're traveling.

Actually, it was really nice with the first gen since you could get a small 3000mAh battery with wireless charging built in. You could charge the watch for a week with zero wires.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

lostleaf posted:

How's your experience with the q founder?

I actually like it more than I expected to, but I would not pay retail price for it. It's just as smooth as any other Android wear watch, and I find qi charging to be a killer feature. On the other hand, it lacks a heartbeat sensor.
For the same money, the huawei has a better screen and more features, but it's smaller and lacks qi charging.

I have a coupon code for 20% off anything Fossil somewhere, but I think it expired this last weekend. You're welcome to try it anyway. Contact me at sshipman@gmail

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

uPen posted:

This doesn't change with wired charging though, since AFAIK none of the smartwatches currently on the market with wired charging use a normal USB connector. You still have a dongle you need to use to charge, just now it's proprietary to the specific watch or family of watches. At least with Qi if you forget your charging pad you can go to any large electronics store and buy a replacement. If I forget my HWatch dongle I'm SOL.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

So whats the least bad Android Watch out there right now?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The thing I like about the Moto's Qi charger is that unlike everyone else's charger, it sets the watch upright so you can use it as a bedroom clock while it's charging.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

wolrah posted:

This doesn't change with wired charging though, since AFAIK none of the smartwatches currently on the market with wired charging use a normal USB connector. You still have a dongle you need to use to charge, just now it's proprietary to the specific watch or family of watches. At least with Qi if you forget your charging pad you can go to any large electronics store and buy a replacement. If I forget my HWatch dongle I'm SOL.

Sony SW3 charges via MicroUSB port.

Now it's a complete pain in the balls to hook up compared to my OG 360, but it's nice not having to carry anything extra when traveling.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 23, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LionYeti posted:

They have very similar internals right now so there's no winner on specs. Pick the one that looks the most fashionable to you and has a price you are willing to pay.

Or alternatively, wait until the devices with the new Snapdragon Wear chip are available.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I just found out that Infinity Loop is available on Android Wear. It's a game where you make patterns by rotating shapes. It works really well on my watch, and it's free!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LionYeti posted:

All the new ones are similar as mentioned but Huawei watch has the highest resolution, sapphire glass, small bezel, audio speaker, plays video, etc. so narrowly qualifies as the "nicest" one IMO.

Plus you and your girlfriend will look like this is if you buy one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7djHw7vQn8k

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Why would I want to look like a douchebag.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Thermopyle posted:

We just assumed it was intentional

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
The back cover on my fitbit charge HR snapped off and apparently despite being out for about 14 months it isn't covered by any warranty and cannot be repaired. Before I replace it, does Android wear do the same heart rate monitoring? What are my alternatives?

I mostly use it to track workout intensity and get an estimate of how much more I can eat each day.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FunOne posted:

The back cover on my fitbit charge HR snapped off and apparently despite being out for about 14 months it isn't covered by any warranty and cannot be repaired. Before I replace it, does Android wear do the same heart rate monitoring? What are my alternatives?

I mostly use it to track workout intensity and get an estimate of how much more I can eat each day.

Android Wear does heartbeat monitoring but not well.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

Reverse Centaur posted:

All the new ones are similar as mentioned but Huawei watch has the highest resolution, sapphire glass, small bezel, audio speaker, plays video, etc. so narrowly qualifies as the "nicest" one IMO.

Plus you and your girlfriend will look like this is if you buy one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7djHw7vQn8k

I can confirm. I have the Huawei, and I went from being a fat, smelly goon to a fit young man literally overnight. But seriously, I did lose a bunch of weight since I got it, and started dressing like a douchebag, so YMMV. I love the watch though.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

FunOne posted:

If you want hr monitoring for anything more accurate than 'that's neat I guess' dont buy Android wear.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I got a galaxy s7 edge and was looking to get a smart watch to go with it. I was originally leaning towards the gear s2 because I am really digging S Health, but it's kind of a bummer the base model doesn't have a way to answer calls, and I am not going to pay the extra plus a monthly fee for the cell enabled one.

Is there an android wear app that is as good as S Health? The food database on it is surprisingly good, and overall it basically has all the features I am looking for in one app.

I just can't decide if that is enough to steer me towards the gear s2 or not.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

I got a galaxy s7 edge and was looking to get a smart watch to go with it. I was originally leaning towards the gear s2 because I am really digging S Health, but it's kind of a bummer the base model doesn't have a way to answer calls, and I am not going to pay the extra plus a monthly fee for the cell enabled one.

Is there an android wear app that is as good as S Health? The food database on it is surprisingly good, and overall it basically has all the features I am looking for in one app.

I just can't decide if that is enough to steer me towards the gear s2 or not.

Hmm. Maybe MyFitnessPal in combination with Runkeeper, Strava, or Runtastic?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Thermopyle posted:

You bought a smartwatch.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Whizbang posted:

You bought a smartwatch.

This... is a good point.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The Huawei watch is everything I would want IF it had a light sensor.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Turns out in order to get the Gear S2 or Urbane LTE for $200 you have to sign up for cell service on them, making them actually more expensive than more attractive options like the Huawei or 360 2.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My Moto 360 1st gen band is splitting. What's the cheapest way to go about getting a new one? I looked up some straps on Amazon but I'm not sure if they'll just fit or not. The watch shop in the mall said something about needing an adaptor to make regular watch bands fit properly

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Len posted:

My Moto 360 1st gen band is splitting. What's the cheapest way to go about getting a new one? I looked up some straps on Amazon but I'm not sure if they'll just fit or not. The watch shop in the mall said something about needing an adaptor to make regular watch bands fit properly
I use the SteelConnect 180s with a standard watch band on my 360. Supposedly they also help with the back cracking, but we'll see.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Huawei Watch is $125 off in the google play store (in Canada until the 9th at least) and they're finally selling women's versions in 'Murica.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

It's also $100 off ($249) on Amazon. I'm slightly tempted to pick one up to replace my OG 360.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

If the Huawei watch had an ambient light sensor, I'd be all over it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

AlexDeGruven posted:

If the Huawei watch had an ambient light sensor, I'd be all over it.

Such a weird reason to not get it if you like everything about it otherwise. I haven't used a smartwatch that wasn't too dark in the sun and too bright at night, light sensor or not.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Such a weird reason to not get it if you like everything about it otherwise. I haven't used a smartwatch that wasn't too dark in the sun and too bright at night, light sensor or not.

For me, my OG 360 is just right in both aspects. I guess I'd have to see how the OLED looks in daylight when tuned to a tolerable dark brightness, but I doubt there would be a happy medium for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

My Moto 360/2 is never too bright or too dark.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Reverse Centaur posted:

I use an app to fix that on my phone (that is, make the brightness correct in the dark and sunlight). Can you run an app like that on an android watch?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

taqueso posted:

I use an app to fix that on my phone (that is, make the brightness correct in the dark and sunlight). Can you run an app like that on an android watch?

How would it work without a light sensor?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

How would it work without a light sensor?

I meant, if Reverse Centaur thought that watches even with a light sensor weren't matching his brightness expectations, perhaps he could try an app to fix that. Because it should be entirely possible to have auto-brightness work well (assuming a light sensor).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

taqueso posted:

I meant, if Reverse Centaur thought that watches even with a light sensor weren't matching his brightness expectations, perhaps he could try an app to fix that. Because it should be entirely possible to have auto-brightness work well (assuming a light sensor).

Ah, gotcha.

I have to say from my experience that with a light sensor there isn't a need for an app or anything to manage it. It's never been too bright or too dark (I use Ambient Display if that matters). Like AlexDeGruven, I'd consider a lack of a light sensor to be a dealbreaker on something like a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Ah, gotcha.

I have to say from my experience that with a light sensor there isn't a need for an app or anything to manage it. It's never been too bright or too dark (I use Ambient Display if that matters). Like AlexDeGruven, I'd consider a lack of a light sensor to be a dealbreaker on something like a watch.

Seems like a watch without a sensor would be really bad for the battery, unreadable in bright light, or way too bright at night. Probably all three.