Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Archer666 posted:

:psyduck: Goddamn it I'm going to reply this, because I really don't understand this way of thinking. Does it assume that the mystery person not giving her the benefit of the doubt automatically gives it to males? Or that it lumps scepticism together with "Women's ideas were unfairly questioned throughout history"? I'm legit confused.
What about the concept of mansplaining confuses you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The more ya'll post about this the more I like her and think this perspective is super valuable. So thanks!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

What about the concept of mansplaining confuses you?

A lot, really. But now I know that's what she meant, I'll drop the subject before it gets messy.

Speaking of feminism, Brad takes a look at Wonder Woman!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PKIiySCXhc

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

The more ya'll post about this the more I like her and think this perspective is super valuable. So thanks!

It is absolutely super loving valuable, which is why I wish she would actually express this perspective instead of just allude to it.

But she won't, because she knows that if she would come outright and say "I don't think it's great that the default form of gameplay is the celebration of violence", it would discredit her in the eyes of a whole lot of people who are otherwise onboard with her 100%. It would make her look like the stereotypical "girl-who-doesn't-like-violent-games", when by all accounts she admittedly does enjoy violent games.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

nine-gear crow posted:

That actually does sound like a great premise for a game. An elaborate trolling simulator built around Hitman's engine would be fantastic.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

like he said, it would be fantastic

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DStecks posted:

It is absolutely super loving valuable, which is why I wish she would actually express this perspective instead of just allude to it.

But she won't, because she knows that if she would come outright and say "I don't think it's great that the default form of gameplay is the celebration of violence", it would discredit her in the eyes of a whole lot of people who are otherwise onboard with her 100%. It would make her look like the stereotypical "girl-who-doesn't-like-violent-games", when by all accounts she admittedly does enjoy violent games.

That seems like a tricky spot to be in, so I guess I don't mind alluding to it. Especially since speaking about it in terms of mechanics might, as you said, be more accessible to people who otherwise might have knee-jerk reactions against a woman being "soft" about violence.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I know when I play WH40K Space Marine, I'm really yearning for the option to explain to the Orks why killing is bad while wearing fun costumes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Anita can have actual lovely opinions too. I understand she's in a bad position given she's the lightning rod for GamerGate bullshit and the sheer hatred slung her way is sickening, but if she agrees with all that stuff about all violence in video games being bad, that doesn't make her other points less valid, it just means she's a three dimensional person who can't be all good or all bad depending on the viewer.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

WickedHate posted:

but if she agrees with all that stuff about all violence in video games being bad
Which stuff? Where?

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Max Wilco posted:

I cannot stand McIntosh. The stuff he's tweeted has seriously pissed me off; from saying that Batman 'doesn't express fear despite Arkham Knight being about fear', to saying that Fallout is 'constructed around some deeply conservative right-wing ideological assumptions' (which totally baffles me), and stuff that only really annoys me specifically.

Can we talk about how McIntosh lists himself as "a pop culture hacker and transformative storyteller?" The pop culture hacker bit is just a really douchey way of calling himself a critic, but the transformative storyteller bit really sticks out. Since as far as I can tell, he's never written fiction outside of a few YouTube mashups. But he still refers to himself as such in every bio for every project he's a part of. Sometimes it's explained as the storytelling in his mashup videos, but even then, I'm not sure if it can really be declared "transformative." His Donald Duck video was pretty well made, but I don't think it fundamentally reshaped a medium.

I know it's probably a minor thing, but listing your occupation as "I transform popular culture through my art" is lovely enough when it isn't technically untrue.

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 23, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
McIntosh's example of "hypermasculinity" is a Captain America: Civil War :lol: There's something deeply wrong with this strain of progressivism, this school of people constantly battling against the "toxic". It's politics of discomfort and not equality.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Masculinity isn't inherently toxic, people are allowed to have a romanticized image of the role they play in life. It's only when those roles are imposed on people who don't necessarily want them, and when they encourage ignorance to the detriment of others (i.e. treating women like garbage) that they become an issue. Captain America is a pretty drat positive masculine role model, at least as he's shown in the movies. I also never saw it but Leon Thomas said that Magic Mike 2 was a really good "male empowerment" movie that worked well with the modern age. There isn't wrong with these stories that push strong male role models existing, the issue is that other perspectives aren't sufficiently represented. This isn't just a political issue either, we need more variety in general, not just with the people we show but the stories we tell.

I actually do think that more non-violent video games would be nice, just because it would encourage a lot of creativity and innovation in storytelling and we could use some more variety in the industry. Journey was a fantastic game with zero combat. That doesn't mean every violent video game is bad though and that violent video games are toxic, conflict is where all storytelling comes from and "kill these guys before they kill you" is a pretty simple conflict that works well as an excuse for gameplay. Death is a very obvious fail state and beating the bad guys is a very obvious win state, of course these are going to be prevalent in games.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 22, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People can say things about movies and then you can disagree with them later and everything is fine.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Another thing worthy of note on the ubiquity of video game violence is that it's kinda-sorta partly endemic-ish to the medium. Computers have a very difficult time representing anything but spatial simulations in a way that is easily understood or learned by humans, and spatial simulations by their nature make it very easy to construct compelling representations of combat or similar conflict and very very difficult to represent more abstract or mental issues. It's easy to teach a computer how to calculate simple jump or bullet physics. It's rather more difficult to teach a computer to love, or to hold a grudge. Campster talked about that at some length waaaaaaay back.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 22, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

While you nerds were talking about assassins wearing dresses and whether a story called Hitman should be violent, Miss Wallace put out her Patreon Q&A Session, which is about an hour long. If you're following her there (and you should be) go give it a watch.

Plus she answered my questions, which makes me feel superior.

edit: And Brad put out a message where he talks a bit about his state of mind, but he's doing better since the breakup. Just needs a few days here and there. And I guess he's been dealing with depression for a long time, which is news to me. He's back on track (for the most part) and his God's Not Dead 2 review should be out in the next couple weeks.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 22, 2016

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Another thing worthy of note on the ubiquity of video game violence is that it's kinda-sorta partly endemic-ish to the medium. Computers have a very difficult time representing anything but spatial simulations in a way that is easily understood or learned by humans, and spatial simulations by their nature make it very easy to construct compelling representations of combat or similar conflict and very very difficult to represent more abstract or mental issues. It's easy to teach a computer how to calculate simple jump or bullet physics. It's rather more difficult to teach a computer to love, or to hold a grudge. Campster talked about that at some length waaaaaaay back.

It's a mix of both the way the medium functions and the essence of human media itself. To quote the ever-enlighteningly-wonderful Tim Rogers, whose dog is my avatar:

Tim Rogers' 17,000+ word review of Bioshock which Everyone Should Read posted:

Once upon a time, game design genius Clifford “CliffyB” Bleszinski said, in an interview, that because raycasting is such a simple function in 3D simulations, it’s easy to make a game understand when any given point is geometrically aligned with another. Bleszinski said that entertainment experiences, in general, are about reaching out and touching people, and that because of the ease of raycasting and its natural similarity to aiming and pointing a gun, games, as entertainment, are more often than not about “reaching out and touching someone with your gun”.

I believe in Bleszinski (“Cliff”, as he’ll let me call him . . . someday), and I also believe that the abundance of violence in videogames is spillover from the parts of the brain that the original Grand Theft Auto poured lighter fluid on: “here are objects on my screen, and they resemble objects I’ve seen in my real life, and I can do things to them that I’d never do to anyone in the real world.”

What I mean is, games are power fantasies — and it’s easy to make power fantasies, because guns are so powerful, and raycasting is simple, and raycasting is like a gun.

Most likely, the only worthy conclusion here is that when you’ve spent One Hundred Million Dollars building the densest game environment in history, if shooting games are the only ones making billions of dollars, you probably want shooting in your game.

The real question, if I'm permitted to throw my lot in as to what that is, isn't whether violent media is good or bad or influential in some straightforward way. Violence is inherent, and, under capitalism, both systemic and inescapable. The question is how we as humans read violence in art and how we deal with it in reality.

Anita's tweets about Hitman are grasping at an answer to this sort of question a bajillion times harder than the thousands of people who just want to get self-righteously angry at Some Lady's Opinion, defending the 'rights' of a game developer to make violent games as if that's what's at stake here at all.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

quote:

Chapter Two: Let’s keep talking about the box art.

I'm liking this guy despite his efforts otherwise.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hbomberguy posted:

Anita's tweets about Hitman are grasping at an answer to this sort of question a bajillion times harder than the thousands of people who just want to get self-righteously angry at Some Lady's Opinion, defending the 'rights' of a game developer to make violent games as if that's what's at stake here at all.

That's what sucks about this.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I don't get why people in this thread must act like she is 100% right and anyone who think otherwise is a evil gator.

I mean I love Neil Degrasse Tyson and George takei but even I think he post on twitter can get dumb at times (mainly Neil) and I get Anita's point and how games seem to use violent as a default gameplay mode. I welcome more shooters like splatoon then something that is just gritty like the division which I have in interest in. but I feel it should be fine to disagree with anyone without being called names.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Cyron posted:

I don't get why people in this thread must act like she is 100% right and anyone who think otherwise is a evil gator.
This is not what anyone is saying.
You are writing fan fiction. Don't do that.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

DStecks posted:

Which are basically exhibits A and B in the case of how shitlords make it impossible to critically engage with Anita's points when she talks about stuff that's in a greyer area than "maybe game women shouldn't exist purely to be sex objects and murder victims". And I'm saying this as somebody who agrees with every single word of Tropes vs. Women in Games.

DStecks posted:

Those are not the words of somebody who "doesn't really care", that's literally first-level GG rhetoric.

are you sure? this thread ues to be great before it become Dstecks blog.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 22, 2016

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, it's a reenforcing cycle.

The people who built the infrastructure valued spatial simulation (because it's super-duper useful for all kinds of Real Job tasks, like engineering and geology) which made the computers good at spatial simulation which starts the whole cycle of using, developing, and improving the spatial simulations.

It's not that it's more difficult to teach a computer to hold a grudge (spatial simulation is so complex that many of us buy an entire mini-computer to put into our computer just to run spatial calculations) it's that grudge-holding-technology has a four-decade lag on raytracing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Violent video games exist because violence is fun.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Cyron posted:

are you sure? this thread ues to be great before it become Cyron blog.

Ftfy

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

To be fair, DStecks is an even worse poster. And I can't believe these men may control the fate of the Middle East.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

LFK posted:

The people who built the infrastructure valued spatial simulation (because it's super-duper useful for all kinds of Real Job tasks, like engineering and geology) which made the computers good at spatial simulation which starts the whole cycle of using, developing, and improving the spatial simulations.

It's not that it's more difficult to teach a computer to hold a grudge (spatial simulation is so complex that many of us buy an entire mini-computer to put into our computer just to run spatial calculations) it's that grudge-holding-technology has a four-decade lag on raytracing.

We've been working on believable social interactions with computers for about fifty years, you're conflating two different kinds of complexity in this characterization. Spatial simulation is complex in the sense that the computations take a lot of operations. Believable social interactions are complex in the sense that we're still working on finding a way to compute it in the first place.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Do you want to see this computer tell a nuanced story about gender politics and the role of women in post-sexual revolution Europe, or do you want to see it sock a few zingers!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

One person saying "I agree with Anita Sarkeesian 100%" is not equivalent to pretending there's a rule that "people in this thread must act like she is 100% right and anyone who think otherwise is a evil gator."

If DStecks being a bad poster is too much for you you might want to try not making their opinions the basis for how you think about everyone else in the thread.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

LFK posted:

Indeed. At the end of the day, Computers are designed to do, and are ridiculously loving good at, math. Physics - the location, direction, velocity, and physical properties of objects, and the ability to make decisions regarding such based on such - is exactly what Computers are for, because Physics is just a math problem. Social interactions, and simulating how people think- that's not math. Or, at the very least, it's math with so many variables involved that the equation to solve it convincingly is currently way beyond what humans comprehend. And if humans don't comprehend the math problem, then they can't teach the computer to either. After all, the computer's just executing a formula somebody already typed out in the code - it'll solve that equation orders of magnitude more quickly than we can, but it can't discover a new formula on its own. Hence, social simulations are rare and generally arrive in stunted and half-formed conditions.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If Brad Jones is depressed he should probably not be watching poo poo like Farmer's Daughters and Batpussy (again). Just hearing them summarized made me cry a little. The 70s were vile.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

If Brad Jones is depressed he should probably not be watching poo poo like Farmer's Daughters and Batpussy (again). Just hearing them summarized made me cry a little. The 70s were vile.

I don't see the harm in posting it here. I mean, it's not like I paid to see this specific message or anything, and it's not like it's secret

Brad Jones posted:

State of the Site
Hey everyone! As some of you may now, I've suffered a bit of a heartbreak in the last week. Don't worry don't worry, this isn't going to be me all moping and acting depressed or anything.

A couple days after it happened, I mentioned that I may be taking some time off (excluding the Midnight Screenings). I definitely wasn't in the right frame of mind to do any kind of work those particular days. With that being said, now that time has passed, The Cinema Snob episodes will continue on as usual. Yes, I'm still a bit a of a sad sack, and it's going to take a long while to heal, but I'm at least at a period right now where I have no problem getting back to work.

What I'm going through is a very normal thing to happen in life. It's a kick in the crotch, and when it's incredibly sudden, it's also quite a bit shocking. But there's a lot of people who go through the exact same thing, yet have no choice but to continue on with their day, be it their job, their daily routine, or simply getting out of bed. I should also be able to do my job, my job is very easy. I certainly took a few days for myself last week, and the convention last weekend was a roller coaster of emotions that was very very hard.

Sure, there's going to be days when I just want to sit around the house and do nothing, but for my set days when I have to work, I've got no problem doing my job and continuing to make content for everyone to enjoy. Does that mean that I'm over everything that happened? Lord no! And I probably won't be anytime soon. But there's a God's Not Dead 2 coming out in a couple of weeks, and goddamn it, someone's gotta tackle God's Not Dead on their show!

I've been dealing with depression for a long time, and maybe sometime I'll get a little more into that, but do you know what helps a little with depression? Tequila. No no, not the drink, that's a terrible idea. Tequila & Bonetti. I'm going to get right back into spotlighting more episodes of that very soon.

I've gotten much love and support in the last week, more than I think I've ever gotten in recent memory. Thank you so much for that. You're all incredibly wonderful people, and while I'm going through an extremely emotional rough patch, it's folks like you that make me glad that I do what I do for a living. So here's to healing, good mental health, and making some new content.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Hbomberguy posted:

One person saying "I agree with Anita Sarkeesian 100%" is not equivalent to pretending there's a rule that "people in this thread must act like she is 100% right and anyone who think otherwise is a evil gator."

If DStecks being a bad poster is too much for you you might want to try not making their opinions the basis for how you think about everyone else in the thread.

Lots of people do think that way. Idealogical Purity is for wing nuts on both the left and the right.

And it's what leads to witch hunts and reinforcing opinions and ostracism because NOT AGREEING ENOUGH. Which ends with the kind of poo poo happening at Trump rallies, college campuses, and the sheer inane rage over Anita instead of just " Ehh, well meaning but still pretty loving stupid. Whatever imma watch cute pet videos on YouTube instead of being told every game is oppressive and bad".

Which is what probably people should do. I'd much rather watch a bunch of puppies and kittens interacting with each other over "Hall of the Mountain King" than some MRA like that Omega Sin dude raging at women or Kat Bailey bitching about Castlevania when she should maybe try to get an RPG podcast that lasts more than 4 months. ( Or she should just do a Crowdfund to constantly slap Smug Douchelord Jeremy Parish for a set period of time whenever he says something smug or console fanboy. Ok, that would be always and non stop so that is probably too much.)

Basically people worry about some really silly poo poo. I mean I deal at a casino and it's hard to feel bad for people losing 1000s of dollars because if you can afford to bring that kinda scratch to play with your life ain't too bad.

I think this applies to a lot of the crap people rage on over the net. It can be fun but if say NES Spelunker or Alien 3 enrages you legitimately your life is either really kickass or your priorities are skewed.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
Gamer gate was the best thing that ever happened to Sarkeesians's career. As long as gamergate keeps throwing their temper tantrum she has a guaranteed support base manning the defenses with pure spite.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know nothing about video games and everything I have read or heard about them convinces me that this is the correct state in which to live my life.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jack Gladney posted:

Bat pussy is just funny for the dubbing alone. the original review was my favorite and I want to buy the new dvd for more insanity. the 70's was the golden age and the dark age of porno.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Also this comic fits into the theme of the derail.

I am glad CAD faded away and it legacy is a meme.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I love games like Doom and Hitman (well, Blood Money, at least), but I feel like there is a need to cut back. I remember when then the trailers and screenshots for Dishonored hit, I was just like :stare: (this is coming from someone who really like Dishonored). The problem is that there's really not a quick fix to that. It's not as if you can regulate how many games can have violence or specify the level of violence depicted.

My thinking, though, is that eventually, people are going to get tired of games like Call of Duty and whatnot, and there's going to be a gradual shift away from that style of game to something different. You'll still have shooters and such, but maybe they won't be as prominent as they are now.

Actually, thinking about Dishonored, most stealth games give you the ability to use violence, but also allow you to take a peaceful or non-lethal option, and most of them reward the player for taking that option.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Max Wilco posted:

Actually, thinking about Dishonored, most stealth games give you the ability to use violence, but also allow you to take a peaceful or non-lethal option, and most of them reward the player for taking that option.

I wonder how many games that play with this notion make it easier to be nonlethal than lethal. Ones I'm familiar with generally make it more difficult when opting not to kill (MGS series, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

TheMaestroso posted:

I wonder how many games that play with this notion make it easier to be nonlethal than lethal. Ones I'm familiar with generally make it more difficult when opting not to kill (MGS series, for example).

Zero. The "good" path is always also the harder path in literally every game that offers that sort of system.

• Locked thread