Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No the plastic one most definitely does that too. Grounds jump everywhere if they're coarse or even medium. I don't tend to have that problem when grinding fine but I'm not sure why. May just be that I'm not grinding enough at a time for it to really build up a charge.

Doesn't happen every time for us, and we only do one grind, for French Press.

Seems to be worse when it's dry in the house, ie winter time when I turn the heat up right after I get out of bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I ordered one. If mine gets charged too, I'll try to hack a ground wire and see if that makes a difference.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got a pork loin. What should I do with it?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Reverse sear is one option. They sous vide nicely too. I'd probably do some sort of "dry" rub using brown sugar and some kick.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do this, it's really easy and super delicious. It's basically loin steaks pan cooked with a simple cream sauce you flavor as you please at the end: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11897-twice-cooked-pork-tenderloin

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I got a pressure cooker this weekend and I'm in love. I have a couple questions about it though.

The instructions say that once it comes to pressure to reduce the heat until a slow, steady amount of steam comes out. I turned the heat as low as I could to where the pressure indicator was still raised fully, but the amount of steam coming out of the regulator still seemed like a healthy amount to me rather than a trickle. I'm just deathly afraid of evaporating all the water inside. After the chickpeas I cooked from dry were done, there still seemed to be plenty of water in there, but am I missing something? Should it be little puffs of steam coming out, or a steady stream with a bit of a hissing noise? It's a Presto 8 quart stainless steel, if that matters.

Second, the chickpeas I cooked. They were from dry so I gave them 35-40 minutes, after which they were still a bit crunchy so I gave them about 10 minutes more. They're completely cooked, but not quite as soft as what come out of a can. Is there any truth to legumes remaining tough if you pre-salt the water? I wanted to season them while they cooked as I've made chickpeas in the traditional stovestop simmer way before and didn't season the water and they came out really bland.

Also, the broth left over. I'm going to be using it to make soup this week. I know you can use the liquid from a can of chickpeas to make a vegan meringue, which my wife is interested in doing. Does the same go for the homemade broth from the batch I cooked?

Finally, price. I thought the local Patel Brothers would have bulk chickpeas for sale, but they don't...only Swad brand 7 lb. bags for $9. Is this a good price? I'm not quite sure where else to look but more than a dollar a pound seemed a bit much for them.

Oh one more thing...Desi chickpeas. They were really small. How different are they from the regular ones?

1) Putting the temperature lower caused the pressure regulator to come down? If you were just above that and steam was still coming out it's fine probably. Think of how much steam a totally boiling pot of water puts out, and compare that to what was coming out. It usually takes a while to boil of a significant amount of water. However I don't have experience with the "spring-top" design, only the rocker kind so I don't really know.

2) A few possibilities, most obvious to least - Are you sure you were on high pressure (I don't know if your model has high and low pressures)? Did you do the quick release, or let it cool down naturally (the latter will give it a bit more time at higher pressures to cook)? How old were the chickpeas (if they were a bit post-prime and were a bit dry to begin with they could just take longer)? What altitude are you at (for example, when I lived at 6k feet I had to add on 25% extra time to compensate)? Also as far as salt I don't think it affects beans but I haven't tested that theory.

3) I've heard you can do it with homemade broth but I haven't tried that either. I've also heard you can use other bean-liquids so I suspect it's just the proteins that allow a suspension of large amounts of air. I've wanted to mess around with that for a while, it seems like you could make a lot of fun things with it. I wanted to make it with adzuki bean broth since that's already used for desserts and it'd probably come out a pinkish color.

4) I've always seen chickpeas at a higher price than regular beans (especially higher than pintos or navy beans). I usually see them for $1+ but I usually get my beans at the fancy markets with bulk bins. I can't say I've ever seen them sub-1$ but I haven't looked for that either. Even at $2 a lb for some nice beans, you'll make a whole lot of beans out of 1lb.

6) No idea sorry!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Would that work for normal loin too?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would that work for normal loin too?

It might be better even, you'll have bigger steaks. You'll want to adjust cook times to a bit longer for the meat, too. Ordinarily the shape change would be a problem but since you're slicing into steaks it should still cook evenly. The pork should brown up nicely, and don't be afraid to keep the pan coated with butter (the remaining butter will just enrich your sauce).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So the built-in oven in this house (double wall oven) takes a solid 45 minutes to heat up, and generally seems to undercook like a motherfucker (especially on convection). It's a Bosch wall oven with at least 2 dead heating elements in the top oven; I think the bottom one works okay, but it still takes a good 20-30 minutes to heat up (and for some reason sets off every smoke alarm in the house within 5 minutes of turning on the bottom oven). I've sunk more money into the oven in repairs than what it cost brand new, so I'm just pretending it doesn't exist until I can replace it with something that's an actual double oven instead of a pile of NLA electronics that keep letting the magic smoke out.

And since I'm usually cooking for myself, well.... enter the toaster oven.

What's easy, what's decent? I have one of the nicer toaster ovens (Breville 1800 watt convection oven), and it's great for prepackaged stuff, but for actual cooking it seems like a lot of stuff doesn't translate too well in terms of time or temp. i.e. I tried to make roasted potatoes with it last night, half of them came out overcooked while half came out undercooked (despite rotating the pan several times).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Midniter posted:

I got a pressure cooker this weekend and I'm in love. I have a couple questions about it though.

The instructions say that once it comes to pressure to reduce the heat until a slow, steady amount of steam comes out. I turned the heat as low as I could to where the pressure indicator was still raised fully, but the amount of steam coming out of the regulator still seemed like a healthy amount to me rather than a trickle. I'm just deathly afraid of evaporating all the water inside. After the chickpeas I cooked from dry were done, there still seemed to be plenty of water in there, but am I missing something? Should it be little puffs of steam coming out, or a steady stream with a bit of a hissing noise? It's a Presto 8 quart stainless steel, if that matters.

Second, the chickpeas I cooked. They were from dry so I gave them 35-40 minutes, after which they were still a bit crunchy so I gave them about 10 minutes more. They're completely cooked, but not quite as soft as what come out of a can. Is there any truth to legumes remaining tough if you pre-salt the water? I wanted to season them while they cooked as I've made chickpeas in the traditional stovestop simmer way before and didn't season the water and they came out really bland.

Also, the broth left over. I'm going to be using it to make soup this week. I know you can use the liquid from a can of chickpeas to make a vegan meringue, which my wife is interested in doing. Does the same go for the homemade broth from the batch I cooked?

Finally, price. I thought the local Patel Brothers would have bulk chickpeas for sale, but they don't...only Swad brand 7 lb. bags for $9. Is this a good price? I'm not quite sure where else to look but more than a dollar a pound seemed a bit much for them.

Oh one more thing...Desi chickpeas. They were really small. How different are they from the regular ones?

Don't worry much about evaporation. I run mine full blast on the gas range until it seals then run 30-60 seconds longer until it starts to audibly vent steam. Then I turn down the heat to just about as low as I can and still keep a flame. From there if it's too loudly venting steam after a few minutes I release a little steam (mine has a vented cap across from the red button seal that shows when it's pressurized). To do this I just use a wooden spoon and lift the cap just a few millimeters and it will immediately and loudly give out a belch of steam. After that it retains pressure and is much quieter. Then I just let it keep at pressure for whatever amount of time the recipe dictates.

Do be careful with beans not to overfill the pressure cooker as they can foam up and this is potentially an issue for blocking the vents. It's not a problem if you don't overload the cooker.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How should I scale this recipe for a 13x8 dish?

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/blueberry-buckle-coffeecake-recipe

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I would do 50% more, with 2 eggs.

Maybe double the streusel.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can always use more streusel.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I was worried about it being too flat since it's made for 8x8/9x9

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

It might take a bit longer to cook due to being bigger, but I don't think anything bad will happen otherwise.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

some texas redneck posted:

So the built-in oven in this house (double wall oven) takes a solid 45 minutes to heat up, and generally seems to undercook like a motherfucker (especially on convection). It's a Bosch wall oven with at least 2 dead heating elements in the top oven; I think the bottom one works okay, but it still takes a good 20-30 minutes to heat up (and for some reason sets off every smoke alarm in the house within 5 minutes of turning on the bottom oven). I've sunk more money into the oven in repairs than what it cost brand new, so I'm just pretending it doesn't exist until I can replace it with something that's an actual double oven instead of a pile of NLA electronics that keep letting the magic smoke out.

And since I'm usually cooking for myself, well.... enter the toaster oven.

What's easy, what's decent? I have one of the nicer toaster ovens (Breville 1800 watt convection oven), and it's great for prepackaged stuff, but for actual cooking it seems like a lot of stuff doesn't translate too well in terms of time or temp. i.e. I tried to make roasted potatoes with it last night, half of them came out overcooked while half came out undercooked (despite rotating the pan several times).

I have an Oster thing I got for $50 at Costco that does basically everything. It's awesome and relatively large. I've used it for normal oven functions (including baking a pie, mini meatroafs, and cookies) when the oven in my new house was non-functional. I think it's basically this model but mine has a Turbo mode as well. Anyway I love this toaster oven.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Lawnie posted:

Do this, it's really easy and super delicious. It's basically loin steaks pan cooked with a simple cream sauce you flavor as you please at the end: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11897-twice-cooked-pork-tenderloin

Just posting to say I tried this this evening and it was really good!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

It might take a bit longer to cook due to being bigger, but I don't think anything bad will happen otherwise.

In my experience when you spread out like that without increasing the recipe it ends up significantly drier due to the increase in surface area / decrease in thickness.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

PRADA SLUT posted:

How should I scale this recipe for a 13x8 dish?

PRADA SLUT posted:

Scale it up by 13/8 = 1.625 and it should be the same thickness as the original recipe in an 8x8.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

8x8 is 64 square inches. 9x9 is 81 square inches. 9'' round is 63.62 square inches.

13x8 (weird size) is 104 square inches, so 62.5% more than the original. 13x9, which is what I assume you meant(?) is 117 square inches, for an 82.8% increase in scale.

Now you know how to fish scale up recipes.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

8x8 is 64 square inches. 9x9 is 81 square inches. 9'' round is 63.62 square inches.

13x8 (weird size) is 104 square inches, so 62.5% more than the original. 13x9, which is what I assume you meant(?) is 117 square inches, for an 82.8% increase in scale.

Now you know how to fish scale up recipes.

There's also more room the the cake to grow up -- it probably won't only be an inch high.

What I usually do is double the recipe and if there's too much throw the extra in a tiny loaf pan or muffin pan.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

nuru posted:

In my experience when you spread out like that without increasing the recipe it ends up significantly drier due to the increase in surface area / decrease in thickness.

Well yeah, I get that, but he is going to increase the recipe.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

Just posting to say I tried this this evening and it was really good!

Glad you liked it. Goes great with roasted Brussels sprouts tossed into some risotto, too, especially if you do the Dijon version (love me some Dijon and Brussels).

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Any particular type of rice I should use for red beans and rice? I'm gonna try cooking it for the first time tonight. I suppose I should reacquaint myself with the Cajun cooking thread too.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

How should dried herbs and spices be stored in relation to other foods? Some of my chocolate and other foods have a faint cumin-like taste.

At the moment all my dried herbs and spices are stored in screw top or semi open containers on one side of my pantry with all my other pantry stuff pretty close by.

This got lost on the last page. Anyone?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Red_Fred posted:

This got lost on the last page. Anyone?

I do this without issue. If you have a problem with one spice or another not being air tight maybe just throw em in a zip lock or use something else as the spice container.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I keep my chai teabags in a ziploc because my other tea started smelling of cinnamon sooo...

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I was thinking about putting them in an airtight container in my pantry. A little more admin when I need them but I like to get all the stuff I need out when I cook anyway. Thanks!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bartlebee posted:

Any particular type of rice I should use for red beans and rice? I'm gonna try cooking it for the first time tonight. I suppose I should reacquaint myself with the Cajun cooking thread too.

If you want to be authentic, then whatever the cheapest rice you can find will be perfect.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If you want to be authentic, then whatever the cheapest rice you can find will be perfect.

That's pretty much what I was guessing. Thanks!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Im making these cookies

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/easter-cookies/

The recipe calls for baking the cookies on parchment or a baking mat. I have neither. If I cook them just on a baking sheet will they stick and be ruined?

They're practically all crisco. I can't see greasing the sheet will help much.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bartlebee posted:

Cheap as mentioned. Long grain is typical to the area. I use Jasmine rice usually these days and its lovely.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ron Jeremy posted:

Im making these cookies

The recipe calls for baking the cookies on parchment or a baking mat. I have neither. If I cook them just on a baking sheet will they stick and be ruined?

Bake them on a greased aluminum foil sheet.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ron Jeremy posted:

Im making these cookies

Do you have a nonstick baking sheet? Just do that. If they have a lot of fat, I wouldn't worry much about what I baked them on. The bottoms will brown a bit faster than on a silpat though, so watch that. I definitely wouldn't grease the surface I was cooking them on though.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Im making these cookies

Just get parchment paper, it's very handy to have.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
My Stepdaughter Has Become a Vegetarian.
(OK, technically a pescatarian; she will eat some fish but she never liked a lot of seafood anyway.)

I do most of the cooking and I'm pretty meat-centric but she's there every other week and I like to support anyone in their endeavors to at least think about what they are eating.
I have been discussing with her what meat dishes she misses, or will miss; so far, the only thing she really loved that she will no longer eat is Chicken Parmesan.
What would be a good substitute for that? I've been eyeing Okara.
Can I make a good chicken parm analogue with Okara or is there something else that will work better?

My usual method is to pound chicken breasts kinda flat, flour, egg, bread crumb, shallow fry in olive oil, top with sauce and cheese, and bake.

(edit: just noticed the meat-free thread; I'll cross-post there. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437762&pagenumber=825#lastpost)

vvvvv

Tots posted:

Eggplant parmesan is bomb
Agreed. Wife and kid like that too.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 24, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Very Strange Things posted:

My Stepdaughter Has Become a Vegetarian.
(OK, technically a pescatarian; she will eat some fish but she never liked a lot of seafood anyway.)

I do most of the cooking and I'm pretty meat-centric but she's there every other week and I like to support anyone in their endeavors to at least think about what they are eating.
I have been discussing with her what meat dishes she misses, or will miss; so far, the only thing she really loved that she will no longer eat is Chicken Parmesan.
What would be a good substitute for that? I've been eyeing Okara.
Can I make a good chicken parm analogue with Okara or is there something else that will work better?

My usual method is to pound chicken breasts kinda flat, flour, egg, bread crumb, shallow fry in olive oil, top with sauce and cheese, and bake.

Eggplant parmesan is bomb

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jan posted:

Just get parchment paper, it's very handy to have.

I usually stock it, I'm just out.

I ended up just putting em on a aluminum cookie tray, one of those hollow ones. They came off just fine. I should really get a silpat though.

Cookies are pretty drat good. Might have been bland with all shortening and no butter, but the shortening makes them very tender and the orange zest gives the flavor.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
What about tempeh vs. okara? It looks like okara has some pre-prep prep that needs to be done, tempeh just comes out of the package ready to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
If you want to the fake meat route just get the Morningstar chicken sandwich patties and use them. Even thinly-sliced, well-drained fried tofu would be better than tempeh.

But actually don't do that and use eggplant instead.