Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Baal posted:

Gee, it's almost like trying to plan a release schedule around tournaments is a stupid loving idea.

This has become stupidly apparent when looking at the state of the game on release. Jesus Capcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if they are waiting for the tournament to be over its because they probably don't want to have the game be totally broken at a tournament by an unseen bug in the patch they're going to poo poo out.

its more likely that they just haven't finished it and everything is on fire over there.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Baal posted:

That is also true, but it's not gonna happen.That being said the patches are also coming with OS removals here and there so technically those are balance changes.

Yeah... having people use that brand new character released a day before that no one knows how to use yet is free advertisement... I guess.

Real hurthling! posted:

its more likely that they just haven't finished it and everything is on fire over there.

It's probably this. They don't even have a trailer or a date so I'm sure the people at Capcom are in "OH poo poo" mode and are scrambling to get it done before a deadline they're not gonna reach. Expect it on March 32nd.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Quick question: with the height restriction on Cammy's divekick, is it worth learning tiger knee style input buffering? It's obviously way easier with Chun's instant air legs, since the motion is in one direction rather than two - I've yet to get the 2149 motion to work, whereas 2369 is quite doable. Should I be putting myself through the trouble, or just go back to 9214?

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 22, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Real hurthling! posted:

if they are waiting for the tournament to be over its because they probably don't want to have the game be totally broken at a tournament by an unseen bug in the patch they're going to poo poo out.

If the patch is supposed to be released soon, but it's not out yet it's probably done and going through approval. I have no doubt it's still WIP, but the actual legwork on the development side for the character and OS Removal is done more than likely. If Capcom isn't changing the month of when it's gong to be released yet.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah... having people use that brand new character released a day before that no one knows how to use yet is free advertisement... I guess.

I mean if a person wants to use a character with only a day of practice, I don't see any reason to say no since insane bugs and poo poo usually take more time to discover?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Corbeau posted:

Quick question: with the height restriction on Cammy's divekick, is it worth learning tiger knee style input buffering? It's obviously way easier with Chun's instant air legs, since the motion is in one direction rather than two - I've yet to get the 2149 motion to work, whereas 2369 is quite doable. Should I be putting myself through the trouble, or just go back to 9214?

2149 definitely works as I've done it in training mode, but it isn't easy and I doubt I'll actually be doing it in actual matches any time soon. You need to delay the button press for a while.

Her TK EX divekick seems harder to do in SF5 than it was in SF4. Probably either a higher height restriction or I'm just mis-remembering because I haven't seriously played SF4 in quite a while

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

2149 definitely works as I've done it in training mode...You need to delay the button press for a while.

if someone is good at this i would love a video with inputs turned on so i can get a sense of the timing

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

will the change in jump frames from 3 to 4 make it slightly easier to do minimum height inputs for air legs and the like? I think it would, but I forget if it only affects neutral jump or if it affects up forward, too. Still neutral jump iall is probably the most difficult.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

if someone is good at this i would love a video with inputs turned on so i can get a sense of the timing

Notsomuch on the "someone good at this" but here's a little of Bafael doing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKzxog_bbK4&t=3552s. He gets a couple, and said he thinks the EX and trigger versions have a little lower high requirement

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I expect nothing more than more stuff breaking in a few hours. I doubt I'll even be getting my original CFN ID back until April at the earliest.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I expect nothing more than more stuff breaking in a few hours. I doubt I'll even be getting my original CFN ID back until April at the earliest.

what happened to your ID?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

croutonZA posted:

Also, why is everyone on the internet losing their loving mind about Haunt's troll the other night? It was kinda awkward but people are acting like Capcom took a poo poo in their mouths or something.

I'm one of the biggest proponents of this game, but even I thought not giving an Alex teaser and instead trolling the FGC at the end of Final Round was horrible move.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Microwaves Mom posted:

what happened to your ID?

I got someone else's name on my account and I can't create lobbies since it happened.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah this is a really fun game and I want to like it more, but all these technical and development problems are really annoying. I have a few friends who are holding off getting the game until it's more complete, and right now I woul;d have to agree with them. The game is still basically a beta and if Capcom was smart they would have released it as a working beta to let the diehards fight in tournaments while the casuals wait for their complete game.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Baal posted:

Gee, it's almost like trying to plan a release schedule around tournaments is a stupid loving idea.

ive said in the past i would prefer an old school big update once a year but then people are like what its great with constant new content hurrr duhhhh im a big poopy moron gurrr and im like yeah we'll see

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dangerdoom volvo posted:

ive said in the past i would prefer an old school big update once a year but then people are like what its great with constant new content hurrr duhhhh im a big poopy moron gurrr and im like yeah we'll see

Well, the problem isn't with constant content influx, but with Capcom clearly being unable to handle that type of schedule as promised. Them trying to plan around tournaments is a reflex of that, might as well either just patch it and tell people to deal with it or make sure it's unpatched until the following tournament (which would be a massive headache for TOs).

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Dias posted:

Them trying to plan around tournaments is a reflex of that,

I keep hearing that they are doing this, but I've never seen anything actually from capcom about them doing this. I heard that the release itself was rushed because of tournament schedule too, but again I've never seen any actual thing from capcom. where is this from?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is no actual confirmation the game was released the way it was because of Capcom Cup, that is just an assumption people are making because it justifies the reason it was released with so little content in February. The only other reason is Capcom thought the game would do well for the end of the fiscal year.

Either way incompetency lies on them and only them for thinking it would end up being okay.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

bhsman posted:

EDIT: ^^^I'd argue Eliza is played up a bit as a sex symbol up until the second you start using her moves :v:

I see guys like BJUnchained pressure with st.MK on wakeup a lot, so maybe it's a good way to change things up.

I'm down, I just usually have been so busy between school (last semester of law school :sweatdrop:) and work that most of my time playing SFV has just been grinding out combos in training mode and then a smattering of sets with some friends.

My condolences

Message me if you go insane during your bar prep

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

I keep hearing that they are doing this, but I've never seen anything actually from capcom about them doing this. I heard that the release itself was rushed because of tournament schedule too, but again I've never seen any actual thing from capcom. where is this from?

Baal covered it, pretty much. It's not confirmed, but I remember a couple of lines from CPT-involved people that went "don't complain about the lack of content, Capcom did it for the competitive scene's sake". Since it makes sense, a lot of people are assuming they're connected in at least SOME way.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
I think since they ran ads on tv and shipped Ono to any media outlet they could think of they thought the game was ready for everyone, not just competitive players.

teagone posted:

I'm one of the biggest proponents of this game, but even I thought not giving an Alex teaser and instead trolling the FGC at the end of Final Round was horrible move.

Fair enough. Haunts' should've really have known better, I was just a bit surprised by the backlash especially on the SF subreddit that's generally got Capcom's back no matter what.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

If they wanted to keep the new capcom cup season purely SF V, I wonder why they couldn't just delay the start of it until after the first three tournaments. Then they could have pushed back the release until March when it had most of their intended features, and probably gotten better reviews. But these dates are decided way in advance when they probably didn't realize how behind schedule their software would be.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

It's a really lovely launch and they try to troll people who are the most dedicated players. Did anyone see the look of pure confusion and disappointment on Infiltration's face when he's just lying down there and the Rashido music is playing. I think he was still expecting a trailer when everyone started booing.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It was worth it for James Chen's reaction when they cut to him

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Final Round was awesome and I look forward to Infiltration winning everything for the foreseeable future.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Zand posted:

It's assumption. But just look at the bland esportsy gloss on the whole package and suddenly all those assumptions seem more than fair. Capcom is going in hard on the e-sports thing this time around. You didn't buy NBA2K16, you bought A Basketball.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Help Im Alive posted:

It was worth it for James Chen's reaction when they cut to him

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

Final Round was awesome and I look forward to Infiltration winning everything for the foreseeable future.

:agreed:

Was he even using the fuzzy jump last weekend? I saw all of tokido, haitani, mago, and go1 using it or adapting to it if faced up with one of those dudes (tokido's explosion on haitani for example, haitani's wakeup jabs). It seems pretty potent if you aren't in the corner yet

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 22, 2016

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Perhaps Capcom is not so smart?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Everyone should change their CFNID to CRAPCOM

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

It's assumption. But just look at the bland esportsy gloss on the whole package and suddenly all those assumptions seem more than fair. Capcom is going in hard on the e-sports thing this time around. You didn't buy NBA2K16, you bought A Basketball.

I have no idea what you mean by this. Bland esportsy gloss?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they couldn't even get a swear filter into the name creation process

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
So lets assemble a list of no brainer things to have in this game at release. In no particular order of importance.

1. A lobby with more than 2 people in it.
2. Direct Input for PCs
3. The ability to select and remember favorite colors / costumes for characters you select.
4. A second Alternate color choice in case someone else likes the same colors as you and gets the primary over you
5. An online training mode
6. Not having a training dummy reset to off on everything every time you get a match so you have to turn it all back on.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I feel like for my level this game has very little to offer. I don't like ranked. ( i feel like people play stupidly and it takes too long to rank up to 'good' people)

I don't play randoms and the person I played sf4 with since vanilla is more interested in the division than this game.

It also feels like there aren't enough archetypes.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 23, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Hobojim posted:

I have no idea what you mean by this. Bland esportsy gloss?

More assumptions about the launch. What's actually working? Ranked, recording matches, simple training mode, the core gameplay. These are the most important things (eyeballing) to a "competitive minded" player. Story? Expanded tutorial? Arcade mode? After thought/will come later, because casuals are not the demographic. We don't need flashy trailers or CGI cutscenes, we need this poo poo to look like ESPN.

SFV just seems very purposefully pulled back on presentation to me, because they are targeting the hardcore fanbase over the casual fanbase this time around.

There's not going to be an Arcade Mode. Ranked is the new/true Arcade Mode. Be glad they're not charging a quarter to queue up.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 23, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Microwaves Mom posted:

So lets assemble a list of no brainer things to have in this game at release. In no particular order of importance.

2. Direct Input for PCs
3. The ability to select and remember favorite colors / costumes for characters you select.
4. A second Alternate color choice in case someone else likes the same colors as you and gets the primary over you
6. Not having a training dummy reset to off on everything every time you get a match so you have to turn it all back on.

I feel like online training mode is something that always sound better than it is.

I use training mode exclusively for grinding out combos. On rare occasions set ups.
Having another person online doing that with me serves no purpose.

Everything else I agree with I guess.

3 exists.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Microwaves Mom posted:

2. Direct Input for PCs

I agree with 3, and only 3, of these. And one of the others already exists.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

SectumSempra posted:

I feel like online training mode is something that always sound better than it is.

I use training mode exclusively for grinding out combos. On rare occasions set ups.
Having another person online doing that with me serves no purpose.

Everything else I agree with I guess.

3 exists.

Online training mode is amazing for showing something to someone and is a great teaching tool. If you aren't teaching anybody or being taught by anybody, sure, it's useless.

It's also kind of fun for just beating up on your buddy with infinite life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

SectumSempra posted:

I feel like for my level this game has very little to offer. I don't like ranked. ( i feel like people play stupidly and it takes too long to rank up to 'good' people)

I don't play randoms and the person I played sf4 with since vanilla is more interested in the division than this game.

It also feels like there aren't enough archetypes.

Bummer, I'm kinda busy this weekend but if you need a friend in the Midwest I'm down to play with you here and then. I'm a copper tier player at best.