Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Blue Star Error posted:

This is true of every city with an aiport, with the added bonus that in most of them, grass grows naturally, exerting yourself at the wrong time of day won't hospitalise you, and you don't get executed for being a gay alcoholic.

I was commenting that the country is about the size of Connecticut and there's only one city, so you don't have to pack up and move to follow the team.

But yes, you're also very right, it will be a poo poo show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I can't decide what's better, Blatter's son's company being bought out or Qatar's Joe Arpaio-style tent city.

All this just in time for a boring international break

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Hoops posted:

Is Qatar even a nice place to go as a tourist?

No it's giant sandpit which has a similar temperature and humidity to a Turkish Bath. There is one moderately sized city where half the population are indentured servants and the only entertainment is beating the aforementioned indentured servants and visiting giant megamalls.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hoops posted:

Is Qatar even a nice place to go as a tourist?

No, setting aside the fact that its hot and both senses of the word dry there's nothing to do there. What few tourist sites they have will probably be miserable to visit during the World Cup due to the crowds.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
I'm calling it now.

Russia gets to keep their WC only because Putin is still too big of a oval office to gently caress with ..... for now.

Qatar will get their prize pulled, no refunds. you cheated sand people and we have proof ... gently caress you!
Awarded to the USA.

Business as usual.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Nucken Futz posted:

I'm calling it now.

Russia gets to keep their WC only because Putin is still too big of a oval office to gently caress with ..... for now.

Qatar will get their prize pulled, no refunds. you cheated sand people and we have proof ... gently caress you!
Awarded to the USA.

Business as usual.

Would they be able to host on short notice? Wouldn't lots of infrastructure be needed?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

African AIDS cum posted:

Would they be able to host on short notice? Wouldn't lots of infrastructure be needed?

No, we have plenty of hotels and sports stadiums already. US honestly has the infrastructure to host four of them simultaneously.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
but all the Middle Eastern teams won't be allowed to participate in America in the near future

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

There's only one country suitable for hosting a short notice world cup. It's coming home

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cliff Racer posted:

No, we have plenty of hotels and sports stadiums already. US honestly has the infrastructure to host four of them simultaneously.

Four poo poo world cups. Let's not forget the lessons of USA '94.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

There's only one country suitable for hosting a short notice world cup. It's coming home

Ach du meinst "es kommt wieder nach Hause" :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pissflaps posted:

Four poo poo world cups. Let's not forget the lessons of USA '94.

Yeah I don't think they were saying four *good* world cups, just that they could physically exist in the stadia we have and people wouldn't die from the heat. Except the matches played in texas...

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
The island of Great Britain would be the best host for the World Cup and people would love it.

Steves Asleep
Jun 5, 2005

Hoops posted:

The island of Great Britain would be the best host for the World Cup and people would love it.

Football should come home imo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
You guys are missing the big FIFA opportunity here. Qatar gets yanked but they decide it's best to keep the World Cup in Asia because FIFA is all about spreading the world's game. So of course benevolent China steps in and offers to help, perfect opportunity to funnel billions of dollars into the right pockets during rapid construction of ten new football stadiums.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I would go to a China World Cup. I bet it would be fun. Lots of fans, lots to do, cheap booze, seems good.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Also, most vuvuzelas were made in China so they've got plenty on hand.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Nucken Futz posted:

I'm calling it now.

Awarded to the USA.

Business as usual.

In Trump fashion I am for the deal.

Move WC to the USA but offer all 200,000 native Qataris free travel, 5 star accommodation and match tickets. They'd take that deal.

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

Gigi Galli posted:

I would go to a China World Cup. I bet it would be fun. Lots of fans, lots to do, cheap booze, seems good.

Same. When China does something, they do it big. And they actually care about football.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Kwagga posted:

Same. When China does something, they do it big. And they actually care about football.

https://streamable.com/lsb6

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Seems orderly enough

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

that's me when I go to an all you can eat in Miami

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

http://i.imgur.com/Pd8m1qt.gifv

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Was it a special once a year deal for really cheap shrimp where they intentionally didn't stock enough of them?

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

Cliff Racer posted:

Was it a special once a year deal for really cheap shrimp where they intentionally didn't stock enough of them?

It was an all you can eat buffet in Thailand with lovely Chinese tourists.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Let's get this dumb thread back on track please, post about how bad fifa is or don't post at all.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

FIFA is bad

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
fifa is....good :twisted:

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

I beg your pardon?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Abortions for some. Miniature american flags for others.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
FIFA is so corrupt, the US government looked at it and said "drat, that's corrupt."

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

CaptainYesterday posted:

FIFA is so corrupt, the US government looked at it and said "drat, that's corrupt."

The US government doesn't consider itself corrupt because it uses legal lobbying, campaign donations, and cherry picked contracts instead of illegal bribes.

FIFA just needs to learn to make their bribery part of the system!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35873480

They're going after Franz and friends now.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Gut.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The World Cup in Germany was cool and it's a shame they had to bribe their way to hosting it.

I had a fantastic time camping in gardens, drinking in Munchen and getting left behind passed out in Koln while my friends went back to Gelsenkirchen.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

JFairfax posted:

The World Cup in Germany was cool and it's a shame they had to bribe their way to hosting it.

I had a fantastic time camping in gardens, drinking in Munchen and getting left behind passed out in Koln while my friends went back to Gelsenkirchen.
Don't forget that was the World Cup where FIFA tried to force everyone to drink Budweiser even though it was being held in loving Germany.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Crazy Ted posted:

Don't forget that was the World Cup where FIFA tried to force everyone to drink Budweiser even though it was being held in loving Germany.

Just shows how powerful the Czechs are

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

porkface posted:

Just shows how powerful the Czechs are

Inbev is actually Belgian...

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Crazy Ted posted:

That's nothing, in England the EPL forces you to eat English food in their stadiums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Shrapnig posted:

Inbev is actually Belgian...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_Budvar_Brewery