Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol if you don't cringe and want to die every time you get a meeting reminder in outlook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

FizFashizzle posted:

lol if you don't cringe and want to die every time you get a meeting reminder in outlook

You forgot the worst sin - same-day meeting requests. Motherfucker, I only mentally prepared for three meetings this morning.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

this is physically painful :negative:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Radbot posted:

You forgot the worst sin - same-day meeting requests. Motherfucker, I only mentally prepared for three meetings this morning.

why wasn't this meeting an email?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

gently caress the NYPD

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

why wasn't this meeting an email?

Because if managers don't force their subordinates to watch them do stupid data entry tasks (usually in the slowest way humanly possible) over Webex then they wouldn't have any validation of their Authoritah.

The amount of time I have spent watching a manager or "scrum master" dick around in JIRA or Rally is asinine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Xae posted:

Because if managers don't force their subordinates to watch them do stupid data entry tasks (usually in the slowest way humanly possible) over Webex then they wouldn't have any validation of their Authoritah.

The amount of time I have spent watching a manager or "scrum master" dick around in JIRA or Rally is asinine.

Jeaus, I'm glad my company isn't like that. Our PM just managed the client and expects us to do our jobs like adults without being told.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I created a meeting for myself from 12-1 every day with status as "busy" so nobody can loving invite me to any goddamn lunch meetings

"But this was the only time everyone was available" yeah no poo poo because it's loving lunch!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Radbot posted:

Same day brown bag working lunch after action review :stare:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

foobardog posted:

He's setting up a chance to poo poo on the actual citizens and taxpayers of DC. Basically, politicians like to pretend that it's DC itself that sucks up all the money, and that DC is nothing but the government buildings themselves, and not an actually huge metro area in its own right. It's the type of state level "those liberal bastards in the BIG CITY taking ARE MONEY" bullshit rural representatives use applied to the nation, even though it makes less sense than it does there.

The only people who are really rolling in government money in DC are defense contractors. The cranes you see are primarily building high end real estate ("from the several millions") type stuff.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Lemming posted:

I created a meeting for myself from 12-1 every day with status as "busy" so nobody can loving invite me to any goddamn lunch meetings

"But this was the only time everyone was available" yeah no poo poo because it's loving lunch!

How did I never think of this?

Thank you.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

I've never set foot in Arizona but for some reason I wound up on the AZ Democratic Party's email list.

Apparently a lot of people are upset with disorganization during today's primary.

Edit: lol beat

https://twitter.com/maffeomedia/status/712456111169757184

democracy at work

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Amergin posted:

That Obama piled on top of rather than trying to reduce it? Yes.

GWB racked up a debt, Obama racked up deficits to add to it.

EDIT: That's ignoring the other point that liberals cannot let Obama take the blame for anything, it always has to be linked to GWB. Going around your elbow to get to your rear end doesn't make a convincing argument.

Your gay

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Joementum posted:

Same day brown bag working lunch after action review :stare:
Yeah, I charge overhead for those.

Any word as to why? Did AZ put some restrictive polling place rules in place or something?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Any word as to why? Did AZ put some restrictive polling place rules in place or something?

I know I got disenfranchised because I didn't change my party affiliation and didn't register in time for their arbitrary cut-off.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Work graveyards. I'm alone 6hr of the day and get paid 10k/yr more. Free coffee too. Taste us equivalent to a Ted Cruz speech if Im dumb enough to pick the almost-empty drum but gently caress it's free.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They randomly changed a bunch of Democratic registrations to third party and are probably generally lovely, but I think a lot of these election clusterfucks this time around stem from "election funding is a great place to cut funding" which is why poo poo hole states keep having these problems

As time goes on and it's clear that turnout is way above anticipation this time it becomes more and more stupid when states aren't ready

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

They apparently have only around a third of the polling places compared to 2012. Probably just looking for ways to cut costs, and when you're a Republican basic democracy seems ripe for cutting.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Litany Unheard posted:

They apparently have only around a third of the polling places compared to 2012. Probably just looking for ways to cut costs, and when you're a Republican basic democracy seems ripe for cutting.

Keep in mind our governor is a total poo poo head and our legislature is packed with the worst ignorant Tea Party idiots you can find. So yeah, budget cuts to essential entitlements and services everywhere.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

They went from 400 polling places for the 2008 primary down to 60.

I talked to my mom who went to the training for the upcoming november election and they made a big switch from laptops to tablets for printing out ballots (so you aren't tied to one specific polling place), and she thinks that 1) the volunteers doing this for free aren't exactly the most tech savvy people around and 2) it sounded like they only allocated 2 tablets per polling place

Also they ended up running out of ballots at some places and had to run out for more

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

DemeaninDemon posted:

Work graveyards. I'm alone 6hr of the day and get paid 10k/yr more. Free coffee too. Taste us equivalent to a Ted Cruz speech if Im dumb enough to pick the almost-empty drum but gently caress it's free.

statistically the graveyard shift correlates with losing a couple of years off of your lifespan

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

hifi posted:

I talked to my mom who went to the training for the upcoming november election and they made a big switch from laptops to tablets for printing out ballots (so you aren't tied to one specific polling place), and she thinks that 1) the volunteers doing this for free aren't exactly the most tech savvy people around and 2) it sounded like they only allocated 2 tablets per polling place

Also they ended up running out of ballots at some places and had to run out for more

loving arizona

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

hifi posted:

Lol I'm just imagining trying to teach the octogenarians who run my polling location to use tablets.

It's at a retirement community and while they're nice folks, they don't seem equipped to deal with electronics more complex than the Casio they're wearing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Xae posted:

Nah, there is something worse than tech people with poo poo communication skills, it is non-technical people being forced into technical positions.

I've spent half of the last week or so trying to teach the basics of PL/SQL to BA. We're hard up for developers and she got voluntold for a career switch after listing herself as an expert in SQL. She wasn't even close to an expert, but to the non-technical crowd being able to write a query with a where clause qualifies as expert. And since the entire management of the team is non-technical they don't see the problem. It is a waste of time and talent for everyone involved.

It is really perverse that in many organizations the core skills and abilities required for the organization are the least respected. They would never dream of just forcing a developer to be a BA or manager. But they'll just assume any BA or manager can self-learn programming and development in a couple of days.

A lot of people went into fields that weren't tech jobs only to find out ten years later that they suddenly are working a tech job. I feel really bad for them because I know just how horrible I would find it if my job gradually kept adding tasks that I didn't have proficiency in which kept me from actually using my other skills to their fullest.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/712457104515317764

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/712464268621385728

:munch:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Senf posted:

loving arizona

It's been every GOP-held legislature state so far for some reason

I can understand the first few states getting swamped but come on now

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Just woke up, am I too late for jokes about Ted Cruz cribbing his security policy from The Siege?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

statistically the graveyard shift correlates with losing a couple of years off of your lifespan

And you get more money during that shorter lifespan. It's really sounding like a win-win to me.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Then I die at 85 instead of 87. Big whoop.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Free coffee though....

I worked night shift in the past and by far the best part was that upper management didn't work night shifts and didn't implement changes on night shifts because they always wanted to supervise things (to quickly take credit or shift blame depending on how the change went).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

God, even if I get intellectually, I'll never really understand what so many people see in such unabashed, petulant, greasy, craven little shitstains.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Is it bad that I am rooting for Trump in this instance?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I thought Cruz would take down his wife himself before she risks hurting his campaign.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I don't really see how the changing registration thing (read about it earlier) could affect lines this much, but drat - cutting polling places that much while also implementing changes in polling specifics? Gg Arizona.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

So is there some little known dirt on Heidi Cruz or is Trump just starting another fight? I'd assume the latter but I don't know a thing about Heidi Cruz.

Edit: she worked at Goldman Sachs and helped her husband get that loan, right?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

What about a schedule where I generally work 2 nights, 2 mornings, and then an overnight shift? No, no one I work with can think of more than a couple of air traffic controllers over the age of 70. Why do you ask?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't really see how the changing registration thing (read about it earlier) could affect lines this much, but drat - cutting polling places that much while also implementing changes in polling specifics? Gg Arizona.

Oh the registration didn't hurt, it just means they got provisional ballots. Probably they planned on just throwing these ballots out later to depress Democratic turnout but that plan is foiled now because EVERYBODY is getting provisionals lmao

Nomad175
Oct 14, 2012

By not beating me, he has beaten me.

Crowsbeak posted:

Is it bad that I am rooting for Trump in this instance?

considering the fact that, as far as i can tell, the issue in question seems to be that Heidi Cruz had a major depressive episode back in '05, yes it is.

i mean, Ted Cruz is a piece of poo poo and everything, but bringing up someone's mental health history to mock them is lovely no matter who they're married to

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Something other than Trump dominating the headlines for a few days? Unacceptable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nomad175 posted:

considering the fact that, as far as i can tell, the issue in question seems to be that Heidi Cruz had a major depressive episode back in '05, yes it is.

i mean, Ted Cruz is a piece of poo poo and everything, but bringing up someone's mental health history to mock them is lovely no matter who they're married to

Oh never mind; I thought it was just about her and Goldman Sachs. Thats actually horrible,

• Locked thread