Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A big flaming stink posted:

When was the last time a tribe was constructed viable? I think it was ISD + RTR Naya humans which was really just a slightly worse version of naya blitz.

Did you miss lorwyn or something?

Not only was faeries viable, it was the best deck.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

When was the last time a tribe was constructed viable? I think it was ISD + RTR Naya humans which was really just a slightly worse version of naya blitz.

Merfolk are still viable today.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Merfolk are still viable today.

Didn't Legacy Goblins win an Open not too long ago too? Elves is also a big deck in Legacy too right?

And hell Modern Goblins is actually pretty sweet now after Oath, it finally has a consistent thing it does. It's definitely a decent tier 2 deck.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume he means standard. I'd argue 'colorless' is basically a slightly wider tribe that's doing well now.

deftest
May 7, 2011
Also goblin piledriver was kicking around standard when it first came out. Definitely made some results before control decks started figuring out the format.

Innistrad/RTR had both zombies and aristocrats, the latter of which maybe was slightly less linear than your average tribal deck... but his lordship Vorthos would have approved.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
There was Scars/INN BR Zombies, didn't have any lord effects, just Gravecrawler using the typing. INN/RTR Goblins were okay too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Eldrazi?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

R/B Vampires won tournaments during the menace of Cawblade/Valakut

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My assumption is that tribal strategies arent usually pushed to be tier 1 decks for Standard since WotC knows there's a segment of the player base that loves playing with it regardless of power level.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

whydirt posted:

My assumption is that tribal strategies arent usually pushed to be tier 1 decks for Standard since WotC knows there's a segment of the player base that loves playing with it regardless of power level.
This is, in fact, an incorrect assumption- as per Friday's Latest Developments column:

Sam Stoddard posted:

Of course, getting that to work for Limited is one thing; Constructed is another animal. While most of the tribal decks in Innistrad were overshadowed in Constructed by Primeval Titan in Wolf Run Ramp—and Delver of Secrets—the decks did exist. Humans, Spirits, Vampires, and Zombies all had decks, clearly of those tribes, that succeeded, if not at the Pro Tour level then certainly at the store level. We wanted to repeat that success with Shadows over Innistrad.

They explicitly are trying to push tribal in standard.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i don't see how you can look at cards like Falkenrath Gorger or Relentless Dead and not get the feeling that they're trying to make tribal a standard thing

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
That article is backing my point. They will push tribal for casual and FNM level play, even if it doesn't dominate the Pro Tour. People will play it even if it's not the best deck.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

The event is at Brothers Grim in Selden. That's Eastern Long Island.

I wish this wasn't like 2hrs away from Brooklyn. I would draft for cattes because I love the cattes even though I suck at drafting.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

whydirt posted:

That article is backing my point. They will push tribal for casual and FNM level play, even if it doesn't dominate the Pro Tour. People will play it even if it's not the best deck.
What? Those two points don't link at all.
They don't "target for the store level". They want tribal to be good, but they can't predict what the actual Tier 1 decks will be. They just don't have the time or resources to do that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

whydirt posted:

Seems unlikely, that would require someone at my store to not be playing Triskaidekaphobia.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why is saviors of kamigawa a "notorious" set?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

There were 2 relevant constructed cards, one printed for as a SB hoser for a deck that very quickly got entirely banned out (Kataki), and the other just a plain sideboard card (Pithing Needle). Literally only 2 relevant cards, both sideboard answers that no one gets excited about.

Also it completely ruined the relatively decent limited format of the previous sets with its headlining mechanic (having more cards in your hand than your opponent). Because of the mechanic, it was basically better to just draw your card, not play a land, not cast a spell, and pass the turn in a lot of situations in limited because the moment your opponent had more cards in hand than you their stuff turned on and you would die. This applies for both players. So you'd have people with 3 lands and 1 creature out on turn 4, both holding multiple lands and castable spells, and draw going until they hit 8 cards in hand to play 1 land, still do nothing, and repeat this process until turn 15.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

It's the set with the highest concentration of Maro/card.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I feel like some of the Sweep cards were really underrated in limited tbh, Sink Into Takenuma was a serious blowout for instance.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Algid posted:

i believe the technical term is 'asfan'

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Algid posted:

what you mean like kagemaro and all those. yeah it was a bad cycle but i don't think it's the reason the set was bad

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Of course its all of the problems in the set that cause Sink Into Takenuma to be such a strong card, and it was really hard to punish people for holding on to their cards otherwise.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
At the prerelease, I played Barrel Down Sokenzan on my own Homura to turn all my guys into dragons. Saviors was great.

Not really

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Baron Porkface posted:

Its fundamental mechanic is not playing cards. It introduced ability words by an ability that undoes all your hard work of draw-land-going.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

At the prerelease, I played Barrel Down Sokenzan on my own Homura to turn all my guys into dragons. Saviors was great.

Not really

splicing overblaze onto barrel down sokenzan then casting the overblaze has won me a number of games in borborygmos enraged edh so saviors actually owned.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The white sweep cards were beyond stupid

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Algid posted:

Wouldn't that be Urza's Destiny? :v:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I'd assume it's just a joke, since Maro wasn't involved with Saviors at all.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Manriki-Gusari saw some sideboard play in Legacy in 2012 for Stoneforge mirrors.

And I'm told Celestial Kirin was okay.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

That "have lots of cards in hand" mechanic others mentioned came in two forms: have more than your opponent, and have 7 or more cards in hand. Let's look at an example card:

That's a common red creature. It's a 2/1 for 2; it's supposed to be aggressive. But the card pays you for having 7 cards in hand by doubling in size. This means that, rather than attacking and throwing burn around like red decks usually do, you're supposed to do nothing for like 4 turns while you just draw cards. This isn't fun.

The set also had a legendarily weak power level (as others said, there were really only two kind-of playable cards in the whole set); check out the set on Gatherer and sort by community rating > ascending. Not only are there a lot of completely poo poo cards, but most of the best cards aren't even block constructed playable. A couple found second homes in EDH, but even then, there's usually a much better or more efficient option for the same effect.

MaRo has said that Saviors is one of the worst-designed sets of all time, alongside Homelands and Fallen Empires. I think he's right.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sweep is quite possibly the worst mechanic that ever made it to print, especially taking into consideration the rest of the set it was in.

I really, really enjoyed Champions and Betrayers and a lot of thing things they brought to the game, despite their numerous flaws. But Saviors? gently caress that poo poo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Shortest Path posted:

Sweep is quite possibly the worst mechanic that ever made it to print, especially taking into consideration the rest of the set it was in.

Epic?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

sarmhan posted:

I'd assume it's just a joke, since Maro wasn't involved with Saviors at all.

The joke being there were five Maro rares.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Epic is fine as a cycle of weird cool rares, they probably just didn't need to keyword it and make it one of the official mechanics of the set.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Star Man posted:

Manriki-Gusari saw some sideboard play in Legacy in 2012 for Stoneforge mirrors.

It's probably going to see more play once EMA is out too :(

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Probably the only good thing to come out of that set, honestly. It was still terribly implemented but at least it was neat and led to one of the coolest Extended decks of all time.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Champs block was one of the heights of my magic career, mainly because the standard of the game at the time was so terrible. The cards were so bad and the mechanics so insular that as soon as Rav block was introduced to the format only the most broken Kamigawa block cards continued to see play - Jitte, Top, and little else.

Even the playable cards in the set were bad by all other standards, and across all 3 sets there's still MAYBE only a handful of playable cards.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Balon posted:

Champs block was one of the heights of my magic career, mainly because the standard of the game at the time was so terrible. The cards were so bad and the mechanics so insular that as soon as Rav block was introduced to the format only the most broken Kamigawa block cards continued to see play - Jitte, Top, and little else.

Even the playable cards in the set were bad by all other standards, and across all 3 sets there's still MAYBE only a handful of playable cards.

This is brushing aside a lot - Kamigawa's actually done pretty good in an eternal sense, and Kamigawa / Ravnica had a good amount of Kamigawa cards all the way through.

Off the top of my head:

- Glimpse of Nature
- Enduring Ideal
- Maga
- Shoals
- Gifts Ungiven
- Hand of Honor / Cruelty
- Owling Mine
- Kodama of the North Tree
- MICHAEL J FLORES FAVORITE, GNARLED MASS

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
oh and Sakura-Tribe Elder was/is amazing, and Kodama's Reach is still the gold standard for ramp spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Niton posted:

oh and Sakura-Tribe Elder was/is amazing, and Kodama's Reach is still the gold standard for ramp spells.

Hisoka's Defiance doesn't counter Cultivate. :colbert:

• Locked thread